PVP scaling in BFA is inefficient

Battlegrounds
Hey, just so it's clear : I like the fact that we have more control over itemization in pvp now, but seriously I prefered when skills mattered more than gear ( >in Legion). I feel like we are back in BC with the new system. I can't actually see a difference, and i have to say it felt much better knowing you could enter a pvp instance and actually be on a somewhat equal footing with your opponents (10 ilvl used to be a 1% buff). now if you bring an undergeared toon to a bg, you get destroyed.
Templates were actually good, don't know why people hated them.
Skills didn't matter as much as what class and spec you played. My very undergeared monk outdamaged my frost DK hard, and I had no clue on how to play monk.

I'm happier the way things are now, not saying it's perfect but better than legion imo.
Was NOT talking about class balance. Game has forever been unbalanced in that respect, I am trying to touch on how gear has come back as a parameter in PVP and imo in too big a way.
Do you have any proof that it is not "git gud" kind of problem?
12/10/2018 08:46Posted by Jalisco
Templates were actually good, don't know why people hated them.
loads of varying playstyles within seperate talent specs due to gear with nearly all secondary stat combinations during draenor means that while there were 5 ways to play your spec before Legion and after the templates everyone got shoehorned in the same playstyle
there are videos on you tube of people doing the same damage or more with old gear from cataclysm, you can kill people who have 50 ilvl more than you or get killed by people having 50 ilvl less, you can even get killed by people level 80 when you're level 120 with 380 ilvl. You can play naked it's basically the same. They use the gear as a carrot for keeping you in game but it's actually worthless. What you're actually feeling is the class unbalance, some class are ovepowered and some are sh**. They ruined the feeling of progression and they can't even balance the game. And they're mocking you into thinking you need to play to gear yourself. SAD.
12/10/2018 14:23Posted by Lalakna
there are videos on you tube of people doing the same damage or more with old gear from cataclysm, you can kill people who have 50 ilvl more than you or get killed by people having 50 ilvl less, you can even get killed by people level 80 when you're level 120 with 380 ilvl. You can play naked it's basically the same. They use the gear as a carrot for keeping you in game but it's actually worthless. What you're actually feeling is the class unbalance, some class are ovepowered and some are sh**. They ruined the feeling of progression and they can't even balance the game. And they're mocking you into thinking you need to play to gear yourself. SAD.

While I don't believe at all this hype that you can just destroy a 385 geared person with a cataclysm geared toon, I do believe that the system exists, as I have witnessed pillars hugging rogues being PLd by Resto Shamans in Arenas that were vastly more difficult to kill than the ilevel difference would suggest. I also agree that it's hard to delineate what comes from class balance from what comes from gear, but from my perspective it looks like gear is the real problem. I still destroyed that rogue, and that 385 fury warrior destroyed my boomkin in every situation, cds or not. I felt like the game should be more compressed, like it was back in Legion, with less difference if you are geared or not. Sure if you have better gear you should have an edge, but not that much of an edge.

12/10/2018 11:03Posted by Матахарих
Do you have any proof that it is not "git gud" kind of problem?
Do you have any proof that your question is not a "being a !@#$%^-" kind of question ? in more seriousness, you are implying that if i had more skills, i wouldn't be writing about how i believe the scaling isn't functionning. Please note that skill doesn't affect the problem here : With 2 different toons, one that is not geared (347 boomkin), that i have been playing for eons, one that is correctly geared (370 dh) that i play since this expansion, I have had the same experience. Obviously reversed on the my geared toon. I do play arena on both, and I had some satisfying kills on the boomkin, which (& the current pvp meta) suggest that boomkin is viable in pvp at the moment, and not suffering from class balance problems. Skills being the same, class balance not in question, it looks to me that this is pvp scaling issue & gear. (or maybe because on the DH I naturally stack versatility because it is a good stat for pve and i don't have enough of it on boomkin, but heck are those 4 % going to make that much of a difference ?)
cheers,
At lvl 119 I destroyed everyone with ease

At 120 I got destroyed by everyone with ease.

WB meta where mythic raiders destroy everyone with raid gear, in the past this problem was countered with the resilience stat on pvp gear from vendors.

But with that gone the meta is now favoring backpedaling raid heroes.

Trash... it's utter trash, templates were a great thing.
pvp is always trash at the beginning of an expansion. give it some time.

blizzle have fragged up all kinds of things, but they may yet recover.
12/10/2018 23:34Posted by Icesage
At lvl 119 I destroyed everyone with ease

At 120 I got destroyed by everyone with ease.

WB meta where mythic raiders destroy everyone with raid gear, in the past this problem was countered with the resilience stat on pvp gear from vendors.

I think the only gear that matters are your azerite pieces. Stacking traits can give some broken results. There is some kind of scaling in place. But nobody knows the details. There's enough video evidence of this. e.g a rogue using lvl 1 daggers and still doing roughly the same damage output.

I don't know what is going on. But templates weren't all that bad.
it's really weird, i played a little bit of warmode wich is really fun by the way, it's finally more equilibrated, and after a good fight i always watch the ilvl of my opponent in the armory, and there is actually no logic in the results like there was in the other xpac. i killed another warlock aff with 375 ilvl, 24 ilvl more than me like he was nothing, 2 times in a row. Then couldn't touch the hp of a rogue same ilvl than me, i would like to say it's just class related but then another rogue with more ilvl was hitting me like a noodle just after and i got him. And it''s always like that, the one thing i can say is that gear doesn't matter at all.
Do i get that right? For someone only playing casual PVP (random bgs) and hating the new instances and not raiding BfA is practically useless? Why oh why did they do that? I always had my niche with playing 3-4 random bgs every night. Now i got a class that is !@#$ in PVP and i won't get any good gear. So i can as well stop playing :(
12/10/2018 23:34Posted by Icesage

I destroy everyone and my pve gear is trash?

If you get into rated bgs you'll be showered with gear far better than what they can get. I think it's the first time since early BC that PVE'rs are envious of the PVPers.

Your playing a MMO, you decide to only do one thing in said mmo [non rated pvp or raids] People who invest more time/effort/player ability into the game are rewarded and that makes you annoyed that you can no longer compete with people who put more time into the game.

Thats kind of one of the main selling points of MMORPGS is character progression SMH.

Your playing a MMO, you decide to only do one thing in said mmo [non rated pvp or raids] People who invest more time/effort/player ability into the game are rewarded and that makes you annoyed that you can no longer compete with people who put more time into the game.

Yeah people who invest more time should have an advantage. But in the past (since WotLK) people like me who only do random bgs had a niche. I never got the top gear of course but i was viable just by doing random bgs. Now i will be trashed by any raider who decides to have some fun. Kinda same situation as in vanilla.

That and the sorry state of my class in pvp and the really really annoying BfA instances (Legion instances were awesome, i did run m+s a lot!) make me question why i even bother to level up. Blizz really !@#$ed up BfA. I wish it was different.