Everyone will google everything anyway

Classic Discussion
There seems to be this weird consensus among hardcore Classic fans that both leveling and end-game content will be "harder" due to no handholding and aids by Blizzard.

People also hope to revive barrens chat because people will "finally be asking for Mankriks wife again".

Lets be completely honest. Hardcore Classic players/people coming from Private Servers know all the intrinsic little details by heart by now, while people coming in to "check out" how Vanilla was will simply google everything.

Nothing will be new. Nothing will be truly challenging due to lack of knowledge. Your "epic", "months long" journey to 60 of old will take a fraction of the time it took back then, because back then you had no clue about any quest locations. Now you do.

Barrens Chat will be nothing but a few people forcibly trying to make Chuck Norris jokes because "thats how it was back then". People might entertain the notion for a while for nostalgias sake, but eventually Barrens Chat will be as barren as your favourite server in BfA right now.
15/11/2018 12:39Posted by Ilathria
There seems to be this weird consensus among hardcore Classic fans that both leveling and end-game content will be "harder" due to no handholding and aids by Blizzard.

People also hope to revive barrens chat because people will "finally be asking for Mankriks wife again".

Lets be completely honest. Hardcore Classic players/people coming from Private Servers know all the intrinsic little details by heart by now, while people coming in to "check out" how Vanilla was will simply google everything.

Nothing will be new. Nothing will be truly challenging due to lack of knowledge. Your "epic", "months long" journey to 60 of old will take a fraction of the time it took back then, because back then you had no clue about any quest locations. Now you do.

Barrens Chat will be nothing but a few people forcibly trying to make Chuck Norris jokes because "thats how it was back then". People might entertain the notion for a while for nostalgias sake, but eventually Barrens Chat will be as barren as your favourite server in BfA right now.

Oof
Its been over 12 years for me and never seen a Pserver. A lot of stuff is going to be completely new because i simply won't remember everything.

Yes, i am better prepared and its never going to be exactly the same as that first time. But its gonna be close and i never look anything up unless im completely stuck.

And also, no addon crutches ofcourse :)

Its gonna be awesome ^^
15/11/2018 12:47Posted by Shogath
Its been over 12 years for me and never seen a Pserver. A lot of stuff is going to be completely new because i simply won't remember everything.

Yes, i am better prepared and its never going to be exactly the same as that first time. But its gonna be close and i don't look anything up unless im completely stuck.

And also, no addons crutches ofcourse :)

Its gonna be awesome ^^

Im glad you can see it that way, but I think you are in a very small minority here. I played Vanilla shortly before BC release (I think I got to 40 before BC released) and I also dont remember everything crystal clear, but I also make no secret out of the fact I will probably google/install addons for Classic. I just dont have the patience for it. And I didnt have it back then either, for different reasons (Time vs. ADHD).
People also hope to revive barrens chat

You will be surprised

Your "epic", "months long" journey to 60 of old will take a fraction of the time

Well, if you can afford to play 24/7 it will take you 1-2 weeks.
But if you play say 3-5 hours per day- it will take months

Barrens Chat will be nothing but a few people forcibly trying to make Chuck Norris

"Few"
Yeah, right

What's the purpose of your post anyway, what are you trying to say?
15/11/2018 12:53Posted by Дартанта
People also hope to revive barrens chat

You will be surprised

Your "epic", "months long" journey to 60 of old will take a fraction of the time

Well, if you can afford to play 24/7 it will take you 1-2 weeks.
But if you play say 3-5 hours per day- it will take months

Barrens Chat will be nothing but a few people forcibly trying to make Chuck Norris

"Few"
Yeah, right

What's the purpose of your post anyway, what are you trying to say?

1. It will not be the same Barrens chat as back then. Back then it was a thing out of necessity, now it will be a thing out of nostalgia/bringing back old times. It will feel forced.

2. Regarding leveling, I am not talking about overall time invested, I am talking about time spent on finding quest targets. Because this time you know. Best example, Mankriks Wife. Back then you might have spent 1-2 hours trying to find her. Today? Walk over there for 10 minutes max. Sum it up for all quests and your overall /played until max WILL be lower than back then.

3. The point I am trying to make is that its time to dispel these pointless illusions about Classic and take it at face value. Classic Forums both on US and EU are the worst echo chambers I have seen in my life.
15/11/2018 12:50Posted by Ilathria
Im glad you can see it that way, but I think you are in a very small minority here.
Yes, i know i am for a fact. :)
I played Vanilla shortly before BC release (I think I got to 40 before BC released)
That is roughly the same as me.
I just dont have the patience for it.
And that's what i've got a metric ton of these days, for anything i like and enjoy that is ofc.

I'll be slow leveling my small family of characters and all their primary and secondary professions for many years to come. ^^
(Time vs. ADHD)
Yeah, that sucks man. I feel for you. Still, you are never to old to learn and especially grinding mats and fishing and stuff like that can be like Yoga for you.

Try it.

What makes you think there was a lack of knowledge back then? Even with thottbot being as crap as it was, you could still find info on what to do and where to go. Leveling didn't take long because you didn't know where the quest mobs are. It took long because there was no convenient flight path next to them, we didn't have the ultra fast mounts, bag space was extremely limited and when you overcame all that... the mobs fought back!

People didn't talk to each other because we were better people. We talked to each other because we weren't busy spamming abilities and because no class was self sufficient. People asked stuff in chat because they saw other people asking stuff in chat. I played the demo for 2 hours (that's how much time I could get on it) and I had more conversation on /general in those 2 hours than I had in the past 2 expansions combined.

Why is that weird? Leveling didn't give you 10 well itemised things/level, you'd be lucky if it gave you 1. Pulling extra mobs didn't mean "use aoe now", it meant run for your life and most likely die anyway. "group quest" meant "get a group", not "use a cooldown". When you got to end game content, you couldn't solo the max level dungeons and there was no easy mode difficulty or free loot. I'm not even going into titanforging.
So sad you won't be playing Classic then OP. It surely feels like we're missing out on a real bundle of joy.
Even with Google the quests are harder. Also the most time is spent on grinding mobs so it doesn't really matter that much anyway.

The nostalgia argument is really old at this point. You can find lots of discussion about it in earlier topics. Classic wow has solid timeless game play, but coming to it with too high expectations you will most likely be disapointed as is the case with everything.
15/11/2018 13:06Posted by Taxation
So sad you won't be playing Classic then OP. It surely feels like we're missing out on a real bundle of joy.

Oh but I will. Just not with the same expectations and feelings as most people on the forums. Ill reroll my toon from back then. Nightelf rogue. Will do the Wetlands run. Quest in Westfall, Duskwood, etc. etc.. But I wont pretend its the best thing in the world.
15/11/2018 13:08Posted by Kuunmaku
The nostalgia argument is really old at this point. You can find lots of discussion about it in earlier topics. Classic wow has solid timeless game play, but coming to it with too high expectations you will most likely be disapointed as is the case with everything.

Exactly my point. It feels like most people here come in with ridiculous expectations that Classic will be anything more than revisiting something you enjoyed years back.

Instead they think it will be the next big new old MMO thing and will "right whats wrong" with the industry.

They just ignore the fact that the industry changed for a reason, and its not just developers pulling changes out of their asses.
Some people go a bit overboard in their expectations for sure, doesn't mean it won't be fun though. However expecting people to pretend it will be 2005 again, which some people on the forums seem to think will happen, is a bit much.

Unfortunately for Barrens chat, if Private servers are any indication, it will be more of an edgy, politically fueled flamebait chat than a bunch of cheesy Chuck Norris jokes. As much as I love the Barrens, I'm generally thankful when I'm past it because of that.
15/11/2018 13:10Posted by Ilathria
But I wont pretend its the best thing in the world.

Me neither and I don't remember it as the best thing in the world either. I just consider it the best version of wow I'll have access to since the wrath pre-patch came.
And?
15/11/2018 12:59Posted by Ilathria
It will feel forced.

It will not, for the same reason it doesn't feel forced on p-servers today.
Yes, people will maybe ask less about mankrik's wife, but they will still argue about politics, they will still anal spam, thunderfury spam etc. simply because barrens is massive zone with massive level range, and alot of grind quests like cat's eye or 60 quillboars.

Best example, Mankriks Wife. Back then you might have spent 1-2 hours trying to find her.

If you're stupid. You could always ask someone in a guild, or just do other stuff until you eventually stumble upon her. And let's be honest, after some time this question was a meme even back then, but it still existed well into the WotLK era.

As for other quests, remember the quest from stormwind that sends you to the stonetalon mountains? You know where quest giver is, you know where you need to go. Does it help you in any way? I don't think so.

pointless illusions about Classic

I highly doubt people will lose those "illusions" because someone on the internet told them to do so.

worst echo chambers I have seen in my life.

Well, nobody stands behind you with a gun, forcing you to be here, no?
If it is even moderately successful effort. Game companies might at least take a look back on what made games good back then for the players at the time, mostly consisting of generation y and x.

There is good stuff in new games, but a lot has been lost also. There should be a group of players out there that aren't being actively targeted. Part of this group is the target for classic wow.
15/11/2018 13:17Posted by Zienix
Unfortunately for Barrens chat, if Private servers are any indication, it will be more of an edgy, politically fueled flamebait chat than a bunch of cheesy Chuck Norris jokes. As much as I love the Barrens, I'm generally thankful when I'm past it because of that.

I play on a 3.3.5a Private Server on and off and they have a World Chat channel which is basically "Barrens Chat" 24/7 across all zones. Its 20% people helping eachother and 80% people antagonizing eachother over small things. Similar to these forums, there is also at least one troll asking whether feature x of a later WoW version will be implemented every hour or so.
I'm sure there will be people who will follow guides word for word, level as quickly as possible and do every dungeon and raid as soon as they are out with out a single wipe due to someone reading the guide and telling them just what button to press when to maximize their take down speed.

I won't be one of them.

I intend to savour Classic the same way you savour a wine, take it slowly, explore every inch, find all those little tucked away places, quests and trainers without checking out guides. Yes I can remember some, there was a leather working trainer in Ashara, and a Blacksmith in Stranglethorn I think, there was a night elf quest in the starting zone tucked away that I didn't find for ages.

For me it is a journey, there will be no real end game or progression after the few dungeons and raids are released. Some people may hurtle through it and be done with the content in a couple of months, that just means that those of us left still working our way through things will be more of a similar mindset just out to enjoy the game.

As for being part of a small minority, maybe we should all make Gnomes, so we can at least be part of a small majority.
15/11/2018 13:27Posted by Lantiia

I intend to savour Classic the same way you savour a wine, take it slowly, explore every inch, find all those little tucked away places, quests and trainers without checking out guides. Yes I can remember some, there was a leather working trainer in Ashara, and a Blacksmith in Stranglethorn I think, there was a night elf quest in the starting zone tucked away that I didn't find for ages.

Makes sense, but there is plenty of little tucked away places in retail as well. The amount of easter-eggs has actually increased over the years.

Random out-of-the way quests and trainers I do agree though, that is something that has been lost in retail. I do enjoy the idea of having one hard to reach trainer for something special, but I would also not pretend it would be some EPIC journey to reach them. Simply a longer walk than 5 meters inside your current faction hub.