"Toxic" is becoming a meaningless buzzword

General
Toxic is so overused and misused its practically lost all useful meaning, Toxic is not shorthand for behavior I don't like, It's not an excuse to moan about and and demonize the PUG group that kicked you. It's not that 120 ganking you because you turned on warmode to speed up leveling. Toxic is online bullying and abuse for the sake of it. Its not annoying. Its extremely hurtful and done with that intention in mind. Calling petty stuff toxic just cheapens and dilutes it and gives off the vibe that toxic behavior is just people being petty about annoyances.

Look, Im not saying don't complain about asshats and annoying player behavior, just don't conflate it with serious issues.
Hey that's pretty toxic dude.
Yeah completely agree. Some people are really “toxic” though, like really if they were anything else but human they’d be toxic radioactive material. One would instantly regret interacting with it. If you know what i mean. Using game’s mechanics and systems don’t make anyone toxic. I think it’s more like verbally abusive stuff are considered toxic which are banneble.
the problem is people use the term toxic without knowing the meaning
What a toxic patriarchy mansplaining post!

I'll have you know that words hurt even more than physical violence and if anyone FEEL like it's toxic behavior, then it's because it IS toxic. We don't all conform to your social construct, it's as serious a thing as anything else, if not more. People are special and unique and should be treated the way they like.

You are probably a cis white male, you should check your privilege.

PS: sarcasm can occur.
12/11/2018 02:39Posted by Zerenity
What a toxic patriarchy mansplaining post!

I'll have you know that words hurt even more than physical violence and if anyone FEEL like it's toxic behavior, then it's because it IS toxic. We don't all conform to your social construct, it's as serious a thing as anything else, if not more. People are special and unique and should be treated the way they like.

You are probably a cis white male, you should check your privilege.

PS: sarcasm can occur.

Your post is not inclusive enough.
12/11/2018 02:31Posted by Maisia
Yeah completely agree. Some people are really “toxic” though, like really if they were anything else but human they’d be toxic radioactive material. One would instantly regret interacting with it. If you know what i mean. Using game’s mechanics and systems don’t make anyone toxic. I think it’s more like verbally abusive stuff are considered toxic which are banneble.

I don't dispute that, I still remember a huge outrage on my server back in WoTLK when a raider mocked a kid with cancer on general chat(didnt help that his mom was a player too and saw the whole thing), and the entire server went absolutely ape!@#$, He had to pay to transfer because nobody would even acknowledge him after.

Thats toxic behavior.
From Blizzcon panel on the subject:
https://youtu.be/7uNKxDScUg0?t=459

"It's an ambiguous and often charged term that can mean very different things to different people, and so that makes it very difficult to use in any serious discussion."
The big problem is ignorant people that see a 'cool' buzzword and start using it with no idea what it means. 'Toxic' is one of those words.
12/11/2018 03:29Posted by Pointybeard
The big problem is ignorant people that see a 'cool' buzzword and start using it with no idea what it means. 'Toxic' is one of those words.

Not all of us are native English, we pick up whatever words we hear/read.

Please give us an exact definition instead.
Toxic and entitled... 2 words i see spammed daily.

This is the eu yet you plebs copy americans and their sheet banter :/
12/11/2018 03:29Posted by Pointybeard

I don't think it is "cool" so much as it is lazy. And at least sometimes dishonest, but convenient.

It's Argument-by-label. Hardly new, but surprisingly less challenged these days. Just call some unidentified people who aren't there to speak for themselves "toxic", and you don't have to explain anything further. Which I'm sure is very handy in some cases.

Actually, "toxic" is one of those words that is technically pretty meaningless anyhow, though handy. Water is toxic, in sufficient doses. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dose_makes_the_poison

But when the metaphor is applied to people, almost anything goes, so it's not possible to know exactly what someone else means when using the word.
Sadly toxic is hardly the only word that is taken out off it's context.
Now a days !@#$ and racist basicly means ''person i disagree with''.

On the subject off truely toxic people, i don't know how it's for you guys but i barely ever see them anymore, the last one was before the BFA pre patch.
The digital world promises unparalleled promise of cooperation and communication between people yet it is abused to such an extent that achieving this feat is proving more and more difficult. Instead of creating more diversive and cooperative societies we're tearing ourselves apart. One can lay the blame on a lot of things but mostly it boils down to one thing; immorality.

People generally conduct themselves in a polite and respectful manner in real-life but all that diminishes over the internet. Why? Because the anonimity presents an opportunity that, for some, validates "toxic" behaviour. For example, many people who abuse the internet act in a way some do when driving; they curse, make obscene gestures, and generally behave like savages. Most of them would never behave that way at home or at work but the interposition of the machine seems to make it acceptable. This shows that if the opportunity is present there are some who would abuse it for their own amusement or personal gain, regardless of whether or not others are hurt in the process. As a rule of thumb I disassociate myself with those who abuse the internet to hurl abuse. Doing so has made my online experience much more pleasant.

TLDR; TIOPWBFMTAD

Trespassers
In
Orange
Pajamas
With
Blue
Flip-flops
Might
Trip
And
Die

Stay out my house you darn drunkards.
Peace
that's part of the NPC programming #OrangeManBad
From my experience the people who complain about toxicity in video games, are usually toxic themselves, to a much higher degree. I never hear polite and pleasant people in wow complain about a toxic playerbase, it's just the people that get kicked or something and then proceed to judge the whole playerbase as toxic and evil(which is very generalising and wrong), even if there could be plenty of valid reasons as to why they were removed from the group in the first place.
It's just a new fancy word for overly sensitive babies to use whenever something doesn't go their way.
Here are some helpful alternatives for the word toxic. You can call them
-losers (not a very serious insult)
-babies (babies will get Really upset over this one, add a word of your choice in front of it: crying babies, sensetive babies, etc.)
-slimy neckbeards
-"i bet you're a 'nice guy' irl"
-kids
-cucks (has maybe lost its power from overuse)
-nathanos 2.0

(My personal favourite is loser)
Blame the "progressive" far-left. They're over-usage of terms such as "racist, bigot, sexist, fascist, N*zi, Toxic" etc towards anybody they disagree with, even if they're not on the 'right' of the political spectrum, has gotten out of hand to the point where the words are losing their meaning.
12/11/2018 02:24Posted by Draebet
Toxic is online bullying and abuse for the sake of it.

Nnnnnooo, that's the definition of "griefing"

I'm pretty sure "toxic" would be defined as "Behavior that undermines the pleasant atmosphere of a community and has the potential of spreading."

You know, like me and my constant negativity and sarcasm.