my mental health > Your game.

General
my mental health > Your game.

You've shelled our classes in the past, you've cut off our limbs and glued them back on the wrong way around and trampled our hearts repeatedly.

My mangled class isn't coming back, you don't care and you won't just sit down for 2 hours and work out what it is we're supposed to be.

That's all it takes, 2 hours and a bit of motivation but I suppose most of your staff are too busy in the on-site squash courts and cycling around your nice smooth paths to give a raspberry.

We as a subscriber base pump money into your game and you've stripped it of its depth, its core RPG elements and its character.

No more do I see the fun cameos and references to cool bands and movies. No longer can I 1v1 any other class than a mage as a Warlock. I'm not having fun anymore. Most of my time is spent playing dress up with the ethereals and figuring out how to break my class mechanics so they're viable in PvP and scare other players into not tunneling me like brain dead apes.

I'm done. You clearly have the biggest playerbase but you evidently have lost touch with what it means to develop an immersive MMORPG. Today you develop this game as if you're trying to make everyone feel like a winner with no effort and that World of Warcraft is a skin for Devil May Cry.

I'm done, get lost.

My mental health > warlocks.
15/10/2018 13:07Posted by Abacabb
World of Warcraft is a skin for Devil May Cry.

Hey hey hey, let's be reasonable here. As campy as Devil May Cry can be at least it's fun to play, that's more than I can say for BfA at the moment.

But it should be pointed out that the context for one of the devs saying "My mental health > your game" was because people were being awful to them on twitter. Sure, you shouldn't be awful to people but if your mental health is affected by something as trivial as twitter then frankly how could you handle any job that comes with responsibility? The dev needs to grow a pair.

Going from BfA however, it seems that their drinking > our game because it would explain an awful lot of the intentional design decisions.
15/10/2018 13:13Posted by Yonrielle
As campy as Devil May Cry can be at least it's fun to play, that's more than I can say for BfA at the moment.

Why are you still here then?

I once tried Fortnite. I didn't enjoy it, so I stopped playing it.

I didn't keep playing it, and I certainly didn't decide to spend a lot of time on the Fortnite forums telling everyone how much I didn't enjoy Fortnite.

I just stopped and spent my time playing other games, games that I do enjoy.

What is it with WoW that makes it capable of keeping people around who seemingly don't enjoy the game?

I shall never understand this mentality. It defies all logic to me.
what he said but for DPS DK 's, specifically our viability in PVP!
15/10/2018 13:07Posted by Abacabb
World of Warcraft is a skin for Devil May Cry.

Hey hey hey, let's be reasonable here. As campy as Devil May Cry can be at least it's fun to play, that's more than I can say for BfA at the moment.

But it should be pointed out that the context for one of the devs saying "My mental health > your game" was because people were being awful to them on twitter. Sure, you shouldn't be awful to people but if your mental health is affected by something as trivial as twitter then frankly how could you handle any job that comes with responsibility? The dev needs to grow a pair.

Going from BfA however, it seems that their drinking > our game because it would explain an awful lot of the intentional design decisions.

Oh get over yourself and leave. Your incessant need to validate your negative views over and over again is proof you may not enjoy the game but that is not how others feel. As someone else pointed out if you don't like a game stop playing it rather than continue to be subscribed to stay here and moan even more.

Quite pathetic and sad really.
15/10/2018 13:21Posted by Jito

I've already stopped, just thought I might as well post on the forums until my game time runs out.

What is it with WoW that makes it capable of keeping people around who seemingly don't enjoy the game?

I shall never understand this mentality. It defies all logic to me

Investment in the game. It's part and parcel of an MMO, I dare say it's one of the main attractions, it's the kind of game you don't just play, but it's a game you can invest your time into and enjoy the dividends.

The obvious one will be social circles. How many people playing today would have unsubbed if they didn't have a good circle of friends/a good guild to play with? I have heard that is quite a common excuse for people to stay with the game even if it's going through a rough patch.

Then there are other investments depending on what tickles you. Personally I found a fair amount of joy in collecting battle pets and giving them silly names. If i lost that I'd be disappointed, and it certainly would make me less likely to come back.

You can also invest your skills into this game, aside from taking the time and the effort to understand the game on a mechanical level once you've done it I find you can get quite a lot of joy in trying to figure out min/maxing tactics, like "When's the best time to use this cooldown" or "Can i squeeze an extra cooldown here?", or "Can i pull a bigger pack and use this cooldown to survive?". Sadly these choices have been reduced significantly in BfA, but otherwise this kind of investment can invigorate otherwise simple content.

But if you're wondering "Why invest yourself in this way into something like a game?", well the answer is to a lot of people it's not just the game element that matters to them. MMO's are great because even if you're socially awkward like I am there's a good chance you'll find some kind of community, and this kind of investment gives you a place in it. You're the go-to tank, you're the helpful guy, you're the one that knows how to make money etc, and it's nice to be one of those guys than that quiet person in guild that you forget is there.

15/10/2018 13:26Posted by Áranaría

I'd rather annoy random people by talking about design philosophy than be stuck with the ignorance to even form an argument, let alone a solution.

EDIT:
As someone else pointed out if you don't like a game stop playing it rather than continue to be subscribed to stay here and moan even more.

I find that this attitude, without taking the time to explain yourself (since the box they give you when leaving is limited to 500 characters at best) is clumsy and overall detrimental to the game.

If I just left without a word, or with only the 500 character limit, what conclusions would blizzard draw? Did i leave because the classes were simplified too much, or not enough? Did i leave because azerite was too obtuse to use, or was it something I enjoyed? Did i like or loathe island expeditions? You won't care about the answers to these questions, but any game designer worth their salt must be able to answer them, and giving them clear explanations with as much detail as I can is better for them than just leaving them to guess.
As campy as Devil May Cry can be at least it's fun to play, that's more than I can say for BfA at the moment.

I didn't keep playing it, and I certainly didn't decide to spend a lot of time on the Fortnite forums telling everyone how much I didn't enjoy Fortnite.

Why must you react to eveery thread with your whiteknight posts

My view: WoW has been everything to them for such a long time, maybe since Vanilla. They invested the very blood of their life and instead of leaving they rage, rant and complain. More wood on the fire is being put by the famous youtubers/streamers, who are even more stuck because it's their income and can't leave no matter how much they want to.

All this is making a snow ball effect and I seriously consider this is the last xpack ever created.

Oh get over yourself and leave. Your incessant need to validate your negative views over and over again is proof you may not enjoy the game but that is not how others feel. As someone else pointed out if you don't like a game stop playing it rather than continue to be subscribed to stay here and moan even more.

You don't have a voice on this, this is your main and you don't seem to do any bloody content at all, not even LFR
If a game causes great disruptions in your mental health, then yeah, I think you should quit (video games in general tbh).
I've already stopped, just thought I might as well post on the forums until my game time runs out.

Again, why? I mean, if your interest in the game has already ceased, why not devote your time to something else at this point, something you enjoy?

I mean, you're basically spending time on a forum talking about a game you don't play, don't enjoy, and have no interest in. Why?!

I would never choose to spend my time on the sweater-knitting forums. Knitting sweaters is not something I would want to do, it's not something I would consider enjoyable, and it's not something I would have any interest in. So I obviously don't devote any time, resources, attention, thought or otherwise, to the sweater-knitting forums or anything related to that.

This "I might as well post" stems from what? What's the motivation behind that?

You can’t compare WoW with anyhing else.
People spent years and years getting really connected with the game/ their characters.

No game has ever been running for 14+ years.

Saying that people should quit WoW if they don’t enjoy it is like saying to drugaddict not to use drugs...

WoW has become addiction to many. It’s hard letting go something you hold dear and close to your heart for years! :)
15/10/2018 13:49Posted by Jito
Again, why? I mean, if your interest in the game has already ceased, why not devote your time to something else at this point, something you enjoy?

Did you even read the rest of my post? I enjoy talking about game design, design philosophy and when the mood strikes me design mathematics. World of warcraft is probably the game I've spent the most time playing and thinking about, it has reached towering heights in terms of design genius and plumbed absolute depths of stupidity.

What better game is there to talk about than the one that's been most important in your life? One that defied all expectations and grew into a massive giant, only to be caught in what seems to be a cycle of excessive stupidity and mismanagement?

I mean, you're basically spending time on a forum talking about a game you don't play, don't enjoy, and have no interest in. Why?!

I never said I have no interest in it. I will probably always have an interest in world of warcraft unless it eventually gets shut down.
I would never choose to spend my time on the sweater-knitting forums. Knitting sweaters is not something I would want to do, it's not something I would consider enjoyable, and it's not something I would have any interest in. So I obviously don't devote any time, resources, attention, thought or otherwise, to the sweater-knitting forums or anything related to that.

Knitting is very therapeutic, I think the OP should try it. Even Sly Stallones character did it in Demolition man as a therapy.

This "I might as well post" stems from what? What's the motivation behind that?

Trolling I suppose.
But it should be pointed out that the context for one of the devs saying "My mental health > your game" was because people were being awful to them on twitter.

Whoever said this should be fired instantly because it clearly shows that he does not value this game/his job enough. This game is played by millions and is worth much more than his entire life so if he can't sacrifice that much and give his best to do it he should be working in a local bakery and not in a big company like blizzard.
Did you even read the rest of my post? I enjoy talking about game design, design philosophy and when the mood strikes me design mathematics.

Yeah I can follow that. I'd say it's one of the reasons I find myself lurking on the forums too.
But if your enjoyment of the game has hit rock bottom, doesn't your angle on all its design and development boil down to something like: "Yeah this sucks, that's terrible, and I think it all stinks!"
Or in your own words:

Doesn't that get tiresome in the long run? Constantly having to put forth negative emotions and thoughts about a game you no longer enjoy? I would find it exhausting if every time I went to the WoW forums I had to envelop myself in miserable thoughts and feelings about a game I have come to dislike.
15/10/2018 14:08Posted by Jito
"Yeah this sucks, that's terrible, and I think it all stinks!"

That's why I try to explain my opinions. I've done it in plenty of other threads, as have many others. Thought it might get tiresome to keep posting walls of text over and over again, particularly when they're tangentally related to the topic at best.

But fair is fair, such a glib comment isn't exactly constructive but at the moment I struggle to even think of any logic that went into something as foolish as say making the azerite system turn out as it has. It seems to amplify every bad aspect of the legion artifact system (endless boring grind, dull benefits, getting unlucky with drops, traits being less interesting than secondary stats) while removing set bonuses that at times provided an interesting twist on your playstyle for a raid tier and removing the legendary perks that, despite many flaws in the system, did at least offer interesting mechanical improvements to your spec.

Every possible advantage azerite armour could have had has been undermined by what I can only attribute to thoughtlessness (which should be considered a shameful failure for any game designer) or willful stupidity (which should be considered an unacceptable, shameful failure for any human being). What is the payoff for the system being designed this way?

Or in your own words:

Doesn't that get tiresome in the long run? Constantly having to put forth negative emotions and thoughts about a game you no longer enjoy? I would find it exhausting if every time I went to the WoW forums I had to envelop myself in miserable thoughts and feelings about a game I have come to dislike

Sometimes, but it's the price of having fun. It's like if you really enjoy running or something, sooner or later your legs are going to get sore. Besides, I don't focus on the negative, i focus on the joy of exploring the possibilities of what might have been, debatably what should have been. Just sit back and imagine what you could come up with something as broad as the azerite system, island expeditions or warfronts if you were in blizzards place.

Then realise what they did with them instead.
15/10/2018 13:50Posted by Jareb

Tibia has.
15/10/2018 14:34Posted by Yannila

Tibia has.

NO KING RULES FOREVER MY SON...
15/10/2018 14:34Posted by Yannila

Tibia has.

I'll add Diablo II: LoD to that list.
17 years now and I still occasionally take that game for a spin.