Pet Peeve #36: The Peeve is Always Right

Argent Dawn
Prev 1 4 5 6 26 Next
06/11/2018 13:05Posted by Uruk
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Yeah, I don't think so. Pretty sure I'd remember argus draenei throwing around chi bursts.

The draenei monks were either wrestlers or shadow users. They weren't pandaren monks, and thus not the playable monk class.

Tell that to HM monks, Mag'har monks and pretty much every monk outside pandaren tbh. Hell remember those masters in Kun-Lai who were of other races at the start of MoP even though it made 0 sense?

The ship of logic and consistency has sailed long ago.

Worgen monks when?

If a draenei on Azuremyst can wake up from a coma after JUST crash landing and be a monk because a fat bear thing dressed them up in gi while they were unconscious, they can say a pandaren got lost in the Witchwood and got stuck in Gilneas after the wall was built then taught civilians self-defence after the civil war. Boom. Hell I'd even argue the whole 'balance' and 'inner peace' teachings would be extremely useful for helping retain your humanity as a worgen.

Makes more sense than draenei monks. Or <Allied race> monks. Particularly the TIME TRAVELLING ORCS WHAT THE HELL?!
06/11/2018 13:13Posted by Darianuth
If a draenei on Azuremyst can wake up from a coma after JUST crash landing and be a monk because a fat bear thing dressed them up in gi while they were unconscious, they can say a pandaren got lost in the Witchwood and got stuck in Gilneas after the wall was built then taught civilians self-defence after the civil war. Boom. Hell I'd even argue the whole 'balance' and 'inner peace' teachings would be extremely useful for helping retain your humanity as a worgen.

Blizz should delete some monk-race combinations, not add more, bro.
06/11/2018 13:14Posted by Yue

This. Monks should be pandaren only. If DHs can do it, monks can.
06/11/2018 13:05Posted by Uruk
06/11/2018 12:59Posted by Elenthas

Yeah, I don't think so. Pretty sure I'd remember argus draenei throwing around chi bursts.

The draenei monks were either wrestlers or shadow users. They weren't pandaren monks, and thus not the playable monk class.

Tell that to HM monks, Mag'har monks and pretty much every monk outside pandaren tbh. Hell remember those masters in Kun-Lai who were of other races at the start of MoP even though it made 0 sense?

The ship of logic and consistency has sailed long ago.

Sure, and if I had my way none of those would exist.
06/11/2018 13:29Posted by Chíeun

Oh yeah, lets restrict a class to a race that only 4% of the player base plays on this realm (that was adding both sides together)
06/11/2018 13:47Posted by Croecell
Oh yeah, lets restrict a class to a race that only 4% of the player base plays on this realm (that was adding both sides together)

If only Pandaren could play the class though, there'd be a lot more Pandaren around. xD

I can understand not wanting more added, but... they keep adding more anyway. It's evident at this point that monk is a 'common' class akin to hunters or warriors. Yes the class originated from Pandaren but doesn't seem to be any kind of cultural, physical or mental barriers that prevent X race from being a monk. The ONLY given obstacle is: "Has the race had any feasible contact with pandaren before?" and it's one I fully agree with. But even that's fallen apart.

Now personally if any should be removed it's the ones that have no feasible contact with a pandaren before. Like mag'har orcs who JUST arrived on Azeroth but can suddenly be monks. Same with Nightborne who JUST got out of their bubble. It's why I'm not surprised that LFDraenei can't be monks, and why I was very surprised when a bunch of other ARs could be, particularly those who have had ZERO chance of being exposed to a pandaren before their introduction.

We know that pandaren travelled the world even before the mists parted, that's the given explanation for TBC races anyway (Since their starting zones literally take place in the past, hell all the race starting zones start in Cata, not MoP but I digress). And we know they're very willing to teach people how to be monks regardless of background. It helps that we've had confirmation that monks and shaman actually share the magic of 'spirit' (Confirmed by a blue tweet some time ago). So any shamanistic races might show distinct interest in the monk class.

If DHs can do it, monks can.

I'm sure if we had MoP released now, they might consider doing monks as a race-specific class. But that aside, they've gone out of their way to make it evident that plenty of races can be monks. There's even a questline where you learn a single monk technique regardless of your race or class. But in reverse, we have ONLY seen elf DHs, no exceptions, not even one (afaik). Illidan explicitly only taught his kin, and the Illidari seemingly have only taken in their own kin as well.

And for Demon Hunters I can see there being some significant racial obstacles to the class, namely being ballsy enough to eat the heart of a demon and basically become a demon yourself. The Illidan novel makes a point about how nearly all the Illidari remember the first invasions of the Legion, who are pretty much all going to be elves, who then heard of Illidan and yadda yadda. I can't see most races being on board with the demon heart eating part, at MOST I could only see such an allowance for races that can be warlocks but even then... bit of a leap from just managing your inner balance and spirit isn't it?

By all means however, you are free to disagree. I wish more races could be monks (Especially since the excuse they gave for worgen/goblins holds no water anymore), you wish only pandaren could be monks. And I can get that. If they had been pandaren-only from the get go I doubt I'd even question it. I just wish Blizzard could be consistent with their rulings. (Namely: "Worgen/Goblins can't be monks because they were isolated! Oh btw draenei waking up from a coma are monks, and so are time travelling orcs lol")

06/11/2018 13:46Posted by Elenthas
Sure, and if I had my way none of those would exist.

Agreed. The masters should have all been pandaren tbh. The only way I can fudge it is if all the starting areas are indeed set in TBC/Cata, and the Summit is actually set in MoP (Then how does the PC get there while they level and see masters from the future...?).

Only AR I can feasibly believe could be monks are HMTauren, they could easily have had contact with pandaren and were't isolated. The rest? Extremely questionable, especially mag'har.
06/11/2018 12:59Posted by Elenthas
06/11/2018 12:54Posted by Friscie
Chi yes.

niether are most other playable mons, yet theyre Monk's so.
and its same for other classes same name and class gameplaywise but are different in lore.

No, dh are only trained elves by illidan and a hero class.
Monks like warriors should be for evry race.Should be more not less and theyre alreayd least played class.
06/11/2018 14:03Posted by Friscie

Monks like warriors should be for evry race.Should be more not less and theyre alreayd least played class.

By that logic only DKs and DHs should be restricted.

Diversity for the sake of diversity should be discouraged.
05/11/2018 15:09Posted by Erhardt
05/11/2018 12:28Posted by Zasnok
https://i.redd.it/6mgpttba94w11.jpg

The description on these peoples' profiles read like a really bad MRP title section.

One guy actually has a description that looks like it was taken from a bad MRP Title Section: Father, Husband, Writer, Gamer. All he needs to do now is say that he was a Former Apache Helicopter operator.

05/11/2018 18:50Posted by Xiansin
Traffic jams are currently an increasingly aggravating peeve at this moment.

It's why I just ride a bike everywhere I go. Or walk, that also works.

*laughs confidently, before crying* I am terrified of driving cars!
06/11/2018 12:58Posted by Vixí
A minor peeve I've come to realize after some backthinking and observations, and I'm wondering why it is the case.

I'm swedish myself, but I've noticed over the years that when it comes to people being not just disruptive ingame, specifically with roleplay, but obnoxiously so(Such as /shout spamming slurs profanities, heavily toy spamming events/rp), or in gameplay in terms of gank-camping low-lvl players in world pvp etc, it has in majority over the years, been other swedes, followed by norwegians & danes.

Same thing with straight up not allowed names(often explicity sexual related ones or downright racist), it is from my own personal experience, mostly nordic players doing this, wih swedes being the top.

It is common that people complain about russian or spanish players in games, but honestly with wow especially, I've seen -really- bad behaviour far more often with Swedes, norwegian & danes. I'm wondering why this is a thing? Or if other people from these countries(or elsewhere) has noticed this too?

Huh I always thought it were my fellow dutchmen who were often the ones doing the things you describe.

They started recruiting new DHs in Legion onwards, in the order hall.

In other words, let's open the floodgates for sethrak and vulpera DHs, yeah?

/s

theyre alreayd least played class

Actually DH and shaman are behind monk.

Even if you count level 120 characters only, shaman is still behind.

as someone who has RPed monks of various races since their conception, i don't get this meme

monks have a very defining part of their fantasy that is about academies, schools, training, monasteries, teaching, master/student relations, hell even in the pandaren starting quests are you training in an academy, Kang taught his monk teachings to the slaves who rebelled, who then passed it onto others
That the pandaren would teach their ways to any outsider who is willing to listen is a natural consequence of it

And don't reply with "it takes a long time to learn", as there are countless examples of both non-pandaren monks ever since the release of MoP, and other races in general have a penchant for picking up new skills quickly (Human Potential anyone?)
Having other races be able to become monks only enriches them because every race has their own unique take on them in philosophy and body type both. A blood elf monk, for example, might see chi as another force to be controlled and manipulated in a manner similar to the arcane, light and fel, while a forsaken or void elf might seek inner peace, or a gnome could utilize it to gain an edge over their taller opponents. And of course brewmasters fit dwarves perfectly.

the fact that these complaints always come from pandaren seems more of a "why aren't more people playing pandas" issue than anything specific about monks
i'm happy that you play pandaren and enjoy them but please stop trying to force everyone to play a race that's been repeatedly mistreated by blizzard to the point where most people still consider them a joke race
Okay, let's see the pandaren interpretation of DHs then, Nightforge. I bet you would welcome that with open arms since it is enriching to see other races' interpretations of a class, yes?

Let's give them to sethrak, vulpera, mechagnomes, lightforged draenei - it'll be interesting!
06/11/2018 14:51Posted by Chíeun
Okay, let's see the pandaren interpretation of DHs then, Nightforge. I bet you would welcome that with open arms since it is enriching to see other races' interpretations of a class, yes?

Let's give them to sethrak, vulpera, mechagnomes, lightforged draenei - it'll be interesting!

Difference is that there's no sources anywhere that say the Illidari comprise of more than just elves, demons and naga.
Monks are an open class that have schools open to pretty much anyone. The Illidari are more 'elitist'.
There's also the breakoff of the 'typical monk' (In which case you mean Pandaren) with those from the Scarlet crusade.
quote me in my post where i mentioned demon hunters please
06/11/2018 14:54Posted by Nightforge
quote me in my post where i mentioned demon hunters please

You didn't, which is my point.

I am not denying the status quo (that apparently mastering the monk class takes -1 seconds if the Peak of Serenity masters are any indication), I am just saying that it is dumb.

The monk class has just as much of an identity as the demon hunters do. They are Celestial warriors using a skillset entirely rooted in pandaren culture and tradition. Handing them to everyone would be like making a new class named 'Blood Warrior', make all their abilities have names related to blood/sun/quel'thalas and so on, and then hand that class to every race.

Just about all races could have the same niche they are currently using monk as covered by fist weapon fury and that's that.

06/11/2018 14:53Posted by Myaína
Monks are an open class that have schools open to pretty much anyone. The Illidari are more 'elitist'.

All you'd need is one DH deciding to start training another race, and that's enough. See the draenei starting zone for an example. They became monks even though a new draenei monk character wouldn't actually get to meet the rest of the pandaren race for a long time yet.
06/11/2018 14:58Posted by Chíeun
All you'd need is one DH deciding to start training another race, and that's enough.

Except they wouldn't because

The Illidari are more 'elitist'.
06/11/2018 15:02Posted by Myaína
Except they wouldn't because

Every last one of them?

Are you sure about that?

Remember that there are several (3+, IIRC) murloc demon hunters in WoW.