Improving the open world, using only existing mechanics

General
This is going to be alot of text, but I belive it could be used to make WoW a world that feels way more alive and bigger, by giving old content more meaning, even after leveling is done.

I am sure it is not perfect and has many points that could be criticised, but maybe I can give Blizzard some ideas about a direction for the non-raiding content. A Giblin can dream.

I was thinking about the open world, basically every content that is not raiding and/or PvP. Which right now, is kinda lacking. So I thought about how to improve it using only mechanics, which are already in the game.
Mainly my ideas are based on rares, treasure chests and the professions, not just using the newest content but the whole world.

So, what am I suggesting? First of all, we make Treasure chest worth something again. Now all Treasure Chests in the whole world scale with the player level and the minimap Icons are removed. The rewards for finding one will become much more valuable. Rare crafting materials, Gold, special Bufffood maybe with fun effects instead of pure stat boosts, Quest Items and toys. But since the Treasure chests are now worth more, they should become rare. We keep all Tresure Chest spawns but only 10% of them actually spawn at a time. To help people finding the right place for Chests, we add a new type of mobs into the game, a rare spawn group that spawns in a random area and walks around the whole area. They also dont get any minimap icon, so you actually have to look for them. They can be up in multiple continets at the same time. Normal humanoid Mobs have a chance to drop clues like letters which read "if you have any clues about Treasures, find us in Pandaria".

These groups drop one of two parts of a treasure map, Combining them gives the player the name of the zone where you can find an active treasure chest, as well as written clues about the exact location. (like landmarks, nearby towns, etc.). That way, hunting down a treasure map is actually something that requiers some effort, but at the same time, rewards the player accordingly.

Treasure Chests would also sometimes contain Items that would start Quests according tot he class the player has, which in the end, would reward special items to be crafted. For example, the rogue could find a Quest Item that starts a Questchain where he has to steal different Items from Cities, with a Stealth challenge where he has to outsmart stealth detecting enemies. The rewards at the end could be a burglary related transmog set for example.

As for Professions, they would get a bunch of endgame-relevant Items to craft.

The first one would be a Profession exclusive Weapon or Armor set, which can be upgraded as the game goes on to be up to date in power with current Raid tier Items. Of course being so powerfull, crafting them wouldnt be easy.

Lets take a Blacksmith for example. So the next expansion is out and the Blacksmith just got the Profession to max. Now he has 2 Quests (maybe more, but for my example we have 2) to choose from. Finishing one will make the other one unavailable. By the Quests he learns about a legendary Weapon/Armor, which was lost long ago. Following that is a Questchain where he has to find the parts and talk to the Blacksmith teachers around the world to find a way to reforge these Items. After finishing the Questline, he would be able to find Materials needed to reforge the Item in Treasure Chests or on rare mobs. Once reforged, he gains a dull Version oft he Legendary armor, which is at the same level as the dungeon tier.

He would get a message once Raids unlock that there is a rumor about giving the Weapon/Armor itt old power back. With every new Raid Tier, Professions would get a new Questchain to improve their weapon, always with objectives all over the world, old content included.

Transmogs of these Items would be Profession exclusive too.

The higher levels of these Items would also grant Profession fitting skills, like Blackmiths being able to pour molten Iron over an enemy, Engineers having turrets to place or enchanters being able to place a magical trap. To avoid making them more powerfull than current raid tier, these Abilities could be limited to the open world. Or they could be useable everywhere, but get balanced around it so that Raid/PvP tier Items give more raw stats to balance out the utility of the profession Items.

In addition to these „legendary“ Items, Professions would also be able to craft temporary Weapon Buffs, using the old Ammo slots. These could include elemental damage and visual fitting apperance etc.

If something like Azerite Traits is here to stay, Professions could also learn to reforge Items once, to change the normal bonuses to profession related ones.

All of these would be hard to craft, and need materials from all over the world and treasures.

With these changes, we could really breath more life into the old content and give everyone something to do. And hey, even raiders might be tempted to do it for additional Transmog for example. After all, the open world is for everyone.
Seriously Xemeron, with the amount of text you've been pushing lately you could have written a bachelors in game design. Now, I'll read it but you might want to add a tl;dr:

EDIT: Gave it a read, good stuff mostly. The caveat is that Blizz has openly been moving away from content that takes this level of investment (especially the part about finding map pieces). Not sure why, but they support more the gameplay of playing hour or two a day. Of course this doesn't exclude what you've suggested but their development trends do not align with yours at all.

For some reason Blizz has become blind to why low-tier competition felt exciting. I think all rares and chests sharing with everyone who tags them robs the feeling of discovery.
10/11/2018 20:18Posted by Xemeron
With these changes, we could really breath more life into the old content and give everyone something to do. And hey, even raiders might be tempted to do it for additional Transmog for example. After all, the open world is for everyone.

I think it's more a case of time. If they revamp the old world and remember that this is the seventh expansion it would take a huge amount of time they could be making BfA content or even starting on 9.0 content.

Also remember that plenty of the systems in legion were carried over to BfA and they get lots of complaints for being a 'filler expansion'.

The only thing I'd like is (optional) cap scaling in all zones.
10/11/2018 20:27Posted by Thedice
Seriously Xemeron, with the amount of text you've been pushing lately you could have written a bachelors in game design.

I wish that would have been a thing in my country when I was starting to study...

10/11/2018 20:27Posted by Thedice
Now, I'll read it but you might want to add a tl;dr:

TLDR:

Rare but rewarding treasure chests all over the world
Global rare spawns to find Treasure maps
Class related quests all over the world
Profession based Endgame Items
While I personally wouldn't engage in your treasure chest ideas myself (exploring and treasure-hunting don't really interest me, even in games like GW2 where it is the focus), I can definitely see the benefits of it. As for the professions, Blizzard has tried for years to strike a balance between worthwhile professions and worthless ones. We have gone from one extreme to another on this. Back in Wrath and Cata professions were mandatory if you wanted to raid and in order to min-max you had to have very specific professions (jewlcrafting and blacksmithing). Now we are at the other extreme where aside from Cooking and Alchemy, there is really no point in leveling any professions.

Personally I think professions should mainly focus around cosmetics and fun stuff but that is just me.
All they need to do is remake the world like argus.
Rares and world quests and emmisaries that give a currency to buy gear, but perhaps also toys and mounts.

Make rares more like mists where they spawn rarely and can give rep and mounts.

Make treasures like WoD where you could get treasures unmarked on your map where they give great rewards.

Bring back legions archaeology quests where you get rewards from travelling the map each week.
10/11/2018 20:29Posted by Someoneelse
10/11/2018 20:18Posted by Xemeron

I think it's more a case of time. If they revamp the old world and remember that this is the seventh expansion it would take a huge amount of time they could be making BfA content or even starting on 9.0 content.

Also remember that plenty of the systems in legion were carried over to BfA and they get lots of complaints for being a 'filler expansion'.

The only thing I'd like is (optional) cap scaling in all zones.

honestly id prefer they spend an xpack cycle revamping the entire world, as it stands Azeroth feels more like 5 or 6 distinct places mashed together rather than a continuous world.

I get that its an iterative game by its nature and that cant be helped but taking some time to bring everything up to current levels and throwing in new content with it to keep us busy wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
10/11/2018 20:36Posted by Moritz
Make treasures like WoD where you could get treasures unmarked on your map where they give great rewards.

I really miss old chests that contained profession materials and potions you could sell at AH. It was always exciting to spot one, rush to it before anyone else could (losing was exciting in this too), and getting valuable stuff maybe even a rare piece of gear you could use or sell.
10/11/2018 20:42Posted by Thedice
10/11/2018 20:36Posted by Moritz

I really miss old chests that contained profession materials and potions you could sell at AH. It was always exciting to spot one, rush to it before anyone else could (losing was exciting in this too), and getting valuable stuff maybe even a rare piece of gear you could use or sell.

It was great fun exploring the map like it was a platformer and jump from rock to rock to reach a really out of the way place to get part 1 of 3 items needed to make a good fishing rod that gave you a good bonus to your fishing skill.
Now we get it on flat ground marked on our map and it gives 10 war resources and you get to collect it once.
I dunno about you guys but I would be happy if they said we are going to skip an expac this year and instead were going to be working on the game as is. So they;d revamp the world, adding in cool mechanics, quests, rewards, sort bugs, update graphics etc etc etc.
10/11/2018 20:46Posted by Canticle
I dunno about you guys but I would be happy if they said we are going to skip an expac this year and instead were going to be working on the game as is. So they;d revamp the world, adding in cool mechanics, quests, rewards, sort bugs, update graphics etc etc etc.

Definitely. Revamp the world, revamp the leveling system, sort out the classes. There is so much they could do if they just focus on what they already have instead of trying to constantly put in new stuff.
10/11/2018 20:53Posted by Midnightfist
10/11/2018 20:46Posted by Canticle

Definitely. Revamp the world, revamp the leveling system, sort out the classes. There is so much they could do if they just focus on what they already have instead of trying to constantly put in new stuff.

Agreed, imagine they halt all work on the next xpac for say a year and concentrate on improving the game as is across the board on all levels then carry on with xpac. They could achieve a lot , if they marketed it correctly built up hype, released lots of teasers along the way etc then they could find sub numbers increasing.
https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17624463102#post-1

this thread said and did it better imho and funny enough recently .

This is why forum rules exist and the search feature.
10/11/2018 21:01Posted by Canticle
10/11/2018 20:53Posted by Midnightfist

Agreed, imagine they halt all work on the next xpac for say a year and concentrate on improving the game as is across the board on all levels then carry on with xpac. They could achieve a lot , if they marketed it correctly built up hype, released lots of teasers along the way etc then they could find sub numbers increasing.

Honestly half of WOWs problem is there is nothing fun to do on downtime the world is bland and lacks consistancy and after you exhaust pvp and raiding there is little left to do.
10/11/2018 21:06Posted by Mielikkí
https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17624463102#post-1

this thread said and did it better imho and funny enough recently .

Thanks for the link, but it seems this guy had a different approach than me. And I would like Blizzard to actually see and consider both.

10/11/2018 21:06Posted by Mielikkí
This is why forum rules exist and the search feature.

Jesus, how about being happy that parts of the community actually tryto give Blizzard ideas to improve the game instead of being like... this...
10/11/2018 21:09Posted by Draebet
10/11/2018 21:01Posted by Canticle

Honestly half of WOWs problem is there is nothing fun to do on downtime the world is bland and lacks consistancy and after you exhaust pvp and raiding there is little left to do.

I wouldn't mind that if the bland boring stuff wasn't also mandatory in order to raid effectively. I would be quite happy if I only had to log on 3 days a week to do the raids, but I can't. I have to log in every day to maintain my characters and farm gold in order to raid.

It's very telling that a lot of top end raiding guilds push themselves really hard to complete the latest raid, then as soon as they clear it they all but quit the game until the next raid is released.
I don't want to copy paste the topic.
https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17624482777

Make open world relevant, connect different aspects of the game...
10/11/2018 21:40Posted by Kraivanah
I don't want to copy paste the topic.
https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17624482777

Make open world relevant, connect different aspects of the game...

Awesome.

I always like to read more things like that. And I mean, with 8.1. Blizzard is kinda telling us that they are indeed listening, so I have high hopes right now :)
What I got from the Blizzcon announcements is that the devs are trying to fix a couple of specific problems (Azerite, and with it some relief for classes), and bring in a raid, in 8.1, but not doing anything for open world content until 8.2.