question about hunter

Classic Discussion
So i saw this leveling guide for hunter in classic and it seems like u need some kind of addon to track ur auto shot.

So my question is how did auto shot work back then? did u have to stand still to be able to shoot auto shots? and did like using arcane shot reset the timer of auto shot wich means if u are 1 sec from an auto shot but uses arcane instead u get new 3 sec (or whatever the wep speed is) before an auto shot is fired?

thanks
12/11/2018 16:15Posted by Cirluica
So i saw this leveling guide for hunter in classic and it seems like u need some kind of addon to track ur auto shot.
i will prefare and addon but y u need to stand still until he faired it or else u trick ur self out of it and y if u use arcane shot u interupt auto shot.
yes, standing still is required, also dont let enemies come close.
traps can only be used out of combat, worthy to mention and require spell hit chance.
arcane shot did not reset, but both aimed shot and multi shot, so use them directly after a shot and prefer the slowest bow possible during leveling.
Actually you can ignore this Addon-Stuff. This is targeted torwards player, which want to min/max everything, but in the end it is not worth it. Most of those Addons became popular with privat servers. Back in Vanilla hunters have done their part without to know what the best timing for a certrain attack was and they did well. I would suggest that you try it out yourself before you let yourself force feed with guides. Also it is more fun to find out things yourself instead of replaying the way of someone else.
12/11/2018 17:26Posted by Nokumi
Actually you can ignore this Addon-Stuff. This is targeted torwards player, which want to min/max everything, but in the end it is not worth it. Most of those Addons became popular with privat servers. Back in Vanilla hunters have done their part without to know what the best timing for a certrain attack was and they did well. I would suggest that you try it out yourself before you let yourself force feed with guides. Also it is more fun to find out things yourself instead of replaying the way of someone else.

how is this different from today?
You don't need the add-on for leveling, only if you will raid in a serious raiding guild the add-on could be worth to look at. And even then you'll be just fine by shooting aimed shot or multi-shot after every auto-shot whichever is ready to use.

And you can move between the auto-shots. Levels 1-10 are quite painful without a pet and you want to shoot as many times as possible before the mob gets to melee range. Of course it would be handy if you could see the actual timer but you only need it for few levels and it's easy enough to learn the pattern as when to stop and shoot and how long you can strafe away until the shot is ready again.
12/11/2018 20:08Posted by Ezmod
You don't need the add-on for leveling, only if you will raid in a serious raiding guild the add-on could be worth to look at. And even then you'll be just fine by shooting aimed shot or multi-shot after every auto-shot whichever is ready to use.

You can't just spam multi/aimed after autos without consumables, and still you'll be OOM after 2 minutes
After fooling around with a hunter in the 10-20 lvl range (private server, not Demo) I have to say that, IMO, although you don't need the add-on for leveling (it's not that hard to keep track of your auto shots while standing still and shooting a mob), it does make life easier (you also likely need it for raiding and especially PvP). I plan on using it once Classic drops because, in the end, why would I not want to make my life a bit easier?
An auto shot addon is nice to have but it’s not neccesary for leveling. I’d get it anyway just to get used to it for later raiding.
when leveling a hunter, please dont use aimed shot, its such a waste of mana.
serpent sting is more efficient and doesnt make you pull of the mob from your pet by chance ;)
12/11/2018 21:08Posted by Lentat
serpent sting is more efficient and doesnt make you pull of the mob from your pet by chance ;)

I'd say it's more efficient to level as BM in any case, and then switch to MM for end game - that's when those Aimed Shots really come in to their own.
12/11/2018 21:47Posted by Grupp
12/11/2018 21:08Posted by Lentat

I'd say it's more efficient to level as BM in any case, and then switch to MM for end game - that's when those Aimed Shots really come in to their own.

This is the way. When you finally get Aimed Shot in your early 50's, the pet is strong enough that aggro stops being an issue.
The auto-shot addons track it's stages. So I'd say, there are 2 stages after you let out the projectile: 1) character reloads the weapon (you can use spells and items and move at this point), 2) character aims (any spell or movement resets this stage and you have to aim again). And this is why you should use spells/items or move right after the shot and during stage 1 - auto-shot is a big portion of your DPS and you want to fit in as much of them as possible the time frame of a combat.
are there any kind of addons for bfa i can test on my hunter just to get used to it or it doesnt work taht way now does it?
it doesnt work this way anymore for many reasons.
just dont let it get to yourself, get a feeling for how long 3 (depending on weapon) seconds are and thats the window of actions.
No need that addons, re-roll to melee hunter and enjoy trolling all the people! xD
I also have a question about loot for mobs killed solely by your pet. I remember that you couldn't get loot from mobs when your pet did all the work due to fighting bots and pet aggresive stance. But was this before or after vanilla?
I agree on not using an addon. It will only give you the cooldown, but if you kite correctly it will come natural (about the time it takes to run a few yards, bunnyhop, mouseturn, use yellow ability, and then land, depending on weapon speed).

The addon will also not help you with the trickiest part - knowing how long you have to stay still in order to release a shot, before moving again. It's an art, really :)
but let me get this straight..

If i shoot an auto shot and got a 3 sec wep speed, if i wait 1,5 sec after an auto shot and shoots an arcane shot there is still 1,5 sec until my next auto shot wich i have to stay still to shoot? or does the auto shot timer reset if i use an arcane shot after 1,5sec meaning i need to wait another 3 sec (total 4,5 sec) for an auto shot to be fired?.

And also can i shoot an auto shot run around for 3 sec (kiting) then i just need to stand still when to fire my next auto shot right?:P
auto shot conists of 2 parts
1. a "cooldown" of weapon speed in which you can move and do other stuff, and
2. a hidden 0,5s cast time in which you have to stand and should not use any skill unless its useable while moving.
auto shot cast will be delayed if you use aimed shot or multi shot, this is why you prefer a slow weapon and should only use these both directly after an auto shot.