Have some faith in Blizzard!

Classic Discussion
Let's take a moment and appreciate what Blizz is doing right now and have a little faith and good will! They listened to the community, I am sure they ll keep listen from now on and you guys just remember this is not even an alpha version, they are just happy to show us a part of their work till now. I am also sure that the ones in charge for this are investing a lot of passion in this project and it will and must end up something great!

If the classic experience will fail, it will be because of some players and that part of the community who is !@#$%ing about every single thing that they think of. They complain about graphics being a little different than the old ones (I think that the classic option from new graphics looks so good and very similar with the old ones), they complain about autoloot option (really guys, this is an historical moment and you say that your experience will be ruined because of autoloot, really?) and some are even complaining about color blind mode...

And while complaining about such incredible small changes that I don t even can call changes, they are working on addons and sites with gear score ^-*! and gear simulators for maximum efficiency in burning the content faster. (they just announced such cancer project) But they complain about autoloot and few more poligons and lights that they ll destroy their vanilla feeling...

Really...
I agreed.

And i am kinda shocked to hear people complains the color blind mode.
But yeah since the begining of wow forum, people complains about anything.

I am for surtant most of these people like to have sprinkels on ther icecream.
Nobody ever complained about colorblind mode. Only on BfA graphics that has no place in vanilla.
27/10/2018 19:03Posted by Eaglebrace

No one did. At worst they are listed as one of the changes made, but no one opposes to this one.
27/10/2018 19:04Posted by Strahnbrad
Nobody ever complained about colorblind mode. Only on BfA graphics that has no place in vanilla.

Some did... Also there are no BFA graphics, just some improved graphics that are only as an option. I really see no harm in that. Making a drama out of the fact that some ppl will have few more shadows and grass or whatever they added there, is very exagerated.
27/10/2018 19:03Posted by Eaglebrace

No one did. At worst they are listed as one of the changes made, but no one opposes to this one.

Yeah it did sound too terrible to be true but a good sign nobody hasnt then.
27/10/2018 19:10Posted by Ashiharademo
there are no BFA graphics, just some improved graphics

It's literally technologies taken from modern retail game client. I don't consider that improvement
Just a quick fact about graphics and models. Some players used back than some programs/addons, whatever they were, to change the character models. Having a gnome and seeing as a tauren is kind of huge, but what was the harm done to other players if they used this. Also the Star Treck interface from raid addons that had nothing to do with Blizzard interface, changing it completely. How did these options affect other players? It s the same with having right now an option to play with a little more advanced graphics. Some will use it, some not. Where is the harm? "...because we want no changes " is not really a smart or worthy argument...
27/10/2018 19:19Posted by Strahnbrad

It's literally technologies taken from modern retail game client. I don't consider that improvement

As they stated, they can t use the old client. They HAD to rebuild the game on a modern client. This was stated from the begining. They CAN'T bring back the old graphics exactly like they were. Understand that.
Yeah, nude mods, I remember. As long as such changes are left for mods and addons it's one thing. When they're in the core game - they affect everyone. Optional, non optional, doesn't matter. Vanilla had its options, too, and BfA graphics wasn't one of them.

"...because we want no changes " is not really a smart argument...

Nochanges is the premise. Blizzard promised to make Classic as close as possible to Vanilla. You should have some good reasons to implement any changes, in the first place, and I see none. I see only excuses like "it's optional" and "doesn't affect the gameplay".
Reasons for colorblind mode is, well, colorblind support - we all can understand that.
Reasons for widescreen improvements is modern hardware support - basic thing, necessity.
Reasons for bnet integration is modern Blizzard game architecture requirements.
Everything else seems unnecessary, for now.

27/10/2018 19:26Posted by Ashiharademo
They CAN'T bring back the old graphics exactly like they were. Understand that.

Yes I see - Classic visual option in demo doesn't look like Vanilla at all. I also see how it could be partially fixed, but I'm ok with some inaccuracies - if they at least tried. Ofc they can't use old client which applies certain limits, but they absolutely can remove BfA graphics.
Long post alert. TL:DR types are advised to do something more interesting.

Meibhin makes an interesting observation on another thread:

it mostly boils down to the feeling of desperation, Blizzard are viewed quite negatively, they haven't done a lot to earn much trust in recent years.

I'm inclined to agree. Blizzard have kind-of poisoned the well, thrown the baby out with the bathwater, screwed the pooch, dropped the ball - choose your cliche - to quite a large extent over the last eight years or so.

Examples are numerous. The utter annihilation of WoW that came with the hated Cataclysm expansion, during which almost everything many of us loved about WoW was dumbed down into oblivion. Even now, to this day - I cannot understand the decision making process that underpinned Cataclysm. When studied retrospectively and in isolation, the decision to effectively destroy the world they had created was completely insane.

Oh, I get their reasons for dumbing down the game mechanics. The new development team had a 'raiding raiding, raiding, more raiding, and nothing but raiding' mindset - and with that goal in mind they morphed the game to fit their own mental template, streamlining anything that slowed down the race to end game. The dwindling subscription numbers that followed act as a testimony to the essential folly of this decision. Could the very fact that they gave us Classic WoW also act as a tacit admittance that they may have got it wrong? Could Classic be a fresh start? The change in Blizzard leadership is significant.

But even beyond WoW questionable design decisions abound. Starcraft 2's campaign with it's endless timers, and race against the clock mechanics on every mission was basically a legitimisation of the 'RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH FAST FAST FAST FAST FAST FAST' mindset. The original incarnation of Diablo III was something of a mess, bogged down by the disastrous 'real money auction house' decision - which was later rescinded and the entire game basically re-formatted. Sure Overwatch has been successful, but it could hardly fail given the fact that it rides upon the crest of 'Battle Royale' multiplayer gaming that's currently a huge fad among young teens and pre-teens. Blizzard would have to have been asleep at the wheel to mess that one up, given it's surefire recipe for success.

Who is to blame? Activision executive meddling? Former Blizzard employees leaving and the 'B Team' doing the work in their stead? Change at the top? Who knows, and ultimately it doesn't matter.

What we do know is that some of the original team who worked on Vanilla and TBC are also working on Classic WoW. That fact alone is encouraging. The change at the top is encouraging. Finally, early reports say the demo is working like a charm.

In conclusion, I think that cautious optimism should be encouraged.
I can't have faith in Blizzard anymore. Their recent history is filled with missteps. Like I really wanted BfA to be something to do while waiting for the Classic. Many of the ideas that they promoted looked interesting but sadly the practical implementation of all of it was absolutely horrible.

The talent of old that would deliver nothing but great games is just not there anymore, even if some of the same people are. Just because they are bringing back a game from the old days doesn't mean that there isn't plenty room to mess it up. So I am hopeful, and still optimistic despite the changes, but by no means do I have faith in them.
27/10/2018 19:19Posted by Strahnbrad

Just because the modern game sucks, doesn't mean classic will be ruined by some of its graphics. Judging from the screenshots models are the same on characters, on trees,houses ,fences , some change in shrubs, also you can toggle them down and it looks pretty much like vanilla. I didn't notice any BFA models at least. Well we are gonna get to demo it soon.
27/10/2018 19:34Posted by Strahnbrad
Blizzard promised to make Classic as close as possible to Vanilla. You should have some good reasons to implement any changes, in the first place, and I see none. I see only excuses like "it's optional" and "doesn't affect the gameplay".

Clearly you didn't play vanilla with overridden settings. Many of us do, don't ruin our vanilla experience. Thx.
27/10/2018 19:19Posted by Ashiharademo
Just a quick fact about graphics and models. Some players used back than some programs/addons, whatever they were, to change the character models. Having a gnome and seeing as a tauren is kind of huge, but what was the harm done to other players if they used this. Also the Star Treck interface from raid addons that had nothing to do with Blizzard interface, changing it completely. How did these options affect other players? It s the same with having right now an option to play with a little more advanced graphics. Some will use it, some not. Where is the harm? "...because we want no changes " is not really a smart or worthy argument...
and blizzard banned people for doing it, as it changed how they viewed the world and in a world where everyone played everyone were to see the same.
27/10/2018 22:37Posted by Patejl
27/10/2018 19:34Posted by Strahnbrad
Blizzard promised to make Classic as close as possible to Vanilla. You should have some good reasons to implement any changes, in the first place, and I see none. I see only excuses like "it's optional" and "doesn't affect the gameplay".

Clearly you didn't play vanilla with overridden settings. Many of us do, don't ruin our vanilla experience. Thx.
if you're claiming you played vanilla with clear transparent water, toggle able autoloot, totalt differently rendered shadows, foliage and shaders, then you're a damn liar.

Edit: phone autocorrect
27/10/2018 22:15Posted by Kuunmaku
Just because the modern game sucks, doesn't mean classic will be ruined by some of its graphics.

It will be ruined if it will be anything but vanilla. Good features, bad features, I don't !@#$ing care, take this %^-* out. It shouldn't be another "remastered edition" and should include only necessary changes.

27/10/2018 22:59Posted by Calìdore
if you're claiming you played vanilla with clear transparent water, toggle able autoloot, totalt differently rendered shadows, foliage and shaders, then you're a damn liar.

Indeed, I don't see how it was possible to use dx11 rendering and grass physics in 2006.
And surely it will be possible to "override" settings in classic the same way as back then if it will be just like vanilla.
"remastered edition".

I just can't see whats so bad in remastered versions. You can't really go around it, the game is going to be a remastered version no matter what. It is remastered to work on new computer systems. It's not a frankenpatch it's a frankenclient. It's going to the best remaster that has ever been made in video games.
28/10/2018 00:06Posted by Kuunmaku
I just can't see whats so bad in remastered versions.

Other than them always being weird, controversial and often less popular than originals - maybe nothing. It's just not what is needed
Especially that you always can ignore some questionable remaster of a singleplayer game and lose nothing, but with WoW I guess the only alternative would be to go back to private servers.

28/10/2018 00:06Posted by Kuunmaku
It's going to the best remaster that has ever been made in video games.

It's already quite a disappointment
Other than them always being weird, controversial and often less popular than originals

Looking at this sub forum remastered games sure are controversial and a bit weird. Ofc less popular than original since people have played the game through with the first one and it's kinda of a niche to come back to a game for upgraded graphics and compabilities with modern setups, most likely fanboys.

WoW I guess the only alternative would be to go back to private servers.

If you look at a screenshot sure private servers seem like a real deal, but when you go playing in one it fades kinda quick. We can't go back to the exact same version we had 14 years ago probably ever. It would take a lot more work from Blizzard's side and from the players side to get optimal experience. Guess it boils down to few options: either you play with buggy emulators, you play remastered version or you don't play at all.