Forum Overhaul now more PR&Shilling friendly

General
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
12/11/2018 14:53Posted by Uruk
12/11/2018 14:52Posted by Danellos

Yes.

How?

you have to convince Lswindrunner that Sylvanas is not always right.
I wonder, if trust level 3 is forever out of my reach.

I once got banned for 3 days for something that blizz apparently considered trolling. It was indeed slightly agressive tone due to the topic, but I never intended to troll or flame bait.

I'm reading these forums every day and I try not troll post. Yet, I have been banned a single time for something I did not even think was ban worthy. Whether it was or not is everyones opinion, I think. Thats not the point here, though. What I'm interested in is that does "offence history" ever get old?

Sometimes saying my opinion on matters can get people angry and I assume someone reported me. Hence, I think this could lead to people being discouraged to speak their opinions, which I think is against the idea of these forums.
Just give us forum functionality and none of the social media-type crap.

This.
12/11/2018 15:27Posted by Shopkeeper

This.

Bang on. If I wanted twatterbook id use them instead of the forums..

This.

Agreed. I'm not one to be inflammatory and I've never been banned. I also probably manage most of the stuff required in the "trust levels" thing as is (I get bored fairly often :p).. But I don't think it should be "forced" or rewarded with greater functionality. Personally hate forums like that, it's not a popularity contest or your own personal blog it's a forum for discussion and it completely puts me off contributing or even reading entirely... I have nothing to "prove" and it just opens it up to so much "abuse". Also don't like having to scroll through 400 emojis and pictures to get to something of substance, what's wrong with simplicity?

This.

I hope it too
Lets see. But i fear this opinion it would be ignored...
12/11/2018 14:58Posted by Someoneelse
12/11/2018 14:51Posted by Nefaryas
See positively contribute could simply mean those that dont flame, troll, abuse other users (pixelbear shhh lol jk) disrupt and otherwise break forum rules.

But you have to see it as blizzards attempt to "silence" the masses. More people get upvote for negative yet constructive posts than they do if they post something like "blizzard are awesome and bfa is the best expansion ever" so the negative yet constructive poster would earn the trust levels quicker. The flamers and trolls would not earn them at all hopefully so would be around less making the forums more pleasant.

Unless of course you believe blizzard will somehow make sure only those who speak well of the game get the upvotes?

The problem with that is if you contribute to a brain dead but popular topic like fire X Blizzard employee it gets mass upvoted so get a higher score.

If you make a reasonable post it gets down voted.

These features will be abused and should be disabled.

12/11/2018 14:53Posted by Uruk
How?

Same way as ever. Crawling up to Blizzard while pretending you dont.

Oh no doubt it will get abused, just like the report function available now gets abused and the report function in game gets abused.

Your seeing it from the perspective of a forum user so very valid (and constructive) point, blizzard see it from a forum creator perspective so don't really counter in the abuse of the functions available in the way you/we do. It does however still stand that more people dislike the game right now so their negative feedback will be more popular than the positive, you can see that already, and that the flamers and trolls will be most affected by the limitations set in place.

I'm not saying it's a good change either, I like the forums as they are now as they are easy to navigate on my phone and I'm not sure if that will be true with the new forum and I don't like the idea of the scrolling instead of pages. I will reserve judgement until it happens though as me not liking it isn't gonna stop it happening anyway lol.
I wonder how long it will take blizzard to figure out level 4 trust people will just get mass reported by trolls simply to grief them.
This might be a good thing to prevent people who never posted before from coming to the forum in a rage to post 5 threads in caps lock about the same topic, asking for nerfs, crying about OP class, etc.
New Forum. Hmm...

That means the post counter gets reset to zero.

The posting race is on....!

12/11/2018 16:43Posted by Jito
That means the post counter gets reset to zero.

If I could post .GIF's right now there would be a Darth Vader NooooooO!!! meme here.
Somewhat creepy reading posts is tracked. Is this new or have they always been doing it?
To the people saying flagging is bad: You can already be reported and suspended if you get many reports. With the new system you would get flagged by somewhat more trustworthy posters. I think it's good.
It's kinda telling if you have an issue with a system that rewards good behavior. :)
Thinking it over the read X number of comments is trivially easy to cheese just use the mouse wheel click to activate autoscroll and set it so that it scrolls slowly down a huge thread while you go afk and acctually do something productive and worthwhile...
12/11/2018 16:46Posted by Eulalia
Somewhat creepy reading posts is tracked. Is this new or have they always been doing it?

it problably has been tracked for a very long time
12/11/2018 16:32Posted by Nefaryas
It does however still stand that more people dislike the game right now so their negative feedback will be more popular than the positive, you can see that already, and that the flamers and trolls will be most affected by the limitations set in place.

There's no evidence of that most people hate it. This stuff on the forums has always been here but people seem to forget that. MoP had a torrent of it much worse but now it's the best expansion ever.

12/11/2018 16:36Posted by Miraine
I wonder how long it will take blizzard to figure out level 4 trust people will just get mass reported by trolls simply to grief them.

Level 4 people probably will be the trolls.

It's a ridiculously stupid system.
12/11/2018 16:46Posted by Eulalia

every single page with google analytics has this
you think basic web statistics are creepy? oh boi...
12/11/2018 17:58Posted by Someoneelse
12/11/2018 16:32Posted by Nefaryas
It does however still stand that more people dislike the game right now so their negative feedback will be more popular than the positive, you can see that already, and that the flamers and trolls will be most affected by the limitations set in place.

There's no evidence of that most people hate it. This stuff on the forums has always been here but people seem to forget that. MoP had a torrent of it much worse but now it's the best expansion ever.

12/11/2018 16:36Posted by Miraine

1) I said dislike not hate.

2) we are talking the forum population not whole game population. It would be pointless to discuss the forums in regards to whole game population when something like less than 2% of the game population uses the forums.

Just take a look at the threads over the past couple of months, anyone who makes a positive thread or post gets shot down and belittled on a far grander scale than those who make negative constructive (discounting the flaming wah blizz sucks sweary rants) threads and posts.

In regards to people thinking that this is blizzards attempt to "silence" the negative I say they are wrong simply because they are misconstruing the meaning of "positive contributions"

More forum users are on the negative side than the positive side so the negative side will be up voted more and will earn the trust levels quicker. Yes there is room for misuse as there is now, that can't be helped, yet the ones who can misuse it have to first earn the ability too.
12/11/2018 18:18Posted by Nefaryas
12/11/2018 17:58Posted by Someoneelse

1) I said dislike not hate.

2) we are talking the forum population not whole game population. It would be pointless to discuss the forums in regards to whole game population when something like less than 2% of the game population uses the forums.

Just take a look at the threads over the past couple of months, anyone who makes a positive thread or post gets shot down and belittled on a far grander scale than those who make negative constructive (discounting the flaming wah blizz sucks sweary rants) threads and posts.

In regards to people thinking that this is blizzards attempt to "silence" the negative I say they are wrong simply because they are misconstruing the meaning of "positive contributions"

More forum users are on the negative side than the positive side so the negative side will be up voted more and will earn the trust levels quicker. Yes there is room for misuse as there is now, that can't be helped, yet the ones who can misuse it have to first earn the ability too.

It's not difficult to cheese a system like that, just post things you know people will up vote. Kinda a lot of my issue with it, makes it less about what you're posting, whether constructive or not and more about a popularity contest. That and the inclusion of embedded images etc, hate that crap, no desire to scroll through endless memes on a discussion forum.