Pet Peeve #36: The Peeve is Always Right

Argent Dawn
Prev 1 15 16 17 26 Next
09/11/2018 08:40Posted by Tenshylwin
That there's no decent coffee at work.

Buy some, gypsy!

09/11/2018 00:27Posted by Vakosh
I'm 90 % certain those animations, and others, are being added for paladins in patch 8.1.

I hope so, its kinda cool using the libram.
I'm not sure this qualifies as a peeve, because it feels genuinely troubling. These recent news:
https://www.mmo-champion.com/content/8155-Activision-Earnings-Call-Hearthstone-Pop-Up-Book-Mobile-Titles-for-Blizzard-IPs
- MMO-Champion coverage of the Blizzard's current direction.
Paired with this graph showing the growth of the mobile market:
https://newzoo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Global_Games_Market_2012-2021_per_Segment-1.png
This. This makes me want to vote with my wallet.

Yeah, it's a financially sound decision - perhaps even necessary for Blizzard to remain a titan of the industry.
Yeah, it'll probably be a huge success in the long run.

But what the graph of the gaming market tells me is that computer and console games is the niche market - it's where you put the art and the passion and the love, because it's not where you go for income. That's not to say you can't make a gem on mobile, but the numbers put all questions about quantity and quality to rest.

When Blizzard states that many of its best developers are now working on several mobile IPs, and then flat out lies about Diablo Immortal's reception, the game they're playing is becoming increasingly clear. You're not a player. You're a digit.

I have felt this way for a while now, but after this they've really struck the nail in that coffin. I wanna leave - I won't, because I like RP and I enjoy an OW or HotS match with friends that live abroad, but yeah. I want to leave.

Blergh. This sensation will probably pass, but as it stands, right now, it's sickening.
Current pettest of peeves: Ever since BfA, 3D models that are attached to leggings no longer show on the outside of robes. It was a neat feature. Want extra plating outside your robes/battle-dress? Just wear leggings with 3D models attached to them. Especially the cloth set from Trial of Valor suffers from this, as one of the main features of the set is a horn at your waist that is attached to the leggings. So even if you use the full set, you don't even get the set's intended features as the 3D models for the pants is a no-go unless you wear vests; which are not part of the set.
09/11/2018 10:04Posted by Razlow
But what the graph of the gaming market tells me is that computer and console games is the niche market - it's where you put the art and the passion and the love, because it's not where you go for income. That's not to say you can't make a gem on mobile, but the numbers put all questions about quantity and quality to rest.

I can't say I necessarily agree with the idea of "Mobile is the future" or "Companies have to go mobile to stay afloat". True, the market seems to appear good for mobile, but it is something of a short-term thing really. And the main problem with someone trying to go mobile, is that they already have a major following on PC, and abandoning it is a pretty bad idea.

When Blizzard states that many of its best developers are now working on several mobile IPs, and then flat out lies about Diablo Immortal's reception, the game they're playing is becoming increasingly clear. You're not a player. You're a digit

That's just corporate stupidity. Hopefully it ends very badly for them in the long run. It is still concerning to know that they decided to move the best developers to the mobile projects nonetheless though.

I wanna leave - I won't, because I like RP and I enjoy an OW or HotS match with friends that live abroad, but yeah. I want to leave.

I think everyone feels this way one way or another. I would like to quit Blizzard games as easily as I quit League of Legends or any other game that I got tired of for one reason or another. Problem is, my girlfriend doesn't really want to quit Heroes of the Storm that easily, and there's friends and family tied to World of Warcraft that I don't really want to abandon either.

But hey, if Blizzard's stock prices keep dropping (And hopefully don't recover by any larger margin), then they may end up changing their stance somewhat. Until then, we're probably screwed.
09/11/2018 03:48Posted by Zanmarea
Waiting for 8.1

This honestly feels Legion all over again. You really couldn't play alts until 7.1.5 where artifact knowledge was introduced, worthless legendaries got buffed etc.
The only thing in 8.1 that has any interest from me is the leveling changes. Other than that... a new raid I have little interest in, a warfront I have little interest in, some class tweaks (Where's that shaman rework?), etc.

There's nothing that really stands out as WOAH THIS PATCH WILL BE AMAZING. Honestly 8.2 sounds far meatier, with a new zone to do stuff in, new mega-dungeon, worgen model update, etc.
That's a thing blizzard does overall I'm peeved with.

I know the WoW story isnt a masterpiece, it's a bit crap honetly, but I still want to see what happens in the end. So it is incredibly annoying how little, if any, story continuation wow gets in patches. Comparing it to a book, Blizzard releases like 2 pages every 10 months out of like 400, and it is so annoying. Give us a huge chunck of story content at once please.
This will continue to peeve me until my dying breath. "Draenei (Eredar)" or "Eredar" in the race section on TRP. No, no, no, no!
Writing a good character is tough. Various complexities and biases shape their actions and over the course of years of play they grow and change. In the end, though? Its mannerisms and motivations can end up identical to the zero effort anime protagonist clones or the latest copy of a thing that's popular in another game.

Additionally, I'm dismayed that destiny 2 has such a beautiful world design while doing nothing with it. The race and armour design is woefully generic and devoid of personality. The aggressive blandness of it all makes the worlds stand out as immense wasted potential.

Still okay for a free game, though and it's probably more fun chasing loot and events with friends.
09/11/2018 12:29Posted by Artriel
This will continue to peeve me until my dying breath. "Draenei (Eredar)" or "Eredar" in the race section on TRP. No, no, no, no!

Normally accompanied by growth pot, warrior & being a female character funnily enough.
Peeve: Playing PvP in Destiny (Surprisingly enough, I'm not doing too bad in it). First round was a loss, but still finished two bounties.

Second round, we're doing pretty good, and I even manage to kill four people in a row just by punching them in the face repeatedly. Was amusing.

*game freezes* Eh? What's this now?

*monitor turns dark'ish brown and audio freezes* Oh... The computer crashed.

I don't consider myself to be a very demanding person. I just wish to play a videogame that I find reasonably enjoyable, do a few daily quests and kill some people. Not much to ask.

One of the rare crash instances that I don't welcome...

09/11/2018 12:33Posted by Levey
I'm dismayed that destiny 2 has such a beautiful world design while doing nothing with it. The race and armour design is woefully generic and devoid of personality. The aggressive blandness of it all makes the worlds stand out as immense wasted potential.

The world certainly looks quite lovely. Nessus is pretty weird for me though because I keep getting No Man's Sky vibes from the flora and the skybox (It's eerily similar to a type of planet in NMS), and the armor and weapons certainly don't exactly look all that inspiring. Though to be fair, I feel kinda amused that my Warlock looks like a motorcyclist with his helmet, who decided to wear a dress, of all things.
The over abundance of unnaturally tall people wandering Stormwind's streets.
Most of the growth potion abusers are Lightforged draenei and worgen.
Coming home after a dispute with some guy, where you eventually got your way, and realising you were in the wrong.
Seems his loud and agressive yelling made me ignore and dismiss everyinthing he was saying from the get go, therefore I've learnt two lessons today, guess I could call that a positive turn. One lesson about myself personally, and the other is that yelling isn't a good way of getting your point across...
09/11/2018 10:36Posted by Kashgor
Current pettest of peeves: Ever since BfA, 3D models that are attached to leggings no longer show on the outside of robes. It was a neat feature. Want extra plating outside your robes/battle-dress? Just wear leggings with 3D models attached to them. Especially the cloth set from Trial of Valor suffers from this, as one of the main features of the set is a horn at your waist that is attached to the leggings. So even if you use the full set, you don't even get the set's intended features as the 3D models for the pants is a no-go unless you wear vests; which are not part of the set.

A lot of 3D models in general have been missing since the prepatch.

Obligatory monthly mention of the missing tassets from the Antorus warrior set.
They're at least fixing the Dark Iron heritage in 8.1 to put the leg plates back on, so that's something.
09/11/2018 14:01Posted by Erdril
Coming home after a dispute with some guy, where you eventually got your way, and realising you were in the wrong.
Seems his loud and agressive yelling made me ignore and dismiss everyinthing he was saying from the get go, therefore I've learnt two lessons today, guess I could call that a positive turn. One lesson about myself personally, and the other is that yelling isn't a good way of getting your point across...

Good advice for arguments, don't raise your voice. Improve your point.

*Sage-nods*
09/11/2018 07:05Posted by Gardhal
Maybe it's my tanks
Most of the time it is. I've leveled a few characters since the changes of 7.3.5, and am leveling one currently -- neither of them tanks, since I've got all the tanks I need at max. For some reason, good tanks are extremely hard to find. Maybe WoW is getting an influx of new/really old players?
09/11/2018 12:33Posted by Levey
Writing a good character is tough. Various complexities and biases shape their actions and over the course of years of play they grow and change. In the end, though? Its mannerisms and motivations can end up identical to the zero effort anime protagonist clones or the latest copy of a thing that's popular in another game.
I've seen it happen, but there's one important difference: portrayal. I find that convincing character-writing never stops the moment you develop the character. No matter how extraordinary or unique they might be through their personality and development, there's a limit to how much you'll paint with a drop of ink on a blank page.

Portrayal of a character doesn't only involve the character themselves, but the views of those surrounding. Portrayal involves the world and how it reacts to your character's actions, the consequences which might be unwanted, the clockwork ticking in the background. No matter how developed a character is, they are never omniscient and all-powerful.

And that brings me to a peeve: powerlessness. It is very rarely portrayed in modern works, as the characters always seem to hit the nail; the world is always just made for them. A good example is Netflix's new addition with Sabrina. It starts with a typical protagonist, personality-wise, thinking that they can do great things just because they have this idea in their heads. It turns out that the world doesn't work that way. You don't win just because you want to. Sacrifices are made, many born from manipulation and lies in the background (powerlessness, events happening outside of the character's ability to react to them) and ultimately the character progresses in a way they had not originally intended (or maybe even we, as viewers/readers, had anticipated).

That's the difference between a no-effort anime protagonist and a well-written and developed character. In writing (and by extension, RP), the line between worldbuilding and character writing is thin. You'll never get the best result unless you go the full way and dip into both. That's also the difference between a good RPer and someone you probably should stay away from, imho; someone who wants everything to go the way they've planned it has very little ability to engage with the element of powerlessness -- a critical tool in relation to consequences.

TL;DR? A character is only as good as their surroundings. Cheap anime protagonists are based on cheap worlds and cheap story, good characters are punished by a true world and immersive story. You need it all to mark the difference.

Technically speaking.... wouldn't your standard Lightforged, or any 'Draenei' who was on Argus, still be Eredar?

After all Draenei is a name the Eredar gave themselves after becoming refugees.
09/11/2018 15:11Posted by Zanmarea

Technically speaking.... wouldn't your standard Lightforged, or any 'Draenei' who was on Argus, still be Eredar?

After all Draenei is a name the Eredar gave themselves after becoming refugees.

They're all draenei. They're the ones who were exiled from their own home by the Legion.

They WERE Eredar but are no longer Eredar. It's kinda like Blood Elves are no longer High Elves.
09/11/2018 15:13Posted by Durathei
They're all draenei. They're the ones who were exiled from their own home by the Legion.

They WERE Eredar but are no longer Eredar. It's kinda like Blood Elves are no longer High Elves.

Add to this that for Draenei, Eredar now has a negative meaning to it. While Man'Ari is the more correct term for the corrupted ones, Eredar itself has a very poor stigma attached to it that they refuse to use it for themselves.