Current plot is crap

Story
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
14/10/2018 18:10Posted by Cyndane
They actually came out and said that they didn't care about the story.

Wha...? That's pretty heavy. Could you give me a source for that?
There isn’t a single decent storyline in the entire expansion.
14/10/2018 19:39Posted by Aeula

Seems we played two different expansion then...

I found all of Zandalar enjoyable storywise. Adn if I would finally play my Dwarf I would enjoy the alliance side too * looks at all the reps to farm* yep... not gonna happen till my old-age pension
Kul Tiras and Zandalar are thoroughly enjoyable though with many new and greatly written characters like Lucille Waycrest, Flynn Fairwind and Bwonsamdi (okay he's not "new" but he didn't have a major appearance before BfA).

It's the main story that is a complete failure. Only from a story perspective (let's not talk about the other failures of BfA like the Azerite gear) the expansion is Mists of Pandaria 2.0. In MoP the continent was also great (the Townlong Steppes being one of the best zones simply because of the Shado-Pan) but the Alliance versus Horde story sucked.
14/10/2018 22:56Posted by Keydiam
It's the main story that is a complete failure.

Your subjectiv opinion. I dont find it that way. But thats why this forum exist, To discuss this in such a forum civilized.

Sadly as soon as someone ask something in here, or takes a stand, he is personally attacked and a mud flinging contest start.

Sad to see this in every topic.

To the Alliance vs Horde in Pandaria:
It fitted the politic those two faction had at that time. With Garrosh and Varrian it was an explosive mix. So being it a all open war was just natural
If it would be for mere exploration then this expansion would be very decent but Horde vs Alliance is indeed handled poorly.

I feel now silly so I'll start singing :

"What is plot?

Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more. "

*bangs head to the rythm*

(edited to Xiao)
14/10/2018 23:39Posted by Zakkaru
HvA

What is that *one confused pandaren*
Well I do not play Horde, but I found the War Effort questlines with Falstad and Shandris to be incredible ! there are some issues of course but it is not complete crap. I can't wait for 8.1 !!
Blizzards problem is the main story arc of almost every expansion. They just cant do a good overarching narrative.

BC? We kill Kael, Vash und Illidan for reasons which are explained several years later in a tie in novel during Legion. Outside of the Black Temple we meet Illidan exacly 1 single time for like 10 seconds.

Wotlk? You had this really interesting idea of the Nexus War. Are we abusing our magic? Are we going to far? Are the Kirin Tor fighing Malygos because he is a danger to the world, or because they are essentially selfish and want to keep their magic? Nothing of this is really fleshed out or explored.

And dont get me startet on the Lich King. He appears in almost every single zone, taunt you with like a retarded cartoon villian: "I could totally kill you right now, but i wont, hahaha." and then just runs away. Because apparently his master plan was to have us dismantle the entire scourge and its leadership to see if we are worthy enough to be raised, instead of... just raising us in the first place. Oh and somehow a decimated, leaderless and beaten up scourge is supposed to be a world ending thread.

Cata? Its not like Deathwing could just fly over every single important zone and roast it. But for some reason he seems to belive for undoing the world you have to fly over arathi and barrens and the swamplands, instead of turning the capital citys to cinder.

Do i really have to explain "Time Travel i dont need to explain lol Draenor is free" Wod?

And the flaws of BFA´s main faction war narrative are widly mentioned and discussed.

The strange thing is, while Blizz sucks at the grand storys, they are really good at the smaller ones during the level phase. From the Howling Fjord to Krasarang Forest to Suramar and Aszuna and the Shadowmoon Valley, or Nagrand.

And i just dont understand. They are able to pull off awesome stuff like Runas, the Suramar Rebellion, Farondis and the Laughing Skulls etc, but fail horribly when its actually important. (Except of the Jaina Story in BFA. This one was really great for a main narrative arc)

How?!
15/10/2018 06:57Posted by Balgrím
Blizzards problem is the main story arc of almost every expansion. They just cant do a good overarching narrative.

BC? We kill Kael, Vash und Illidan for reasons which are explained several years later in a tie in novel during Legion. Outside of the Black Temple we meet Illidan exacly 1 single time for like 10 seconds.

Wotlk? You had this really interesting idea of the Nexus War. Are we abusing our magic? Are we going to far? Are the Kirin Tor fighing Malygos because he is a danger to the world, or because they are essentially selfish and want to keep their magic? Nothing of this is really fleshed out or explored.

And dont get me startet on the Lich King. He appears in almost every single zone, taunt you with like a retarded cartoon villian: "I could totally kill you right now, but i wont, hahaha." and then just runs away. Because apparently his master plan was to have us dismantle the entire scourge and its leadership to see if we are worthy enough to be raised, instead of... just raising us in the first place. Oh and somehow a decimated, leaderless and beaten up scourge is supposed to be a world ending thread.

Cata? Its not like Deathwing could just fly over every single important zone and roast it. But for some reason he seems to belive for undoing the world you have to fly over arathi and barrens and the swamplands, instead of turning the capital citys to cinder.

If they just did that, how on earth ar we supposed to play the MMORPG?
Hey look we have contact with LK -> Permadead and risen -> WTH?
Oh look Deathwing -> destroys all capitals -> haven fun with auctionhouse

Dont forget its still a game in the first place and story in the second. The narrative has to fit the gameplay or noone would play it. After the gameplay is done, they look how to fir in the story around certain events.
With WoW its always Gameplay fist -> Story second... wait wait... Rule of cool -> Gameplay ->story
Do i really have to explain "Time Travel i dont need to explain lol Draenor is free" Wod?

you missed pandaria
15/10/2018 10:57Posted by Edgyjojomeme
you missed pandaria

Perfection doesnt need to be mentioned ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
15/10/2018 10:57Posted by Edgyjojomeme

you missed pandaria

Pandaria was awesome.

Unheard of top quality adventurer's experience matched with breathtaking sights, a mysterious and compelling story and important life lessons about dealing with negative emotions and problems. Not to mention amazing soundtracks, but those are always of the top quality in Warcraft.
15/10/2018 11:02Posted by Halasibel
Pandaria was awesome.

Unheard of top quality adventurer's experience matched with breathtaking sights, a mysterious and compelling story and important life lessons about dealing with negative emotions and problems. Not to mention amazing soundtracks, but those are always of the top quality in Warcraft.

Pandaria was awesome. Faction war? Not so much.
15/10/2018 11:23Posted by Erevien
Pandaria was awesome. Faction war? Not so much.

With a warchief like Garrosh, who would have expected that... and persons like Nazgrim and the allaince General... I mean where did they find those tools? Both where like maschines fueled with propaganda and absolute loyalty to their king/warchief...
14/10/2018 19:39Posted by Aeula

I actually loved Drustvar. One of the best zones ever in my opinion. Haven't touched my horde alt yet and I seriously don't feel like doing that anytime soon so can't tell how are the horde zones. But I found the Alliance ones very enjoyable.
I think the biggest problem with the wow plot, is how our characters are shoehorned into a narrative, which we don't necessarily support.

I for one love the Alliance storyline so far and have absolutely no problem with it. But when I remember back to for example; Pandaria, there were some key moments where I was horribly annoyed by how my superiors (Varian & Anduin) acted and how I was forced to follow them. Same with Icecrown, where we allowed Saurfang to get to his son's corpse and Jaina's lame version even cried...

I see myself reflected in the Hordeplayers who are currently annoyed by several storylines. Two perfect examples: Some players probably didn't want to burn Teldrassil but were forced to follow Sylvanas anyway...

And then Blizzard does a 180 and the players who were fine with following Sylvanas are now suddenly forced to follow Saurfang...

Not having any decision over what your character does simply sucks... Especially in a story where you can have multiple opinions over a situation...
15/10/2018 13:06Posted by Anouk
And then Blizzard does a 180 and the players who were fine with following Sylvanas are now suddenly forced to follow Saurfang...

I would call it "Karma is a !@#$%", because I remember those players who were cool with following Sylvanas haranguing the ones following Saurfang on these very forums. Now the shoe is on the other foot.

Otherwise, you are absolutely right. I bring this up because I am feeling petty.
15/10/2018 10:50Posted by Xiaopaw

If they just did that, how on earth ar we supposed to play the MMORPG?
Hey look we have contact with LK -> Permadead and risen -> WTH?
Oh look Deathwing -> destroys all capitals -> haven fun with auctionhouse

Dont forget its still a game in the first place and story in the second. The narrative has to fit the gameplay or noone would play it. After the gameplay is done, they look how to fir in the story around certain events.
With WoW its always Gameplay fist -> Story second... wait wait... Rule of cool -> Gameplay ->story

The solution would be to not write us into scenarios like these. Instead of threatening us and runnig away, have the Lich King kill some important Character who sacrifices himself for us to get away or something alike.

Dont make Deathwing so incredible powerful that you cant logically explain why he razed the Stormwind Park but didnt bother to take 3 more minutes to burn down the rest of the city. "He didnt felt like it" isnt a satisfying answer.

Give Deathwing a reason why he didnt just burn down every important city. Have him be threatend by the other aspects or by cadres of Mages who would dismantle his Armorplates, like Kadghar did in Wc2.

The point is: There are way to have us confront Arthas and let Deathwing wreck havoc upon the world. Just do it in a way that makes sense and is satisfactory.
15/10/2018 13:28Posted by Balgrím
Dont make Deathwing so incredible powerful that you cant logically explain why he razed the Stormwind Park but didnt bother to take 3 more minutes to burn down the rest of the city. "He didnt felt like it" isnt a satisfying answer.

To boast his power. He didn't want to destroy the city, he wanted to persuade the people of Stormwind to join his masters. Some did so willingly, such as Archbishop Benedictus, who ordered his cultists to plant explosives under the Cathedral of Light and then detonate them, so that the people of the city would lose faith in the Light and would join the darkness.

Stormwind is the capital city of the Alliance and the greatest and most powerful Human city in the world. The Old Gods don't want to rule over ashes.