Addons - My biggest fear for Classic!

Classic Discussion
I think that Blizzard HAS to control what kind of addons are allowed on the classic servers. If the servers allow all kinds of addons it will destroy the community.

Only addons that were back then should be allowed (threat/dps meters, unitframes,bartender etc.) but...

IF/WHEN someone makes an LFG (or god forbid LFR) addon for classic it will destroy the community like it did in retail. People will become disposable.
I beg you Blizzard please don't let this happen to the game.
27/10/2018 00:39Posted by Juki
I think that Blizzard HAS to control what kind of addons are allowed on the classic servers. If the servers allow all kinds of addons it will destroy the community.

Only addons that were back then should be allowed (threat/dps meters, unitframes,bartender etc.) but...

IF/WHEN someone makes an LFG (or god forbid LFR) addon for classic it will destroy the community like it did in retail. People will become disposable.

even if LFR addon is somehow created and accepted by everyone, people still have to walk to those instances, which doesn't happen on retail at all (you get ported into those dungeons/raids), so that addon doesn't really do anything significant. these raids would still have a raid leader and be able to kick people out of the raid. overall, your post, like many others on this forum, doesn't make any sense. addons are there for a reason and they cannot make something that bypasses usual game mechanics, like porting to the raid or making a "vote to kick" or something else.
That will be the day when Addons teleport you to the dungeon/raid.
27/10/2018 00:43Posted by Luminnar
so that addon doesn't really do anything significant

As you say if these addons doesn't do anything significant and doesn't bring value to the game they should not be even allowed.
27/10/2018 00:49Posted by Darkvveaver

I never said that the example addon would teleport anyone to anywhere.. What I meant was if the addon has the power to change grouping in the game it shouldn't be allowed there.
27/10/2018 00:54Posted by Juki

I never said that the example addon would teleport anyone to anywhere.. What I meant was if the addon has the power to change grouping in the game it shouldn't be allowed there.

There isnt addon that change grouping in retail, why would there be one in classic? And even in Vanilla you could group automatically using Meeting stone or Innkeeper.
27/10/2018 00:55Posted by Elaynne
There isnt addon that change grouping in retail, why would there be one in classic?

There isn't addon for retail.. there is the group finder tool, LFG and LFR. Which in my opinion has done quite a good job making people disposable.

27/10/2018 00:55Posted by Elaynne
And even in Vanilla you could group automatically using Meeting stone or Innkeeper.

Well good let people use these instead of an addon.
I was also thinking the same. I hope Blizzard will monitor the addons. The biggest issue is that because we will be playing on the modern client with the newest code, some addons that were impossible to do back then will be very easy to do nowadays, and I really fear for what that can lead to.

I see what you mean by even if there is an LFR addon you still have to walk to the instance, but even having people standing in IF to gather people is such an iconic feature of vanilla WoW that it would be really sad to see it go.
27/10/2018 00:54Posted by Juki

What can an addon help you with then that something like discord isn't already doing?
27/10/2018 01:17Posted by Darkvveaver
What can an addon help you with then that something like discord isn't already doing?

As long it is not an addon doing the job its fine.

27/10/2018 01:16Posted by Halanor
but even having people standing in IF to gather people is such an iconic feature of vanilla WoW that it would be really sad to see it go.

And as he said it would be shame to lose something as iconic because of an addon

Addons work on your client, not on the servers. So it's up to the client what addons it will allow. They can modify the API or ban certain addons(I think it's doable in current addon system already).

What about addons that were made later for private servers that used only what vanilla wow api allowed?

There are no ways of automatic grouping allowed for addons at all. The only way to make LFG addon would be addon that whispers to people, invites people around. There's no way to make addon that will create queues and and put groups together like dungeon finder. Also there's no cross realm so the amount people available will be limited and there will be realm reputation factor.

I could see someone making addon that would work like Group Finder tool. So you can list your group via UI and put all details what this group is for and then people would sign up. It wouldn't be the end of the world because it's not that much different from spamming LFM on chat but it could allow people to make group without going to the city.

Such an addon wouldn't realy use anything that wasn't in vanilla API so it could be created even if they reduced it to that state. In fact this kind of addon already exists.
Posted by Darkvveaver

As long it is not an addon doing the job its fine.
Come to think of it, you could call Discord an addon seeing as you can use a discord overlay in WoW. So again: What is it you are fearing will be developed for WoW that Discord isn't already doing?
What I'm trying to say with this post is that having addons that would change how the game is suppose to be played should not exist.

Imagine having a group finder addon with some sort of modern 'gearscore' built into it. Then imagine seeing the list of gearscored players on the list. Sounds familiar? People would become so fixated to these scores as they are to current ilvl score or raider.io score. It has happened (current group finder tool)before it will happen again if its not stopped.
27/10/2018 01:56Posted by Juki
What I'm trying to say with this post is that having addons that would change how the game is suppose to be played should not exist.

Blizzard have always made sure addons that are detrimental to the game gets banned.

Also, why make yet another bloody topic about addons? There are plenty of topics about addons. Just let the topic die already.
I do not visit these forums too regularly and so I do not know if people has posted on this topic already. The purpose of the forums is to discuss about classic.. complaining about this post seems little weird to me.
You can't make LFR addon as that's a part of the game - addon can't generate content, can't teleport, can't make an easy raid or dungeon instance.

As for LFG - you have local chat for that and for normal group finder - there likely will be no API support for this as this also rely on parts of the game.

And brainless PUGing will end up with super quick wipe and group starting to disband :) The reason API exists is that letter "i" stands for interface - it puts a clear interface to integrate with the game. It has very precise and described functionalities so people can't exceed it when making addons.
27/10/2018 02:05Posted by Geronîmoo
Blizzard have always made sure addons that are detrimental to the game gets banned.
Nah... not really.
Also, why make yet another bloody topic about addons?
Because its obviously a bloody concern for a bloody lot of people and your bloody snarling isn't easing anyones bloody mind.
There are plenty of topics about addons.
You can never have enough early warnings .. specially when its about Blizzard.
Just let the topic die already.
No!
27/10/2018 02:13Posted by Juki
I do not visit these forums too regularly and so I do not know if people has posted on this topic already. The purpose of the forums is to discuss about classic.. complaining about this post seems little weird to me.
Geronimoo has a permanent crush on addons.. specially for the ones that help him avoid 'time wasting' gameplay, learning processes and everything that speeds up leveling and finishing content.

Just Ignore him. The addon feature is a massive potential gamekiller for Classic. Even if only a relative small number of people are able to understand that.
27/10/2018 01:32Posted by Cedrad
There are no ways of automatic grouping allowed for addons at all. The only way to make LFG addon would be addon that whispers to people, invites people around. There's no way to make addon that will create queues and and put groups together like dungeon finder.

There is a way but everyone has to have the same addon. If you want to have people gathering other people manually, just don't install LFG addons to make them less useful.

You know addons that were back then were much more powerfull than addons that are today? Auto-heal lowest HP target, Auto-cleanse harmful effects by name, etc.. Even auto-loot and auto-dismount were powerfull and created small advantage over those without addons (so I think it is only good that autoloot was added as an option).

They implemented battle.net chat into the client thus they made deep change into original lua/xml files so it is likely we will have 5.2 Lua version (instead of old 5.1) and updated api to make addons less powerfull and easier to program.

Do not let fool yourself, you cannot recreate vanilla experience and even on private servers people are using 2018 addons. That's the reality, sorry.
Call to arms existed during vanilla. Did that destroy the community?
I would like no addons. I think they are cheating and they interfer with my immersion and enjoyment of the game. I would like to see them gone or heavily restricted in what they can do.

With that said, we're going to have addons and it's not going to be as bad as it was back then. Prepare to downloand 30ish addons and devote a few hours of your gametime to learn the addons and keep them updated. It's going to be a chore, but that's just what it is.