Change Muscle Memory

General
Greetings!

I have been using some very bad keybindings these last months and now i'm having a hard time changing my muscle memory too my new ones.

I used most of them just because I thought it was comfortable, like E & Q being bind to 1 & 2.

I just changed most of my keybinds to be more "effective" and I really want to change my muscle memory to adapt to my new keybindings but I am having a really hard time. Any tips?

Have a nice day/night!
Well, it wouldn't be "memory" if it could be changed that easy.

Just keep going at it, it doesn't really take that long in practice. Most of the common stuff will be back into shape within 1-3 days and the rarer cooldowns in a week or so.

Try PvP which will get you into situations that will get you to think about how you should have used the cooldowns and mr. brain will slowly build the connection.
Well, let me give an example. For many years warriors had to use battle shout every minute or so, which meant that every 30 seconds I pressed the button. Then battle shout was changed to be on a longer cooldown before it was changed to an hour buff now. After the first change it took me about two years to stop using my old keybinding every 30 seconds, alt+F2 in my case.

This is probably an extreme case, so it should take you shorter to extinguish your muscle memory. This doesn't mean it's gone though. If you keep using the old keybindings by mistake it will be harder to stop doing them.

Try your best to avoid them and practise the new ones extensively and in most cases you should be adept at your new keybindings within a week.
27/10/2018 21:05Posted by Dunsparrow
Well, let me give an example. For many years warriors had to use battle shout every minute or so

misinformation, it was 2 minutes UNTALENTED, if i recall correctly it was 3 minutes talented (any guild with a competent rl will force one of the warriors to 5/5 this)
so it was misused rage, or lack of a raid leader

me:
warrior stances were f4 to f6
boring rotation 1 to 7
druid forms are still f4 to f6
personal experience taught me to reserve q+e for movement, i have fat fingers so this may or may not be a good choice for you
i always have interrupts on T
movement boosts on F1 (dash,sprint,spirit wolf,devine steed etc)
any kind of self heal CAST on R (even if it means you have to double bind when you play hybrid classes)
damaging abilities that also do self heal (such as drain life, impending victory) on G
any kind of mass slowing on V
mass CC such as shadowfury or capacitor totem, or trinkets, go on side mouse buttons
fear or cc on F (if class with multiple cc, one goes to F the other goes to F4)
etc etc
any kind of execute on middle mouse (this can be literally painful if you have a bad mouse :P)
basically you have to categorize the spells in a way so no matter what class you playing you won't have to think twice, that's on you, the way you make connections in your brain and all that
i still have to think twice while pressing "`" but thats wrong and i know it but i still keep doing it
for all other classes "`" is mount, for rogue it's stealth
You just have to keep at it and ignore the temptation to use what you're used to. I switched from using my number keys to a multi button mouse a few years ago and it took me quite a few hours of play to stop using the keyboard, but now I barely think about it.

You'll get there :)
Just spent some dedicated time at training dummies, doing that for a while will get you used to new bindings.
Just spent some dedicated time at training dummies, doing that for a while will get you used to new bindings.

That's what I do and it works great. :p
27/10/2018 21:51Posted by Hthonia
27/10/2018 21:05Posted by Dunsparrow
Well, let me give an example. For many years warriors had to use battle shout every minute or so

misinformation, it was 2 minutes UNTALENTED, if i recall correctly it was 3 minutes talented (any guild with a competent rl will force one of the warriors to 5/5 this)
so it was misused rage, or lack of a raid leader

I wasn't talking about raids. As for the specific duration of the buff I did say "or so", because it was so long ago I didn't remember with 100% accuracy.

Way to go for missing the point I was making though.
basically you have to categorize the spells in a way so no matter what class you playing you won't have to think twice, that's on you, the way you make connections in your brain and all that

This is excellent advice. I use similar types of spells on different classes with the same keybindings too. It makes playing different alts much more pleasurable.
27/10/2018 23:55Posted by Dunsparrow

This is excellent advice. I use similar types of spells on different classes with the same keybindings too. It makes playing different alts much more pleasurable.

That indeed really helps.
I often cringe at peoples UI/binds completely different for every class/spec they play.
On the subject of "effective" keybinds, honestly it doesn't matter too much what keybinds you use as long as you are comfortable with them. Your skill is not defined by the keybinds you use. There's a top league of legends player who plays on a laptop with a track pad rather than a mouse, and a former pro player who plays with an old trackball mouse.
You simply spam your new binds when your abilities are up until it becomes your second nature again, that is the fastes way
Repetition
My advice is that no binds are bad, keep what you felt comfortable with.

I've seen clickers play top level pvp and pve, following the " norm " of what's the best is usually why alot of people stay average and never excell at what they do.

But if you're dead set on these new keybinds, I guess practise makes perfect.
Just play the game, I have similar keybinds on all classes I play so I never really forget how to play them.
Just go to a training dummy, wallop it for about 10 minutes straight then start doing alot of basic dungeons the old binds will phase out eventually
It can help to start a new alt to get used to each new keypress as you add only a few skills at a time.
Same here but I go even further, I actually have all games setup in the same way but here is how my WoW bindings look like:

ASD/Shift S - Move Forward, Strafe Left/Right, Move Backward.

QWER/Alt/Shift + QWER -Damaging spells.

123 - Defensive spells.

Shift 123 - Power abilities and healing spells.

Alt 123 - Arena macros.

4 - Nothing so far.

5/6 - Resurrection spells.

7890/Shift/Ctrl/Alt + 7890 - These are used from my mouse for WoW macros.

X/Shift + X - Stun and interrupt spells.

Alt + X - Racial spell.

Alt + F - PvP medallion spell.

F/Shift + F - Slow spells and such.

Space/Shift/Ctrl + Space - Mobility and speed spells.

G - Glider.

Mouse button 4 - Jump.

Shift/Ctrl/Alt + Mouse button 4 - Mounts.
Just endure it, and don't revert the change. It will feel normal in a while.
27/10/2018 23:55Posted by Dunsparrow

I do the same thing. My default is a slightly different based on the role, but the specs within a role are build to have similar keybinds.