Forum Overhaul now more PR&Shilling friendly

General
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
12/11/2018 18:12Posted by Elcowerino
12/11/2018 16:46Posted by Eulalia
Somewhat creepy reading posts is tracked. Is this new or have they always been doing it?

every single page with google analytics has this
you think basic web statistics are creepy? oh boi...
but how do they know if im actually reading the post(s) and not just scrolling trough the pages randomly? :D
12/11/2018 16:43Posted by Jito
New Forum. Hmm...

That means the post counter gets reset to zero.

The posting race is on....!

There's no race. I'll blow you all out of the water you casuals! Muahahahahaha!
12/11/2018 17:28Posted by Poly
It's kinda telling if you have an issue with a system that rewards good behavior. :)

I think it’s even more telling when your opinion can be bought/influenced not by an opposing argument but by rewards.

Good behaviour is abiding by the rules (ToS), what you post within that parameter is irrelevant, it’s opinion based, rules/system should never influence your opinion.
13/11/2018 09:05Posted by Canabal
12/11/2018 17:28Posted by Poly
It's kinda telling if you have an issue with a system that rewards good behavior. :)

I think it’s even more telling when your opinion can be bought/influenced not by an opposing argument but by rewards.

Good behaviour is abiding by the rules (ToS), what you post within that parameter is irrelevant, it’s opinion based, rules/system should never influence your opinion.

Who's opinion would be bought or influenced with rewards? Sounds a bit tinfoily to me.

What you describe as good behavior is exactly what I meant with good behavior.
12/11/2018 14:36Posted by Zetioun
Can't wait for shills to be mass false flag threads

The more you shill the more benefits you get.

since all shills will be mass reported.

So you've found a word you love and you want to share it with the world.

Congratulations.

Unfortunately, repetition here doesn't enhance your argument one jot.

Accusing pretty much anyone who's not you, of;
being liars, being unreliable, being Activision employees, posting fake positives,
is frankly offensive and makes me wonder whether you are a counter-shill operative, using reverse psychology to disseminate chaos.

Either way, it's offensive to any player that posts on the forum.
13/11/2018 10:22Posted by Fluxache
Can't wait for shills to be mass false flag threads

The more you shill the more benefits you get.

since all shills will be mass reported.

So you've found a word you love and you want to share it with the world.

Congratulations.

Unfortunately, repetition here doesn't enhance your argument one jot.

Accusing pretty much anyone who's not you, of;
being liars, being unreliable, being Activision employees, posting fake positives,
is frankly offensive and makes me wonder whether you are a counter-shill operative, using reverse psychology to disseminate chaos.

Either way, it's offensive to any player that posts on the forum.

Activision shill pls leave :P
13/11/2018 09:59Posted by Poly
What you describe as good behavior is exactly what I meant with good behavior.

If that’s the case, tell me what’s the reasoning behind rewarding someone for not behaving badly.

Eg. If in an arena tournament the Rules states that you’re not allowed to use addons and you don’t use them, you shouldn’t be rewarded for that.

And before you get confused, remember that in my description, behaving good is following the rules and behaving bad is not following the rules.

So it’s obvious what you meant isn’t exactly what I described in terms of what is good behaviour.

What you meant is having your behaviour/opinion influenced by rewards.

Which is why it’s telling to you that people would have a problem with a system that rewards good behaviour.

13/11/2018 09:59Posted by Poly
Sounds a bit tinfoily to me

When you’re in it I bet it does.
13/11/2018 04:50Posted by Miraine
I know a certain warlock who will be very sad losing that 10k post counter.

If you mean me then you have the number wrong.
13/11/2018 11:42Posted by Dottie
13/11/2018 04:50Posted by Miraine
I know a certain warlock who will be very sad losing that 10k post counter.

If you mean me then you have the number wrong.

Haven't seen you in a while. I didn't mind much though. 40k now eh, when did you pull that off.
12/11/2018 20:40Posted by Dommina
Hopefully it means the end of hiding behind level 1 throwaway characters too.

I don't see how the new forum format would make it any harder to sh*tpost on throwaways. I'd be very pleased if that was the case however.
If that’s the case, tell me what’s the reasoning behind rewarding someone for not behaving badly.

It encourages following the forum's rules and guidelines which could lead to a more 'healthy' forum with more actual discussions and less drama and personal attacks over difference in opinions.

So it’s obvious what you meant isn’t exactly what I described in terms of what is good behaviour.

That is exactly what I meant.

What you meant is having your behaviour/opinion influenced by rewards.

That is not what I meant. Don't tell other people what they meant with a post. You can't know that.

Let me put it this way: Why would someone take issue with Blizzard encouraging people to contribute positively to the forum?

13/11/2018 11:23Posted by Canabal

When you’re in it I bet it does.

In on what?
12/11/2018 19:38Posted by Brewny
12/11/2018 14:52Posted by Uruk
Can we get MVP status on new forums?

MVP status should be revoked from all when we move to the new forums, as part of starting afresh with a clean slate. Let people earn their status in the new environment.

The current MVPs are being transferred over to the new forum system, except those who asked not to be.
13/11/2018 14:18Posted by Poly
It encourages following the forum's rules and guidelines which could lead to a more 'healthy' forum with more actual discussions and less drama and personal attacks over difference in opinions

In an arena tournament, if the rules states that you can’t use addons and you don’t use them, should you get a reward for not using them?

That is exactly what I meant

No it wasn’t, because if it was exactly what you meant, your answer to my question above would be No

Let me put it this way: Why would someone take issue with Blizzard encouraging people to contribute positively to the forum?

Here’s why....first let me give you my definition of behaving badly on forums, it’s when you don’t abide by the Rules (ToS), behaving good is you following those Rules.

I take issue with Blizzard encouraging “positive” contributions because what we’re contributing is our opinion, if the parameters, which they setup, isn’t broken by me, my opinion is of no concern to them.

The rules are the rules, it’s in your best interest not to break them which is why I don’t get rewarding someone for not doing so.

So like I said, what you’re talking about is Blizzard buying your opinion.
13/11/2018 15:23Posted by Canabal
It encourages following the forum's rules and guidelines which could lead to a more 'healthy' forum with more actual discussions and less drama and personal attacks over difference in opinions

In an arena tournament, if the rules states that you can’t use addons and you don’t use them, should you get a reward for not using them?

That is exactly what I meant

No it wasn’t, because if it was exactly what you meant, your answer to my question above would be No

Here’s why....first let me give you my definition of behaving badly on forums, it’s when you don’t abide by the Rules (ToS), behaving good is you following those Rules.

I take issue with Blizzard encouraging “positive” contributions because what we’re contributing is our opinion, if the parameters, which they setup, isn’t broken by me, my opinion is of no concern to them.

The rules are the rules, it’s in your best interest not to break them which is why I don’t get rewarding someone for not doing so.

So like I said, what you’re talking about is Blizzard buying your opinion.

You get rewarded by not being kicked out of the tournament/being able to play them in the future.

It's just a different type of reward system. Like my 3 yr old gets a big shiny trophy sticker when he goes poopy on his potty instead of going poopy in his pants because I'm rewarding the positive. He gets a treat at the shops when he behaves and helps put with the shopping because I'm rewarding the positive.

The forums will offer a system of earning the right to contribute more by posting within the ToS. Doesn't matter what you post as long as it's within the ToS you will earn the right to contribute more and with some new ways. Those who don't post within the Tos won't earn that right. Why are you so worried about this? It will take no time at all to gain the first trust level and then you are free to post as much as you want, same as now the only added benefits of remaining a decent poster are the ability to post links and images, not exactly as cool as a big shiny trophy sticker but maybe you haven't quite learned how to poopy on the potty yet? (By that I mean behave in the forums I am in no means suggesting you aren't toilet trained)

No.

Will you be rewarded if you don't post things that are forbidden?
No.
13/11/2018 15:23Posted by Canabal

The term "positive contributions" has nothing to do with what the opinion is. It's about how the opinion is being given and defended.

You can be super negative (or positive) about something. If it invites other people to discussion and you respond by replying to their arguments and don't resort to personal attacks that's a positive contribution to the forum.

But if it doesn't invite to discussion and you start attacking and insulting people because they don't share your opinion that's a negative contribution to the forum.

Blizzard encouraging people to contribute to the forum to make it a better place to discuss WoW is a good thing.
There's no buying opinions with rewards.
13/11/2018 16:33Posted by Nefaryas
You get rewarded by not being kicked out of the tournament/being able to play them in the future.

Great answer, a bit long-winded, a simple No would have sufficed, reason being, you used the word reward in your answer, when it's not one.

I'll prove it.

Like my 3 yr old gets a big shiny trophy sticker when he goes poopy on his potty instead of going poopy in his pants

Your 3yr old knows from that very young age that Not having ish in his pants isn't a reward, if it was, he would have stopped ishing in his pants on his own, that Big Shiny Trophy Sticker is the reward, which he knows.

So why in my Arena Tournament scenario, not ishing in your pants is a reward?

A bit confusing but I think you'll get it.

The forums will offer a system of earning the right to contribute more by posting within the ToS. Doesn't matter what you post as long as it's within the ToS you will earn the right to contribute more and with some new ways

That's ^ fair.

Blizzard encouraging people to contribute positively to the forum

This ^ is not.

benefits of remaining a decent poster are the ability to post links and images

Nor is this ^...being able to post on forums should be good enough to over time earn the ability to post links and images just like everyone else, no need to emphasize Decent.

not exactly as cool as a big shiny trophy sticker but maybe you haven't quite learned how to poopy on the potty yet? (By that I mean behave in the forums I am in no means suggesting you aren't toilet trained)

I don't take myself that seriously, calm down lol.
13/11/2018 18:20Posted by Canabal

Great answer, a bit long-winded, a simple No would have sufficed, reason being, you used the word reward in your answer, when it's not one.

I'll prove it.

Like my 3 yr old gets a big shiny trophy sticker when he goes poopy on his potty instead of going poopy in his pants

Your 3yr old knows from that very young age that Not having ish in his pants isn't a reward, if it was, he would have stopped ishing in his pants on his own, that Big Shiny Trophy Sticker is the reward, which he knows.

So why in my Arena Tournament scenario, not ishing in your pants is a reward?

A bit confusing but I think you'll get it.

The forums will offer a system of earning the right to contribute more by posting within the ToS. Doesn't matter what you post as long as it's within the ToS you will earn the right to contribute more and with some new ways

That's ^ fair.

Blizzard encouraging people to contribute positively to the forum

This ^ is not.

benefits of remaining a decent poster are the ability to post links and images

Nor is this ^...being able to post on forums should be good enough to over time earn the ability to post links and images just like everyone else, no need to emphasize Decent.

not exactly as cool as a big shiny trophy sticker but maybe you haven't quite learned how to poopy on the potty yet? (By that I mean behave in the forums I am in no means suggesting you aren't toilet trained)

I don't take myself that seriously, calm down lol.

Maybe decent was the wrong term to use but by it I mean not trolling, spamming or flaming to an extent that the forums are an unpleasant pile of toxic filth. Some silliness is acceptable and arguing is inevitable but there is a point it crosses a line and surely we all want that behaviour reduced?
12/11/2018 14:51Posted by Nefaryas
The flamers and trolls would not earn them at all hopefully so would be around less making the forums more pleasant.

Yeah, because people who have a bit of a confrontational attitude clearly never have anything important to contribute, right?

Have fun with your echo chamber, folks.
13/11/2018 18:44Posted by Naeya
12/11/2018 14:51Posted by Nefaryas
The flamers and trolls would not earn them at all hopefully so would be around less making the forums more pleasant.

Yeah, because people who have a bit of a confrontational attitude clearly never have anything important to contribute, right?

Have fun with your echo chamber, folks.

I think you misunderstand who I mean. I obviously can't name names without breaking forums rules (plus I can't remember names haha) but for instance a month or two ago a lovely chap created a delightful thread simply to swear and shout and flame every thing WoW and blizzard related under the sun. He had nothing constructive to say that didn't start with the letter f, anyone who posted on his thread also got abuse from him. That is the type of unnecessary behaviour the forums don't need or want. That's not "confrontational" it's childish and stupid, done to antagonize people and is simple trolling.

The likes of people who make silly threads that cause no real harm however will still be around lol

Although it seems no matter how many times it's said It's not what yo post as long as you do so within the forum ToS it won't actually sink in.