Why is Blizzard catering to a non-existent fanbase?

General
19/10/2018 21:34Posted by Dejarous
19/10/2018 21:03Posted by Kaelig
If you're going to post sarcastic garbage, just don't bother posting. Sick of people like this on the forums. Making no contribution of their own, instead just making everyone else feel bad for trying to voice an opinion.

OP posted garbage, treating the playerbase as one homogeneous block. Low effort posts generate low effort replies.

Well while I agree the OP was making generalizations, he's still making points. It's not hard to see what his points were. Responding with stupid comments doesn't help anything.

You mean like those people that repost the exact same negativity everyday but in slightly different words?

Negative feedback is still feedback. Blizzard's main problem is that they don't respond to feedback, when they rarely do it's because people have made SUCH a massive fuss about it they HAVE to respond/change (e.g. Azerite armor).
Like I said before, I know OP didn't word it in the more neutral way. But just look past the wording and to the key points.

19/10/2018 21:31Posted by Poly
You mean like when someone says they still like the game and then being called a white knight and part of the problem?

Yeah, I don't like those people either.

I never called anyone a "White Knight". I still play the game, A LOT. I don't like the game at the moment with the current systems. I do still play and try to provide, polite, clear and constructive feedback. It's cringey reddit type people that put 1 sentence responses for Likes. These comments do nothing but make people not want to post or listen to anything on these forums.
I never understood where the myth is coming from that casual=young.

I probably had a quite different childhood than you did. Kids are addicts.

When it comes to casuals I always think about those losers who choose family and responsibility over WoW. Oh wait... what?
not going to leave a long 5000 words respond. Just a half short one.

Maybe the MMORPG genre is just dying in general?
The older generation who like long games and mmorpgs gets older and stops playing.

And the new generation of gamers who want fast games and quick games they can just get into fast, without any real commitment and no need to spend hours on, maybe just doesn't want to play MMORPGS that's a slower type of game where you have to spend hours in?

Just look at the big new hyped multiplayer games. fortnite, PUBG, even dota 2 and lol still got a good amount of players.

I don't know if it's true, but that is just what i think.

and if that is true, then i don't really think blizzard can do anything about it, that is just how it is. People and society changes.
By looking at raider.io... mythic+... and ilvl... I will say that they are not appealing hard enough. This game still have tons of walls that are hard to climb upon. There are no MMO games that created as hard dungeons as Mythic+29 that noone ever completed and I hardly see this game as casual friendly.

If this game would be friendly to people OP described then we would have only normal and heroic raids, no mythic+ and 0 tools to preview peoples progress and gear. Like any other MMO starting with SWTOR, ending with TES:O.
Spamming.
19/10/2018 21:18Posted by Yinke
Oldfarts are retiring for various reasons, so Blizzard has to attract spoiled younger audience to keep game going. You can't really blame them.
old farts are quitting since cata exactly because of the thing u mentioned.
19/10/2018 19:20Posted by Krowell
The most common argument for Blizzards "casualization" of the game is that it caters to a wide audience, a younger and newer audience etc.

Obviously that hasn't worked, since right from the start of this mindset (Cataclysm) the player base has rapidly declined. Kids don't want to play WoW anymore, there are many other games that cater to their need for instant gratification (Fortnite for example).

No it's the opposite. A good few years ago Blizzard told us that most of the playerbase was hovering around in their twenties. I'd say by now it's probably late 20s. When I started raiding back in Wrath there were a fair few younger members who were in their mid teens; they are now in their twenties, finished Uni in some cases, started jobs and families etc. Now older, people have more responsibilities.

Blizzard have never catered to 'the kids' because their playerbase is more mature (in age!).

The 'kids' a few years ago would have played a MOBA and now would rather play a Battle Royale shooter like Fortnite.

WoW has always had players leaving, it's just the nature of the Genre, it requires a lot of time invested - even today. (Really!!) I have no doubt that it's partly due to some Blizzard choices but if the game never died during WoD then BfA is not going to kill it.

MMORPGs have had their day and that's the biggest reason why Blizzard wont make a WoW2
I got on the r.io leaderboards with a +2 key a couple of days ago, and I only have a score of 20.5. Even with that bare minimum score, I'm apparently ranked as somewhere around 110,000th.

Even if the leaked sub numbers are correct (bare in mind, that wouldn't include players playing on tokens, and that the guy who made the leak came out to very clearly state that those numbers were very unreliable) it would mean that, at most, 1/17th of the sub base has done even a single M+, maybe given a few thousand more for ones that didn't make the leaderboard.

I don't think it's the hardcore players keeping the game afloat.

EDIT: Actually that would be 110,000 characters, and god knows how many people have done M+ on multiple toons
Somebody name me one case where catering to the magical "wider audience" has worked? Just one.

I'm actually impressed that WoW has managed not to die for so long while doing it tbh.
19/10/2018 19:34Posted by Porinda
I don't blame them for catering to a younger audience. It's probably the best decision since it's a huge market. It explains why they made the expansion about War and made a Fortnite inspired PvP map, which is perfectly fine imo.

However, most fundamental problems in the game now have nothing to do with the kind of players they are targeting.

The azerite system being garbage, class balance being whack, ignoring feedback during beta. The list goes on.

Tbh, casualisation of WoW started during WoTLK when they made dungeons and Naxx a joke. It's not a problem of just BFA..

As an old timer, WoTLK struck the perfect balance imo. It made raiding accessible whilst still requiring the community. I had one of every healing class raiding as I'm an altoholic (or maybe three of them, don't recall), and loved it all. It was doable to get any character raid ready and to jump in. Classes weren't so samey that it wasn't worth doing that..and they still had plenty of spells. The pruning and GCD changes really burned me. I have a Monk healer, and don't see the point of taking another, even this, my historical main for most of the game -- you should've seen my face when I swapped to resto and didn't have Healing Touch. I had to Google that **** before I believed it wasn't some kind of joke. Awful decisions...

I think they went too far with LFR. The way it was was fine. WoTLK was the most fun I'd ever had in the game. I never ran out of things to do, or to want to aim for. Now they want you to see every inch of the world before you can get part of the ability to fly, so you don't 'skip' any content, meaning levelling alts is some serious broken record shizz. There's nothing new to see or do under the sun out in the world once you've done PF1.

I don't see Blizz ever going back to that quality of content, but I'd happily go back to Vanilla, BC, or Wrath a million times over BfA. So I'll definitely check out Classic, and hope they don't make any 'improvements' to it.
Can u Blizzard bring back wod demo and mop destro lock nobody wanted it to be removed u keep telling us how good the current specs are but nobody defends it if u keep support ur non existent fanbase ur real fanbase will turn away and leave the game.
20/10/2018 16:57Posted by Zestyzanzil
I got on the r.io leaderboards with a +2 key a couple of days ago, and I only have a score of 20.5. Even with that bare minimum score, I'm apparently ranked as somewhere around 110,000th.

You're on a dead server I presume. They only show a fixed amount of players on the leader boards for each realm so if you are on a lower pop realm there's more chance of appearing on it. The time of the week also factors.

20/10/2018 17:01Posted by Ishanku
Somebody name me one case where catering to the magical "wider audience" has worked? Just one.

Ehm... WoW.

It's almost 14 years old and is very much alive.

20/10/2018 18:17Posted by Démonhunter
ur real fanbase

aka... you.
20/10/2018 16:57Posted by Zestyzanzil

You're on a dead server I presume. They only show a fixed amount of players on the leader boards for each realm so if you are on a lower pop realm there's more chance of appearing on it. The time of the week also factors.

Not dead, but I guess not many players there do PvE.

But yes, I acknowledged that there will be more added to those figures that don't get counted, but what I'm saying is that with the bare minimum score of 20.5 you still rank at 110,000th on r.io. That means that there can't be much more than 110,000 characters to have registered as running a single M+ on the leaderboards. Even if we estimate that that only consists of main characters and only represents half of the people running m+ (a very, very, very generous asumption) that's still less than 1/8th of the playerbase (again, based on the Lowest of the low playerbase number estimations) doing 'hardcore' content. And as I'm sure you'll know, many people will contest that hardcore content doesn't count until you reach higher keys such as +8 anyway.

So yeah, not many people at all can be considered the hardcore playerbase, so if you're trying to make it out as if they're the only ones keeping the game afloat then I think you need to re-evaluate the situation.
Well I agree retail WoW sucks but this whole idea that only old people way WoW is ridiculous. Theres easily as many young as old... hell even the reports from the classic nostalrius private server had people as young as 15 playing.