How long until microtransactions are everywhere ?

General
31/10/2018 12:45Posted by Bubasparks
F2P announcement on this Blizzcon incoming and with it new micro transaction items in store added ))) I will not be surprised ))

When its been leaked already that classic needs to be paid for per month lol
31/10/2018 14:28Posted by Sulaa
31/10/2018 12:45Posted by Bubasparks
F2P announcement on this Blizzcon incoming and with it new micro transaction items in store added ))) I will not be surprised ))

When its been leaked already that classic needs to be paid for per month lol

looks like i wont be playing it then .. no way i will pay a active sub for 15 year old game. xD people who will are the reason blizzard get away with so much bull!@#$ xD
One of the major reasons why Blizzard games are thriving is the fact that their online shop is not as scummy as the ones from other companies. They would be retarded to do that from a business PoV. Especially because if they turn away their last WoW subs their main income will be gone.

31/10/2018 14:32Posted by Pixelbear
looks like i wont be playing it then .. no way i will pay a active sub for 15 year old game. xD people who will are the reason blizzard get away with so much bull!@#$ xD

Whats been "leaked" is that you pay 6 or so euros for Classic only or 13 for both live and classic as per usual. As usual people ranting over stuff they have no idea about because of all the wonky information out there.

If blizzard is doing an extra sub then frankly none would play it. None who isnt using the Tokens for subscription right now.

Which brings me to another point: Nagging about Money and the Shop while you can buy EVERYTHING in EVERY game from blizzard via ingame farmed Gold for a price that is absolutely laughable.
activi$ion
I cant see it going f2p, theres a reason why it hasnt gone f2p and that is because there are still millions of players willing to pay 8.99/7.99/6.99 per month. even if they only have 1 mil paying subs atm (which im pritty sure they have more) thats £6,990,000 per month MIN inc revenue on 1 game, they will never go free to play if they are making millions per month just from subs alone, oh and guess what those that pay with gold still count possibly more so infact you could double the amount of money they earn from somone buying a token on the ah due to somone else paying £15? For that token. It would be an absolutly abismal bussiness choice to go f2p when they are making that much money from this system, it will not pay them to go f2p.
31/10/2018 12:54Posted by Manados
So i'm not saying wow would ever go f2p but if they did , it certainly wouldn't hurt them. I think it would be the reverse effect : / sadly.

Not sure it will be in the long term. Lots of other games that went the f2p micromanagement route, have closed shop.
31/10/2018 16:41Posted by Heymom
31/10/2018 12:54Posted by Manados
So i'm not saying wow would ever go f2p but if they did , it certainly wouldn't hurt them. I think it would be the reverse effect : / sadly.

Not sure it will be in the long term. Lots of other games that went the f2p micromanagement route, have closed shop.

i think that is more related to mismanagement than not being good games ..

if players don't enjoy something they tend to move on to another game which they do enjoy, mmorpg's is a ageing genre now.. the die hard's which were about when it started will be in their 30's/40's now most of them would have moved on to other better things in life.. if mmorpgs want to continue into the foreseeable future i feel like there needs to be a massive rework to revitalise the genre..

we players are a fickle lot, 15 years without much change and innovation is a long time to keep people interested. i'd be amazed if they somehow manage to limp to 20 years without bringing out a new game.

myself personally i am 33 years old now .. and played mmorpgs since i was 19.. the population is ageing and companies need to realise they got to start treating us as adults if they want to stay successful.
people who will are the reason blizzard get away with so much bull!@#$ xD

Maybe that bull!@#$ is enjoyable to them? Try to wrap your head around that, best of luck.
31/10/2018 16:59Posted by Thedice
people who will are the reason blizzard get away with so much bull!@#$ xD

Maybe that bull!@#$ is enjoyable to them? Try to wrap your head around that, best of luck.

that's fair if they find it enjoyable doesn't mean they are not getting played though.
31/10/2018 17:05Posted by Pixelbear
that's fair if they find it enjoyable doesn't mean they are not getting played though.

That's kinda how the world works. We have urges and other people are constantly praying on them. Making quality video game is just another way of playing the customer. Quality is subjective.

It's fine being played if you get what you want out of it, that's how contracts work.
31/10/2018 13:00Posted by Jurgenhan
I see nothing wrong with having a game store where you can purchase mounts, pets, or vanity items. If you do not want these items, then do not buy them. Remember that end of the day WOW has to make money and remain profitable or the game will go.

This !
31/10/2018 12:38Posted by Manados
Article from 2010 " Demand for Blizzard's latest virtual items - the Celestial Steed mount and the Lil'XT Pet - has reached unprecedented levels, with queues of 140,000 people forming within hours of the items going on sale.

The two items were released on April 15, with the Celestial Steed selling for $25 on the US Blizzard Store and £17 in the UK.

Within three hours of their release, the queue for the Celestial Steed was seven hours long, according to wow.com, with a 140,000-strong queue worth $3.5 million for the one item alone."

At the time the community was annoyed , annoyed and confused as to why. They paid subs , everything was in earned in game. I was there at the time scratching my head thinking this " store mount" was a fake post by a hater. Then it happened...

Over the years we got more mounts and more pets , and we all had to put in the back of our minds " well it doesn't make other players any stronger or level up faster. " #dealwithit

But i am seeing the future of this game , i'm seeing Blizz store currency. Buy experience potions , pay 10 euros and get your weekly bonus roll tokens capped. More time limited cosmetics or like Overwatch has , seasonal only cosmetics.

We will log into WoW on Hallow's end , the store will greet us " limited time , buy your witch set and permanent broom mount , offer ends on the 31st of Oct"

I wish i could say: No Blizz wouldn't do that to their game. I wish i could say the community believes that would never happen.

Be honest though ? Who here truly believes Blizz would never go down that direction ? I feel it's not an " IF " but " when". That scares me and makes me sad at the time =[

Thanks for reading.

3-5 years.
31/10/2018 12:44Posted by Manados
31/10/2018 12:42Posted by Tormentae
Well they haven't since 2010 why now?

They didn't back then because 12 millions subs. I have no idea how many subs there are because Blizz won't tell us anymore but i sure as hell can tell you it ain't 12 million , or 10 or even 8 million.

I don't even think there is 5 million.

They don't have as many lemons to juice anymore.

Check up on the financials. Those lemons are giving much more juice.
How long until microtransactions are everywhere?

When WoW inevitably gets ported to console.
in a few years, wow will become free to play.

tons of micro transaction sets and stuff to follow.
the worse thing about micro transactions in games is the stuff on the paid market always looks waaaaay cooler then the stuff in the game , if this ever did happen .. you can basically kiss goodbye to raiding. as all the cool looking items will be on the cash shop xD
Ultima Online, once the biggest MMO out there (1997-2002 ish), is still going. That one still has a montly sub attached to it.
When a game is THAT old, those who're still paying for it are those who genuinely like the game, which in turn (in my opinion) leads to a better community.

I find it likely for WoW to follow that model.
01/11/2018 08:08Posted by Galander
Ultima Online, once the biggest MMO out there (1997-2002 ish), is still going. That one still has a montly sub attached to it.
When a game is THAT old, those who're still paying for it are those who genuinely like the game, which in turn (in my opinion) leads to a better community.

I find it likely for WoW to follow that model.

Old/classic WoW could follow that model, don't think modern WoW can do that.
31/10/2018 16:52Posted by Pixelbear
31/10/2018 16:41Posted by Heymom

i think that is more related to mismanagement than not being good games ..

if players don't enjoy something they tend to move on to another game which they do enjoy, mmorpg's is a ageing genre now.. the die hard's which were about when it started will be in their 30's/40's now most of them would have moved on to other better things in life.. if mmorpgs want to continue into the foreseeable future i feel like there needs to be a massive rework to revitalise the genre..

we players are a fickle lot, 15 years without much change and innovation is a long time to keep people interested. i'd be amazed if they somehow manage to limp to 20 years without bringing out a new game.

myself personally i am 33 years old now .. and played mmorpgs since i was 19.. the population is ageing and companies need to realise they got to start treating us as adults if they want to stay successful.

I myself am 43 now, and i started playing eve online back in 2006 and jumped the wow wagon later on. Personally i dont find WoW interesting anymore, i stay because of the work i have put into the account, mainly collecting stuff. How long i wills stay, depends on what comes on the market gaming wise, if something more interesting comes along, i will be moving.
And i think a lot of other people will be moving as well, or just give up on the genre as a total.
Blizzard is going a wrong route imho, if they want the kids to play esports, focus on games around that, dont try to turn WoW into it.
But i figure we are about 2m subs left, and we all have our own definition of how and what WoW should be. So lets just sit back and watch blizzard burn it, since they clearly dont want to go in the way the "players" way.
never bought anything with rl money apart from subs and the releases. subs are now paid with gold.
Never will buy anything for real life money, because this is just a computer game.

If they go free to play, im off to swotr and wont look back .. and that's precisely why they wont go free to play.