New Forums will be here on Tuesday

General
11/11/2018 23:00Posted by Brewny
Will we still a white flash every time we refresh the damn page?

Omg yes, it's terrible when I read the forums 10 minutes before I sleep, in the dark.

And please no more redirections when I try to open up the character profile from the forums. Hey blizz, I bought the game already and a bunch of other things, no need to advertise BfA to me anymore.
I think it's a way to give posters more opportunities (links, gifs, videos, etc.) whilst at the same time curbing the worst trolls and the havoc they can cause by effectively limiting their posting opportunities until they've become "regular posters".

I just think people should post because they have something to say (even if it's trolling), not because they are trying to meet some quota. It gives me an unpleasant "carrot on a stick" feeling. Trolls are usually regular posters actually, while many new players just look for help - unless I missread what you are saying. I really don't feel the need for animated gifs on the forums, sure I smile on the occasional page wide facepalm ascii code - I mean, it's a classic, but I like the clean look that wow forums have without memes and all kinds of colourful stickers.

12/11/2018 10:47Posted by Jito
Mmm I like reading your posts. The new forum will be fine. The first time you see the Overwatch forum it looks awful – but that's because it's new, and new is uncomfortable. Once you get used to it it'll be fine, I think. People hated the current forums as well when we switched to those in Cataclysm :P

Thanks for the appreciation - and maybe you are right. I guess I'm just feeling a bit too old for not liking all these flashy looks. As for the wow forums, I was hoping the brown colour is just a thing for the expansion, but seems we're stuck with it :P. I still remember fondly the old forums.
11/11/2018 23:58Posted by Korrina
11/11/2018 23:39Posted by Gráinne
Oh no. :( The current one is degraded enough; the new one is even worse.
Looking at the Overwatch forums was just depressing. However, I'll wait until I see how good it is on mobile before I jump to any conclusions.

Overwatch's forums looks awfully a lot like Discourse theme (Forum software)
Yeey... but then you look at endless scrolling without pages (BOO!) and Emoji/icon filled posts. Yeah, time ruins everything. Even forums. :p
12/11/2018 14:24Posted by Adriloth
Overwatch's forums looks awfully a lot like Discourse theme (Forum software)

Well, they will sure fit the new WoW Moba when it comes out :-P

More seriously: yes, the endless scrolling pages sounds horrible.
12/11/2018 03:15Posted by Gráinne
It's a third party forum software package: https://www.discourse.org/ for those of you who are interested in such things.

Just quoting this to highlight. The Trust Level system is a feature of the forum package that Blizzard is adopting here.

Discourse will be new for those of us who are used to traditional forum software, but it should offer us features that will improve the forum experience.
Reading those trust levels requirement is scary, I ain't lab rat or somebody who plays the forum game. "trust level 0 can not make more than 10 replies" or "read post for 1 hour every, 50 days every 100 days". I can now understand why forum participation went down fast at OW then.

Also to the people endless isn't bad, see some the thread take the capped ones and extended ones. No they don't give lag at all, when I opened those in Firefox it immetdiatly slowed down the broswser tab to a crawl...

And also the reading post, considering they will take the average and I'm a fast reader, that means my read posts will not be counted unless I AFK... Great systeem! Why even track this? This is like school all over again, "Why aren't you reading/studying?" I'm already done, how long till you know I'm a fast reader?! FFS!

12/11/2018 07:05Posted by Saphiramoon
I went to the OW forums to see how they look and I got a headache after 5 minutes. It looks like facebook conversations with posts within posts and for some reason the posts also repeat in the general topic. There's also so much useless stuff like counters and all kinds of icons that I don't know, nor do I care about. I thought the current format was space wasting compared to the old one, but I could understand the need for more friendly mobile format. The new one basically barely has something worth reading in a pile of junk counters.

But these ....trust levels thingies, it just makes me think of facebook games. And yeah, having your time tracked is creepy.

Well, I guess something to keep me less on the forums is not necessarily a bad thing?
If it turns out like Facebook style I'm out or at the evry least won't bother to read already long threads anymore.
It's a third party forum software package: https://www.discourse.org/ for those of you who are interested in such things.

Just quoting this to highlight. The Trust Level system is a feature of the forum package that Blizzard is adopting here.

Discourse will be new for those of us who are used to traditional forum software, but it should offer us features that will improve the forum experience for blizzards new target demographic, mobile users.

FIFY
New forums, new ways of ignoring feedback.
Not sure if it's just the US getting changed for now, though no doubt EU will follow.

This is from Heroes, but I think it's safe to expect a similar model for WoW:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/heroes/t/new-forum-syntax-guide-details-about-trust-levels/380

Trust Levels

Trust levels are a participation system on the forums. The more you post, like, reply, read, and visit the forums, the more you work your way to a higher trust level. Increased Trust levels grant additional privileges. Everyone who is new starts off at Trust Level 0 but will quickly climb by reading and visiting the forums within their first few days.

TRUST LEVEL 0

Trust level 0 users cannot:

Flag posts
Post more than 3 topics
Post more than 10 replies

TRUST LEVEL 1

Get to trust level 1 by…

Entering at least 5 topics
Reading at least 30 posts
Spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts

Users at trust level 1 can…

Post unlimited topics and replies
Edit wiki posts (more on Wiki Posts Below)
Flag posts

TRUST LEVEL 2

Get to trust level 2 by…

Visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
Casting at least 1 like
Receiving at least 1 like
Replying to at least 3 different topics
Entering at least 20 topics
Reading at least 100 posts
Spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts

Users at trust level 2 can…

Create links and video embeds to trusted websites like Blizzard websites, YouTube, or Twitch
Have an increased “like” count.

TRUST LEVEL 3

Get to trust level 3 by…

Must have visited at least 50% of last 100 days
Must have replied to at least 10 different topics
Of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 500 topics
Of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 20,000 posts (both starting posts and replies)
Must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.
Must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
Must not have been suspended (including forum suspensions or in-game account actions of any Blizzard game)

Trust Level 3 users can

Create Wiki Posts (more on that below)
Post animated gifs, images, compatible video embeds, and links to any website

What jumps out at me is
Spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts

So they're tracking our Time Played on the forums now. That's not creepy at all.

Oh my god. First Pathfinder, then Allied Races, and now they are making the forums a grind too. Coming next: pay £40 to instantly reach trust level 3.
I absolutely hate Discourse. Been part of so many communities that use it and I just can't get over how much I don't like it.

Why can't we go back to the old WoW forum instead? The one from the WotLK days.
who the hell cares they don't read the EU forums anyway and they dont give a !@#$ about what we write here anyway
12/11/2018 15:48Posted by Zieera
who the hell cares they don't read the EU forums anyway and they dont give a !@#$ about what we write here anyway

just get a free US account create a char never play and *!@#$post loudly in European*
wonder if EU players will still be locked from US forum
PTR feedback ignored ... oh look it moves to the official forum.
Suck it guys less feedback more cheercrowd.
I'm going to repeat this again, the Biggest indictment against Up Votes, Down Votes, Trust Levels and what ever else they are trying to implement, is that Blues are never subjected to them.

Having Forum Rules is sensible, not likely a post made within those parameters should only be a thing for the Players, yet here we are with it being a thing for Blizzard.

This idea that my posting opportunities will be limited because Blizzard (Trust Levels) don't particularly like most of my post is absurd.
Bad move, bad idea, bad everything... This is a double faced company that will pretend to love you when standing in front of you, but soon their real face reveals itself and what we see is not pretty.

Keep going like this... Seriously do it, become even worse so that one day, people will just choose to no longer dedicate time to you, yours games, your image and eventually crumble. I'd rather see Blizzard Activision fall than watching it getting slowly perversed by individuals who no longer understand what we want.
So we are getting the changes with NA reset?
12/11/2018 18:42Posted by Punyelf
So we are getting the changes with NA reset?

That's unclear, as there is no official announcement for the EU region.