Companies wont get away with it

General
https://www.economist.com/leaders/2018/11/08/chinas-gaming-crackdown-should-worry-the-industry-elsewhere

Maybe one day they ll stop obsessing over maximizing profit and be forced to create better and new gameplay
12/11/2018 09:33Posted by Râlph
Maybe one day they ll stop obsessing over maximizing profit and be forced to create better and new gameplay

It would be great, but I'm afraid that ship has sailed when gaming became a mainstream thing to do instead of a geek only thing. Business execs smelled blood in the water and are not about to let go now.
They are already "getting away with it " =))) . The majority of players don't care about this implications they just going to buy sh.t and they are going to sell u sh.t . welcome to the consumerism era
Well we already have Belgium banning lootboxes(No lootboxes for belgium players) so i am pretty sure more places in EU or more likely the EU itself will start creating laws to regulate gaming companies.

Though i dont expect much from the US in its current state xD
Welcome to the consumerism era dude :).
Have you watched Mark Zuk(whatever) in front of Us and Eu on the hearings ?

Politicians have no clue how internet works might as well gaming industry .. Cant regulate !@#$ if you have no knowledge
You know what would be better?

If there was a certain quality in gameplay (tested by a court outside of the company or industry) that every company has to reach. Fallout 76 would have gotten trashed. Any EA game would get trashed. BfA would have been trashed and WoW altogether seeing how controversial changes in leveling etc. are.

The game doesn't reach it's certain quality? Well, then the company isn't allowed to release it. Want to release it? Then get some quality up. And of course they would assure that the quality standards are holding up when it's released. If they lied or something then they would get a penalty that would ruin their company. Pretty simple. Deliver quality or your company gets destroyed.
12/11/2018 09:46Posted by Purplemage
Have you watched Mark Zuk(whatever) in front of Us and Eu on the hearings ?

Politicians have no clue how internet works might as well gaming industry .. Cant regulate !@#$ if you have no knowledge

please dont remind me

clearly why you need younger people in politics than some old fart that has been there since ages
12/11/2018 09:42Posted by Râlph
Well we already have Belgium banning lootboxes(No lootboxes for belgium players) so i am pretty sure more places in EU or more likely the EU itself will start creating laws to regulate gaming companies.

The problem is that Europe + Middle East + Africa (countries that typically play on European servers in pretty much any game with such regional servers) is actually worth less than North America alone. And the EU is but a part of this amalgam, albeit the richer one, since this includes all the European non EU countries such as Russia (a pretty large market), Belarus, Ukraine, Serbia, FYROM, Bosnia, Georgia, etc., as well as the entire continent of Africa (sure, not much revenue there except for South Africa and perhaps a bit in some of the north African countries, but that can always change as economic conditions improve in large countries such as Nigeria or Kongo), or the richer Middle Easten countries like UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain or Qatar.

Arguably, EU regulation might do well to keep us safe from the most predatory practices, assuming the next EU Parliament actually has enough people that are not overtaken by current events such as the evolution of gaming, and that there is enough political will to regulate, which is at the very least doubtful since two out of three of the groups that form the majority in the EU Parliament are "pro-business". But I don't think it can actually change the global trend that turns games - once a medium where game loving programmers, artists and designers could express their creativity and make a living on the side - into this cold exercise in mass production they currently are being turned into.

One can only hope that once the transition of the big developers to mobile (biggest slice of the market and all that), we might start having better games on PC, but I'm pessimistic about it.
Did anyone here actually read the linked article?

It is on about real money transactions in games NOT the quality of games.
I think we'll see EU legislation on it....I want to say soon but maybe soon-ish?
I don't personally mind loot boxes in for example Overwatch. I actually think Overwatch has a great design as it pertains to microtransactions vs. gameplay rewards vs. enjoyment.
But there's an obvious need to be more protective of especially kids playing these games, who's critical thinking and ability to say no is not as strong as for adults. Right now it's kind of the wild west and companies do whatever the hell they please, and that's hardly ideal.

What's going on in China is a bit different. That's more politically motivated. In fact it's completely politically motivated. I don't think gamers, or anyone for that matter, should be applauding what China are doing. But now I'm stepping into political territory and that's not allowed on the WoW forums.... There's some irony in that :D
12/11/2018 09:57Posted by Dommina

Exacly how is now ... Pay to unlock all the game or dont throw in a euro here and there and play half of the game
12/11/2018 09:57Posted by Dommina

Do you honestly think that there is no link between game quality and the monetization scheme?

12/11/2018 09:58Posted by Jito
What's going on in China is a bit different. That's more politically motivated. In fact it's completely politically motivated. I don't think gamers, or anyone for that matter, should be applauding what China are doing.

The Chinese authorities are generally bulls in a China shop, but this time they have a point.
12/11/2018 09:47Posted by Slerk
You know what would be better?

If there was a certain quality in gameplay (tested by a court outside of the company or industry) that every company has to reach. Fallout 76 would have gotten trashed. Any EA game would get trashed. BfA would have been trashed and WoW altogether seeing how controversial changes in leveling etc. are.

The game doesn't reach it's certain quality? Well, then the company isn't allowed to release it. Want to release it? Then get some quality up. And of course they would assure that the quality standards are holding up when it's released. If they lied or something then they would get a penalty that would ruin their company. Pretty simple. Deliver quality or your company gets destroyed

And then we only get the same 2-3 games cause the people, that are in charge of deciding whether a game is good or not, only like Fifa/CoD/Whatever and they won't approve underdogs like Undertale/Binding of Isaac/Etc.

What is the level of quality that you set as standard? Some people like trashy games, some like sandbox games, those only are as entertaining as you make them.

If they lied or something then they would get a penalty that would ruin their company. Pretty simple. Deliver quality or your company gets destroyed

Thats the concept of a free market, not a regulated one.
12/11/2018 10:07Posted by Mojomane
Thats the concept of a free market, not a regulated one.

Yeah we are seeing what an unchecked market is doing, no corporate greed and enormous companies fu***** over the world at all ;^)

They are doing anything to maximize profit because they are FREE to do so, CoD is a great example, a reskinned game with tiny alterations sold every year for 60$ or more
If you want a good game. Go have a nose about some indie titles.

Sadly wow has transformed and micro transactions will be the norm.
12/11/2018 12:02Posted by Silvessa
If you want a good game. Go have a nose about some indie titles.

Sadly wow has transformed and micro transactions will be the norm.

That's a general issue with the industry tbh, all new ideas are "risky" so small unknown studios accept them in hopes of making something good or getting bigger but have no real budget to create something big or detailed enough.

Meanwhile the companies who have giant budgets just remake old things instead of risking new ideas
12/11/2018 09:42Posted by Râlph

Though i dont expect much from the US in its current state xD

Do you know what that actually did ? It basically killed whole steam market ...
In the long run bringing politics into gaming is only going to hurt players ..
Gaming is mainstream now so that's a big reason for the change and i doubt it's going to change anytime soon. There's too much money to be made - Look at what Ninja is doing at NYE with his huge streaming Event