Look who else is going mobile...

General
Looks like Runescape is offering a mobile version: https://www.runescape.com/mobile. Looks like Blizzard is not the only one going mobile with their products.
aion 2 , blade&souls2 as well..

kinda funny that it seems to be the ones interested in rpgs .. making this move

feels like they are trying to get rid of rpg options on pc and console for some reason

especially with microsoft recently buying .. Obsidian and inXile ... expect them to go mobile too
Lineage 2 has also been on mobile for a while. I uninstalled as soon I saw it has a built in quest bot :D

Anyway I don't have many expectations from games that already went p2w in their PC versions. Since Blizzard hasn't taken that direction in any of their games so far, I'll remain cautiously optimistic about their mobile games.
12/11/2018 22:52Posted by Jurgenhan
Looks like Runescape is offering a mobile version: https://www.runescape.com/mobile. Looks like Blizzard is not the only one going mobile with their products.

It's been on mobile/tablet for some time. Works reasonably well.
12/11/2018 23:35Posted by Keele
Lineage 2 has also been on mobile for a while. I uninstalled as soon I saw it has a built in quest bot :D

Remember checking Ios mobile games, show a copy of theme hospital a ps1 game that could have very easily fit with mobile.

Started seeing diamonds around which was the first red flag, build a room in the tutorial and a diamond saying "FREE" popped letting me build the room instantly clearly saying that the game is just going to waste your time to get your money

Instantly uninstalled, that is why people consider mobile games TRASH

Because even if they copy a good game that goes well with mobile, they ll ruin it by trying to make more money than the initial purchase.
12/11/2018 23:47Posted by Râlph
Because even if they copy a good game that goes well with mobile, they ll ruin it by trying to make more money than the initial purchase
There's a lot of trash on the playstore/appstore for sure, because any unethical dev can rip-off an old game, change a few models and names and aggressively monetise it like it was their own property.

But hopefully Blizzard will treat their own IPs with a little bit more respect than that. Mobile gaming doesn't have to be bad. We've had great handheld gaming for over 30 years with Sega, Nintendo and Playstation.
I haven't tried runescape on mobile but Jagex is one of the few gaming companies I still trust, because they actually listen to their players and have one of the fairest business models around. There is a good reason why runescape is still one of the most popular mmorpgs after all these years.
Runescape on Mobile is actually good and playable by a high standard... Its good with some games so don't bash other games because you're unhappy with other games going that direction keep the hate on what you don't want it on and leave the others out of it, Runescape is doing it very well and its actually evolved my gaming on runescape to being more social than Anti Social.
The mobile version of Old school RuneScape (OSRS) has been out for quite a while now and was released quite some time before Blizzard decided to make mobile games. I don't think this is a coincidence, Blizzard are scared RuneScape will be as popular as it was back in 2006-2007 with millions of players online. Remember that RuneScape was "the one" MMORPG back in those days, before most have quit or switched to other games such as WoW. OSRS has already had 120,000 more players after being released only two weeks ago.

RuneScape is a far more social and friendlier game than this dreadful WoW has become. Players frequently talk to each other while for example skilling, hanging around or being social generally. As opposed to WoW, where the only times someone write something is when they want to sell something in trade channel or in a raid where everyone are dead quiet after saying hello in a raid and only write something to complain on someone.
There are aspects of WoW that could be incorporated into a mobile phone game. We already have access to our missions and I wish they'd add the social features that are coming soon TM.

However things like pet battles could be made into a phone app very easily (in the sense it would work contributing towards the main game without taking anything away).
I wish I could do the quests for tortollan reputation from my mobile

Yea but runescape is so old and their graphics update are so slight that it can pretty easily run on a phone as the graphics & gameplay mechanics are older than me xD

Didn't really hit me by surprise really
13/11/2018 00:04Posted by Midnightfist
I haven't tried runescape on mobile but Jagex is one of the few gaming companies I still trust, because they actually listen to their players and have one of the fairest business models around. There is a good reason why runescape is still one of the most popular mmorpgs after all these years.

Aren't they the people who EA'fied Runescape with microtransaction? I have friends who still play rs and i heard they are about to quit because Runscape has turned into an EA game with their microtransactions, i can be wrong though
15/11/2018 00:48Posted by Fernine
13/11/2018 00:04Posted by Midnightfist

Aren't they the people who EA'fied Runescape with microtransaction? I have friends who still play rs and i heard they are about to quit because Runscape has turned into an EA game with their microtransactions, i can be wrong though

Not really, because if it were an EA game it would also come with a $60 upfront price tag. Remember that Runescape for mostly F2P and while there is a subscription model, it is very much optional since paying customers are largely kept separate from non-paying customers. There's also things like this:

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/buyingselling-reminder?jptg=ia&jptv=news_archive
Elder Scolls Blades is already being sold on the App Store

About Runescape on iOS: The download is free, but you have to subscribe. This seems like an acceptable business model in my opinion.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Not really, because if it were an EA game it would also come with a $60 upfront price tag. Remember that Runescape for mostly F2P and while there is a subscription model, it is very much optional since paying customers are largely kept separate from non-paying customers. There's also things like this:

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/buyingselling-reminder?jptg=ia&jptv=news_archive

Yeah they EA'd Runescape 3 to the max with MTX. Can buy ingame gold via bonds (i.e. wowtoken). Direct and 'bonus' xp for skills (via a lootbox style system), cosmetics, extra bank slots/action bars.

Hell one guy maxed an account only via mtx (granted it cost $13k and took a while for the op promotions but every single xp gained was via a microtransaction)

All the above extra cash going into the game (well most of the MTX profits went direct to the shareholders as dividends) and their content has become so lacklustre. Reskinned events and mtx as 'main updates', releasing updates with a monumental amount of bugs (latest being ppl not being able to pick up drops). Basically its a mobile game of 'how much can we squeeze out of our players' and the owners have even been quoted as saying that runescape 3 is the 'cash cow'

Oldschool runescape (the one that's now fully released on mobile) has bonds also so you could buy everything in the game with irl cash. Wouldn't surprise me if they were considering MTX whoring that also considering it has the bigger playerbase out of the two versions.

Coming from a guy who played runescape religiously since 2002 and recently switched to wow (a month before bfa pre-patch) to give myself a break and something different to play.