Pet battles get no love

Pet Battles
Ever since pet battling was introduced to the game back in MoP, it has been completely left to it's fate, with the exceptions of new pets and a few minor tweaks here and there.

There are still major issues that plague this game mode, the least of which are ability glitches. There are so many glaring bugs that anyone will eventually stubble upon them.
I've had my Nocturnal Strike miss, even though it's tooltip specifically states that it always hits when a foe is blinded.
Abilities like Flock will miss the first hit when the pet using it is blinded, but the following two will always hit despite that glaring 0% hit chance debuff.
Haunt resets it's cooldown when the pet that it's been used on dies on the same turn that the ability was used... You get the point.

My other strife with pet battles is the excessive use of AE abilities. It's a tactic that requires practically no reactionary strategy or thinking, yet bares better fruit than most conventional teams.
The metaphorical wings of this tactic should be swiftly clipped to the point where it not only isn't very powerful, but rather non-existent, with the odd occasional AE strike here and there... on a minimum of 4 turn cooldown.

Another neglected aspect of battling is the lack of new locations. You have a wacky pet battle pvp mode and what do you do with it? Place everyone safely on the ground in an open space...

Lack. Of. Imagination. Put us, like, on top of a flippin' zeppelin that's on fire, firing rockets and cannonballs at zombie dragons while gnome and goblins run around the deck screaming and on fire!

....or something. Just crank it up to eleven! :P

My last gripe is the lack of actually useful pets. There are some good pvp pets and some good pve pets.
I won't say that there aren't many of them, but for a game with 1000 flippin' unique pets, you only ever get to see or use just a handful!

Go back and make more pets interesting. I would very much like to be able to use some of my wacky or cute pets in actual battle without having a feeling of utter inefficiency and ineptitude washed over me.
Baby Elderhorn for new meta. Thanks. :3

Some may say "But nobody plays pet battles! Blizzard won't spend precious time and resources on a dead game mode!" Well, let me tell you something, friend... *intense stare* You. Are. Dead. Wrong. *staring intensifies*
Build it and they will come, I say.

So, yeah... Those were my quite possibly a little over two cents on pet battles. What are your thoughts on pet battles and what do you think should be done with them, if anything.
I presume you're talking about PvP specifically.

Bugs? yes. And they're at least sometimes annoying. Occasionally very annoying. (But when I hear someone complain about NS missing in Darkness my thoughts go to the Usual Suspects. We've heard that one too often. Show us your battle logs, and then we may pay attention.)

Balancing AoE is not easy. I remember the Graves meta. I think they've got it about right now; competitive but not overpowering. I wouldn't want it removed, otherwise you get nothing but Rabbits and Marmots, and Return of the Teroclaw, even in its nerfed state.

I do not want to pet battle on top of an exploding zeppelin!

Any pet can be used. You want to use Baby Elderhorn? Feel free. You can make a team out of anything. Rosqo recently made a vid showing off ... the Tainted Waveling! Seemed like more work than you might use with other pets, but when you build the right team around its strengths and weaknesses, anything can be viable. And there are very few if any of those 1000 pets that are truly very weak, and there are diamonds to be found in the rough, IF you know what you're doing: Never forget Discomouse!

But what you can't do is select three random unconnected pets with no synergy and walk in and expect to pwn the queue.

Unfortunately, the pets that are at the same time strong and easy to play tend to dominate metas. Not so much at the moment, though, AFAIK, which is itself a triumph for the devs.

I think pet battles get a pretty good shake from the devs ... except for PvP. I don't agree with all of the PvE stuff, and I'm disappointed that we're repeating Family Familiar again instead of something more imaginative, but I'm satisfied enough with it.

I think they're thrown up their hands at PvP, though. We need regular short-term goals, and we need some - not extreme, but some - reason to change up the pets we use every week. Oh, and the bugs fixed. And I would be happy to start up in PvP again.
14/10/2018 17:44Posted by Blairyn
Build it and they will come, I say.

Orly? Where did you place in Spinning's recent PvP Tournament? He just this minute noted that he got only 5 people EU enquiring about the PvP league.
You havent paid attention OP. The next pet battle dungeon is out in 8.1, so your presumption is false about lack of content.
I've had my Nocturnal Strike miss, even though it's tooltip specifically states that it always hits when a foe is blinded.

I think it's just the wording is misleading. It has a 50% hit chance and a 100% hit chance if the target is blinded. Then other modifiers apply. If the attacking pet is affected by Darkness or Sandstorm for example you'll receive a -10% penalty.

Abilities like Flock will miss the first hit when the pet using it is blinded, but the following two will always hit despite that glaring 0% hit chance debuff.

I don't know if it's still the case but this affected also positive hit bonus like for example Moth Balls + Uncunny Luck.

Haunt resets it's cooldown when the pet that it's been used on dies on the same turn that the ability was used... You get the point.

Some other bugs I've noticed:
- If you use an ability that "always goes first" and you get stunned by a trap, your pet will keep the speed boost for whatever ability you use next after coming out of the stun.
- Stuns interrupt "recharging" after attacks like Solar Beam or Ion Cannon. I've sometimes taken advantage of this myself.

About the other stuff, I agree many pets are bad from a competitive standpoint but they're simply meant to be basic counters. I think there's a ton of good pets, it's just there's a lot more of the other kind, but if all pets were extraordinary balancing would become insanely difficult.

Currently I'm happy with the variety.

I think it's just the wording is misleading. It has a 50% hit chance and a 100% hit chance if the target is blinded. Then other modifiers apply. If the attacking pet is affected by Darkness or Sandstorm for example you'll receive a -10% penalty.

I thought it was that the target being Blinded results in an extra 100% (or was it 150%) chance to hit, rather than just an extra 50%. Long time since I checked, though.
The always hit modifiers are an extra 150% so with certain debuffs you can miss.
There are a whole bunch of bugged abilities though and surprisingly they continue to be released stuff like twilight meteorite, poison protocol and unstable shield.
15/10/2018 11:39Posted by Rosqo
The always hit modifiers are an extra 150% so with certain debuffs you can miss.

I wasn't aware of that but when I bothered to test the fail ratio of Nocturnal Strike (to be fair a very small sample) long ago I remember it was around 10%, so I just assumed it was 100% minus the Darkness debuff.
1. Elemental pets are not blinded under Darkness.
I don't say it was your case, but at this point I feel compelled to stamp this expression everywhere.

2. About the Flock and hit chance: Not even this might be consistent. If Flurry nullifies blockades unlike its clones, and Bone/Banana Barrage can't be blinded/buffed like other barrages, I suspect any numerous order of abilities needs some analysis.

3. The cooldown seems to have been reset, but the ability itself isn't actually unlocked. If I recall correctly, choosing it at this point does nothing. It has, however, several other problems, such as the caster not returning if the target was killed by a secondary attack of multi-hit ability. Some issues are related to mechanics in their entirety, such as demise of a haunter that enters the target during already lasting haunting.

4. The AoE abilities have been actually nerfed at the start of the Legion, it's the 7.3 that brought aberrant values back. Twilight Meteorite in particular has got a value that has never been there before (50 contra pre-nerf 40), and is on par with Ion Cannon/Surge of Power without recharging. The lack of at least commentary before the 8.0 is disappointing IMO, seeing what changes were made instead. Of course, they had had other problems and the pet battles seem to be far, far away anyway.

5. I had an idea related to this. There are only so few items that can drop from a PvP battle, so I thought about consumables that would alter the background of your next battle to a specific place. Maybe some could be unlocked by queuing with specific pets. Could be a bit database-unfriendly, and frustrating when you run into an instant forfeit, but it would meet the needs of PvPers to have something related to their activity.

Speaking of bugs, quirks and surprising mechanics further, Rosqo's already hinted at some of them.
I can list you a thread full of them, but warning: you will go insane.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20762197237
…and THIS IS NOT EVEN A FULL LIST! :P

I know how annoying the complaining can sound, especially these days. But I don't think anyone wants to simply vent out. I've both submitted and seen suggestions, aswell as witnessed discussions going far beyond "fix plz".
If anything, there are people who care. A complete silence, happening every so often, could be far more dreadful.
Show us your battle logs, and then we may pay attention.

Orly? Where did you place in Spinning's recent PvP Tournament? He just this minute noted that he got only 5 people EU enquiring about the PvP league.

Who's "we" and what does a player tournament have to do with the development team building additional pet battle things? Moreover, you'll have to present some logical argument about all the wild claims you've made in your post.

You claim that aoe builds are fine because if they weren't in the game then the meta would be even more limited, which is true, but then you contradict yourself by saying that almost every pet out of those over 1000 in the game are actually useful, which clearly isn't the case.

I think you're being intellectually dishonest in your replies, in an effort to diminish the validity of my points and present your own opinion as the established norm. You've pretty much dodged or distorted all my main points, after all.

Also, someone mentioned a pet dungeon? There actually are dungeons specifically created for pet battles? If that's the case then the game does a really poor job of making players aware of their existence. It clearly paints those dungeons are a fleeting afterthought, if they're even worth playing at all.
18/10/2018 15:56Posted by Blairyn
Who's "we"

We are the people who read your post, the relatively few people who read this forum.
what does a player tournament have to do with the development team building additional pet battle things?

You said "Build it and they will come". But Leo works REALLY hard to build tournaments, which are much more interesting than the regular PvP, and sadly they don't come. He built something. They didn't come. We didn't come. You didn't. I didn't.

Now, I do think the devs could do some things to make PvP more interesting and more populated, but that's another story.
You claim that aoe builds are fine because if they weren't in the game then the meta would be even more limited, which is true, but then you contradict yourself by saying that almost every pet out of those over 1000 in the game are actually useful, which clearly isn't the case.

I don't understand?

This whole game is a dynamic balance of types of abilities, which you can consider as a circle of predator-prey relationships. AoE is the counter to Avoidance. If there's too little AoE in the mix, then Avoidance pets become too strong, because they have no natural predators.

But I don't understand why my saying that almost every pet in the game can be used contradicts that. In fact, it follows, because every pet counters something. If you can clarify that, I'll try to give an answer.
Also, someone mentioned a pet dungeon? There actually are dungeons specifically created for pet battles?

There are two, modelled after Wailing Caverns and The Deadmines. Gnomeregan is coming up in 8.1.

The quest to start Wailing Caverns is available in the Pet Shop in Dalaran. You beat it. Then you go back to beat it on "Heroic", where you are not allowed to heal. You can run it every week for a chance at pets that drop.
https://www.wowhead.com/quest=45423/wailing-critters#comments
https://wow-petguide.com/index.php?m=WailingCritters

Having completed WC, you can now take The Deadmines, also in the pet shop.
If that's the case then the game does a really poor job of making players aware of their existence. It clearly paints those dungeons are a fleeting afterthought, if they're even worth playing at all.

The game does a really poor job of making players aware of most things, not just pets. :P We all rely on Wowhead and Icy-Veins and YouTube so much to know what to do and how to do it.

So yes, I'd like to see more in-game communication, and not just about pets. Since I am interested enough to watch here and on WarcraftPets.com and in the Discord, I am pretty up to date, but for people without that base, it is not necessarily easy to figure out the right connections.
You said "Build it and they will come". But Leo works REALLY hard to build tournaments, which are much more interesting than the regular PvP, and sadly they don't come.
that is because, it is NOT more interesting, compared to ingame pvp which gives [Polished Pet Charm] while this "tournament" has nothing to offer thats worth the time....

18/10/2018 16:37Posted by Gráinne
So yes, I'd like to see more in-game communication, and not just about pets. Since I am interested enough to watch here and on WarcraftPets.com and in the Discord, I am pretty up to date, but for people without that base, it is not necessarily easy to figure out the right connections.

Or one could at least read the Patchnotes.....
The tournament allows you to meet people that are geniunly interested in pet pvp. You get to share ideas and practice. In terms of actual, material things - winners get substantial gold prizes or rare pets. I usually try to set the “prize benchmark” around 250,000-350,000 gold. I appreciate kind words, though @Grainne, ty.
Do PvP tournaments have diferente rules, like not allowing 3 of the same pet?
Well, obviously a tournament has the rules that its convenor makes. I absolutely can't imagine anyone entering a tournament would even think of using triples!

In the case of the tournaments that Спиннинг runs, entrants can veto a pet that they don't want to see - so, for example, Crawdads and BA will usually be disallowed, because people don't like to be stuck in multi-hundred-round matchups.
Triple sunflower D: