How we're seen to post

General
Why can't we post as our battletag...?
Save having to create a L1 for forum posting, as some feel the need to do.

Let Forum contributions be about the player, not the character...
Not everyone wants to put their battletag out there for all to see.
Didn't they try something like this before, and it got a MASSIVE amount of hatred from the community?
25/10/2018 13:16Posted by Shortbolts
Didn't they try something like this before, and it got a MASSIVE amount of hatred from the community?

They wanted for us to post with our real names, which is what bnet was back then because tags didnt exist.
This would be terrible for RP forums. People switch between characters of different races, classes, backgrounds and views to post there, switching to battletag would completely kill it.
Why can't I post without avatar and just with a random name like: forumuser462783?

My character, my collection and my achievements have nothing to do with my posts on the forum, people will notice it anyway if someone is talking about something they've no clue about..
Those who don't want people tracking them down on the forums tend to just post with a level 1 or low level alt.

I personally don't feel the need to hide my main char but some do.
I find using a characters Achievement/Raid history against them in a discussion as the height of futility to further a point; why can't a Forum contribution be taken as the wording submitted...?

If someone doesn't like a particular aspect of WoW, why do they have to have taken part in it to not like the principle of it...? Can I - for example - not like PvP as a principle without my HK total/MMR ranking being held against me? I have next to no HK, because I don't like - therefore I have not done a great deal of - PvP.
26/10/2018 14:36Posted by Eighjan
I find using a characters Achievement/Raid history against them in a discussion as the height of futility to further a point; why can't a Forum contribution be taken as the wording submitted...?

ppl are extremely sensitive to false arguments; verecundiams (the one you bring up, or status argument), populum, hominem.
In principle i am all in favor of excluding those as much as possible, bc a pure discussion is not about those. There are however a few verecundians that do have some basis to them, but they should never exceed rational/logic debate.
All in all i agree.

But it should also be anonimous, for a number of reasons. One of them is that if it is not, it will end up in false argumentation again.
I agree with OP. Anonymity is fine, but lack of post history is not. So at least make post history show all the player's posts, no matter on which character they were made.
Exactly... have a link to post history for consistency of viewpoint, but no links to Achievements (by all means show a total, to indicate that you've played the game), as they shouldn't form the basis for whether a opinion about an aspect of the game has any foundation.

I don't have to have done any Mythic Raiding at level to know that I wouldn't want to be part of it... rather do it later, with a cpl. friends.
26/10/2018 14:51Posted by Shumensko
I agree with OP. Anonymity is fine, but lack of post history is not. So at least make post history show all the player's posts, no matter on which character they were made.

No.
For a short time, your Battletag was displayed alongside your character name on the forums. However, the community pushed back against that really hard, so Blizzard removed that.
26/10/2018 14:36Posted by Eighjan
Can I - for example - not like PvP as a principle without my HK total/MMR ranking being held against me?

Ofc you can. The issue is when you start arguing with people that do have experience in it on various aspects of it. Stuff like "Mythic raiding is easy, you people wiping for 3 weeks are all scrubs!" - without having ever set foot in one.

26/10/2018 15:14Posted by Danellos
For a short time, your Battletag was displayed alongside your character name on the forums. However, the community pushed back against that really hard, so Blizzard removed that.

I remember the forum revolution back then, but I don't remember the thing actually being implemented even for a short while.
26/10/2018 15:14Posted by Danellos
How is posting on Diablo (3?) Forums regulated differently, to allow for generic posting avatars? That's the system that should be universal across all Blizzard Game Forums.
I actually find my avatar pretty useful being able to link to the armory. If there was still a way to scroll down to my characters it wouldn't bother me having an avatar that basically was like for the account and not the character. Doesn't matter in truth.

That Real ID saga pretty much caused the forum to explode. Never seen anything like it in all my years of being here. Caused a massive uproar and reaction from the community so I doubt that will happen again.
Ofc you can. The issue is when you start arguing with people that do have experience in it on various aspects of it. Stuff like "Mythic raiding is easy, you people wiping for 3 weeks are all scrubs!" - without having ever set foot in one.
That's the kind of futility I referred to, earlier... just watching the Mythic Uldir race proves that wiping is part of progress & those who deny it usually are the ones with zero experience; if it was possible to clear Mythic Uldir clinically, it wouldn't have taken a week to do.
Whats next, seperate child boards depending on posters levels? [rolleyes]

For example...
1-9, 10-20, all the way upto 120.
25/10/2018 13:18Posted by Savoren
This would be terrible for RP forums. People switch between characters of different races, classes, backgrounds and views to post there, switching to battletag would completely kill it.

It would also be terrible for answering "Help" posts, where being able to find a character's achievements, collections, quests and performance is critical to know how to advise them.

I do strongly believe that people reading a post should be able to see previous posts by the same person, so that they can understand the context, know what that person has said before, take into account any discrepancies. That's why I kept the same name when I started posting from the shadows.

Having said that, there are a couple of further specific issues:

1. Posting with BattleTag opens people up to spam messages; that's a downside.

2. Some people want to ask the forum about things that happened to them in-game without exposing themselves to the people they're talking about. A couple of cases I can think of where I found it justified are where people want to ask advice on whether they should stay in a guild where something is not working for them, and people who are being harrassed.