Start a petition: No sharding in Vanilla!

Classic Discussion
No sharding. #NoChanges.

Bump.
03/11/2018 13:24Posted by Агграэль
03/11/2018 13:14Posted by Shogath
Whatever. I prefer to get through the first 5 levels without spending a week

Were not you the one who hated spreedrunners and "go go" mentality while advocating for slow-paced leveling?
Weak attempt even for your standards.

I wouldn't compare slow paced leveling to beeing stuck forever because overload. I won't be sticking around the starter area for a week to 'get to know' everyone either.

But i reckon you need to grasp at every straw when logic runs so low. :)
03/11/2018 13:10Posted by Meibhín

People literally role on RP servers because there is no sharding. Sharding absolutely destroys the community and destroys meaningful interactions like no other one system could.
Whatever. I prefer to get through the first 5 levels without spending a week in a clogged up clusterfck.

I don't care about your overdramatised nonsense that has already been debunked by Blizzard themselves.

Go foam at the mouth with the rest of the hysterical dumbasses.

look at the sociopath go!
03/11/2018 13:30Posted by Shogath
I wouldn't compare slow paced leveling to beeing stuck forever because overload

So changes when it's convenient for you, yeah.
Or simply excusing every Blizzard's bull!@#$.
Seriously guys, it's Shogath. You don't need to argue, don't do this to yourselves.
03/11/2018 13:39Posted by Федя
So changes when it's convenient for you, yeah.
No, changes because we don't live in the dark ages of computer tech. anymore. I want to play Classic... not sit around in front of my PC waiting for queue to grow shorter.
03/11/2018 13:39Posted by Федя
Or simply excusing every Blizzard's bull!@#$.
No, im always very critical about Blizzard. But this time i actually think they are doing something usefull. And i also don't see any negatives for the furture when it comes to this.

I've dealt with sharding in the past in WoW and its never been much more than a small inconvenience. If i recall correctly i even cured it by logging on and off on a few ocasions.

I much prefer it over wasting hours waiting in line. I also prefer to actively work around such minor issues and not make mountains out of molehills.

Sorry if that doesn't work for you. :)
03/11/2018 13:49Posted by Shogath

Sorry if that doesn't work for you. :)

This isn't a molehill. Sorry if that doesn't fit into your delusions, cupcake.
Tbh... out of the 2 bad things i'd prefer dynamic respawns at the launch rather than sharding.

Early game you meet new people, many of them will be ur friends for your long Classic journey, everyone would hate to meet good folks just so they disappear once you complete a quest.
/signed

If starting area population is a problem just increase temporary spawn rate of quest monsters/items until area thins out in couple of days.

Community stays intact on a single server and starting area questing gets little smoother.
Whatever. I prefer to get through the first 5 levels without spending a week in a clogged up clusterfck.

I don't care about your overdramatised nonsense that has already been debunked by Blizzard themselves.

Go foam at the mouth with the rest of the hysterical dumbasses.

That is not an argument, that is you throwing personal insults at me. AD-EU is heavily populated for the sole reason that the server has no sharding or cross realm. PVErs and PVPers literally roll on this server because these systems killed the community on their old realms. Your insults, are not an argument. Blizzard have not debunked this at all. They have shown they fundamentally do NOT understand the issue.

Whatever you think is obviously your opinion and you are entitled to it but that doesn't mean I (and other people) have to agree with you. You want an experience where people are LITERALLY invisble and hidden from you in your own zones. I'd prefer the growth pains of vanilla so a community is absolutely established rather than scuffed from the get go.

The core tenant of vanilla is the community. With out it. It will die. They will use it when ever the realm will become congested. Which means peak times, WPVP, World events and community events that cause server stress. It sets a BAD precedent. They are a MULTI-BILLION dollar company they are not a small indie company, they can handle this. Giving them a free pass is wrong. If you think destroying the community for the sake of convenience is a good thing then I don't know what to say.

Getting nasty with me like a spoilt child doesn't change any of this.
I'm totally fine with a little sharding the first week or so. There's zero need for it later on so there's zero reason for Blizz to keep using it beyond launch.
03/11/2018 14:22Posted by Meibhín
That is not an argument, that is you throwing personal insults at me.
Not wanting to wait for hours and applauding good tech is not an argument?? I beg to differ.
Whatever you think is obviously your opinion and you are entitled to it
Thanks for acknowledging that.
The core tenant of vanilla is the community. With out it. It will die.
No sht!? Well, im sure the community will survive a bit of sharding in the starters area's during launch days.

I expect it to be even better since now you can actually log on and communicate with people.

Beats staring at your log in screen for hours on end.

Now run along.
Not wanting to wait for hours and applauding good tech is not an argument?? I beg to differ.

When you need to cherry pick what I said Shogath you come across as entirely dishonest. If you're going to reply to me at least bother to take the time to do it properly rather than ignore the point being made.

03/11/2018 14:36Posted by Shogath
Thanks for acknowledging that.

Now run along.

Seething.
03/11/2018 14:37Posted by Meibhín
If you're going to reply to me at least bother to take the time to do it properly rather than ignore the point being made.
I think i made myself clear but you wre a bit fast on the reply. Please read again. or not.
03/11/2018 14:42Posted by Shogath
I think i made myself clear but you wre a bit fast on the reply. Please read again. or not.

"Haha bro I'm going to take segments of what you say instead addressing the argument as a whole, then repeatedly type "Run along!" like a ten year old throwing a temper tantrum."

Hmm.
03/11/2018 14:45Posted by Meibhín
03/11/2018 14:42Posted by Shogath

"Haha bro I'm going to take segments of what you say instead addressing the argument as a whole, then repeatedly type "Run along!" like a ten year old throwing a temper tantrum."

Hmm.
Suit yourself dear. :)
03/11/2018 14:53Posted by Shogath
Suit yourself dear. :)

And what would be the point of me trying to engage with you? I've already explained that allowing phasing will set a bad precedent and give them an excuse to use it when ever there's any congestion or stress on the servers.

We had lots of that during vanilla whether it's WPVP or server events like the AQ gate opening, if you want to trade convenience for community then what I am suppose to say to you? I pointed out on live realms that people flock to AD EU (RP server) because it provides a community they can't get on sharded realms. Condescending smileys and nastiness won't change this.
Guys stop responding to Shogath, he's literally and figuratively a troll. He doesnt actually have these opinions he just trying to get you guys to flame at him. The character he is posting on is a level 1 troll, just ignore him, he doesn't even believe what hes saying lol.
03/11/2018 15:03Posted by Meibhín
And what would be the point of me trying to engage with you?
I've no idea. Don't really see an advantage there either.
03/11/2018 15:03Posted by Meibhín
I've already explained that allowing phasing will set a bad precedent and give them an excuse to use it when ever there's any congestion or stress on the servers.
I see no problem with early game sharding as opposed to crashing servers and long queue times.

And to be honest... i don't see a problem with it further on either. Why? Because i frequently lagged out or disconnected during events and large crowds. So i never got to see or experience stuff like that anyway.

Also, people are still there and apparantly the problem is solved by grouping up.
Meibhín:
We had lots of that during vanilla whether it's WPVP or server events like the gate opening, if you want to trade convenience for community then what I am suppose to say to you? I pointed out on live realms that people flock to AD EU (RP server) because it provides a community they can't get on sharded realms.
Again, i don't care. I'll get by as i always did.

I never lost anyone to oblivion due to sharding and even if someone went invisible it was solved a moment later.

All that sharding does for me is solving an issue i recognise from back then.

Sorry, but that is where i stand on the matter.

I'm also not religiously 'NoChanges' where it concerns tech stuff like this. And from what ive seen on the demo so far, and considering that they are still working on it, im very pleased with the results as they are.

But then again, I never expected a 1 on 1 copy of Vanilla. Vanilla is dead and buried. Specially when they are rebuilding it right on top of todays game.
I've no idea. Don't really see an advantage there either.

Well it's not a personal attack per say but what I mean is, if I try to engage with you, and the response I get is snark it's pointless.

I see no problem with early game sharding as opposed to crashing servers and long queue times.

And to be honest... i don't see a problem with it further on either. Why? Because i frequently lagged out or disconnected during events and large crowds. So i never got to see or experience stuff like that anyway.

Also, people are still there and apparantly the problem is solved by grouping up.

If you've ever watched Kevin Jordan (one of the three original devs) he'll explain that a lot of the conveniences we have in the game now have damaged it irreparably. Once you've added a system in to a game - even if the developers realize it's bad - it can never be taken out. It's like flying, they tried it with WoD, what was the reaction? If Blizzard uses sharding it means they will use it when ever they feel the servers are under stress - the servers almost always under stress in vanilla because that's the nature of the game.

Sharding atomizes the community. We know that. It's not just me making a big deal of it, even on live people role on RP servers (mainly ADEU) just because they don't want that system affecting their gameplay. It's a short term gain for long term damage that can't be reversed in my opinion.

Is your PC/internet still a potato at the moment btw?

03/11/2018 15:18Posted by Shogath
Again, i don't care. I'll get by as i always did.

I never lost anyone to oblivion due to sharding and even if someone went invisible it was solved a moment later.

All that sharding does for me is solving an issue i recognise from back then.

Sorry, but that is where i stand on the matter.

I'm also not religiously 'NoChanges' where it concerns tech stuff like this. And from what ive seen on the demo so far, and considering that they are still working on it, im very pleased with the results as they are.

But then again, I never expected a 1 on 1 copy of Vanilla. Vanilla is dead and buried. Specially when they are rebuilding it right on top of todays game.

See the thing is, a lot of people are going to go in to this experience with out any friends playing or not really knowing anyone. It's neigh impossible to make those connections for them if the players they interact with aren't static. One of the most memorable things about vanilla was knowing your server community I used to know an orc hunter that always ran in to me, we used to fight religiously, that guy was my mortal enemy. He ended up rerolling and PVPing with me.

Those type of experiences to me are an important aspect of the old game - it was designed from the ground up to funnel players together and force them to interact to achieve their goals. It's what makes an MMORPG great. Sharding stops people from interacting with each other in a way that's important for the community. It turns other players in to passing ghosts.

I know you aren't interested, but I want to make these arguments because I'd like to think we have blues reading the threads, occasionally.