Can you be a nice Warlock?

Argent Dawn
It's a question that always bothered me because I can find a definitive answer... Or even find one which is in the middle and feels satisfying.

Considering that Fel is an energy that is known to influence the mind and twist thoughts to make you mostly into an ammoral/power Hungry/paranoiac... It's rather difficult to know how much or how long is it required to no longer be well meaning.

I mean, loyalty toward your nation is not something stranger to them considering that Varian had them during Pandaria's trial but then again it also strikes me being in good terms with the major nation so you're not hunted down like plagued dogs.
Jubeka Shadowbreaker always seemed quite nice to me. Polite, at least.

We have to stop meeting like this, <name>. You've saved me more times than I care to admit.

If you in turn ever need saving, I'll be there to return the favor.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Champion:_Jubeka_Shadowbreaker
There is nothing to confirm that being a warlock or using fel magic fills you with evil intent. I've come across a similar question like if warlocks can ever truly love again.

Sometimes people become warlocks because they might feel it's a means to protect something or someone they care about. Everyone has a different reason to be the warlock they are today, good or bad.
14/10/2018 20:50Posted by Teninton
There is nothing to confirm that being a warlock or using fel magic fills you with evil intent. I've come across a similar question like if warlocks can ever truly love again.

What? There's a difference between having evil intents and doing ill meaning things or having destructive behaviours.

Fel is pretty much doing that if you're not exactly careful with it... Sure a strong discipline can ward you from the very bad aspects of it.

My question although lacking in details is more oriented toward how long can you practice it until you are gone... And for some reason the answer in my head is "As long as the plots needs it".
"Either way, corruption gives the individual increased strength, more magical potential, and can lead to transformation into a demon. Warlocks with long exposure to or with extensive use of fel magic age faster than normal, and become physically weaker over time. Fel seems to tend to cloud one's judgment, or at least heavily amplify their negative traits such as violence and impatience, while snuffing out positive ones such as empathy, allowing one to make decisions they never would've made before."

A direct qoute from Wowpedia on fel. The source of that is an article on various things written by Blizzard Entertainment, below;

"In order to become a demon, a creature must be infused with fel energy. As the existence of non-sentient demons suggests, a creature's wishes are irrelevant to the process. Willing or not, a creature can be changed into a demon. Such a transformation alters the affected creature on a fundamental level and typically leaves little or nothing of that creature's original personality."

Unfortunately the original source didn't survive the overhaul of the Blizzard website.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/The_Warcraft_Encyclopedia/Demons

Edit (Cause I realised I didn't actually answer the question): Make do with that information as you will.
I think the essential answer is 'Yes', or rather, it doesn't follow that Warlock=Evil.

Certainly certain types of people would be attracted to that power, and ways of doing things. I'll give an example with my own, she was a die hard -Believer- in Kael'thas, and one of those who went to Outlands, a Sunfury. She was attracted by the thrill of power, and yes, a little seduced by the idea of how 'wicked' it all was. After the defeat of the Sunfury and the survivors rehabilitation into society she was a little broken, she'd sold herself out for quick power and had nothing to show for it. Oh she was powerful still, but she had come to realise how dangerous it all was. She still summons Demons, but only when necessary, and she never keeps them around longer than necessary. She tries to use these dread powers for 'Good', and yes, she knows what a slippery slope that is. She's sarcastic, biting, not necessarily a -nice- person, but not an evil person, and that's just her personality, nothing to do with being a Warlock.

Think a female John Constantine.
In fact no, that's a perfect example. John Constantine from 'Hellblazer' is a Warlock. He describes himself as such in the earlier comics, and he does indeed summon demons. He isn't a -bad- person, but he generally fights fire with fire, and while he has done some terrible things, he generally tries to act for the greater good, even if at times the greater good coincides neatly with "Whats best for me?"

So whilst Warlocks may have a certain personality type, it doesn't necessarily mean they are all cackling maniacs with dribbly candles and rams skull staffs.
14/10/2018 21:26Posted by Brigante

So whilst Warlocks may have a certain personality type, it doesn't necessarily mean they are all cackling maniacs with dribbly candles and rams skull staffs.

Or...they like rams skull staffs or similar ornaments, but are not cackling maniacs. :P

But! As Brigante put it, if one doesn't go too much all out in fel practices to acquire power just for the sake of it, they could just as well still be a "good" person, or at the very least just a neutral one who prefers to fight fel fire with fel fire and having a better understanding of what powers demonic enemies can wield. It doesn't need to be an easy route, but in the end I believe it can all just boil down to the individual personal balance.
As much as you can be a cruel priest, you can be a kind warlock.

Classes are not character's personalities.
Maybe the question isn't really if you can be nice while being a warlock but rather if you can be a warlock while being nice. People don't usually choose to become warlocks and dabble in the corrupting and the forbidden without any selfish desires for power or status, or arrogance, believing they would succeed where others have failed.
Most warlocks ingame, notably the Black Harvest, are all portrayed as self-serving schemers who incidentally happen to also be fighting for the greater good, perhaps only to save their hides from do-good adventurers. A warlock might not be outright rude and aggressive to everyone who talks to him, but I don't see them as the kind of people to be altruistic without gaining something in return.
Drek'thar is a good example of a nice Warlock, having abandoned the Fel in favour of the Elements at a great self sacrifice.
I can confirm Eredun Lullaby includes at least one nice warlock.
15/10/2018 14:28Posted by Nightforge
Maybe the question isn't really if you can be nice while being a warlock but rather if you can be a warlock while being nice.

Sure, nothing about using fel magic is directly "cruel" and while many may aspire to warlockdom out of a pursuit of power, you could also do so for altruistic reasons - demons are powerful, what better way to defeat them than to steal their power and use it yourself?

Your root cause and motivation ("defeating demons") is a Good one.

One of my unused character concepts was a really old BElf who picked up warlocking because he was concerned about younger warlocks going down the 'wrong path' - either morally or skillwise - and wanted to help guide them to be better. His root motivation was to help protect other warlocks from themselves, basically, and he became a master of the craft solely to do that.
Yes. You can.
Roll one and find out through months of character development.
Yes, you absolutely can be. I am one!
You must be this evil to be good.
Nice warlocks have their license ready for inspection at all times
I can tell you that I have played Typhor since Burning Crusade and he has always been what one would consider a kind orc. Does not mean he picks up everyone off the floor and apologises to people for bumping into them, heck no.

He's a grumpy old feker~

He will talk down to you, grunt at you, heck he still gets thrills from Battle and the thought of glorious combat by ending the lives of his enemies like most Orcs, sometimes even seeks it.

Due to how long he has been a Warlock though, he is very experienced with the arts and so the fel is not really twisting his mind? He has a very good handle on it. Magic users tend to become much stronger the older they get if they continue their practice as it's focused around knowledge.

He is kind to his friends, honest and cares a lot for them and his family. So in short, yeah we can be alright~
14/10/2018 21:03Posted by Varíen
"Either way, corruption gives the individual increased strength, more magical potential, and can lead to transformation into a demon. Warlocks with long exposure to or with extensive use of fel magic age faster than normal, and become physically weaker over time. Fel seems to tend to cloud one's judgment, or at least heavily amplify their negative traits such as violence and impatience, while snuffing out positive ones such as empathy, allowing one to make decisions they never would've made before."

A direct qoute from Wowpedia on fel. The source of that is an article on various things written by Blizzard Entertainment, below;

"In order to become a demon, a creature must be infused with fel energy. As the existence of non-sentient demons suggests, a creature's wishes are irrelevant to the process. Willing or not, a creature can be changed into a demon. Such a transformation alters the affected creature on a fundamental level and typically leaves little or nothing of that creature's original personality."

This' the strongest answer in this thread because it references well-established, credible sources.

14/10/2018 20:50Posted by Teninton
There is nothing to confirm that being a warlock or using fel magic fills you with evil intent.

Ironically, despite being the most up-voted post, this is the most ignorant and self-serving.

There is plenty of information stating that using fel magic fills you with evil intent. Don't be misled. Gul'dan was a Shaman before he turned to fel in order to pursue personal power. Not only was he corrupted by his collaboration with Ner'zhul (who was under the influence of Kil'jaedan). Gul'dan turned the Orcs into bloodthirsty, savage warmongering Horde who would later raid and pillage Azeroth for years to come (killing thousands of innocents in Quel'thalas in the First War, Stormwind in the Second War and many more inbetween. You could even argue that tampering with fel started the cycle of war our characters are trapped in today.)

Grom Hellscream is the perfect example of why you don't meddle with fel. It clouds your judgement. It makes you do things that you would never do. He was one of the strongest warriors the Orcish Horde had ever seen. Wise, resourceful, though due to his Orcish blood, unpredictable and bloodthirsty. ... But he did follow orders. He loved his kin and respected his Warchief. When told to leave the fight because he was striking down too many humans from his blood-lust, he did without question; removing himself to Ashenvale to collect lumber.

When Grom was there, he was corrupted by drinking the blood of the Pit Lord, Mannoroth. (Blood = Fel). Grom and the rest of the Warsong Clan became a pawn for the demons, killing not only Cenarius and dealing the first decisive blow to the Night Elves in a thousand years, but also their own people.

Can you imagine slaughtering your own kinsman for a demonic Overlord in the midst of a blood haze? That's pretty evil. That is not "nice."

The truth is that fel, like the Void, is an extremely corrupting power. If you use it IC, your character will be corrupted. You can dodge the bullet for only so long, and if you're playing otherwise, well then you're just ignoring the possibility for tension, consequences and potential flaws in your character.

If your character was a friendly, considerate chap when he started using it... That'll soon be replaced by negative character traits. Selfishness, narcissism, hunger for personal power; friends will be forgotten in favour of research. Research will turn desperate. Desperation will turn into first-hand contact with either demons, or the Void. Fel usage has a domino effect in the lore. It brings things crashing down.

Whilst fel can be used in small doses for good against the enemy or to achieve an altruistic goal, those that use it try to find an alternative ASAP. The Blood Elves swiftly fell back on arcane the moment the Sunwell was restored for a reason. It was only a matter of time before they either became corrupted, or worse, wretched with withdrawal.

There aren't "nice" Warlocks. There are Warlocks with good intentions, who either stick to the path, or are led astray from it. A wise onlooker would say it is only a matter of time.

Edit: Missed a space between "good" and "against."
16/10/2018 11:36Posted by Aesos
he did without question;

This is false. Why you lyin'?

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Cry_of_the_Warsong_(WC3_Orc)

Just read the dialogue exchange for this and the next mission, especially the part where Thrall orders him not to attack, then Grom does.