Is gear the reason I lose?

Arenas
I'm having trouble winning 2v2's with my assa rogue friend we just started playing and are right now 1350 cr. But we are stuck right now and I don't think it is because of skill people at this rating are so bad that they trinket the first cyclone I use. After healers trinket is down I use mighty bash and two cyclones which is about 13 sec stun but my friend (340 ilvl) with all cds popped cant even get past 50% hp on enemy dps and sure enough when i check their max hp its 165k which means very good gear.

So I was wondering are we losing because we are doing something wrong or should we gear to 370 doing pve content and only then do arenas?
no its not gear issue. 10ilvl on average is like 1% statincrease just as in legion and traits can play a small/bigger role depending on what specc you play. but yes you are definitely doing something wrong if you cant get past 1300.

and no best way to gear is through arena and then do pve
29/10/2018 14:42Posted by Calek
no its not gear issue. 10ilvl on average is like 1% statincrease just as in legion

Source?
I thought templetes are gone
no its not gear issue. 10ilvl on average is like 1% statincrease just as in legion and traits can play a small/bigger role depending on what specc you play. but yes you are definitely doing something wrong if you cant get past 1300.

so untrue, the difference between 20 ilvls is pretty big now
my shammy is has about 118k hp around 350 ilevel and at 1500 we face other resto shammys with around 140k hp. gear could be the issue we certainly struggle with it
Gear absolutely helps, but if you become good at chaining cc, you will be able to lock down an opponent for far longer than 13 seconds.

It's not only your job to CC, your rogue friend should be able to follow up with some CC aswell and even if you dont lock down your kill in one go, you flip the cyclone to the kill target.

A cycloned target can't receive healing, which will give you about 10 seconds time to restealth and setup a 2nd go.

An ilvl 340 rogue should be able to deal significantly more damage than your friend is doing in 13 seconds, especially if he uses cooldowns.
29/10/2018 15:06Posted by Wizgub
my shammy is has about 118k hp around 350 ilevel and at 1500 we face other resto shammys with around 140k hp. gear could be the issue we certainly struggle with it

gear makes a difference but not as big as you all think

i had no problems getting to 1.8 for the tmog with 33X gear
I played with my friend on my alt and their green disc to 1900mmr. Its you two.
Nah its not a gear thing, I've geared 2 alts purely through pvp and I don't think my mmr has been less than ~1700 even at first hitting 120... Including a mage leveled entirely through islands wearing boosted 110 gear and 2 280 azerite pieces. Oh and an agility staff because I'm a genius and didn't notice it didn't have intellect on.

You're doing something wrong, you'd have to give more info to pin point what it is though. Maybe your rogue just doesn't know how to deal his damage properly. Or maybe you don't know how to heal properly.
29/10/2018 15:06Posted by Wizgub

Gear is not really the issue HP-wise, weird enough it is with your Secondaries. I recently learned your dmg scales accordingly to your stats and the enemy's. For example if you have 5k agi and the enemy has 4k agi you will hit 10k on your enemy, he will see it as 8k incoming dmg instead.

It's a really dumb and overcomplicated system, but i see the reason why they did this. You can in no way make secondaries scale also thru this system (casting time/flat dmg increase/reduction(mastery/versa)), but at the same time it makes your current gear matter in PvE with the stats you pick and that's what we lacked in Legion(you just took the Highest Ilvl regardless of secondaries).

I mean imo there was nothing wrong with the legion templates and it's scaling with Ilvl, we just needed some customizability in stats. I mean why fix something that wasn't really broken and hard to understand? I mean the same thing goes for traits.... Blizzard keeps trying to reinvent the wheel and imo they should just improve on systems that have proven themselves.

The best solution imo is bring back legion templates and add a slider option in the pvp panel for Secondaries. Make the sliders work with flat numbers (scale with ilvl) for Crit/Haste/Mastery/Vers, so that for example you can shift 100 mastery to 100 vers and vice versa without reaching ridiculous percentages. This way they can still balance the values each point of secondary gives in percentages. This way it makes it accessible and easy to understand for any player.

The current system gives me a headache when i think about it. I mean PvE players complain about azerite traits, we have a whole lot more to complain about. Currently the game truely feels like "World of Warcraft: Beta for Azeroth" if i have to place it bluntly. It's time to Make Azeroth Great Again blizzard....
You're mate should do a blind/sap go, especially if they trinket the first cyclone as you say. You can prolong it with some dr cyclones and a bash if you have it off cd.

As a rdruid you can also cyclone the kill target low when cc's are off enemy healer and your mate have their stun on cd. Rogue can do some quick swap and deal some damage to the enemy healer if possible then. It prolongs the pressure.
As others stated, no it's not the gear. You and your rogue friend need to keep practicing and set up good cc chains to climb.
Also watch some high rated players playing your speccs, and look at how they play. You will probly pick up a tip or two, and try to apply this to your games.
Gear is scaled. I started playing arena on this priest with ilvl 298 and reached 1800cr with ilvl 325. I noticed with low gear i did more damage than now.
The reason you struggles is because you are playing overnerfed spec. If you play holy paladin or disc priest you could be at 1500 cr right now instead of 1300 with rdruid.

Yeah, that's bs. I defenitely noticed the increase in my gear on my resto shammy. A 1% increase my !@#
I agree its many things, but resto druids are not the best arena healer ATM, by far.

You have to play really, really well to get good results.

I know its 3s, but in the current arena championship, two if the worlds greatest druids (Looney and Boetar--two time world champion), didn't even play druid in a single match. Boetar, in particular, played three different healers (monk, priest, shaman), and didn't look comfortable, e.g. didn't play his usual god-mode like restoration druid. They lost all three matches! Even in desperation, he didn't fall back to druid!

That should tell you all you need to know about resto druids.
30/10/2018 06:53Posted by Jalisco
I agree its many things, but resto druids are not the best arena healer ATM, by far.

You have to play really, really well to get good results.

I know its 3s, but in the current arena championship, two if the worlds greatest druids (Looney and Boetar--two time world champion), didn't even play druid in a single match. Boetar, in particular, played three different healers (monk, priest, shaman), and didn't look comfortable, e.g. didn't play his usual god-mode like restoration druid. They lost all three matches! Even in desperation, he didn't fall back to druid!

That should tell you all you need to know about resto druids.

Exactly, this is the main reason topic strater have problems climbing ladder.
It is not possible to climb ladder right now as resto druid for new player. With current state of resto druid to get 1.6 cr you need to be 2k rated player, to get 2k on resto druid you need to be 2.4 rated player.

I would recommend to reroll holy paladin ot mw monk.
29/10/2018 14:39Posted by Natureturtle
I'm having trouble winning 2v2's with my assa rogue friend we just started playing and are right now 1350 cr. But we are stuck right now and I don't think it is because of skill people at this rating are so bad that they trinket the first cyclone I use. After healers trinket is down I use mighty bash and two cyclones which is about 13 sec stun but my friend (340 ilvl) with all cds popped cant even get past 50% hp on enemy dps and sure enough when i check their max hp its 165k which means very good gear.

So I was wondering are we losing because we are doing something wrong or should we gear to 370 doing pve content and only then do arenas?

Gear can be the issue but not in your case. I got 1600 in 2s last week with 320 ilvl Rshaman while I was at 345 ilvl destro lock.
Traits are very important for some specs. Not sure how ilvl scaling works.(nobody know that)