Maining two characters?

Classic Discussion
I really can't decide between maining shaman or hunter. Is it possible to level both simultaneously? I'm not a huge fan of constant min/maxing, but I wonder if it is possible to utilize rested time in a really efficient way and not lose too much time, compared to leveling just one character at a time.

How many characters will you level at the same time, around the same level?
you wont rest as much as you level on the other chracter, that said its faster to concentrate on your first character and then use all gathered ressources to make the other level faster (gold, propably weapons and other equipment, crafting stuff, whatever)
I would say best way is to level one and have an alt ready, maybe do few quests here and there, but wait for it when your main reaches 60 and the "pressure" is off. You can then funnel some money and level your alt, even for example in-between end-game dungeon gearing runs on your main.
It's possible just so long as you realise how long it will take you, levelling one char can take months let alone two. Of course if you don't have a job or social life and you're gonna go flat out then based on the assumption you're not well versed in vanilla levelling it's gonna take you about 9-12 days played time for one char, so if you play give or take 12 hours a day you will get it done in 3-4 weeks.

On a realistic time frame of course that turns into months, and with two chars yeah you can use rested to speed things up but it just means it will take you that much longer to get your first char to 60. it's all a trade off and you're talking a huge time commitment for just the one.
13/11/2018 20:58Posted by Bigkeg
I would say best way is to level one and have an alt ready, maybe do few quests here and there, but wait for it when your main reaches 60 and the "pressure" is off. You can then funnel some money and level your alt, even for example in-between end-game dungeon gearing runs on your main.

I get that, but I doubt I am even willing to focus on one character. Sometimes it's nice to mess around on a lower leveled alt.

But yes, professions are something to think about too. At least one of them will be engineer, and I'm guessing mining will be tough competition. Other will be skinner and LW.
You can then make twinks. As for professions like LW - you will usually get better gear while leveling than from what you will be able to craft.
13/11/2018 21:34Posted by Bigkeg
You can then make twinks. As for professions like LW - you will usually get better gear while leveling than from what you will be able to craft.
What about some pre-raid gear? Dragonscale stuff, etc.

Maybe I will go miner+engi on one, and miner+herb/skin on other.
Tailoring has a BoP chest piece for each cloth class. Most other things if not all are BoE and can be crafted by other people too - so it's up to you if you want to make LW and then specialize - some crafting fee money can be had from Devilsaur, and later on from other custom things (like Hide of the Wild for healers or Molten Helm for feral offtank) but also from mass making greens to DE into enchanting mats (that then could go into mana/wizard oils etc.)

Some cooler items are hidden behind recipe drops and those may be rare, require a lot of rep grind or even raid materials (like from MC fire stuff and Thorium Brotherhood items). If things like Cenarion Circle will be from start and you will be able to farm rep beforehand there will be more "catchup" craftable blues and likely few powerful epics too early on.

While leveling it's advised to have skinning for vendoring skins for extra early income. Future leatherworker could stash those skins on a bank alt and use second gathering profession for extra vendor value or stashing for two crafting professions in the end game (like engineering will be based a lot on trinkets so constant mining professions isn't that much needed).

If you will have two characters you can have crafting on the less adventure-oriented character and gathering on the more adventure oriented one (travel/ghost form, stealth, ability to reach rich thorium node or black lotus guarded by an elite, epic mount).
Just some info to help you decide.

One bubble of rested XP (5% of a level) is earned for every 8 hours spent resting. A maximum of 30 bubbles (150% of a level) may be earned. In other words, you can leave your character resting in an inn or capital city for up to 10 days
Since rest XP is based on percentage, higher level characters will receive higher absolute rest xp. So the higher your level, the better rest is for you.
You certainly can, and if you can invest the time it can be very beneficial (multiple professions available).

However, it's very time consuming to level and good luck convincing any guild to split gear between your two characters (you'll likely have to share DKP between them).
If you are like me and don't level maniacally, you are going to periodically take a brake from the game as the character's pprogression slows down, or make an alt, and end up with 5 or 6 of them. I think 3 characters is optimal, so you can juggle them and utilize that rested bonus on the higher-leveled one.
Hunter is the best leveler and gold farmer of the 2. So lvl that one first and save rested for your shaman + buy him gear for leveling (go go staff of jordan).
I'll be dual logging anyway. Beastmaster Hunter for killing/farming, and Prot. Warrior for main tanking raids.
It is possible, and it used to be an important thing.

Guides were not as readily available. I had many alts (except Paladin) not at max level or anything. But close enough (I felt) to get a feel of how the class plays and most importantly, what to look out for when facing said class.
14/11/2018 10:29Posted by Thunderwind
I'll be dual logging anyway. Beastmaster Hunter for killing/farming, and Prot. Warrior for main tanking raids.

Exactly my plan as well, except a mage instead of a warrior tank.
I'm planning to level them both to 10 then drop them in an inn. Most likely I'll level the hunter first and whenever the mage is nearing max rested xp, I'll level that until it's depleted, rince and repeat.
Don't understimate this though, even if you level 2 characters, I think it's a good idea to decide which one will be your true main (my mage in my case).

Good luck!
13/11/2018 20:33Posted by Felsome
How many characters will you level at the same time, around the same level?
I will at the very least be team-leveling:

- a Feral Druid with Herbalisme and Alchemy.
- a Hunter with Skinning and Leatherworking.
- a Warlock with Tailoring and Enchanting.

And if the spirit catches me i may add;
- a Paladin with Mining and Blackmithing.

And all of them will be practising:
- Fishing.
- Cooking.
- First aid.

And when they are all lvl 60 and all professions and skills maxed out... i'll do it again on Horde side ^^
14/11/2018 11:06Posted by Rechoque
14/11/2018 10:29Posted by Thunderwind

Exactly my plan as well, except a mage instead of a warrior tank.
I'm planning to level them both to 10 then drop them in an inn. Most likely I'll level the hunter first and whenever the mage is nearing max rested xp, I'll level that until it's depleted, rince and repeat.
Don't understimate this though, even if you level 2 characters, I think it's a good idea to decide which one will be your true main (my mage in my case).

Good luck!
I'll be doing both at the same time, on my two accounts ;)
This way I won't have to endure the very slow killing rate of a tank while leveling.