What common beliefs do you disagree with?

Story
Although I am a strong supporter of morally gray faction war, I believe that the events of Cata, MoP, and especially BfA have stained the Alliance-Horde conflict so much that it should never be a major storyline again. Make the Alliance the bad guys, or even neutral, and the Horde will still appear evil because of its past atrocities. Make the Horde bad, and the Alliance will appear ridiculously stupid as it would be sparing its irredeemable rival for the third time now.

I'd rather have the current factions become irrrelevant and introduce the Light-Void conflict instead - because it would be more morally nuanced at this point.
10/11/2018 14:14Posted by Ashval
I'd rather have the current factions become irrrelevant and introduce the Light-Void conflict instead - because it would be more morally nuanced at this point.

Preach it.

I wouldn't say I'm "hoping" for it, but I am ready for the Alliance and Horde conflict to be shelved in exchange for Light and Void.
The Light should be good and the Void should be evil.

Not really an interpretation but more of a critique of the bad cosmology in this game. The Light used to be good, corresponding with various virtues. Now it's "just a power" which made it boring. The same goes for the Void, I mean it tells half-truths and corrupts anyone who is weak? Look at the Old Gods! Look at the Void Lords? And you're telling me that it's "just a power"? And the Light never intends to harm anyone, instead it is used for healing, and bring justice. But yeah, in a desperate effort to make the game "morally grey", they got rid of the classical division between those two powers, making it only more confusing.

The Light is good and the Void is bad. And that is that.

EDIT

Also, the upcoming Void vs. Light war would make no sense if we're just fighting against some random cosmological powers.
10/11/2018 14:23Posted by Theronarum
Also, the upcoming Void vs. Light war would make no sense if we're just fighting against some random cosmological powers.

Take that, rainbow! Huzzah! Charge, brothers!
Also, I disagree with how every race can ride every other race's mounts.

Sabers should be Kaldorei-only.

A Draenei on a Mechanostrider should be impossible. Likewise I doubt, aside from the Draenei and Kaldorei, any other Alliance-race should be capable of riding Wolves.

Forsaken should only be allowed to ride Undeath Mounts. You're not going to tell me any living creature, who are often depicted as very intelligent like Gryhpons, Wyverns and Hippogryphs, would allow an undeath creature who's whole existence screams evil, to ride on its back.
I dislike the idea that there's a hard segregation between the world we experience in game and the story. I don't think is a misconception - it's certainly more true than not - but I still don't like it.
10/11/2018 14:54Posted by Moridunum
Forsaken should only be allowed to ride Undeath Mounts. You're not going to tell me any living creature, who are often depicted as very intelligent like Gryhpons, Wyverns and Hippogryphs, would allow an undeath creature who's whole existence screams evil, to ride on its back.

This is kind of why the Sun Hawks are Sin'dorei only. No Death Knights, No Demon Hunters, A Dragonhawk is our Battle-Brother or Battle-Sister, they are Bonded to us, they won't even let other members of the unit fly on them. The Bonding is a two-way process, almost like a spiritual marriage, and something with the stink of a Demon or the Unnatural antiseptic lack of odour of a Forsaken or Death Knight would just appall them. Just a whole lot of 'Nope'.

Just about every Flying mount at least, is shown to be intelligent to a degree that such would matter to them. I mean feck, Dragonhawks have even invented racism. (I'm not saying that is a -good- thing!, but they do have racism within their own species. They're obviously fairly mentally developed...Even if utterly wrong)

But yeah, totally agree with Mori there.
Wranduin is the best thing ever and that Blizzard took Wrathion out because of it shows how cowardly they are.

Anduin is a great character, he just needs a more appropriate role in the story and face actual repercussions for his actions.
10/11/2018 14:54Posted by Moridunum
Also, I disagree with how every race can ride every other race's mounts.

Sabers should be Kaldorei-only.

A Draenei on a Mechanostrider should be impossible. Likewise I doubt, aside from the Draenei and Kaldorei, any other Alliance-race should be capable of riding Wolves.

Up until somewhere in tbc or wrath, only gnomes and dwarves could ride mechanostriders, similarly, tauren couldn't use hawkstriders
That the lore and story used to be better.

Sorry folks, but that's a load of plain bs.

First off, there has never been any consistency in regards to its in-universe rules. Just look at the magic systems. Someone who reads fantasy authors like Sanderson knows what a good, believable magic system looks like. Sanderson's especially is almost like a science. Magic in Warcraft is literally just whatever is cool and needed for the story at that moment. No consistency in the story either. I'm sure I don't have to remind anyone of the countless retcons we have had over the years.

And do I need to mention the villains? Characters like Illidan, Arthas and Deathwing were relegated to being simple endbosses. They literally were marketing tools to show potential players what kind of badass villain they were going to fight with. They got ripped out of their places in the overarching story (heck, the early expansions were basically completely self-contained stories, what a "world") to give players an epic enemy to fight at the end of the xpac. As for these xpac's other story flaws, they were numerous: Kael'thas being butchered, writers being undecided on whether Arthas still had humanity left in him, Illidan being retconned and dumbed down to a random cartoon villain (the re-retcon in Legion was the best ever imo), turning the Forsaken into Scourge 2.0 etc.

Later expansions were better in some regards: they better related to the overarching story, more natural progression between xpacs, no fodder endbosses. Still, I don't have to remind anyone of the whole time travelling business in WoD. And what about Legion, which made a big lore mistake by streamlining priest faiths and shadow magics into either Light or Void, or how even in the Argus patch writers still couldn't agree on how exactly demons reincarnate?

Then there's also the eternal issue of gameplay mechanics (there must always be two factions and races can never leave one, how does resurrection work, other abilities that have no lore basis ie shaman astrall recall and ghost wolf).

If BfA's narrative is flawed, it's only because it tries to have a better one than previous expansions (which shouldn't be that hard to do, but okay, this is Blizzard right). Overall, WoW having a weak story and shaky lore is nothing new. It really is best to treat it like a comic book instead of a fantasy book. It's only bad because people have unrealistic expectations, which should have been tempered in the previous... 14 years.
That the Alliance is about 'unity'.
BS, The Alliance cares about humans and humans alone, the rest is just a necessary evil and cannon fodder.
Love that Tyrande finnaly stands up against Anduin.

Saurfang is a traitor to the Horde. Period. He should be executed for exactly that and if he wanted to have his Horde back he should've challanged Sylvanas to a Mak'gora. And people saying "well she would just cheat!" - good - let her, let the entire horde see how she cheats in a Mak'gora and raise up against her.

Just my 2 cents :3 - Get rid of factions, it's forced and makes little to no sense anymore!
At this point, I just want the Horde to be dismantled.
They didn't butcher Kael'Thas' lore. His ending & TBC story was good.

Stormwind Human Lore is terribly underdeveloped and reduced to a few "major" characters appearing regularly.

Forsaken Paladins should be a thing and Tauren Paladins should not.

I don't want High Elves for the Alliance

WoD was generally a good expansion with decent lore, but it should have been skipped because it doesn't fit in at all... Guldan could have been revived somehow or someone could have taken his place.
10/11/2018 20:21Posted by Ashval
Wranduin is the best thing ever and that Blizzard took Wrathion out because of it shows how cowardly they are.

Anduin is a great character, he just needs a more appropriate role in the story and face actual repercussions for his actions.

Absolutely agree with you.
Saurfang isn´t a traitor... to the Horde. I agree he´s horribly written, but then again all non-Forsaken "Horde" (aka the cult of Sylvanas) races in this expansion are.

He tried to die in honourable combat, but that choice was taken from him. He just tries to recover what he thinks his Horde is. Little does he know they have all turned into mindless sheeps suffering from the "hero of Azeroth" syndrome: "just point me what I need to kill and I will do it, no questions asked", Rexxar even literally says that.

If anything, he´s a traitor to Azeroth and the Alliance, starting a war against a faction he was on a truce with based on twisted historical facts, specially in a time the world is in danger of being corrupted.
We shouldn't be the "one and only hero" or a commander or whatever, we should've been adventurers, with it not being canon that we're all the same people who killed all the previous raid bosses, rather a large amount of different people.

All this "End of the world" threats is what's bad for the game, not the faction conflict, part of why the story's messed up beyond salvaging is because this is exactly what happened, it hardly makes sense for alliance and horde to war against eachother to the point where they literally need to go good vs evil to make sense out of it.
12/11/2018 10:03Posted by Lightblade
If anything, he´s a traitor to Azeroth and the Alliance

How can you be a traitor to something one is not part of?
12/11/2018 10:54Posted by Osran
We shouldn't be the "one and only hero" or a commander or whatever, we should've been adventurers, with it not being canon that we're all the same people who killed all the previous raid bosses, rather a large amount of different people.

All this "End of the world" threats is what's bad for the game, not the faction conflict, part of why the story's messed up beyond salvaging is because this is exactly what happened, it hardly makes sense for alliance and horde to war against eachother to the point where they literally need to go good vs evil to make sense out of it.

wonderful
100% agreed
I disagree:
- that Sylvanas is a well written character;
- that the faction war is "cool" and "fun";
- that Baine would suck as a warchief;
- that Nightborne fit the Horde.

I think that:
- Worgen and Kaldorei are the most interesting races in the game;
- Genn is probably the best written character at the moment;
- Tyrande and Malfurion have a lot of potential and still I have hope they will be as awesome as they used to be;
- Anduin still can be a good king.