Will I gimp my raid by playing Shadow Priest?

Classic Discussion
I have a burning passion for shadow priest in vanilla and I mostly want to raid.

I've been talking to some people I know and some of them say that they would never bring a shadow priest into raid and others say that they absolutely want 1 shadow priest in their raid group.

Why the mixed reactions? From my understanding, shadow priests in classic are mainly brought to raids to buff the damage output of your warlocks with Shadow Weaving.

How many warlocks would a raid need to make 1 shadow priest worth bringing over a mage for example, and am I gimping the raids DPS by taking up that raid spot?
It varies from guild to guild. The reason a guild will want a Shadow Priest is for the debuff Shadow Weaving which will give Warlocks increased damage.

Technically a Holy Priest can spec into this talent and keep it up by casting a low rank shadow spell, but most guilds will be perfectly happy to bring a deep Shadow specced priest as a full time DPS. If you are willing to put in the effort of bringing the needed consumables (Shadow can be very mana intensive without the TBC Shadow Fiend) you will find a raidspot somewhere.
13/11/2018 00:15Posted by Luminé
How many warlocks would a raid need to make 1 shadow priest worth bringing over a mage for example, and am I gimping the raids DPS by taking up that raid spot?

It really depends on how progression focused the raid is, what kind of setup they have and how good the shadow priest is. I'd be most worried about the latter when recruiting a priest to fill that spot. If the spriest understands what a dps support role is, then sure. If they come with the "I'm here to rock the meters" mentality, no :P
For "progression guilds" you will be intresting once Warlocks start to get some items and boost their damage. About AQ-Naxx. Before that your spot is better filled with another good DPS class, since that will generate more DPS than your shadow weaving.

In any other guild you could get a spot if you put in the work of any other class and have some friendly guildies.

I think there will be plenty guild for Spriests to play in, just not the "hardcore" once at start. Not everybody is min/maxing...

I really want to stress that to alot of people here reading the forums and that are interested in Classic. There's a much bigger world out there than what people will have you think, alot more speccs and items you could wear. They might not be anything for some people, but if you allow yourself to let go of that min/max thing (which means nothing in greater parts of Vanilla) you will allow more room for fun. Collect tiers, equip fun trinkets, try odd speccs. Its your world.
With 16-debuff slots there will be no mechanical problem with Shadow priests and pretty much any raid group can use one - wherever hardcore or not. Just note that if there will be a healer problem a shadow priest may be asked to heal or decurse during a fight.
13/11/2018 06:12Posted by Nethelie
It really depends on how progression focused the raid is, what kind of setup they have and how good the shadow priest is. I'd be most worried about the latter when recruiting a priest to fill that spot. If the spriest understands what a dps support role is, then sure. If they come with the "I'm here to rock the meters" mentality, no :P

This.
One spriest per Raid. Looks like the 8 slot debuff limit is just a memory now so you and your spriest are ofc viable. Just try to get a guild before launch, youll probably do a little bit of work to get the only spriest spot in a raid. Be early. Good luck :)

Edit: ye you wont shine on the dps meters. Youll be more of a dps+support, like shamans (heal+support tho). I really like this things to exist in vanilla/classic.
Me myself like to play the support role when it comes to MMO games.
13/11/2018 00:15Posted by Luminé
I have a burning passion for shadow priest in vanilla and I mostly want to raid.

I've been talking to some people I know and some of them say that they would never bring a shadow priest into raid and others say that they absolutely want 1 shadow priest in their raid group.

Why the mixed reactions? From my understanding, shadow priests in classic are mainly brought to raids to buff the damage output of your warlocks with Shadow Weaving.

shadow priests are good, its mathematicaly justified for 3+ warlocks, and its still good or near equal for 2 warlocks,

depending on the stage of the game or the progress of your Guild, sometimes you can even outnumber (only with your personal dps) the warlocks you have suppose to strengthen
1) With 16 debuff slots, 1 shadow priest per raid is perfectly viable. With 8 slots he is not. Note that it's only 1 per raid so good luck getting that raid spot which will likely go to a good friend of the GM/Raid Leader. Hope you're that friend.

2) Viable Shadow Priest requires much more consumables than a regular dps making him costly character to play gold or time-wise. It is not a casual class.

3) Classic is not Vanilla. I'm sure many guilds will be more than open to accept non-standard specs (for good or ill). If you're not interested in a hardcore guild and are okay with a slower progress, I'm sure you'll find a raid spot if you try.
Warlock without Shadow Priest in Raid = useless and suboptimal for any purpose, I'd rather use 1 Shadow Priest than 1 Warlock in Raid if the Raid have to choose only 1 between them two.

1- Shadow Priest boost Warlock DPS from ShadowWeave debuff.
2- Shadow Priest boost Warlock DPS thru Healing from Vampiric Embrace , so Warlock can Lifetap , otherwise Warlock will OOM in few seconds and do 0 DPS.
3- Shadow Priest helps Dispelling and DPS at the same time.

And last thing is that, Shadow Priest is strongest Class against 3 Targets, thanks to Multi Dots , so Bosses who apparently have "Adds" are going to be Shadow priest best day!

You are not going to be suboptimal , neither gimp anything ,don't let those Trolls lie you with their False information.

You don't need to bring thousands of Consumes too , all you need is to bring DPS Gear who has LOT of Intellect and Spirit in it.
13/11/2018 09:58Posted by Killerduki
Warlock without Shadow Priest in Raid = useless and suboptimal for any purpose, I'd rather use 1 Shadow Priest than 1 Warlock in Raid if the Raid have to choose only 1 between them two.

I'm sure the mages in your group will be overjoyed to hear that you picked a spriest so no curse of elements for them :P
Thanks for all the helpful replies guys! :)

I understand that shadow priest is a support spec more than anything just didn't know how good and valuable their kit was to bring but hearing from you all it seems to be good.

I really enjoy playing this kind of role, supporting other dps and sometimes maybe off healing for certain parts
No, with the 16 debuff slots. You'll be a great asset. Though you'll be below par on dps. They'll bring you for the extra Shadow Damage.

And I'm fine with it. :3

Due to the limit though, you're not usually allowed to use your dots (VE, SW:P)

1- Shadow Priest boost Warlock DPS from ShadowWeave debuff.
2- Shadow Priest boost Warlock DPS thru Healing from Vampiric Embrace , so Warlock can Lifetap , otherwise Warlock will OOM in few seconds and do 0 DPS.
3- Shadow Priest helps Dispelling and DPS at the same time.

And last thing is that, Shadow Priest is strongest Class against 3 Targets, thanks to Multi Dots , so Bosses who apparently have "Adds" are going to be Shadow priest best day!

You are not going to be suboptimal , neither gimp anything ,don't let those Trolls lie you with their False information.

You don't need to bring thousands of Consumes too , all you need is to bring DPS Gear who has LOT of Intellect and Spirit in it.

Whenever I read a Killerduki reply/thread (surprised it did not involve any whine about prot/ret Paladin), it is always hard to tell if he is actually trying to be serious or just an awesome troll. This time there were too many things that yell troll... God, I hope you are a troll... No way you actually believe in what you just posted.

@OP Everything has been mentioned: There is usually only 1 spot for SP in each raid, some take a Holy/Shadow hybrid for this job. Competition for that one spot is obviously high and it makes sense to start asap with looking for a guild so this rare spot can actually be yours.
GL with your Shadow :)
By Dürkest
Whenever I read a Killerduki reply/thread (surprised it did not involve any whine about prot/ret Paladin), it is always hard to tell if he is actually trying to be serious or just an awesome troll. This time there were too many things that yell troll... God, I hope you are a troll... No way you actually believe in what you just posted.

@OP Everything has been mentioned: There is usually only 1 spot for SP in each raid, some take a Holy/Shadow hybrid for this job. Competition for that one spot is obviously high and it makes sense to start asap with looking for a guild so this rare spot can actually be yours.
GL with your Shadow :)

I never read more nonsense than what you just wrote, you are nothing but a little troll who have no !@#$ing clue what he is talking about.

It's so depressive to even read you, nobody with half brain will ever consider you or take you any serious.
I never read more nonsense that what you just wrote, you are nothing but a little troll who have no !@#$ing clue what he is talking about.

Yet everything he wrote was the truth imagine that
Is Vampiric Embrace worth a debuff slot? I remember we had a Shadow Priest topping heals in one of the guilds I was in. But much of it was overhealing since you don’t have much control over who gets healed.
2- Shadow Priest boost Warlock DPS thru Healing from Vampiric Embrace

Yeah, no. You'll pull threat in no time when you're dpsing and AoE healing. Good idea in theory, doesn't work in practice. Maybe it works on buggy pservers, but not in Vanilla.

You'll need consumables for mana since SP spells are expensive and they don't have internal mana regeneration mechanics like Mage or Warlock. SP gear is mostly about +spell dmg. A good spirit gear would help for sure, but it'll nerf your damage to oblivion. Go check SP BiS lists, you see a lot of spirit on them? There's a reason locks and mages don't use spirit gear. So basically you'll need every mana consumable in game to prevent from going oom while other casters can get by with a simple mana pot every now and then.

EDIT: You don't have to believe any one of us. Instead you can do your own first hand research by hopping to some insta-60 vanilla pserver and roll a SP. Then play with a target dummy to get a feel about gear and dps with any class.
13/11/2018 15:33Posted by Alagner
Is Vampiric Embrace worth a debuff slot? I remember we had a Shadow Priest topping heals in one of the guilds I was in. But much of it was overhealing since you don’t have much control over who gets healed.

Except for very few occasions: No, it is not worth it, because all it does is a lot of overheal and a massive amount of threat at the cost of a Debuff slot. There are a few bosses with constant AoE dmg like Vael, where it actually makes sense to use it but be sure to communicate that with your raidlead :)
13/11/2018 15:33Posted by Alagner

Only if you want to amuse your raid by killing your entire party on Nefarian when there's a Priest class call.