Tol Dagor - Knight Captain Valyri

Dungeons & Raids
Hi, I started doing dungeons on Mythic difficulty now, after startin 1,5 months late into the expansion.

I'm slowly learning the places, so doing Mythic 0 and trying +2's.

This one I had issue with, seems there's 4 barrels. Now my question is, does a group need to stop DPS, and push the barrels in 1 corner? If they all 4 explode in the same spot it's fine right, as long as people are outside the 20 yards radius? If not, what is the idea here?
Sorry to bump this one, but I have had some issues with this dungeon. Keep trying to finish it as a M+2, and not even getting that done.

Not saying it's all on me, but I sense people are puzzled what to do here, and just try to focus on burning the boss down, whilsts in fact, boss burns us down :-D .

Logically thinking, I would assume that all barrels need to be in the same corner? Or at least, you need to keep one corner free from this? I noticed there's a moment, where you can't get out of the mess. So if nobody in the M+ communicates, what you do? Just take care of the barrels? Or place all barrels on the same "fire area"?

Do you just assign 1 person to deal with it, like last boss in votw? There's zero communication in the tries I was in, and I want to pass it/learn from it.
Before you pull the boss you should take the barrels closest to the door outside the room. This gives you a bit more leeway to work with. Keeping all the barrels in 1 corner isn't really possible simply because it takes too much time to do it. The key to the fight is managing the Ignition cast (the small explosion circles on the ground). Ignition will be cast on random targets that could be players or barrels. If the barrels are hit by ignition they can easily start a chain reaction that covers the entire room in fire.

Players should initially position themselves away from any barrels to avoid igniting them, but if the barrels themselves are targetted by ignition, you need to move them away from the ignition.
If you assign 1 player to do all barrels you risk that player getting fuselighter debuff.

There are 4 barrels, so best to have all except tank handle 1 barrel. So each quadrant has 1 barrel with a player assigned. They have to move the barrel when needed and watch if the boss is facing their barrel and is about to cast cinderflame.

Removing the barrels at the start of the fight is pointless and only makes it harder.
Ah oki, so basically put a barrel in each corner?

Stop DPS during a moment where that needs to happen right? Best place is just put them in a corner right? With 20 yards I think when one barrle blows, the others won't be effected?

Cheers for the feedback. So this boss requires some communication, in the 3-4 tries I did this week, that didn't happen which ended badly. First tries I was still puzzled about the actual mechanics myself, I first have to see it, before it makes sense to me (so vids are helpful, but in practise it works better).
As a healer, I find that there´s very little to heal on this fight (People either avoid, or blow up instantly). As such I have a lot of time to spent on moving the barrels, and that's my primary focus on the fight. If the healer does well, and one DPS helps out, it should be fine and you shouldn't drop DPS on the boss too much more.
While there are plenty of ways for the barrels to explode, they're all delayed and really telegraphed / visible. Key is to not move the barrels too much; there's no reason to drag them across the room. If you can group them up, that's great. But quickly picking them up and dropping them just outside of the abilities that trigger them should be enough. The goal is to make sure one corner is safe where people can stand on, the rest of the room doesn't matter much (this doesn't have to be the same corner every time, it depends how the barrels drop).

The only dangerous thing is Cinderflame (boss faces a direction and casts a conical fire). Unless you can quickly pickup and go, it's best to let the barrels in this area be, since the Cinderflame does a lot of damage if you get hit by it.

In summary: Don't move one barrel more than you need to, you wont have time for the rest. That's the entire fight: if barrels are managed well the boss does nothing, if left unchecked it turns into a mess.
You dont have to put them in a particular corner, just the oposite side. And even then it isn't always requiered, keep your eyes open and if you get a barrel that's right next to your group you move it. Or you can just run away to a spot that has no barrel.

It's a dynamic fight there's no written rule. Sometimes you can just jump between corners of the room and never have to move any. If you get caught in the AoE you can always use externals and defensives to survive.
If you put barrels(when they spawn again) to the closest wall of room. Thats enough in my opinion. After that Move the barrel in ignition circle, move the barrel just in front of boss while boss casting cinderflame. Ignore other barrels if they explode run out of explosion circle. While running if you see any new barrels just at the edge of circle, move them out to your hiding spot,so that they wont start explode after first big circle bomb goes off. I did +11 fortified, +9 tyrannical with this tact
Cheers for all the tips, before trying higher keys I wanna get to know this boss better. M0 isn't worth it for me, since the boss dies so fast.

Trying +2 keys now, at my current ilvl I should be able to learn the dungeons. So far I have most problems with this boss. But not doing all 8 (haven't unlocked the last 2 dungeons yet) at the same time. But there's no point for me to join higher keys if I don't know the dungeons that well yet.

Gonna try another TD+2 today :-).

P.S. I normally play elemental, just tried to join a +2 as resto yesterday late, but not successful there :-).
30/10/2018 12:20Posted by Lagemas
If you put barrels(when they spawn again) to the closest wall of room. Thats enough in my opinion.

Yeah, this is what we do. Move them to the closest wall, when one is targeted you have a free side of the room to stand on, and they don't ignite the other sides.
29/10/2018 09:34Posted by Kudir
Hi, I started doing dungeons on Mythic difficulty now, after startin 1,5 months late into the expansion.

I'm slowly learning the places, so doing Mythic 0 and trying +2's.

This one I had issue with, seems there's 4 barrels. Now my question is, does a group need to stop DPS, and push the barrels in 1 corner? If they all 4 explode in the same spot it's fine right, as long as people are outside the 20 yards radius? If not, what is the idea here?

Here's how we did our +14 TD, failed the +15 TD and how streamers who are in the MDI do it:

You put them in a corner that's somewhat decided by the first guy to move the barrel after each burst. You should always put barrels in the corner that you made put his, way easier that way.

Also, even on tyrannical, you can take 1 barrel with defensives, on non-tyrannical, maybe 2, depending on what you pop on yourself, so don't get too worried.

ALSO, DO NOT PULL THE FIRST 2 BARRELS OUT. She can hit them from the outside and explode and you're RIP 100%. Maybe. Don't take the risk.