DPS as resto in M+

Druid
Hi

I'm looking to improve my DPS contribution in M+ and just wondered how others do it. Should I be running feral affinity?

I play mostly in pugs who are not always great at avoiding avoidable damage so I feel my windows for dps contributions are kind of small. In that context, do I just carry on with how I do it atm (guardian affinity - place dots and spam solar wrath)? My feeling is that by the time I build energy and dots as feral the mobs will either be dead or I'll have to shift out to heal anyway.

If feral aff is the way to go, do you still use moonfire and the sun dot or just use dps windows to kitty pew pew?

Hope this makes sense
:)
yes
ok
I dunno. I tried it. Wasn't terribly impressed with the results.

The DPS difference between just using sunfire and moonfire dots isn't much lower than kitty affinity.

I stopped using solar wrath, not worth the global.

Theoretically, if I played regularly with mates or guild, it might be worth it, maybe. But, in every pickup group there is always at least one novice, that needs a lot of healing.

Just my two cents.
you should really learn how to catweave. It actually improves the overall dps of the grp by alot. In the last underrot +12 i did, i had over 7k dps overall. Ofc it depends on dungeon/affixes. But if you know when people take dmg then you also know when to dps. Basically always keep moonfire and sunfire up, use rake if there are 3 or less targets, swipe if there are 4+mobs. As finisher always use rip if you know the target is gonna live for that duration if not use ferocious bite
28/10/2018 21:59Posted by Verdict
you should really learn how to catweave. It actually improves the overall dps of the grp by alot. In the last underrot +12 i did, i had over 7k dps overall. Ofc it depends on dungeon/affixes. But if you know when people take dmg then you also know when to dps. Basically always keep moonfire and sunfire up, use rake if there are 3 or less targets, swipe if there are 4+mobs. As finisher always use rip if you know the target is gonna live for that duration if not use ferocious bite

Thanks mate, I gave it a go (only in a low key) and was impressed. I added 5k dps to the group but wasn't using sunfire and moonfire so I'll add that in. I also found it quite a fun playstyle
I can do around 3k dps with just dot dmg.

Around 5-6k with catweaving.

50% is a lot, as a percentage.

50% of a little bit (total damage from the group), is not that much.

Two problems I have with catweaving--I have to get into melee range, and become vulnerable to cleave mechanics. I lose globals swapping forms. I guess, also, I have to focus doing some meaningful dps--while not becoming to focused, that I don't heal people.

maybe I need more gear to see it work better.
Tried it again, still not really into it.

Mostly spend all free seconds between pulls for drinking.

As people chain pull often, by the time I catch up to group, I am back to healing.

Seems like I barely even have time to maintain moonfire and sunfire dots, much less even switch into cat.

I haven't completely ruled, that I am just a bad player :-)

All that said, I admit guardian affinity is hardly useful with nerf to Frenzied Regen. Really only useful for 6% DMG reduction.
First of all you need to make sure you're playing the right spec outside the affinities:

Germination is usually a bad choice outside very specific dungeons: high level tyrannical temple of selth (3rd boss) will probably require you to spec into Tree and Germ and maybe Tyrannical Waycrest (sisters, otherwise you should be running CW+cult+SB+Photo/Flourish.

Secondly, you need to understand that a resto druid isn't a holy paladin -- in that sense, your party members are just fine if they're at 60-70% hp unless you're expecting party wide damage such as tatrum at crawg boss or static nova at first boss in ToS. If they take avoidable damage and die, it's up to them to avoid it or up to you to recognize that they're making a mistake and save them.

As far as DPS goes, feral affinity is king.

Rake on 3 targets (or more, if there's a priority target) and spam swipe+bite on 5CP/keep sunfire up. Same logic applies to moonfire. Don't bother ripping mobs in low keys, FB is just fine.

As far as stats are concerned, crit>haste>versa for me, and int=attack power, even in cat. Btw, you can innervate yourself or get an external boomkin innervate to spam cat abilities for free -- you could pull 13k+ dps on first boss in Underrot for example.

On high keys -- 15+ I average at 5-5.5k dps overall and I'm definitely not taking many risks. Someone above said they've done 7k overall but honestly that was probably a low key with a low healing requirement.

EDIT: I've seen streams where resto druids barely even press sunfire and time a bunch of 17 keys. If your team is playing correctly, these things don't really matter; but if you !@#$ up you can still time the key if you dps when you can. Don't risk doing more damage over saving someone until your team is 100% comfortable with strategies and mechanics
Thank you for your insight and wisdom, it really makes me think and reevaluate my play style.

I only aim for 10+, and only play with randoms. Thus, not stressing about, but if I can help my group, I want to be skilled/practiced enough to do so.

Will practice more with the pussy.
After spamming some m+ last week with randoms, I realize, it's hard enough to free globals to get sunfire dots out, much less moonfire.

Unfortunately, at the level I'm at, atm, I mostly just get bad players (of which I myself probably am as well), e.g. people still learning mechanics: 5+9. I assume it's like that around 10 as well.

Probably at 12, 13+, the players are skilled at avoiding easily avoidable dmg.

In any event, I have scrapped kitty for now.

thanks for the input.