“I think global faction balance is in a pretty fine place”

General
Now.. after reading this, I found myself thinking "Something's not quite right.." and as I saw such discussions on US already and people "linking realmpop" I've prepared a little something.

(Realmpop is -NOT- accurate as far as I'm concerned, but just for the sake of it.. why not)
Granted, overall EU Horde and Alliance seems to be quite 50%-50%

Now let's break it down to only 111 characters, suddenly: 54.6% horde 45.4% alliance.

Let's break it down further on -ALL- 120 characters that exist, including alts that made it to 120 and possibly now rot in their shelves: 56.1% horde 43.9% alliance

"But this is quite equal, right?"

Well... Let's see how group finder is doing, shall we?
I've logged both Alliance and Horde and compared 1 elite World Quest and 1 World boss in groupfinder.. Results?

Horde Tia'Kawan: https://i.imgur.com/WkGabxn.jpg
Alliance Tia'Kawan: https://i.imgur.com/LS8Sonk.jpg

Horde Ji'Arak (Worldboss): https://i.imgur.com/m1wOUtQ.jpg
Alliance Ji'Arak (Worldboss: https://i.imgur.com/Gsbp602.jpg

I mean.. chances are I'm completely dillusional at this point but I'd like to hear your thoughts on this "fine faction balance"

/discuss

Edit: As it has been pointed out to heavily depend on day and time, I'll keep my eye on it and draw different comparisons at different times and days over the week! Thanks for pointing this out.

Another Edit (About 8PM realm time): Went to check out on 2 WQs again (1 WorldBoss and 1 RareElite) and it seems while Alliance had more groups up now, the count of the people in them were roughly the same! This is getting interesting.. Will be updating tomorrow!

At about 10 AM server time I once more checked, Alliance having more groups, but generally less people.. This is getting interesting :o
11/11/2018 10:29Posted by Selveera
56.1% horde 43.9% alliance

Seems pretty good to me considering this game lets you choose multiple different races where people might have favourites or where you might join the other faction to play with friends etc.

Not to mention a lot of players these days play on both horde and alliance.

They can't really make it a perfect 50-50 split can they? How would you feel logging into your draenei shaman there on alliance only to be told you're now an orc shaman on the horde instead because they needed more members on your realm-group?
I think factions are okay when less than 5% of the total player base needs to change faction for it to be a 50/50 split.
While I agree that numbers may look fine, if you look at actual content being played it suddenly throws all out the window, does it not?
End game is the problem raiding wise horde dominate.
11/11/2018 10:40Posted by Selveera
While I agree that numbers may look fine, if you look at actual content being played it suddenly throws all out the window, does it not?

You have no statistics on that.
You only have screen shots from one specific time frame and anecdotal evidence.

My anecdotal evidence is last month when I was actively playing if I wanted a group I got a group.
It might have changed since then but I doubt its to do with the faction split.
Im Horde, sometimes when I look for a world boss group there is one or less. Take this weeks for example, on reset I went to its location and hit up group finder. There were no groups, so I made one myself.

Its luck of the draw and time of the day/day of week as to how many groups you will find on there for world bosses and other such wq bosses.

Also thinking about it, it can be skewed depending upon warmode or not as theyre split I believe.
Honestly, I dont like it as it is, and I have no idea how to fix it.

We have more horde than Alliance players, therefore Alliance is scared to activate Warmode, Cry on the forum about "Horde racials OP" and stuff, which leads to more and more people joining Horde, the Alliance players who know the racials op stuff is a bunch of BS are alone in Warmode because most alliance players have it off, so they are not 43 to 57 outnumbered but way more, and in the end, since they dont get any assistance from their own faction, they disable Warmode too.

The result is you barely see any Alliance in Warmode, and barely any Horde in non-Warmode.

But honestly, what can be changed? Racials cant be balanced, because they pretty much are already, any change towards the Alliance would actually create an imbalance.

Its something that has to change in players mindsets, and we all know that wont change...
11/11/2018 10:49Posted by Xemeron
the Alliance players who know the racials op stuff is a bunch of BS

...which is the reason why they're nerfing "Berserking" and "Arcane Torrent" in the upcoming patch because racial imbalance is a bunch of "BS".
11/11/2018 10:45Posted by Moritz
11/11/2018 10:40Posted by Selveera

You have no statistics on that.

Just read down the first few pages of Wowprogress.com.

A sea of red, with a new lonely blues.

Think it's just at the top because of the unbalanced racials? keep going.

Now try the same with M+. Same story:
https://raider.io/mythic-plus/season-bfa-1/all/world/leaderboards
11/11/2018 10:56Posted by Keydiam
the Alliance players who know the racials op stuff is a bunch of BS

...which is the reason why they're nerfing "Berserking" and "Arcane Torrent" in the upcoming patch because racial imbalance is a bunch of "BS".

I call it a desperate attempt to make more people switch to Alliance, but hell, I am fine with that. I wouldnt mind if they nerfed all Horde racials into the ground to get people to join the alliance again...

As long as they dont touch non combat racials! (Hands of my rocket jump!!!!!)
Global faction balance doesn't really matter though, because no one is playing WoW on a global scale.

Everyone is stuck in a region, in Warmode or PvE-mode, on a server, in a shard, and so on.

They're small pockets, and everyone experiences the game from within their own little pocket.

The global perspective is irrelevant. It's about the individual player's experience playing the game.
something that has to change in players mindsets, and we all know that wont change

not without a change in the development mindset i'm afraid
11/11/2018 11:27Posted by Fatum

For example?
11/11/2018 11:31Posted by Xemeron
11/11/2018 11:27Posted by Fatum

For example?

you said: "any change towards the Alliance would actually create an imbalance"

we already have that imbalance toward the horde as now even they admit, so without a decision by the developers to change that, it won't change. the players only react to the circumstances, it's the developers who could change the situation, it's upon them only.
11/11/2018 11:47Posted by Fatum
it's upon them only.

But how exactly would they do it?

Make Alliance racials really strong?

I mean, soe top guilds switching to Horde because "This racial will help us do 0.01% better in the current Raid tier" already created a big flow to the Horde side, because suddendly people who never used racials in their life were like "OMG Horde Racials so good, I switch"...

So I guess the easiest way would be to just make Alliance racials 1% better so the top guilds and the sheeps switch again.
11/11/2018 11:52Posted by Xemeron
But how exactly would they do it?

Make Alliance racials really strong?

I mean, soe top guilds switching to Horde because "This racial will help us do 0.01% better in the current Raid tier" already created a big flow to the Horde side, because suddendly people who never used racials in their life were like "OMG Horde Racials so good, I switch"...

So I guess the easiest way would be to just make Alliance racials 1% better so the top guilds and the sheeps switch again.

But, that's the thing, this won't help in any way. The damage is already done. There's a 10% difference in Alliance and Horde at max level, that's a lot. It doesn't matter what Blizzard do now, this imbalance cannot be fixed.
11/11/2018 11:54Posted by Shortbolts
But, that's the thing, this won't help in any way. The damage is already done. There's a 10% difference in Alliance and Horde at max level, that's a lot. It doesn't matter what Blizzard do now, this imbalance cannot be fixed.

Why? The Top Guilds switched one because some racials did minimal better in the raid content, wouldnt they switch back when Bliztzard just makes the Alliance racials more valuable for the new Raids?

And the sheeps will follow again, they always do
11/11/2018 11:58Posted by Xemeron
Why? The Top Guilds switched one because some racials did minimal better in the raid content, wouldnt they switch back when Bliztzard just makes the Alliance racials more valuable for the new Raids?

And the sheeps will follow again, they always do

They switched at a time that the factions were balanced, so they weren't handicapping themselves by switching from Alliance to Horde.

Granted, the top guilds could possibly switch back to Alliance with the min/maxing they do if the racials were made stronger on the Alliance side, but barely anyone would follow (In my opinion anyway), because they'd be handicapping themselves, so to speak.

You're much more likely to get things done as a Horde player than an Alliance player. I play both factions, have played my Alliance more than my Horde (Like 6-7 days /played at max level more xD) and yet my Horde character has the same ilvl and has AoTC, whilst my Alliance keeps getting into groups that constantly wipe on Zek'Voz (Always the second phase, interrupts and CC don't happen, people constantly step into the mist.. It's painful xD).

It's just easier now for people to get anywhere as a Horde player than an Alliance.

I think the factions are seen like this.

Alliance: For it you want to play casually without much hassle, with a small community of friends/people.

Horde: If you want to start progressing and getting better at the game.

That's how I see it anyway, but I could be wrong.
There is definitely faction imbalance. The tip is: if you want to raid / do anything high end i suggest going Horde because it's just easier to find what you're looking for, even if you're an Alliance player at heart. If you want to play casual, do old content, achievements etc play Alliance because that's the only thing we can do atm without feeling like we have a handicap.