Pet Peeve #36: The Peeve is Always Right

Argent Dawn
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
04/11/2018 21:38Posted by Keydiam
Peeve: Ubisoft bending over for their Chinese overlords. Rainbow Six Siege will release in China...and as such blood has to be removed, all kinds of gambling has to be removed, all skull symbols, all kinds of sexual content etc. And then the Chinese version of R6 will be region locked anyway. But, the entire world will play one heavily censored version.

I don't play Rainbow Six, so I can't say I feel too troubled by this news. But even then, the idea of censorship due to a demographic getting in to it sounds just... Well. Weak.

Especially if it's being regionlocked. Might as well do what World of Warcraft did: Different Regions have differently altered versions.

Peeve time! A friend of mine linked me an article, where some game journalist throws flak at the angry Diablo fans who hate the idea of Diablo Immortal. Calling them "Entitled Gamers" and "Trolls".

Game Journalists in a nutshell: Hype men and advocates for bad business practices on one end, identity politic activists on the other. With a few decent journalists hidden in the woodworks.

I have a feeling that they are like this more because they are forced to, rather than they actually believe in what they write. But if that's the case, then why are they staying with those outlets?
Eh I would say it depends. There's a lot of unnecessary hype in games media, for sure. But I do think that a lot of people are behaving unreasonable with regard to Diablo Immortal. Some of that is Blizzard's fault for ending the big ceremony with something that they should have known no one was going to like, and I have zero interest in a mobile game myself.

However, I don't think that warrants the kind of abuse Blizzard and the devs are getting. Saying "Man, I don't like this and I'm disappointed" isn't being entitled, whereas the people going "I hope the dev team and their families get murdered in their sleep!" certainly is (along with being sadistic).

So I don't think most journalists are referring to the more reasonable people when they say this stuff about being entitled, and mean more the people who are overreacting.

That said, I do get that many of these articles do come across as generalising quite a lot, and overselling games is certainly something that games media does.
My B.net account got hacked yesterday. The hackers did a number on it.

Got to thank Blizzard for getting it sorted.
04/11/2018 22:47Posted by Tubri
Well. Weak.

It is but it's probably cheaper. I honestly expected more from Ubisoft.

Peeve: Article 13 seemingly coming back again for a third vote. How many times do we have to start protests and petitions?
Disablo
04/11/2018 23:01Posted by Tawaka
But I do think that a lot of people are behaving unreasonable with regard to Diablo Immortal.

There was a post on the Diablo sub-reddit, (hello reddit!) where a chinese guy spoke about the company 'NetEase' and how their mobile games are generally made. It's not a pretty picture; it's going to be an absolute cash-cow going by their games. If the chinese aren't a fan of NetEase games then the west certainly wont be. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/9ts6mw/feedback_from_a_chinese_gamer_about_netease/

David Brevik (the original Diablo/D2 dude) also weighed in and remarked that this doesn't seem like a very 'Blizzard' move, he also went on to throw some shade and say that as time is going on Blizzard is becoming more and more unrecognisable due to Activision take-over.

I don't think that "it's just a mobile game" is the problem people are having here to be honest.
04/11/2018 11:33Posted by Lintian
04/11/2018 11:19Posted by Shamoss
They removed the Enlightenment buff for monks every 10 levels, I see.

What?!

The "no fun allowed" policy strikes again, I see.
you have it at 50% till 80 then its 20% And as soon You start legion You dont have it anymore. Or wel cant reget it once runs out. I lvled less then a week ago so unless the removed it alter it should still be there.
05/11/2018 11:35Posted by Aerilen
I don't think that "it's just a mobile game" is the problem people are having here to be honest.

Whoever thought that announcing a mobile game and just a mobile game in front of an international audience for a game that so far was mainly a PC game was a good idea really needs to go sit in a corner and think.
There's a time and place for these things. Blizzcon isn't it.

Tho my personal biggest peeve with the whole issue are the people running around, screaming about how a bunch of entitled gamers just don't like mobile games because that's apparently a mostly feminine market. And how it's all rooted in misogyny.
It's rare that I feel insulted by their stupid but I can't find an angle where "people not liking games with wonky controls and large scale gambling issues because they are seen as feminine" isn't insulting towards women.
04/11/2018 23:01Posted by Tawaka

So I don't think most journalists are referring to the more reasonable people when they say this stuff about being entitled, and mean more the people who are overreacting.

https://i.redd.it/6mgpttba94w11.jpg

Not a huge fan of Gamergate myself, but they did collected a nice compilation of journalists giving their "reasonable" response to the outrage.

Notice how some of them call the "April fools" guy is being called an entitled dick. For what? Asking if this was an april's fool joke? That's what's considered nowadays as a terrible thing to say?

Yes, there are people who are overreacting to the Diablo news, but it's game journalists who are overreacting to the overreaction itself. There aren't any reports of death threats, just a very embitted community that's been screwed over by Blizzard for a long while now.
05/11/2018 11:35Posted by Aerilen

Which wasn't my point. I'm saying that the usual death threats and acting like Blizzard have committed some sort of massacre is unreasonable. Voicing disappointment and sending criticism their way is fine, but the personal attacks and acting like it's the end of the world is silly.

I lived in China for a bit and know enough about NetEase to be well aware of how crap their games are, but like I said in my post, the "entitled" ones are more the ones who are freaking out and resorting to just being generally horrible toward people over a video game.

That said I do agree with Zasnok that the media is overreacting a bit (though I can see the point made by people that the guy was just being rude) given that this has been a trend with Blizzard for a long time now, though I have seen posts with the usual old "[x] should kill themselves]" etc. It's not like I believe these are genuine threats that people are going to follow through on or anything, but it's just incredibly immature and distressing for people on the receiving end who, in all likelihood, weren't the ones responsible for this decision anyway.

Tl;dr: Being angry about it is fine, but all these personal attacks are pretty out of line imo. Maybe the guy at the Q&A was just frustrated and couldn't help himself, but it was still pretty unfair to embarrass the devs in front of thousands of people like that.
05/11/2018 12:00Posted by Blythan
the people running around, screaming about how a bunch of entitled gamers just don't like mobile games because that's apparently a mostly feminine market. And how it's all rooted in misogyny.

Absolute bona fide lunacy. That's almost impressive.

Things like this along with a prominent mandela effect has me one bad day away from shattering and spending the rest of my consciousness looking for the portal back to reality.

Peeveroni roll with egg and cheese:

Being ill or busy so that I consistently miss guild events that I was eager to attend. An extra layer is added if I was actually supposed to host that event. Garnish with a general displeasure at the general 8pm timing often becoming inconvenient for the dumbest of reasons.

Bonus peeve; a general lack of in depth lore regarding religious practices beyond my ramshackle knowledge of draenei and orcs. Do we even know whether nightborne worship elune anymore?
I swear I gave my cat biscuits a day ago, filled his bowl up even.

Come back into the kitchen today, bowl's nearly empty. I feed him wet food on top of the biscuits.

Kitty, you're too little to be eating all this food.
04/11/2018 20:00Posted by Zanmarea
Want to make a gnome rogue....

You, too, could know the excitement of using shrinking toys and potions to make yourself smaller than an in-game tankard whilst buzzing angrily at some Tauren's hoof in the open-world. Gnomes also have a semi-useful racial for PvP, though the Human one is better and I'd far prefer Troll's beserking (I think that's what it's called?) or Tauren/Pandaren stun.
05/11/2018 12:28Posted by Zasnok
https://i.redd.it/6mgpttba94w11.jpg

The description on these peoples' profiles read like a really bad MRP title section.
Ugh... English isn't my native tongue... It's self learned and generally I don't take an issue with someone pointing out a grammatical mistake when it meant to help me improve... However some people just make it their joy to make you aware of them in the most condenscending way possible.

Get f*cked, you are right but still... Get f*cked.
Recurring peeve: BFA is still garbage and I don't like it.

With the exception of the remaster, I honestly can't bring myself to care even a little about WarCraft anymore. The new cinematics for 8.1 are... well made, I suppose, but entirely predictable and we all know it's going nowhere, right?

Maybe it's just because I'm back in the SPACE part of my Medieval Fantasy/Space Scifi interest-swings (been doing a bunch of Star Treks and some Stellaris empire-building) but every time I log on to WoW or even look at WoW stuff, or even discuss it with friends, I get overwhelmed with apathy.

At this rate, I kinda wish we were back in Legion. At least towards the end that expansion was pretty space-y.
Do we even know whether nightborne worship elune anymore?

I just assume they do, I mean the Highborne did, and still do too!
Traffic jams are currently an increasingly aggravating peeve at this moment.
Aramusha's weird timings... I just can't even.
I'm peeved that Lightforged Draenei can't be monks.

So Zandalari are getting them, every other allied race has them, but not the Lightforged.