BlizzCon 2018 Thread

Argent Dawn
Prev 1 7 8 9 18 Next
Diablo was dead.

Then they dug up the corpse and sold it to a Chinese mobile game studio? And the game looks a LOT like those crappy Dungeon Hunter games?

Oh lawd.

Then there wast he QnA. Where every answer was "We're excited to bring Diablo to mobile" and "It's too early to answer that". Then there was that April Fools question... then the crowd booing repeatedly.

I have NEVER heard booing at Blizzcon that wans't a Horde V Alliance jest.

And here I was getting grumpy over HotS getting Annie from League of Legends (Gotta draw in the loli anime fans I guess?) instead of an existing Blizzard character people actually want and care about. Then they drop -this-. Ouch.

Aside from WC3 there was very little I can feel positive about today... hoping we see something good at the What's Next panel.
02/11/2018 21:47Posted by Terrasen
Destiny? Pfft, play Warframe instead, much better.

While I will say that Warframe is a pretty good game, I wouldn't quickly go to bat for it at a given opportunity. It has a few quirks that really degrade the enjoyment that I could be having out of it.

02/11/2018 21:50Posted by Tonnek
They will be. Check the last few comments of this thread's page 6.

Huh, really? There are some conflicting reports about it though. On one thread I see they aren't gonna be a thing, and now you tell me that they are going to be there? Hmm...

Edit: Just read the posts, and they certainly seem to be there. That's good!

02/11/2018 21:54Posted by Elenthas
From the character origin vid, Bob looks to be her omnic butler servant. The Alfred to her Batman

To be fair, Bob certainly does look like a butlery type of Omnic. I guess the dynamic that was on show made it look more than just a Alfred-Batman relationship.

I still am gonna do a Farnsworth and call it heinous robosexuality.
I feel genuinely sorry for the Diablo devs on stage. No doubt they weren't expecting such negativity for the game (which is well deserved imo) but man they got a harsh treatment.
02/11/2018 22:01Posted by Montero
I feel genuinely sorry for the Diablo devs on stage. No doubt they weren't expecting such negativity for the game (which is well deserved imo) but man they got a harsh treatment.

Blizzard have certainly taken a knock from their pedestal tbh.
02/11/2018 22:03Posted by Aerilen
02/11/2018 22:01Posted by Montero

Blizzard have certainly taken a knock from their pedestal tbh.

Good. They don't deserve the pedestal anymore. Maybe this will slap them back to reality.
Definitely gonna pass Diablo for mobile. I would definitely have preferred it on PC.
I agree with a lot of the pedestal stuff. Blizzard can pretty easily insulate themselves from Reddit subforums, MMO-Champ, WoWhead, the WoW forums, etc. It's harder to do that when your fanbase are a few feet away. A little humility would go a long way - the playerbase can be exceedingly understanding if you can admit to a mistake.
For all J Allen Brack's rhetoric about 'forward' and the future, this was perhaps the most backwards looking Blizzcon opening ceremony yet.

Real lack of new ideas on display across the board. Very disappointing.
02/11/2018 22:07Posted by Uruk
Good. They don't deserve the pedestal anymore. Maybe this will slap them back to reality.

Preach.

They've gotten condescending, arrogant and egotistic. I don't want to see them fall into the pit that follows, because if they do, there's no rising from it.
I don't want to see the company bringing me some of the best times of my life end like that.

Edit:
02/11/2018 22:10Posted by Raes
the playerbase can be exceedingly understanding if you can admit to a mistake.

Also this. So long as you do something to fix your mistakes, too.
Problem is, the US mentality is to be proud and arrogant. If you want to succeed, you need to be strong and never admit your mistakes. And that mentality is what keeps alienating US dev studios from their audience.
Why is there so much hate on mobile games (in general)? I mean if it wouldn't sell they would not do it. So there has to be people who like mobile games and probably Diablo Mobile.
No zandalari warlock *cries in demoniac*

Also poor Diablo fans :( You deserve much better
02/11/2018 22:15Posted by Crárg
Why is there so much hate on mobile games (in general)? I mean if it wouldn't sell they would not do it. So there has to be people who like mobile games and probably Diablo Mobile.

Mobile games are fine, but this one is pretty creatively bankrupt, tbh.
It's out-sourced, it's a clone of similar stuff already, etc.
If it had been a more honest endeavour I'm sure people would have received it better.
Why is there so much hate on mobile games (in general)?

I think it's because most are pay-to-win, timegated, battery-devouring things, made for playing at the bus stop, waiting for a meal in a restaurant, or 'sitting down'. With the exceptions of Snake and Angry Birds, I politely and gentlemanly challenge you to name for me a classic of the mobile game genre.

In my personal opinion, Diablo and Mobile is a match made in heaven (or hell, rather). Diablo's gameplay has pretty much perfected the minute-to-minute endorphine driven play where shiny loot and big numbers are a constant driving force. Mobile gaming has largely developed as a result of Diablo's design philosophy, action and reward.

How much Blizzard decides to monetise it is another thing entirely. Mobile games get a bad reputation for that kind of empty, addictive gameplay, but when paired with predatory monetisation it can lead to some dite consequences.

Diablo 1 and 2 have a really solid atmosphere and the writing wasn't completely terrible, credit where credit is due. Personally, I think Diablo 3 was more of a disaster than this mobile game. 3 was a mainline entry in the series and the story doesn't bear thinking about. In comparison, Immortal is just a shameless spinoff. The real injury isn't to Diablo, it's to Blizzard's reputation for creating compelling gaming experiences. This one smacks of disposable gaming.
It's because most are pay-to-win, timegated, battery-devouring things, made for playing at the bus stop, waiting for a meal in a restaurant, or sitting down. With the exceptions of Snake and Angry Birds, I politely and gentlemanly challenge you to name for me a classic mobile game.

Harry Potter mobile game anyone? Where you have to pay to get a kid free from being strangled by devil's snare?

Because it was presented like something big and worthy of hype while most people expected a Diablo 4 or at least a Diablo 2 remaster announcement. I'd not mind it if they said "Oh by the way we got a mobile game for Diablo, so get it if you like" 15 minutes before Blizzcon ends.
With the exception of Snake and Angry Birds, I politely challenge you to name a classic mobile game.

I remember playing some games that were pretty good... I think Gameloft was behind them, or however the developer's name was.

There was an Action RPG series on phones that wasn't half bad. Can't remember the name though.

But that was a long time ago.
02/11/2018 22:18Posted by Zethlanis
No zandalari warlock *cries in demoniac*

Oh, I just noticed that. Oh, now I'm sad again.

Because:

1) Action games on mobile play like !@#. There is no exception to this. Touch screens are garbage for any kind of real time action.

2) It's being (allegedly) outsourced to a Chinese company, it's not developed in-house. That makes me worry about whatever quality it might have.

3) Combining the above, it'll probably be filled with garbage transactions.

"You can revive after this advertisement..."

"Pay $5 for a loot chest!"
The biggest issue with Diablo was that it was the thing they ENDED the opening ceremony with. That should have been put somewhere in the middle of the show.

Also people obviously are not happy about not getting Diablo 4.