8.1 breaks levelling XP

General
1 2 3 8 Next
Spoiler: You aren't going to like this thread if you are easily offended by different opinions other than what is perceived to be the over all majority.

That said...

For the players that had to take so long to level up to unlock their Allied Races' heritage armour, it totally slaps them in the face turning levelling into a ding machine once more, though I am grateful the scaling is being kept in place (Yay!).

Nerfing XP down into the ground because whingers complain isn't the way to go.

Changes brought about after 7.3.5 made levelling worthwhile again and increases (slightly thereafter) were a good balance and compromise.

Dungeons aren't a zerg fest (and thankfully won't be either after these changes, except when it comes to XP) but it's sad to see that Blizzard feel the need to cave-in to whingers who want a zerg fest with XP gains, and to level up as fast as they can, to ironically whinge about end-game content.

You know, that poster who constantly posts about everything BAD in the game, but has in reality very little achieved or completed - you don't and won't please this mentality. These are the very SAME player(s) that HATE scaling in outdoor BfA content (and overall), because they are always in that "go-go" mode. They've posted 100 times about unsubbing and, to be fair, only for the forum's moderation, would be VERY toxic. It isn't the game is at fault here, the changes brought about to boost XP slightly after 7.3.5 were a good balance and should be the ONLY changes.

3 months down the line into 8.1 levelling will still be too slow, oh and the scaling rage threads will almost certainly increase because they hate the fact they can't 1 shot a boss anymore or pull the entire dungeon to AOE it down. Guess what? Because you caved-in to the XP demands, they'll cry even more about the scaling until they get what they want. GG on keeping scaling though and the pathfinder(s).

End of the line is stop giving into demands that break the game and turn it into a zerg fest either for XP gains or making mobs/bosses in low level content useless. Changes to XP in its current state on 8.1 break it dramatically and make the game's levelling design flawed. If the scaling were removed, it'd be a joke.

Guess I can only be thankful it stays eh?

PS: stop giving into whingers and keep the game as it was meant to be.
Well I couldnt disagree more. I dont want to spend an eternity leveling in old content. I want to see new content.
You got to stop the armoury shaming and stuff surrounding that ,give it a break it makes you look foolish.

I did my velf in 7.3.5 found it a total bore mobs are HP sponge no challenge at all.
Pre 7.3.5 was a bore fest aswell .
The XP nerf was needed for 60-80 it was badly adjusted.

Incase you missed it an incoming blanket change to Mob HP is going to happen aswell.

My views on scaleing is that its boring we didnt have it until MoP and shouldnt be ingame at all.
I loved in classic as a lvl 60 soloing DM as fury warrior.
Scaling has removed any sense of progression you feel the same ftom 1 to 120 and then until you get 325 gear is the only time to feel strong.

You whinging about whingers so your basically asking them to not listen to you.

P.s get to 20k+ achives and a decent pet collection before slateing others for not doing much ...... see how it feels when somebody slates your views just cause of points not nice is it so stop doing it grow up and man up .
"Blizzard, stop listening to other people's whining and instead listen to mine!"
<Insert orc laugh track here>
You will still be able to enjoy your leveling, you can alternatively not use heirlooms to prolong the... "Fun" and "challenging" experience which is leveling for long, for others this is a great change.
For altoholics, old and new, this is nice as they can get a new alt faster.
For new players it is also nice as they can level at a good phase without getting burned to ashes in 60-80 bracket.
This change is good.
If blizzard made the change is not only because of the people complaining but also because more and more people stopped levelling new character.
They can all see this from data,less people levelling new character=less playtime probably.
You dont like the exp changes? Dont use heirloom and the new potion and probably will level new character because i stopped levelling since end of legion.
09/11/2018 05:13Posted by Tymaar
Changes brought about after 7.3.5 made levelling worthwhile again and increases (slightly thereafter) were a good balance and compromise.

This is very much a perspective issue. It makes leveling interesting and worthwhile again if you level maybe one or two alts each time. But there is a sizeable audience of people who do want to play every class at max level, and for those people it just took frankly too long.

The problem right now is that even with new scaling, the leveling experience is way too disjointed to be fun to play. We have 120 levels to go through, regardless of how fast they pop, it'll still feel like a daunting task. The first scaling pass was a good way towards solving this, but what the game really needs is a level squish down to 60 combined with 100% scaling in all zones but the current expansion.
I will probably be finished with my maghar or by the time this change is life... But this is a nice opportunity for me to make a HM tauren as well. I have 4 allied races lvld for their heritage so far.

All in all I love the change that is to come. Lvling is cool but its not the end game and it shouldnt take this long.

As for Mielikki, why your pet collection should matter? To this day I still dont lvl pets or collect them. Wow is not pokemon. I dont even know how to lvl a pet nor I care. So I should have no oppinion you say?
Spoiler: You aren't going to like this thread if you are easily offended by different opinions other than what is perceived to be the over all majority.

Ehem ... decreasing xp needed, WAS what the over all majority wanted, they caved in like idiots listening to the vocal minority when they nerffed leveling.

They should just completely restore pre 7.3.5, althou this is a start.
For the players that had to take so long to level up to unlock their Allied Races' heritage armour, it totally slaps them in the face turning levelling into a ding machine once more, though I am grateful the scaling is being kept in place (Yay!).

For me, as someone who leveled a paladin during TBC it's a slap in the face that they increased the level cap. All muh work for nothing!!1

Nerfing XP down into the ground because whingers complain isn't the way to go.

Yes, it is. Because the level cap is currently 120. If you wish to spend 90+ hours for a new character then go ahead. Others do not wish for that and there should be a choice if you wish to go the slow route or the fast route. Balance and compromise? Have you played as a priest or mage through WoD? No? You should do that. See where balance hits you real good.

Dungeons aren't a zerg fest (and thankfully won't be either after these changes, except when it comes to XP) but it's sad to see that Blizzard feel the need to cave-in to whingers who want a zerg fest with XP gains, and to level up as fast as they can, to ironically whinge about end-game content.

Dungeons are in their current state completely useless. Back in time dungeons were to gear up. Today they are means to level up. The XP provided however are not worth doing (except on max level) and thus they aren't worth doing at all. And no, complaining is great. If we had no people complaining there would be no classic servers. If we had no people complaining there would be lootboxes by now in WoW. If a huge majority complains about something then maybe, JUST MAYBE, there is something essentially wrong with the thing itself. And swimming against the majority is not always a great thing to do.

You know, that poster who constantly posts about everything BAD in the game, but has in reality very little achieved or completed - you don't and won't please this mentality. These are the very SAME player(s) that HATE scaling in outdoor BfA content (and overall), because they are always in that "go-go" mode. They've posted 100 times about unsubbing and, to be fair, only for the forum's moderation, would be VERY toxic. It isn't the game is at fault here, the changes brought about to boost XP slightly after 7.3.5 were a good balance and should be the ONLY changes.

You will always have people complaining. That's just how it is. And no, you can't say they are the same players in any way. Go-go mode, huh? Yea, 90 hours for a single char with heirlooms is totally go-go mode. Without heirlooms it's even more. Todays gamers aren't much interested in 100+ hours gameplay before they can join their friends. That's why PUBG, OverWatch and many other games are so popular. Because you can jump in with or without your friends and just enjoy the game. Oh, what is that? You wanna play druid in [current content]? Well then! Spend 60 Euro or 90 hours of your life. Or just... play something that is more fun, which is the issue currently. And please, do not tell me "well good casuals aren't welcome" or some bs. Casuals are the main target audience for Blizzard because they hand the most money over.

3 months down the line into 8.1 levelling will still be too slow, oh and the scaling rage threads will almost certainly increase because they hate the fact they can't 1 shot a boss anymore or pull the entire dungeon to AOE it down. Guess what? Because you caved-in to the XP demands, they'll cry even more about the scaling until they get what they want. GG on keeping scaling though and the pathfinder(s).

You don't know any of that nor can you predict anything.

End of the line is stop giving into demands that break the game and turn it into a zerg fest either for XP gains or making mobs/bosses in low level content useless. Changes to XP in its current state on 8.1 break it dramatically and make the game's levelling design flawed. If the scaling were removed, it'd be a joke.

PS: stop giving into whingers and keep the game as it was meant to be.

Ok. So how exactly would you change that then? 1-119 leveling does not give you gear that you can use after 120. Make the games leveling design flawed huh...?

WoD mobs hit harder than Legion mobs. WoD scaling is completely unbalanced. You take around 90 hours with heirlooms to reach 120. Most people quit in the 60-80+ bracket because the gap of each level becomes too long. There are no talents at a certain level anymore and even from 110 to 120 leveling becomes basically useless since there is nothing to gain from it. The leveling in WoW is a timesink. Nothing else. For if you wish that grind experience then enjoy the launch of Vanilla next year.

How the game is meant to be? You mean in your weird opinion or the majority? Because currently the majority wishes for some changes and the minority (that you are part of) does not wish for changes. So infact Blizzard is exactly doing what you are saying. They are giving in to the majority whom decide what the game is supposed to be. Because if you give in to the minority then we get great changes that ruin the population of your game. So what's the point of your thread?
09/11/2018 05:31Posted by Unholyhomie
Well I couldnt disagree more. I dont want to spend an eternity leveling in old content. I want to see new content.
Oh yea that "new" content, which gets old after 2-4 weeks .... much fun.

End of the line is stop giving into demands that break the game and turn it into a zerg fest either for XP gains or making mobs/bosses in low level content useless.
Just so I understand this, how is low level content being made useless by decreasing the needed experience to level up?

It has literally one primary use: Provide Experience to level up. The way to make low level contant actually useless is make it provide no experience.
Best question is: Why did they increased the level cap from 60 in the first place?

The problem right now is that even with new scaling, the leveling experience is way too disjointed to be fun to play. We have 120 levels to go through, regardless of how fast they pop, it'll still feel like a daunting task. The first scaling pass was a good way towards solving this, but what the game really needs is a level squish down to 60 combined with 100% scaling in all zones but the current expansion.

I skipped Cataclysm, Warlords of Dreanor, and Mists of Pandaria but would really like to level through some of those zones. I think I completed maybe 1 Cataclysm, half a MoP, and 1 WoD zone. All the other zones on those continents would be new to me. Unfortunately those areas are only available for levels 80-100 or so. For levels 1-80, I'm forced to grind through the same old content I've seen many times before, and that repetition is what makes leveling a pain in the ***.

Maybe forcing players through the old continents from 1-60, Outland/Northland from 60-70, Cata from 70-80, and so on, makes sense for completely new players who don't have a max level character yet for story-telling purposes. But for people who reached the max level, I think it would be good if they could level new characters even more freely than now. The initial step Blizz did here is already great (e.g. being able to level a new character in Winterspring or Burning Steppes); but I would like it if they make this even more flexible.

It would be a bit like in Diablo 3. You have to play through Story Mode once, but after that, you can just jump into Adventure Mode where you're not forced through some linear path.
09/11/2018 06:36Posted by Bulldozer
I will probably be finished with my maghar or by the time this change is life... But this is a nice opportunity for me to make a HM tauren as well. I have 4 allied races lvld for their heritage so far.

All in all I love the change that is to come. Lvling is cool but its not the end game and it shouldnt take this long.

As for Mielikki, why your pet collection should matter? To this day I still dont lvl pets or collect them. Wow is not pokemon. I dont even know how to lvl a pet nor I care. So I should have no oppinion you say?

I suggest you re read my post and OPs then comment but incase its hard for you .

OP likes to armoury shame constantly so i was mocking him for doing so to show him what its like in other words its pointless just like the OP.
I was all for the levelling changes but as a bit of an altaholic I don’t want to spend an age running through 40-80 (because this part is the slog) for toon number 19 when I’ve done it 18 times before.

I’ve already grinded out 3 sets of heritage armour and I’m glad it won’t take so long for the rest
09/11/2018 07:02Posted by Slerk
So what's the point of your thread?

Complain obviously.

@OP
You have one more month to level in your slog. Enjoy it while you can.
I personally think it is a good change and is also probably a sticking plaster until they come up with something new for levelling. Ion himself said they need to do something about it.

I dont think a level squish is the answer but a new way in how levelling works.

What I would like to see:

Revamp or expand on old world quests
Expand on existing quests, continue their story and get rid of the quests that arent fun.

World Quests
Add world quests to the old world areas that give extra XP and actual useful rewards for levellers. Not some piece of armour you are never going to use but perhaps something really helpful like buffs that increase damage, mount speed, or a piece of armour that perhaps gives better than heirloom XP boost for a short time.

Return Reward
Players need to feel they are getting stronger and better. In Vanilla you used to get a new talent every other level as well as a skill point to add to your tree. Now u can go multiple levels without getting anything. This needs to be addressed.

I say get rid of these fancy ways of getting new skills/buffs like legendary talent trees and azerite armour and just have one talent tree 1 to 120 but just make it a talent point every other level. For me there was nothing wrong with the Vanilla system it just needed tweaking.

Reduce XP requird
Guys get tired of content that doesnt change and the more they do it the less likely they are to level. So perhaps when u hit max level than for your next character the overall amount of XP required to reach max is reduced by say 5%. Eventually capped of course.

Return some danger
Add random elites to the old world that spawn randomly and in different locations but give great rewards but added danger. Sort of like the Deathwing appearing out of nowhere scenario. Give the player a chance to run away or get to safety but add that danger so they need to look over their shoulder.

Just a few ideas feel free to add your own.
I totally agree with the OP.

All of you moaning about levelling taking too long are just impatiant 'I want it now' kiddies.

I've started a new toon from level 1, I'm not even halfway through Outland and they're level 90 already.
Blizzard went full circle in that one it is amazing.

I don't know where is the problem.

Perhaps the development team is changing so much and so quick they never learn the lesson?

People were crying for ages about how quick the leveling used to be. Blizzard after all these years finally listens. Then they decided to make the leveling longer. Many people praised this move. There were tons of reddits explaining how it is fun to be able to know the story of area and not simply out level it very early on.

Though it was good move, it was done without fixing the problems with leveling. With the new talent tree and the lack of spells due to pruning. People were becoming bored of the experience.

This is where Blizzard needed to listen further and fix these issues. Maybe bringing back the old talent tree would have been a very nice fix for these issues.

Unfortunately, they decided to not fix these issues, but roll back and again piss people.
There was already an answer to this.

Heirlooms, just buff them instead.
People can use them for increased levelling speed or not if they want a slower levelling experience.

Another example of Blizz splitting the player base by making a change that affects everyone when they could have made this improvement to keep both sides of the argument happy.

Poor decision Blizz, poor decision.