Rewriting the BFA Pre-events

Story
So for starters.
the Battle for Lordaeron and the Battle for Teldrassil happens about the same time.

the Leaders are split the following.

Horde

BoT
-Saurfang
-Gallyxiv
-Rokhan.
-Baine
BoL.
-Sylvanas
-Nathanos
-Lor'themar theron.

Alliance
BoT.
-Malfurion
-Tyrande
-Shandris

BoL
-Anduin
-Genn
-Alleria
-Gelbin
-(Jaina)

All over the top feats are removed like the Jaian's ship or Malfurion's spirit wall.
the Night elves are at full force within Darkshore and the two Factions are split between two fronts.

the Horde manages to defeat the Night elves and push them back to the Tree Malfurion get's presumed dead within the narrative 'taken down'
By Azerite weaponry.
the Burning of Teldrassil no longer takes place due to a stupid hizzy fit.
But instead because Gallyxiv wants to show off a new azerite weapon.
One of a kind that destroys the Tree and weakens the Night elves.
Tyrande goes into Mourning the ''death'' of Malfurion for now and the lost lives of her people.

Meanwhile the Alliance are still plagued by the forsaken, but instead of Jaina flying down with her boat Alleria and Jaina open up portals with the Gnome anti plague infantry appearing upon their striders and freezing guns to neutralize the plague.
Gel leads the charge dropping an azerite frost bomb to open a path into the keep.

the Horde forces are still pushed back and retreats Sylvanas springs her trap and Jaina saves everyone.

the Prison break still happens in Stormwind except Saurfang is not there.
the Alliance however get's summoned by Broll that wants to find Malfurion that he believes that he is not yet dead.

Together with Broll they sneak about the conquered Darkshore avoiding Horde forces and learning that Saurfang, Rokhan and Baine are also trying to find -Malfurion's corpse- To confirm his death.

Thoughts or any suggestions?
If Sylvanas wasn´t present at Darkshore the Horde commander would have been Saurfang, and he would have never allowed Gallywix to use that weapon.

What I like is the fact that, for both battles to happen at the same time, the Alliance had to march on Lordaeron before knowing about the attack on Teldrassil, so that would feel more proactive and "morally grey" than the reactive battle we experienced.

It would make no sense for Anduin to start a war, but hey, it they twisted it for Saurfang to find motivations, illogical as they might be, I´m sure they could also come up with some weird excuses for Anduin too.
The whole thing could’ve been fixed VERY easily: Sylvanas didn’t burn Teldrassil.

Some third party that wants both factions going at each other did it and framed her.

The rest remained the same. With the exception that Saurfang and not Rexxar is the one that attacks Kul Tiras to prevent them from assisting the Alliance in this war.
The Alliance behaves exactly as it has, with all leaders assuming it was indeed Sylvanas the one that destroyed the tree.
And the Horde fights back the escalated war.
But without the whole plot about Saurfang going AWOL.

Really, from my point of view, it was really THAT simple.
31/10/2018 11:43Posted by Lightblade
If Sylvanas wasn´t present at Darkshore the Horde commander would have been Saurfang, and he would have never allowed Gallywix to use that weapon.

What I like is the fact that, for both battles to happen at the same time, the Alliance had to march on Lordaeron before knowing about the attack on Teldrassil, so that would feel more proactive and "morally grey" than the reactive battle we experienced.

It would make no sense for Anduin to start a war, but hey, it they twisted it for Saurfang to find motivations, illogical as they might be, I´m sure they could also come up with some weird excuses for Anduin too.

For now this rewrite is just conceptional changes at hand and not big narrative changers.
But well if you want a reason for Anduin to head to war?
the SI:7 learns of the Horde force preparing to assault the Night elves.
Anduin wants to take his armies and support his allies, but then Genn and Shaw mentions that Sylvanas herself is in the Undercity marshalling her forces to likely attack Strom.
Seeing as the Alliance can quicker move against the Horde's second attack wave.
Anduin takes his forces up north alongside Genn, and the others mentioned stays behind preparing a large portal in the case of defeat or need of further forces how does that sound?

31/10/2018 11:49Posted by Zarao
he whole thing could’ve been fixed VERY easily: Sylvanas didn’t burn Teldrassil.

Some third party that wants both factions going at each other did it and framed her.

The rest remained the same. With the exception that Saurfang and not Rexxar is the one that attacks Kul Tiras to prevent them from assisting the Alliance in this war.
The Alliance behaves exactly as it has, with all leaders assuming it was indeed Sylvanas the one that destroyed the tree.
And the Horde fights back the escalated war.
But without the whole plot about Saurfang going AWOL.

Really, from my point of view, it was really THAT simple.

True.
but hardly interesting as a story.
about a faction war.
instead I have made Gallyxiv the one who did it using a weapon, which we can now conclude from the first poster after me was not authorized by Saurfang.
Leading to disagreements between the two.

Which is hardly surprising.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T3ohHyceTA
I would just change 1 minor thing, Tyrande kills Saurfang when he is with Malfurion.

It would give Horde motivation to get very very angry.
It would be better motivation for Teldrassil then just "killing hope".
Tyrange fans have "OP moment" + its real that she kill someone who want to kill her husband.
We have war, Horde wants revenge about Saurfang, Alliance wants revenge for Teldrassil. Both faction feel in some way "right" in fighting each other.
31/10/2018 11:59Posted by Durlan
instead I have made Gallyxiv the one who did it using a weapon, which we can now conclude from the first poster after me was authorized by Saurfang.

Thing is, and hope you don’t mind me saying so, I just can’t picture Gallywix going down this road.

He is a sneaky and morally bankrupt character. But he is intelligent.
He knows about subtlety and also has some moral line that holds him back regarding his actions.

We could see this in the Blank Scroll short story, where he was given custody over a literal WMD and decided to lock it away to protect the world and his people.

That’s why I feel like a scenario where he burns down the tree is unlikely. Even if looked from a selfish point of view, he wouldn’t kill all those civilians becuase it would paint a gigantic target on him and his Cartel. And thats bad for business.

The only way I could see this work, is if Gallywix tried what you say to obliterate the Night elf navy, but because of his weapon malfunctioning, he ends up blowing the tree.
31/10/2018 12:12Posted by Zarao
instead I have made Gallyxiv the one who did it using a weapon, which we can now conclude from the first poster after me was authorized by Saurfang.

Thing is, and hope you don’t mind me saying so, I just can’t picture Gallywix going down this road.

He is a sneaky and morally bankrupt character. But he is intelligent.
He knows about subtlety and also has some moral line that holds him back regarding his actions.

We could see this in the Blank Scroll short story, where he was given custody over a literal WMD and decided to lock it away to protect the world and his people.

That’s why I feel like a scenario where he burns down the tree is unlikely. Even if looked from a selfish point of view, he wouldn’t kill all those civilians becuase it would paint a gigantic target on him and his Cartel. And thats bad for business.

The only way I could see this work, is if Gallywix tried what you say to obliterate the Night elf navy, but because of his weapon malfunctioning, he ends up blowing the tree.

Exactly.
a weapon empowered with Azerite causes the destruction.
further validating the power of Azerite as a whole.
Making the race for it more fruitful.

Right now let us be honest.
Azerite does not feel that special.

it was hyped up on at the start of the conflict but now?
it is just a resource popping up everywhere that barely does anything super special for people.
So how exactly are you going to allow the Night Elves at full force to get defeated that easily before the other Alliance nations mobilize against you? How does this fix any of the flaws in the current WoT event we have now?
I have a solution.

Have the Alliance attack Lordearon first. Varian's death being the most prominent of reasons.

This way, the Horde actually IS threatened and could actually rally behind a single goal for once.

The Alliance gets to be proactive for once and not feel like they are forced to turn the other cheek for once. This time, we would be going for the throat due to all the crap that's already happened instead of talking about the power of friendship.
31/10/2018 14:33Posted by Frozengrip
So how exactly are you going to allow the Night Elves at full force to get defeated that easily before the other Alliance nations mobilize against you? How does this fix any of the flaws in the current WoT event we have now?

Fix? The current state of Night elves isn’t as buoyant as to enable them to fend off the armies of 4 different races any more than they did. And I’m talking about Durlan scenario here.
Just as I wouldn’t expect Sylvanas/Nathanos, to fend off single-handedly, the combined armies of 5 different Alliance armies. Again, going by Durlan scenario.

Now, in lore we had Night elves being overwhelmingly outnumbered in WoT, and fighting commanders that knew how they battled. Really, assuming they are to fare any better than they did in a fight where they are outnumbered 8 to 1, is just being delusional.
And still they managed to fare pretty good.

What else do you want? If the bar is set on “The combined armies of the Horde are no match to the Night elf army alone”....obviously you’ll have some serious disappointment.
31/10/2018 14:38Posted by Halasibel
I have a solution.

Have the Alliance attack Lordearon first. Varian's death being the most prominent of reasons.

This way, the Horde actually IS threatened and could actually rally behind a single goal for once.

The Alliance gets to be proactive for once and not feel like they are forced to turn the other cheek for once. This time, we would be going for the throat due to all the crap that's already happened instead of talking about the power of friendship.

This was my ideal Plan B. It would’ve made so much more sense....

Azerite weaponry.

I have a solution.

This is of course also a very good solution.
Sadly we already know you would never be able to convince Aduin to Sanction a war with out twisting his hand behind his back, gag him and put a gun to his forhead.
31/10/2018 14:42Posted by Zarao
Fix? The current state of Night elves isn’t as buoyant as to enable them to fend off the armies of 4 different races any more than they did. And I’m talking about Durlan scenario here.
Just as I wouldn’t expect Sylvanas/Nathanos, to fend off single-handedly, the combined armies of 5 different Alliance armies. Again, going by Durlan scenario.Now, in lore we had Night elves being overwhelmingly outnumbered in WoT, and fighting commanders that knew how they battled. Really, assuming they are to fare any better than they did in a fight where they are outnumbered 8 to 1, is just being delusional.
And still they managed to fare pretty good.

You are jumping to conclusions, if the Night Elves are at full strength then the Horde wouldn't be able to break them in time before the rest of the Alliance comes. Look at how long they took to break the Night Elves in the WoT. Even without the Wisp Wall you amount of troops what would bluster their defectives alone would be massive. And perhaps even their ambush/flank from Felwood would fail because of it.

They would no longer be overwhelmingly outnumbered and they could play to their strengths a lot more. This is also not to mention Malfurion would still be kicking around (considering he only puts he gets presumed kill at the end) and them having to get through Ashenvale as well. Meaning that the Night Elven forces weren't tricked and should be ready for them.

I am not being delusional in the slightest.

31/10/2018 14:42Posted by Zarao
What else do you want? If the bar is set on “The combined armies of the Horde are no match to the Night elf army alone”....obviously you’ll have some serious disappointment.

Better writing perhaps? Not replace one bad scenario with another.

Azerite weaponry.

Because that clearly worked so well in the current timeline...
You are jumping to conclusions, if the Night Elves are at full strength then the Horde wouldn't be able to break them in time before the rest of the Alliance comes. Look at how long they took to break the Night Elves in the WoT we had, even without the Wisp Wall you amount of troops what would bluster their defectives alone would be massive. And perhaps even their ambush/flank from Felwood would fail because of it.

They would no longer be overwelmingly outnumbered and they could play to their strengths a lot more. This is also not to mention Malfurion would still be kicking around (considering he only puts he gets presumed kill at the end) and them having to get through Ashenvale as well. Meaning that the Night Elven forces weren't tricked and should be ready for them.

I am not being delusional in the slightest.

I think you missed the part where the Alliance of the EK is fighting the Horde there, and the Horde in KD is fighting the Night elves.
with empowered Azerite weaponry.
and Gally can have made some very interesting things.
You are jumping to conclusions, if the Night Elves are at full strength then the Horde wouldn't be able to break them in time before the rest of the Alliance comes.

Why? The fleet did in fact arrive after their detour, and still they lost.
Garrosh proved it in Wolfheart, the night elves are unprepared for a massive invasion of their forests.

Malfurion alone can’t salvage that. He was countered by Sylvanas in A Good War.

I mean, this isn’t even trying to insult Night elves or call them weak or anything.
A single army CANT fight and defeat four prepared enemy armies that know how to battle them.

And make time for the rest of the Alliance army to come? Given Durlan scenario they are fighting Sylvanas in UC. How are they going to come?
ask bronze dragons
31/10/2018 14:51Posted by Durlan
I think you missed the part where the Alliance of the EK is fighting the Horde there, and the Horde in KD is fighting the Night elves.
with empowered Azerite weaponry.
and Gally can have made some very interesting things.

Then I am going to wonder where the Horde numbers swelled to the point of it being completely unbelievable. And I am going to wonder how Sylvanas made so many Azerite weapons to completely tip the scales.
I know numbers and WoW have never made sense but come on.

Blood Elves wouldn't be able to send their forces to Kali so that is a portion gone, neither would Sylvanas and especially if she is being threatened back at home. So there goes another chuck of the Hordes main force in Kali'. If war is already broke out then I am going to wonder why the Draenei and Lightforged are still not prepared enough to join in the defense of the Night Elves lands so there is another problem in that.

If the Horde is able to assemble so many Azerite weapons to tip the scales back then why didn't Magni or the ER get involved? And told her to cut it out? Why the CC didn't get involved and the list goes on.

31/10/2018 14:57Posted by Zarao
Why? The fleet did in fact arrive after their detour, and still they lost.
Garrosh proved it in Wolfheart, the night elves are unprepared for a massive invasion of their forests.

What the Alliance fleet actually landed? Where is this exactly because it is the first time I have heard it.

And luckily Sylvanas isn't Garrosh then? And the points I have made previously cuts down the Horde numbers by a lot.

Malfurion alone can’t salvage that. He was countered by Sylvanas in A Good War.

"countered", ye sure. If we are also fighting in the EK then why would she lead troops in Kali' instead of EK?

I mean, this isn’t even trying to insult Night elves or call them weak or anything.
A single army CANT fight and defeat four prepared enemy armies that know how to battle them.

But in this scenario the Night Elves are also prepared, and like I said previously these 4 armies have been cut down a lot in numbers.

And make time for the rest of the Alliance army to come? Given Durlan scenario they are fighting Sylvanas in UC. How are they going to come?

The Draenei then, if the war has already begun in both EK and Kali' then why are they so far behind?
31/10/2018 15:06Posted by Frozengrip
The Draenei then, if the war has already begun in both EK and Kali' then why are they so far behind?

as stated by Anduin I believe the Novel before the Storm.
They exhausted all of their resources and most of their man power for the crusade against Argus.
You do seem them in the assault of siege of Lordaeron yes.
But that was at best a token force.
31/10/2018 14:47Posted by Durlan

Azerite weaponry.

I have a solution.

This is of course also a very good solution.
Sadly we already know you would never be able to convince Aduin to Sanction a war with out twisting his hand behind his back, gag him and put a gun to his forhead.

I had the idea that after the Legion was dealt with, both factions would start the process of rebuilding.

Sylvanas would still believe that everlasting peace would not be possible so she would seek to fortify the Horde's outposts. She would not seek war, but she would prepare for one. "If You want peace, be prepared for war" philosophy. She would still hope (that's got to be a meme at this point...) that there will be no more wars, because in my headcannon she would really care for the Horde's races. She would start treating them as her children.

But the common folk of the Alliance, without the Legion's threat would start talking about what they believe was the Horde's betrayal at the Broken Shore. They would talk about Varian and cry over his death. In short time people of the Alliance would start raising their voices and calling for vengeance. Anduin would try to calm that unrest but with Genn and Jaina whispering to his ears sweet warlike nothings, he would have no support in his desire for peace.

The tensions would rise. Not only the death of Varian would be talked about, but in their anger, people would start remembering everything else. Sin'dorei betrayal (common folk's perspective, not a fact), the first wars against the orcs (most people still remember them!), the Horde under Garrosh, the fact that Lordearon is still held by the undead (conveniently ommiting the part that those undead are Lordearonians) and so on and so on.

Anduin would be pushed into declaring the war. He would be placed basically into Sylvanas' mindset from A Good War - "the war will come anyway, because this is the vile Horde, so we might as well do it now".

The fact that Sylvanas would be strengthening the Horde's holdings would empower the warlike tendencies of the Alliance even further. She strengthens her position so she must be seeking to declare a war, right?

The High King snaps. A war it is. We march for Lordearon and the rest plays out like it did in-game.
31/10/2018 15:12Posted by Durlan
as stated by Anduin I believe the Novel before the Storm.
They exhausted all of their resources and most of their man power for the crusade against Argus.
You do seem them in the assault of siege of Lordaeron yes.
But that was at best a token force.

So where are these token forces in Darkshore then? If the war has already begun then any/all forces would be sent to Ashenvale. And considering at how much destruction a single Lightforged Warframe can do then having them or any other siege weapons in Ashenvale would still be massive and better than nothing.

This all adds up.