Dark Iron Sorcerer - Shaman or Mage?

Role-Playing
Which would people say is viable? I know common sense says a mage but shaman provides more visuals, a better variety of armour and weapon choices for transmog and a bit more creativity. Would a shaman being roleplayed as a sorcerer be too far?
18/10/2018 21:41Posted by Melyssa
Would a shaman being roleplayed as a sorcerer be too far?

Not at all. In fact, I would actually recommend using a shaman to RP a mage.

My lore tutor does the same thing too, seeing how mail provides better looking items if you want to RP a mage that doesn't use robes.

Well, it looks better in general, really. Most mage gear is very over-the-top.

Don't worry, there are mail hats just like this one!
Sorcerer is gladly rather a broad term. It doesn't particularly indicate toward a mage class, per say. As a term, it's more akin to "witch" and could be applied to pretty much anyone using magic - mostly destructive. Another word to consider is "elementalist" which, while indicates toward shaman class as we know it, is fairly broad term as well - mages can be just as well elementalists. Etc.
19/10/2018 08:03Posted by Beringer
Sorcerer is gladly rather a broad term. It doesn't particularly indicate toward a mage class, per say.

In fact, it does. It was indicated in the RPG and still is indicated today. Jaina Proudmoore is described as being "The most powerful sorceress alive"
19/10/2018 10:42Posted by Blanes
19/10/2018 08:03Posted by Beringer
Sorcerer is gladly rather a broad term. It doesn't particularly indicate toward a mage class, per say.

In fact, it does. It was indicated in the RPG and still is indicated today. Janina Proudmoore is described as being "The most powerful sorceress alive"

I stand corrected.
I think it could work both with the spells and the gear.
Some of the spells are a little similar to the sorceress in the Diablo games.

You could for the RP-part always not play the spells that is very typical for the shammy, and only focus on the spells that has similarities to the mage.
(yes I know, that could be a little difficult, but not impossible ^_^ )

Your mage could be from a branch of mages, that might had been forced to change something according to the original mage traits, and thats why the sorceres line you're from like this :)
19/10/2018 13:35Posted by Moothilda
You could for the RP-part always not play the spells that is very typical for the shammy, and only focus on the spells that has similarities to the mage.

Tbh I honestly suggest not using "spell effects" at all. If you're going to make an earthquake or something like that, I suggest just emoting it out.

That is, of course, unless OP engages into the non-traditional style of RP through leveling.

19/10/2018 13:35Posted by Moothilda
Your mage could be from a branch of mages, that might had been forced to change something according to the original mage traits, and thats why the sorceres line you're from like this :)

Mages are generally quite flexible, and are able to cast most spells a shaman can, except for healing waters and totems.

Though there certainly are hydromancers as well, so I don't think that's really something to worry about.
Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I might just be imposing too many hangups on myself... I've seen more outlandish concepts work. The out of character class doesn't have to dictate the IC one after all.