Pet Peeve #36: The Peeve is Always Right

Argent Dawn
Prev 1 11 12 13 26 Next
07/11/2018 12:37Posted by Elenthas
So when did Artriel convert from Elune to Celestial worship?

Celestials aren’t worshipped, they are respected and revered as creatures of wisdom and guidance. Niah worships the Light but it doesn’t conflict with her opinion of “Yeah that crane dude’s pretty cool and worth listening to”

And to add to the “blood elves shouldn’t be monks” argument someone put forth - they can’t be shaman because sin’dorei have no respect for the elements and the natural order, they see themselves as masters of all magical forces, be it arcane or holy. They do not ask the elements for aid, they seek control and dominance. Thus the elements will never grant them their power.
Monks are different in the sense that chi is very much a force to be twisted, manipulated and shaped to the user’s whim. It doesn’t require them to revere nature, the spirits or the elements, but it does require at least an open mind. While not every blood elf has the patience to reach serenity in order to tap into their potential when they could simply study the arcane, their natural agility and intellect makes those who are willing to go down that path into potent fighters who can reasonably choose any of the Ways.

Indeed, given the monastic and meditative ways of a monk and their ability to tap into their inner spirit, I’d say they are closer to priests than they are to shaman or druids.
Belf monks still dont make sense to me.Because Belfs are Arcane and have no love for the natural order or the Elements.
Why do I even bother typing up constructive arguments when nobody reads them and just brings up points I’ve already refuted moments ago.
Coming to read peeves but it's a constructive thread instead.
07/11/2018 14:49Posted by Nightforge
Why do I even bother typing up constructive arguments when nobody reads them and just brings up points I’ve already refuted moments ago.

Probably a case of "I don't agree with a race-class combination, therefore I will deny and refuse any arguments as to why they exist or why there is no harm in them existing".

But here's a good question: Why SHOULDN'T these race-class combos exist? Because they don't make sense? Because you think they involve devotion to a certain faith? Like someone said that Blood Elves shouldn't be warriors, because... Why exactly? If Blood Elves can't be Warriors, then they shouldn't be Paladins, because they are both plate-wearing warriors, only one is Holy and one is Angry.

07/11/2018 12:37Posted by Elenthas
So when did Artriel convert from Elune to Celestial worship?

As others have said with a real life example: You don't have to become a buddhist monk in order to learn kung-fu. Same as an Elf doesn't have to abandon Elune in order to revere the Celestials.

Although I wouldn't blame why someone would look at the Celestials and want to worship them. Same as why it wouldn't be out of the question for people to look up to Cenarius. They're around, while Elune appeared only as a lunar eclipse who then extended a bunch of white light tentacles and swooped Ysera's spirit in to the stars.
It certainly seems possible for any race to become a monk ( though tauren monks still look stupid to me in a visual sense, whatever anyone else thinks) and the pandaren seem willing to teach, so I don't think from a lore perspective it's impossible for races to learn from them.

It's just that their theme is so strongly tied to the race for which they were designed that, as I and others have said, it ends up cheapening the class fantasy a bit when for most races it would only have been possible to become a monk like six years ago, and suddenly they're massively surpassing the race to whose culture it has been tied for millennia.

Even with night elves (although I personally think they're a race suited to monks), they've been out of touch with the pandaren for so long until Mists that I doubt they'd be anywhere near as adept as pandaren.

My main feeling with regard to the subject is just that it cheapens both the class and character fantasy of monks and pandaren, making the idea of constant years of rigorous training feel too sidelined and a unique pandaren concept feel less unique. For me, it's not a matter of thinking it's impossible for other races to learn from the pandaren.
Websites that force you to login through a third-party service, like Facebook or *shudder* Twitch. Just give me a good old registration form, jeez.
Been playing Destiny 2 every since I finished installing it later during Monday. I've enjoyed it so far, but I just can't shake off the feeling that it's going to end up becoming very stale and streamlined soon, having nothing impressive to offer and so I'll be done with the game inside the next week.

Enjoy while it lasts, I guess?
07/11/2018 09:30Posted by Rangoor
To be fair, one of the few better things about this expansion is that it is slowly taking things away from Legion's #classfantasy and giving a little nod to the differences in racial theme.

In the Arathi warfront, the sunwalkers there have renamed and reanimated seals as well as a nifty little sun totem.

Now I am even more angery! Add those things to Sunwalkers, make the Sunwalkers true Sunwalkers and drop the class fantasy >:(

07/11/2018 13:23Posted by Vaxir
I'll have you know I just slept a fine several hours and only woke up eight times!!

I just personally don't like them 8(

You're bad and you should feel bad. Pandaren have one of the cruelest, bloodiest histories in wow!
07/11/2018 16:09Posted by Shamoss
Been playing Destiny 2 every since I finished installing it later during Monday. I've enjoyed it so far, but I just can't shake off the feeling that it's going to end up becoming very stale and streamlined soon, having nothing impressive to offer and so I'll be done with the game inside the next week.

Enjoy while it lasts, I guess?

I've had similar impressions, that while it certainly is a fine, fun game, that it ultimately isn't something that may warrant long-term investment in to it, be it monetary or time. I do enjoy playing it, but I have a feeling that ultimately it's a game that I will abandon because I've gotten my fill of it.

It actually inspired me to write a blog post about it as well, though I could add a few information bits in to it as well to maybe make it more presentable.

Also, let me put a bit of a game journalist peeve: There's too little of them that aren't trying to be hype-men for big companies (Probably out of fear of losing their review copies and deals and what have you), or they insult gamers if they don't like something.

And it seems a friend of mine has enough faith in me, that she suggested I should consider a career in game journalism. Well I do like to write opinions, and I tend to hate big Triple A publishers/developers who think they can do no wrong, and I tend to be pretty honest in what I believe in.

What do you folks think?
07/11/2018 16:20Posted by Tubri
What do you folks think?

I say go for it, really; from what I've seen of your posting during all my forum-lurking, you seem to get to the point pretty quickly and it doesn't feel like a drag reading through your replies.

May need an editor for spell-checking at times for added professionalism, but it's easy to grasp what you're going for at any given time.

People agreeing or disagreeing is utterly irrelevant - I've seen people disagreeing with you pretty vehemently, but it hasn't really deterred you, has it?
But hey, that's a journalist's life. Be prepared for some angry fanboys sending you private mail for not rating their beloved title 10/5 and for daring to point out flaws in their sinking flagship.

For a personal peeve, I think it might be people making a big deal out of things. No, overthinking is fine as it's typically not destructive (to others anyway), but bursting into a raging tirade about how somebody's not properly dressed or somebody said a mean word is not cool.
Seeing plenty of people like that IRL, and I sometimes wonder how long it will be until that constant stress gives them an ulcer.
I feel sorry for Wyatt Cheng having to announce that the latest Diablo will be on mobile, guy looked so anxious when he saw the crowds reaction, wouldn't wish having to stand infront of thousands of dissapointed and angry fans on anyone.

BFA's story direction, Blizzard kinda lying to us about the story not being what we think it'll be then it turns out exactly how we thought it would be. Not looking forward to getting railroaded into the inevitable conclusion many of us suspect.

Played Diablo for the first time and instantly regret wasting money on it, not a fan of the gameplay at all.

Seeing people getting offended by the actions of a fictional character, are people seriously becoming so sensitive these days? (No this isn't an attempt to start a political discussion, it's just an observation)

People who turn everything into a political discussion or constantly bring up theirs or someone elses politics.

I'm peeved that I don't have my main 3D printed.

I've wanted to play 40k Kill Team but too anxious to go back to GW to meet new people.

ESO's gameplay.

Think that covers everything for today.
'I don't believe in the Light' Can also translate to; 'I don't believe in the sphere earth.'

It's like not believing in water... Or the ground. It's not about belief. I don't agree with nuts, but I am aware they exist.
07/11/2018 16:45Posted by Tonnek
I say go for it, really; from what I've seen of your posting during all my forum-lurking, you seem to get to the point pretty quickly and it doesn't feel like a drag reading through your replies.

May need an editor for spell-checking at times for added professionalism, but it's easy to grasp what you're going for at any given time.

People agreeing or disagreeing is utterly irrelevant - I've seen people disagreeing with you pretty vehemently, but it hasn't really deterred you, has it?
But hey, that's a journalist's life. Be prepared for some angry fanboys sending you private mail for not rating their beloved title 10/5 and for daring to point out flaws in their sinking flagship.

I quite appreciate this, thank you. I suppose the Game Journalist World needs more honest people, and who else to better present it than gamers themselves who don't have any agendas or ulterior motives behind their postings?
07/11/2018 17:18Posted by Overpine
'I don't believe in the Light' Can also translate to; 'I don't believe in the sphere earth.'

It's like not believing in water... Or the ground. It's not about belief. I don't agree with nuts, but I am aware they exist.

The problem is that Blizzard hasn't exactly done very well at defining how "belief" or "faith" in the Light works and how it connects to Light as a magic force.

Sometimes we've been told you need "faith" to use the Light, but the Adherents of Rukhmar don't seem to believe in anything other than a giant flaming bird god? Pandaren Priests get their "Light" from a different giant bird god, and then there's Dark Iron Dwarves, Kobolds, and a number of other races who obviously don't revere "the Light" but still use Light magic.

There's also the problem the fact that "The Light" is both the name of the type of magic, and the name of the religious focus. It's like saying you "believe" in the Sun. Yes, the Sun is there, I can observe it and its effects, but that doesn't mean I "believe" in the Sun as a deity that watches over Earth, y'know?
07/11/2018 17:18Posted by Overpine

There's difference between believing in the Light's existence and worshipping it. People who say they don't believe probably mean the latter, them not being Paladins/Priests to be precise. You don't need to believe in the Light's existence in an universe like Warcraft, where we've seen its effects. So people saying they don't believe probably mean that they don't pray to it.
Buying a weapon on the AH as I needed one damn iLvl for my alt to get into Warfronts (to get more iLvl, herp a derp a derp < _ > ) and end up picking the one Strength weapon lurking amongst the sea of Agility polearms. Waste half that characters gold.

I then smack the WF desk... and find I can join at 319. I didn't need that item in the first place. AMAZING! JOY. OH. JOY!!

Then I alt to try and get the last stupid damn Shipyard mission I need on this character to finally be done and dusted with it.
I have two treasure missions. BOTH have 3 type counter. On 2 ship missions.

This game is clearly sentient and clearly wants to be an utter, utter **** to me today. Yeah, gee, thanks, I needed that in my life you little ****!
07/11/2018 19:35Posted by Kaytlinne
Buying a weapon on the AH as I needed one damn iLvl for my alt to get into Warfronts (to get more iLvl, herp a derp a derp < _ > ) and end up picking the one Strength weapon lurking amongst the sea of Agility polearms. Waste half that characters gold.

At least you didn't get a 370 weapon as the loot.
07/11/2018 20:02Posted by Coldsháde
07/11/2018 19:35Posted by Kaytlinne

At least you didn't get a 370 weapon as the loot.

Leads me neatly onto the next peeve; still not Tier 3 gloves.

Mission Failed, we'll (maybe) get 'em next time...
07/11/2018 20:15Posted by Kaytlinne
Leads me neatly onto the next peeve; still not Tier 3 gloves.

You can sit and be sad with me. I lack the legs.

Got belt this time around.