Dear Blizzard...

General
24/10/2018 11:34Posted by Yolandass
Yes it is suppose to be an mmorpg but the mmo part died a long time ago since the COD and moba community started to exist.
MMORPG community didn't die, it just started playing different games.

The air is practically electric with excitement at the prospect of a re-release of vanilla WoW. Why? Because people still like MMORPG's. Real, good MMORPG's, that is.

Human psychology doesn't change just because Call of Duty releases.

Besides, Call of Duty and Defense of the Ancients both existed before vanilla WoW did. :p
Wow used to cater to a whole range of different kinds of gamers.
It looks as if now we all need to pass that narrow corridor that's BFA.

I hope next expansion, if the game survives this lowpoint, they will take time again to put some meat on the game's bones. Expand, reinvent sure, but flesh out all aspects of the game (professions, classes, deep meaningful personal questlines).

One very important thing that was said in the youtube is that they used to want every class to mean something on its own. I agree, now we're just all dps, healers or tanks with all the same bells and whistles (just with a different degree of effect). Legion addressed this with classhalls, which was a good start.
I'd like them to go deeper into that direction. Make it mean something again to choose a certain class.
When Blackwing Lair released, Molten Core remained relevant for a long time. When AQ40 was released, Molten Core was STILL relevant for gearing.

Uldir will be completely irrelevant when the next raid releases.

It's a damn shame because Uldir is very well designed and doesn't deserve to go into the dumpster.
Back in the day, we never managed to progressed pass MC.
Even in BC we didn't get much further than Karazhan.

The endgame raid was preserved for a small group of players, maybe 10-15%, the rest of us just had to be content with lower RAID´s

With WOTLK they finally managed to get more players onboard and by the end of WOTLK most guilds were running Icecrown Citadel.
And for the upper 10-15% the Heroic option pretty much satisfied their needs.

That to me was the best balance between wanting more players to raid and also pleasing high level guilds.

From then on it pretty much went south and for me personally RL and LFR finally killed off my desire to RAID.
24/10/2018 11:41Posted by Ishayu
Yes it is suppose to be an mmorpg but the mmo part died a long time ago since the COD and moba community started to exist.
MMORPG community didn't die, it just started playing different games.

The air is practically electric with excitement at the prospect of a re-release of vanilla WoW. Why? Because people still like MMORPG's. Real, good MMORPG's, that is.

Human psychology doesn't change just because Call of Duty releases.

Besides, Call of Duty and Defense of the Ancients both existed before vanilla WoW did. :p

Very good point.
Damn.. A turtle made to the water, and started crying..
I've never seen this vid. Jeff looks so nerdy and sweet in it. Old school programmer? Things are different now. You'd be surprised how many folks work in game dev who don't even really play games. It's just a profession that pays well.

The whole landscape of gaming has changed since WoW initially launched. The last game I played with a soul was The Witcher 3. Most games are just shopping lists of "things people can do while playing the game because a game should have these things" with a big, fat chunk of microtransactions on top. It's like making a sandwich with the filling on the outside. A person who doesn't love games won't understand why that isn't something you want to eat.
23/10/2018 14:24Posted by Sekcy
...what happened?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Falm0H7VEiQ&feature=youtu.be

(Jeff was cool af)

" ...."How come there aren't any low-level raid if you want to raid something at low level?" You could just try something that's higher level! There's no real point to us creating this raid content that's going to be trivialized by levels.... ".

Enough is enough: give us back Jeff Kaplan, plz.
24/10/2018 12:48Posted by Callipus
Damn.. A turtle made to the water, and started crying..

You made me happy and sad at the same time
24/10/2018 11:26Posted by Ishayu
...Molten Core is not better than Uldir, but the structure of the gameplay around Molten Core is much better than the structure around Uldir.

Molten Core tells you delve into a dungeon and doesn't tell you what awaits you. The only way to spoil it is to go online and download a video or read a strategy guide. Furthermore, once you've done it, you've done something others have not, which gives you a sense of accomplishment and adventure, and you can show off that accomplishment and adventure in town. It gives you a story tell.

Uldir's structure puts a gun to your head and says "defeat everything in 5 weeks or we'll release the last boss of the tier on a trivial difficulty setting. Also, here are all the bosses in the instance before it's even added to the game so everything is spoiled before you even think about it. Oh, and once you've defeated Uldir, defeat Uldir Harder, and once you've defeated Uldir Harder, you can defeat Uldir Ultra Mega Hard.

Once the next raid releases, nobody whatsoever will care about Uldir or your exploits in it.

Uldir's bosses and environment is universally better than that of Molten Core. Of that there can be no doubt at all.

But that's not all there is to a raid... This is (supposed to be) an MMORPG.

What a load of BS.

The MMORPG aspects was gone forever as soonests LFD and LFR was implemented!

You don't know jack**** about what started the decline of the game.
In vanilla, I never raided. Yet I had PLENTY to do everyday. In TBC, I raided most of the time Magtheridon`s lair, because this raid was mega fun. Maybe bi-weekly. Still, I had PLENTY to do, everyday. And so on and so on. WoD, Legion, BfA - why bother to raid? I am a casual player and too old to deal with 15 year old elitist kids, who demand a Mythic achievement for normal run. So I don`t raid. And there is nothing to do, apart from repetetive spamming of boring daily quests.
From vanilla to wotlk, even grinding mobs was more fun, than the entire endgame content in wod-bfa.
Not because "XY expansion killed WoW". Because WoW, a game from gamers to gamers with love became a corporate product, a pile of average wrapped in epic wrapping paper. WoW has lost its soul. Good job, Activision, you did the same thing as Bethesda did with the Fallout franchise.
24/10/2018 11:03Posted by Xyno
the boss fights was less complex, but much harder than you think

Gonna be honest here, that bothered me alot in TBC (when I started).

Raid bosses were just some kind of progression check, checking if you ran the whole raid enough time to be allowed to pass here. I mean, is that so much different than timegating stuff?

I mean, in these days all Bosses had were high HP and damage and that went so far that Blizzard, at this point new at the whole MMO stuff designed bosses that were impossible to kill, because all they could think of was "lets give them big numbers."

I mean hell for molten core, you had to set one guy as an out of combat resser to make it possible... Yeah, you had to put aside a guy who was not allowed to activly do the raid so he could res people... is that really where you want to go back to?

IGnoring the whole raid designs and trash mobs etc, in case of boss mechanics and skill vs equipment to kill the boss, the modern bosses are better. Thats not an opinion, thats a fact.

I mean... hell, do you remember Brutallus from the TBC Raid Sunwell Plateau? That guy offered no interesting mechanics in any way, he had like one Spell he would cast and other than that, he was tank and spam. He was just an obstacle that Blizzard designed so that the only way to beat him was if every raid member had the best equipment you could get to that point.
24/10/2018 11:03Posted by Xyno
the boss fights was less complex, but much harder than you think

Older content was more group orientated, not just in raids, but in the overworld too. You had classes with high versatility towards removing debuffs, those specifically made for tanking or healing, CC, those made to kite etc. We had a lot more options with our classes without deviating as much from the classes's identity. You didn't have a class that could do it all efficiently by themselves.

This made the game an MMORPG, it was community based, gave people a sense of purpose and a place in any group; Hands up those asking for help with Hogger? It greatly improved the sense of achievement in the game.

There was seemingly a lot more effort put into introducing content, it made you think you were in a world that was evolving (Nax introduction for example), big landmarks in gameplay were announced etc.

But then people started complaining. Back in the old days servers could police themselves and this boded badly for those players who were disruptive, lazy or just generally bad, with addons being readily available to help you identify these troublemakers. But, I guess Blizzard wanted to cater to the casuals and to shut up those who were QQ'ing because they ended up blacklisting themselves on their server by ninja' looting some epic in a dungeon, or couldn't be bothered to simply ask a guild to join it for raids... So they ended up wrecking it for the MMORPG'rs - Worked well didn't it? [Facepalm]

Nowadays all classes bleed into other classes too much, with almost half the skillset stripped. I've seen casters tanking rare/bosses in the overworld, off-healers pretending to be main healers, everyone has a heal, no one needs to rely on anyone else unless it's a raid or +dungeon. This in turn breeds a generation of elitest players who think they are super skilled mashing 4 keys, don't have patience or care about the players around you... It's destructive to the MMORPG community and goes against the foundations of what an MMORPG should be.

These features started really leeching into WoW by the end of WOTLK, honestly, I'm surprised that Blizzard are ignoring, or, have still failed to notice the correlation between those features and loss of player counts and the continuing decline every time they introduce one of these 'easy-mode' features.

An MMORPG is only fun when it's a challenge that you can beat with your friends, at the moment it's not really a challenge mashing 4 keys on your own.. "Meh, too easy", in content/functionality, and has damaged the community aspect of the game.
24/10/2018 11:47Posted by Bruuz
I hope next expansion, if the game survives this lowpoint, they
use their imagination in more creative ways to engage with the world.

!@#$ waiting for next expansion honestly, they should do things in the coming patches!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The only thing that can kill this game, my favourite game of all time, isn't some other MMO made by the competition - it's Blizzard themselves. Activision rather, that corporate *** *** ** *** * * ** !

Also notice how we haven't heard Blizzard's famous saying "when it's ready" 'cause that's not the case anymore, it's all about yearly quarters & profits, it's about quantity, not quality which hurts my feelings.

I read about Rob Pardu, Metzen, Kaplan, Sam Didier and others after watching that video(OP), all these guys who worked on WoW and during that time the game was great, now that most of them are gone, and even more major figures leave no wonder it's going downhill.
23/10/2018 14:24Posted by Sekcy
...what happened?

Those people are gone, ideas they had are long gone, old World of Warcraft is gone.
New people have come, they have new ideas (ripped off of d3, but still), slot machine World of Warcraft has come.
People running WoW right now (yeah, the "you think you do, but you don't" type of dudes) are heavily disjoint from the playerbase. They have some weird ideas which fail one after another, yet they seem to never learn on their mistakes. When you see that CMs start calling customers "dickbag McGees" publicly you know something is wrong.
I wished they would remove all of the click here to do X,Y or Z and put people back into the world, the hole in-game mini games concept is rubbish, I hated the followers concept since day one, why did they get to travel to exotic places and kill fantastic foe´s, why not me ?

Better stop before I loose my cool :D all I am saying is that they have developed this game in a completely different direction than I would had done it.
Thanks for reminding us this very cool video. <3 Jeff

Unfortunately, he is the lead game designer of Overwatch. Maybe the best game from Blizz right now.

Different genre which you cant compare but still.

The thing i like with overwatch is that they are constantly doing balance changes and most heros feel playable.

In WoW things are different and changes takes time to even make it on PTR.

I dunno how easy or difficult is to make changes into the code but twiking should be way faster in order for player base to be happy about their class.
Back when they sounded like nerdy gamers instead of legal defense team for corporates. :>