8.1 breaks levelling XP

General
Prev 1 2 3 8 Next
Yoı can just take off heirlooms and have your slower leveling. Or you want leveling to be harder for other people? Why? Why do you care that people level faster? What is it to you? Or you just hate to see people having the heritage gear easier since you worked harder?
09/11/2018 05:13Posted by Tymaar
For the players that had to take so long to level up to unlock their Allied Races' heritage armour, it totally slaps them in the face turning levelling into a ding machine once more, though I am grateful the scaling is being kept in place (Yay!).

Adjustments like these always happen. You should expect them.
09/11/2018 08:20Posted by Benjamin
after all these years finally listens. Then they decided to make the leveling longer.

THIS IS WHERE THE ISSUE IS.

They do !@#$ nobody asks for. When the scaling world stuff was announced everyone was like "oh that's cool!" but WAIT THERE IS MORE! And the "more" is "we also made the leveling longer and ALSO we adjusted the EXP gain from literally every source!"

And everyone was like "wait, wtf? That is not what we ask for". The scaling and questing where you want would have been a great change if Blizzard wouldn't have gone overboard with the nerf of EXP on every single source.

It's like you tell someone of a problem you got. You tell that person: "hey, if we took a walk, that would help me alot". And this someone goes: "Sure, let's take a walk" but in the middle of it this person has planned an entire day full of activies when you ONLY WANTED TO TAKE A WALK MAN.
09/11/2018 08:00Posted by Calenn
I personally think it is a good change and is also probably a sticking plaster until they come up with something new for levelling. Ion himself said they need to do something about it.

I dont think a level squish is the answer but a new way in how levelling works.

What I would like to see:

Revamp or expand on old world quests
Expand on existing quests, continue their story and get rid of the quests that arent fun.

World Quests
Add world quests to the old world areas that give extra XP and actual useful rewards for levellers. Not some piece of armour you are never going to use but perhaps something really helpful like buffs that increase damage, mount speed, or a piece of armour that perhaps gives better than heirloom XP boost for a short time.

Return Reward
Players need to feel they are getting stronger and better. In Vanilla you used to get a new talent every other level as well as a skill point to add to your tree. Now u can go multiple levels without getting anything. This needs to be addressed.

I say get rid of these fancy ways of getting new skills/buffs like legendary talent trees and azerite armour and just have one talent tree 1 to 120 but just make it a talent point every other level. For me there was nothing wrong with the Vanilla system it just needed tweaking.

Reduce XP requird
Guys get tired of content that doesnt change and the more they do it the less likely they are to level. So perhaps when u hit max level than for your next character the overall amount of XP required to reach max is reduced by say 5%. Eventually capped of course.

Return some danger
Add random elites to the old world that spawn randomly and in different locations but give great rewards but added danger. Sort of like the Deathwing appearing out of nowhere scenario. Give the player a chance to run away or get to safety but add that danger so they need to look over their shoulder.

Just a few ideas feel free to add your own.

I could not agree anymore than this. Perfect.
it totally slaps them in the face turning levelling into a ding machine once more,

They are tweaking it downwards, mostly 60-80. It will still take time. It will still take longer then it used too, because you can't zerg a dungeon in 10 minutes.

Your overreaction to this adjustment is not useful.
Kinda sad to see that people demand on slower pace leveling, they want not just slower leveling, they want slower for everyone, and it's only speed that bothers them, because
stop giving into whingers and keep the game as it was meant to be.

hell no how it was meant to be, you were meant to gain stats and outlevel mobs EACH level, EACH piece of gear made you stronger, and then slowly from 20-shotting the mob you came to 5-4shotting it, also it was logical and systematic: red mobs high exp, green mobs low exp. Now it's just: keep killing mobs and doing quests, until you reach max level, choose where or whatever mobs it doesn't matter at all.
While I agree that this is not a fix, but as I said before imo it's a painkiller, this will reduce the stagnation time during leveling (=when you level up, but you don't get anything new), and hopefully reduce the boredom.

Ironically some of these people, including op, don't want to zerg rush the dungeons, but at the same time they are totally fine grinding M+, where is literally a timer.
09/11/2018 08:24Posted by Krillsey
Heirlooms, just buff them instead.
People can use them for increased levelling speed or not if they want a slower levelling experience.

nah I would instead make it so, that when you have atleast one character at max level you get a permanent exp buff, that if you want to you can turn it off, maby even a 100% buff to exp, this way those who want level slow can and those who like faster pace can get that also.
09/11/2018 05:31Posted by Unholyhomie
Well I couldnt disagree more. I dont want to spend an eternity leveling in old content. I want to see new content.

In every expansion you buy you get free character boost. You always get to see the new content.
09/11/2018 08:57Posted by Benjamin
Well I couldnt disagree more. I dont want to spend an eternity leveling in old content. I want to see new content.

In every expansion you buy you get free character boost. You always get to see the new content.

Yea, let's oversee certain issues of a game by just saying "but you get a free boost lol". Maybe there is something wrong when the company itself hands you a free boost and tells you "skip leveling with this and enjoy our new content".

How about we skip raiding and pvp too? You get a free PvP set and mythic raiding gear set on each expansion. Boom, issues that people complain about fixed. :^)
Finally!
Levelling after 7.3.5 was very broken, the changes in 8.1 go a little way to correcting that

When hitting level 60 and going to the TBC/WOTLK zones xp from mobs and quests were awarding around 40-50% less than they had been when you were levelling in pre 60 zones. This was clearly not working as it should, it took twice as long levelling 60-80 as from 40-60.

The levelling experience after 7.3.5 was a joke, scaling just added extra HP to mobs, when fighting some of the supposed hard quests mobs in lower levels they had big health pools and hit for barely nothing so it did not increase the challenge to the player it just made all the mobs a timesink, reducing xp in all zones therefore goes a little way to addressing this.

The 8.1 changes hardly make levelling a ding fest, overall its probably reduced xp from 20-110 by 25%, the 60-80 range I hope will feel a lot less bad than it did now that those areas have been reduced by 40% (to fix it)

I have levelled 2 allied races from 20-120, 20-40 range I found ok, did a few zones that I hadn`t done for a while, 40-60 it started to feel a bit tedious, character never feels stronger, time it takes to gain a level starts to slow down, nothing really when you do level to reward you (with spells/abilities/talents only coming every 15 levels)

I like levelling alts, but 7.3.5 made levelling into a joke, it took me 34 days to level from 20-110 (questing around 2 hours a few times a week) by the end of that I really didn’t want to go through it again, but a friend persuaded me to try as she wanted to level an allied race so I made another and we quested together thinking it might make it more enjoyable.. it didn`t it remained a tedious and demotivating experience where rather than us saying lets go have some fun levelling we were more….I suppose we should go do a couple of hours of levelling.

Soon Classic servers will come out and levelling 1-60 there will give you an authentic and not broken levelling experience

That just proves that blizzard is aware how the old content isn't as enjoyable as the current content. As long as there is no rework of the ancient zones and dungeons, lowering XP is the only thing they can do. And I've been told there would be an "outrage" if blizzard decided to dedicate a patch to just updating the old zones instead of creating more endgame content.
I wouldn't mind leveling weeks for a character if all the zones were as refined as the legion and bfa zones.
So complaining about 7.3.5 changes is bad for the game and done by players who "didn't achieve anything in the game", but complaining about 8.1 changes are perfectly okay, is that it?

They had to take the secret leveling nerf in prepatch and I've already said it back then that it was just the beginning and we had to keep up the fight instead of settling for that small victory. This is another step in the right direction but it still isn't enough, it'll never be until they revert 7.3.5 leveling changes and remove scaling from the game.
09/11/2018 09:02Posted by Slerk

Yea, let's oversee certain issues of a game by just saying "but you get a free boost lol". Maybe there is something wrong when the company itself hands you a free boost and tells you "skip leveling with this and enjoy our new content".

How about we skip raiding and pvp too? You get a free PvP set and mythic raiding gear set on each expansion. Boom, issues that people complain about fixed. :^)

I am actually in deep thinking state, wondering what the hell am I reading here....
Leveling is horrible now. The entire idea of mob scaling is bad. You actually feel weaker with each level.
I'd might agree with OP, but not with the current leveling system. For me any way to make this torment shorter is a good thing.
Every class feels like !@# at low level. I'm going to continue complaining until they make the moment to moment gameplay more engaging
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I am actually in deep thinking state, wondering what the hell am I reading here....

It's called logic. I know, that's very hard to grasp for someone that thinks the current state of leveling is ok because "you can buy a boost".

Simple language for you: problem exist, yes? Problem no fix with boost, yes? Good.
Spoiler: You aren't going to like this thread if you are easily offended by different opinions other than what is perceived to be the over all majority.

That said...

For the players that had to take so long to level up to unlock their Allied Races' heritage armour, it totally slaps them in the face turning levelling into a ding machine once more, though I am grateful the scaling is being kept in place (Yay!).

Nerfing XP down into the ground because whingers complain isn't the way to go.

Changes brought about after 7.3.5 made levelling worthwhile again and increases (slightly thereafter) were a good balance and compromise.

Dungeons aren't a zerg fest (and thankfully won't be either after these changes, except when it comes to XP) but it's sad to see that Blizzard feel the need to cave-in to whingers who want a zerg fest with XP gains, and to level up as fast as they can, to ironically whinge about end-game content.

You know, that poster who constantly posts about everything BAD in the game, but has in reality very little achieved or completed - you don't and won't please this mentality. These are the very SAME player(s) that HATE scaling in outdoor BfA content (and overall), because they are always in that "go-go" mode. They've posted 100 times about unsubbing and, to be fair, only for the forum's moderation, would be VERY toxic. It isn't the game is at fault here, the changes brought about to boost XP slightly after 7.3.5 were a good balance and should be the ONLY changes.

3 months down the line into 8.1 levelling will still be too slow, oh and the scaling rage threads will almost certainly increase because they hate the fact they can't 1 shot a boss anymore or pull the entire dungeon to AOE it down. Guess what? Because you caved-in to the XP demands, they'll cry even more about the scaling until they get what they want. GG on keeping scaling though and the pathfinder(s).

End of the line is stop giving into demands that break the game and turn it into a zerg fest either for XP gains or making mobs/bosses in low level content useless. Changes to XP in its current state on 8.1 break it dramatically and make the game's levelling design flawed. If the scaling were removed, it'd be a joke.

Guess I can only be thankful it stays eh?

PS: stop giving into whingers and keep the game as it was meant to be.

Indeed. I've said similar things myself.

Appeasing this people is an entirely self-defeating endeavour, not only to the developers, but amusingly to the very people who ask for nerf after nerf.

"I want levelling to be FIXED by making it fasterer. I hate doing it." So Blizz capitulate.

A year later "I want levelling to be FIXED by making it fasterer. I hate doing it."

It really doesn't take a great leap to consider the problem here. THEY DON'T LIKE DOING IT-- therefore the conclusion is 'fasterer' until it becomes a free character boost.

I mean really. Designing game features around people that don't like it. Yea, very sensible. I mean the ridiculous extent to which they've already balanced levelling around those very people, yet it's still not enough for them. MASSIVELY less time than even 1-60 and Heirloom gear.
Just look at how they react when Blizz push it even slightly back the other way in 7.3.5-- absolute calamity as if the sky is falling in. Then Blizz push it back in their favour again, and oh look what a shock, here we are and they're celebrating the 'fix' of it being nerfed in their favour AGAIN.

The comedy of this is in 5 years time where it takes half the amount, or more, of time to reach cap, they'll realise - though not voice of course - the lack of value in their characters because they essentially smashed it to cap with no investment.

Yea, what an epic journey in an MMO reaching max level in a day.
Nerfing XP down into the ground because whingers complain isn't the way to go.

It's hardly being nerfed into the ground.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=288495/experience-required-to-level-reduced-in-8-1-ptr-build-28366
this is a great sample why bliz should stop listening to the players, because one might want something the other doesn't. it is the players (and pvp'ers) that are destroying the game.