"Toxic" is becoming a meaningless buzzword

General
The meaning of words changes over time, just like the use of " " have changed from the way I learned in school.

But when it comes to toxidity, I want to lean over to Zerenity's explanation; if it feels toxic, then it is toxic.

Just because one player doesn't feel in some way, doesn't it mean that others have the same way.
12/11/2018 08:22Posted by Moothilda
But when it comes to toxidity, I want to lean over to Zerenity's explanation; if it feels toxic, then it is toxic.

Just because one player doesn't feel in some way, doesn't it mean that others have the same way.

You realize that she was being sarcastic, right?

As in, actually making fun of people like you?
12/11/2018 08:26Posted by Naeya
12/11/2018 08:22Posted by Moothilda

You realize that she was being sarcastic, right?

As in, actually making fun of people like you?

I read the white male part as sarcastic...

But stick to my view
12/11/2018 08:32Posted by Moothilda
But stick to my view

So, according to you, literally EVERYTHING is toxic, then?

Since, you know, in MY opinion, you are toxic. And, according to your view, anything that SOMEONE feels is toxic, IS toxic.
12/11/2018 08:36Posted by Naeya
12/11/2018 08:32Posted by Moothilda
But stick to my view

So, according to you, literally EVERYTHING is toxic, then?

Since, you know, in MY opinion, you are toxic. And, according to your view, anything that SOMEONE feels is toxic, IS toxic.

No that was not what I meant.

But if you felt that I was being toxic towards you, then at some point I did offend you.

Edit: Typos
Toxic has been a meaningless buzzword since it's first inception. People just add the word "toxic" in front of something to make it seem like it's supposed to be bad.

It's the same as feminists making up words by adding "man" in front of them, such as Mansplaining and Manspreading.
12/11/2018 02:24Posted by Draebet
Toxic is online bullying

I think you phrased that wrong.

‘Online Bullying is Toxic’, is how it should have been worded.

So is bad behaviour, so is kicking someone out of group for no apparent reason.

Regardless of the severity, if the intent is to negatively affect someone, it’s Toxic.
Same with elitist and casual I suppose.
It is usually a result of people who spend too much time on the internet and have forgotten what consequences for your actions are.

IRL you cant be a a-hole without getting socially punished sooner or later, online though there's no real punishment and kids have starting growing in an environment that often promotes bad behavior and refuses to punish it so the result is to be expected
I feel like the word*Toxic* has been misused alot and some people spent way too much time on the internet and think they are safe behind the screen cause of anonimity and aswel some people are overly sensitive that they use the word toxic for every annoyance that happens online.There are a bunch of words on the English language that describes peoples behavior better then just using toxic for everything.
12/11/2018 10:07Posted by Yolandass
I feel like the word*Toxic* has been misused alot and some people spent way too much time on the internet and think they are safe behind the screen cause of anonimity and aswel some people are overly sensitive that they use the word toxic for every annoyance that happens online.There are a bunch of words on the English language that describes peoples behavior better then just using toxic for everything.

I agree, and I think that's partly one of the grey zones we are in.

As one thread was complaining about; People don't speak english - the non-native english speakers don't have enough vocabulary to fill out what happened or how they feel. And the word toxic is used much, so it's handy to use.

The other is being aware of what you send out, but also as a reciever to understand, that maybe it wasn't intentional, but because of situations.
Some thing that amuses one person, might hurt another.
And people don't communicate their way out of an unpleasant situation - they kick, they complain, they avoid.

Edit: lack of english vocabulary
It is one of those words that has lost its currency through overdramatic over usage, I mean it still has its actual meaning, which has nothing to do with people at all, and that will endure long after the fad of using it to describe a person.

It is another of those words, that people seize upon, and use constantly, like 'Cuck' without understanding what the word actually means. I mean for someone to be a Cuck, to have been Cucked, or a Cuckold there has to be a very specific set of circumstances.

Then you get other phrases, like 'White Knight'. That's a ridiculous one to use as a pejorative against someone. Think about what is actually being said there "You Hero!" "You Good Guy!". Now of course we all know what the phrase means during its Internet 15 minutes of fame, 'Someone who mindlessly champions something', so you have two meanings that are almost entirely different.

A 'White Knight' has also lost its currency through over use. It is now just a default word for someone who you disagree with, much as 'Cuck' or 'Toxic'

'Edgy' is going the same way. It still has its correct meaning, but the new one has now become a bit, well, Edgy in itself.. It is generally used by the sort of person who is trying to use it to insult someone else, which is in itself, a delicious irony.

My favourite however, or rather, the one I love to hate most, is 'SJW'. "Social Justice Warrior". Its brilliant. It manages to pervert 3 good words and make them sound like 3 bad words.

Consider it. The Opposite of Social, is Anti-Social, a loner, no real friends, The Opposite of Justice, is Injustice, so unfairness or discrimination, a Warrior fights for something, the opposite of this is a pacifistic attitude, Passiveness.

Essentially a Social Justice Warrior is someone who has lots of friends, believes in fairness, and is prepared to fight to uphold it.

What then is the opposite? a friendless nihilist who can't even be bothered to do anything about it? Jeez, they sound fun at parties.

Now obviously I know what is meant when people use SJW and are correct about its usage, however it is being Overused, it is losing its currency.

All of these words essentially now have the same meaning. "Someone I disagree with".

If we're honest, we all know why, I mean we're using it now.

Language evolves over time, it always has, from the famed example of a word meaning 'Very Happy' to meaning 'Enjoys bedroom hanky panky with the same sex', or even the word Idiot, which used to be Nidiot, with the same meaning, and then before that was Nidiot but actually meant a pleasant and affable person who is happy to live a peaceful simple life. Of course language changes, and goes down bizarre routes, I mean good grief, in English we have both a word for someone who 'looks like an uncle' and another for 'the act of throwing someone through a window'

But thats my point. Those words occurred organically, and they are very specific, precisely because they are -not- overused.

With the Internet however, words shift and change in days, are suddenly seen everywhere for a year or two, often used incorrectly for a year or two after that, then disappear back into obscurity (Which is probably for the best).

Now it is not so much a problem for us, living in these times, but a lot of our conversations now, would be a nightmare for future etymologists and historians, much more so than say, speech from medieval times is for researchers today, precisely -because- that process is now so swift.

Basically think of these words as like a Balloon. They come from relatively nowhere, you can blow them up, and there is a certain 'sweet spot' where you tie the knot and can just use it without it changing. If you keep inflating however, eventually it will burst.

And thats what people do when they misuse these words or terms as insults for 'Someone I disagree with'.

They're overinflating the balloon.
12/11/2018 12:06Posted by Brigante
It is one of those words that has lost its currency through overdramatic over usage, I mean it still has its actual meaning, which has nothing to do with people at all, and that will endure long after the fad of using it to describe a person.

It is another of those words, that people seize upon, and use constantly, like 'Cuck' without understanding what the word actually means. I mean for someone to be a Cuck, to have been Cucked, or a Cuckold there has to be a very specific set of circumstances.

Then you get other phrases, like 'White Knight'. That's a ridiculous one to use as a pejorative against someone. Think about what is actually being said there "You Hero!" "You Good Guy!". Now of course we all know what the phrase means during its Internet 15 minutes of fame, 'Someone who mindlessly champions something', so you have two meanings that are almost entirely different.

A 'White Knight' has also lost its currency through over use. It is now just a default word for someone who you disagree with, much as 'Cuck' or 'Toxic'

'Edgy' is going the same way. It still has its correct meaning, but the new one has now become a bit, well, Edgy in itself.. It is generally used by the sort of person who is trying to use it to insult someone else, which is in itself, a delicious irony.

My favourite however, or rather, the one I love to hate most, is 'SJW'. "Social Justice Warrior". Its brilliant. It manages to pervert 3 good words and make them sound like 3 bad words.

Consider it. The Opposite of Social, is Anti-Social, a loner, no real friends, The Opposite of Justice, is Injustice, so unfairness or discrimination, a Warrior fights for something, the opposite of this is a pacifistic attitude, Passiveness.

Essentially a Social Justice Warrior is someone who has lots of friends, believes in fairness, and is prepared to fight to uphold it.

What then is the opposite? a friendless nihilist who can't even be bothered to do anything about it? Jeez, they sound fun at parties.

Now obviously I know what is meant when people use SJW and are correct about its usage, however it is being Overused, it is losing its currency.

All of these words essentially now have the same meaning. "Someone I disagree with".

If we're honest, we all know why, I mean we're using it now.

Language evolves over time, it always has, from the famed example of a word meaning 'Very Happy' to meaning 'Enjoys bedroom hanky panky with the same sex', or even the word Idiot, which used to be Nidiot, with the same meaning, and then before that was Nidiot but actually meant a pleasant and affable person who is happy to live a peaceful simple life. Of course language changes, and goes down bizarre routes, I mean good grief, in English we have both a word for someone who 'looks like an uncle' and another for 'the act of throwing someone through a window'

But thats my point. Those words occurred organically, and they are very specific, precisely because they are -not- overused.

With the Internet however, words shift and change in days, are suddenly seen everywhere for a year or two, often used incorrectly for a year or two after that, then disappear back into obscurity (Which is probably for the best).

Now it is not so much a problem for us, living in these times, but a lot of our conversations now, would be a nightmare for future etymologists and historians, much more so than say, speech from medieval times is for researchers today, precisely -because- that process is now so swift.

Basically think of these words as like a Balloon. They come from relatively nowhere, you can blow them up, and there is a certain 'sweet spot' where you tie the knot and can just use it without it changing. If you keep inflating however, eventually it will burst.

And thats what people do when they misuse these words or terms as insults for 'Someone I disagree with'.

They're overinflating the balloon.

TLDR; Toxic is overused
A true definition of toxic is, "Poisonous, potentially lethal." In a similar way, 'hate' has lost a lot of it's true power as a word, as it's truest meaning is, "To wish death upon".

EDIT:
What also needs to be considered is that what's being referred to, as toxic, isn't the people - as humans - more the way they behave... how their brain thinks and their thoughts become manifest.
people call me toxic all the time :P ... they should really look up the meaning :)

have you know only people on this forum.

never anywhere else

there is a difference to being negative about a subject to try help it , than being negative to a subject because you want it to fail :) if i wanted wow to fail i wouldn't even be here :), and just let you all ruin it until its unplayable :P
Toxic and noob are by far the most incorrectly used words on the internet to date.
12/11/2018 14:25Posted by Dappysham
Toxic and noob are by far the most incorrectly used words on the internet to date.

On the whole internet? I think they have serious competition. :P

"Noob" is confined to gaming.

The misuse of "Toxic" is certainly spread very far. It's handy, in a way, because when I see someone use it, I can dismiss the post as a low-effort, low-information rant.

Many days, I'm inclined to put "Science" among the most misused words on the Internet, since it is appealed to inappropriately so often ("Science says ...", "Science tells us ...").

On these forums, I think "Casual", and to a lesser extent, other attempted categories of player, like "Elitist", "Pro", "Raider", "Bad", may be the most ambiguous. When I see them, I think I sort-of know what the poster means, but I'm never quite sure. This does not lead to clear thinking or clear discussions. And yet, they are handy shorthand when accuracy is not very important.