Horde players sure are excited.

Story
https://i.imgur.com/3JXLIXw.jpg
oh yes so much horde bias i am drowning in it
Does it surprise you? Look at the graph.
The first drop comes with the burning of Teldrassil, the second one with the reveal of the troll raid, and the last one when they revealed even more details about Saurfang starting trouble and the potential brewing of a MoP 2.0.

The peak came with the BfA cinematic that painted some awesome story of Horde pride.
13/11/2018 11:23Posted by Zarao
The peak came with the BfA cinematic that painted some awesome story of Horde pride.
That's what I really dislike on the current storytelling...
I highly doubt this has anything to do with storytelling to be honest.

You guys terribly overestimate how many people even care beyond: "Heeell yeah Arthas is a cool guy and Sylvanas is hot af!!!"

It is a known fact, that most high-skilled and progress oriented players are Horde. The current expansion offers next to nothing to such players... These players pretty much got their 370 ilvl gear a long time ago and grinding for those extra item level is boring af, so they quit for something that is actually fun.

The Alliance side, while also dropping, is more stable, which could be explained by Horde mains creating Alliance alts and the fact that most Alliance players are casuals who farm appearances.
13/11/2018 12:10Posted by Anouk
It is a known fact, that most high-skilled and progress oriented players are Horde. The current expansion offers next to nothing to such players... These players pretty much got their 370 ilvl gear a long time ago and grinding for those extra item level is boring af, so they quit for something that is actually fun.

Gotta back Anouk here, a minority of the dropping subs is story-oriented. PvP and PVE suffer from a lot of problems and the Azerite system is full of flaws.
13/11/2018 11:12Posted by Agmar
https://i.imgur.com/3JXLIXw.jpg

Like it has anything to do with the story content.

It's probably to do with the fact that the Horde have been way ahead on Mythic Uldir so feel no need to keep playing after clearing it.
13/11/2018 11:23Posted by Zarao
Does it surprise you? Look at the graph.
The first drop comes with the burning of Teldrassil, the second one with the reveal of the troll raid, and the last one when they revealed even more details about Saurfang starting trouble and the potential brewing of a MoP 2.0.

After burning of Teldrassill Alliance drops and going down also. A little bit stopped when 8.1. was announced. But now when we know that NE will not win that battle and they will not get their lands back, it's going down again.

btw according to https://realmpop.com/eu.html Horde is 57% and Alliance is 43% on 120 lvl.
that's a player activity graph

what it shows is, pre-BfA, horde player activity on the measured realms at the measured hours (6pm to 10pm, if i'm reading right) was steady at between 200 and 400 players. it jumped substantially around the time BfA was released (mid to end august), dropped off a little after the first month, climbed again after warfronts and mythics were released, and is now falling back to the 200-400 level (although the last plot is hidden by the key, which would lose you marks in any primary school exam let alone when reporting stuff professionally).

my take-home is player activity is falling back to steady levels again now that everyone's finished the 8.0 content - right?
Did I ever mention that CONTINUITY is the very essence of a STORY?

Without continuity, "story" is NOTHING but a patchwork of unrelated events!

"Draenor is free!" is the best example of a "story" with a complete disregard to the continuity.
If it wouldn't be for Zandalari I wouldn't even play this game. I'd patiently wait til she is out of picture and then return otherwise.

Faction pride under Sylvanas? That's a good joke.
13/11/2018 13:57Posted by Zakkaru

For you and a few other guys on the story forums. Meanwhile hordelets everywhere else love their Sylwaifu. Check wowhead, reddit or even YT comments.
13/11/2018 14:23Posted by Northgrave
13/11/2018 13:57Posted by Zakkaru

For you and a few other guys on the story forums. Meanwhile hordelets everywhere else love their Sylwaifu. Check wowhead, reddit or even YT comments.

what is it with some like you that think you can allow yourself to be so condescending
just because somebody likes a characters that you don't?
If "story" was the deciding factor in whether people play this game or not, WoW would have died halfway through MoP...

Like previous posters mentioned, the vast majority of subs care for in-game content, mechanics and functionality. Whether or Anduin is Manduin, or whether Saurfang is a traitor makes little to no difference (as far as subs are concearned).

I mean, WoD was an absolute butchery. It was an atrocious expansion (lore-wise). It should have been the final nail in the coffin. Yet, people still played it. If that doesn't convince you, then idk..
13/11/2018 12:10Posted by Anouk
I highly doubt this has anything to do with storytelling to be honest.

Yeah, probably the majority of these come from other factors.

Still, the story has had some intense effect that has contributed to it.
This is literally the first expansion I see players arguing about quitting because of the story. Being so vocal about it.
13/11/2018 14:57Posted by Sylanna
what is it with some like you that think you can allow yourself to be so condescending just because somebody likes a characters that you don't?

I'm not trying to be "condescending", I'm just sick of the horde = dindu nuffin storylines. Horde players enjoy being edgy warmongers by a great majority, horde npc are written to be edgy warmongers - Saurfang the only exception, well not really, but about that later - and yet they'll have a !@#$ty redemption story in 8.3.

And it angers me that the big-holy-old-greenskin-who-got-two-cinematics-in-a-row is just sad not because the night elves died, but because it was not "honorable". If he was send to the tree with an axe in his hand and ordered to slaughter anyone who dared to defend himself, he would do so with glee and there would be no problem or conflict in his messed up greenskin brain.

And will he ever be punished for planning the whole war in the first place? No, he's a little innocent green boy. We are probably going to damage Sylvanas until she flies away to have her Kerrigan moment with N'Zoth and he will roar "KALIMDOR IS FREE!!!" while Tyrande claps.
13/11/2018 15:14Posted by Northgrave
13/11/2018 14:57Posted by Sylanna
what is it with some like you that think you can allow yourself to be so condescending just because somebody likes a characters that you don't?

I'm not trying to be "condescending", I'm just sick of the horde = dindu nuffin storylines. Horde players enjoy being edgy warmongers by a great majority, horde npc are written to be edgy warmongers - Saurfang the only exception, well not really, but about that later - and yet they'll have a !@#$ty redemption story in 8.3.

And it angers me that the big-holy-old-greenskin-who-got-two-cinematics-in-a-row is just sad not because the night elves died, but because it was not "honorable". If he was send to the tree with an axe in his hand and ordered to slaughter anyone who dared to defend himself, he would do so with glee and there would be no problem or conflict in his messed up greenskin brain.

And will he ever be punished for planning the whole war in the first place? No, he's a little innocent green boy. We are probably going to damage Sylvanas until she flies away to have her Kerrigan moment with N'Zoth and he will roar "KALIMDOR IS FREE!!!" while Tyrande claps.

no horde have asked for this but somehow you say it is our fault with your and others constant insult
13/11/2018 12:58Posted by Araphant
Gotta back Anouk here, a minority of the dropping subs is story-oriented. PvP and PVE suffer from a lot of problems and the Azerite system is full of flaws.

I agree, the quality of the story has a little effect here. Probably it only contributes to the general discomfort.

Essentially:

- The contents I'm interested in have problems <--Discomfort (some players quit)
- The contents I'm interested in and the contents I'm not interested in have problems <-- Superior Discomfort (many players quit)
- The contents I'm interested in and the contents I'm not interested in, and even the story have problems <-- Maximum Discomfort (many many players quit)
13/11/2018 15:08Posted by Zarao
This is literally the first expansion I see players arguing about quitting because of the story. Being so vocal about it.

what?
How long have you been playing dude?

I've been seeing these since TBC.
It's just people whining on the forums as usual.

Sure the amount of negative story feedback has increased, but I'd argue that this is due to the massive improvement in storytelling (not the storyline, but the storytelling) in the last 3 expansions. This increased the amount of people who follow the story, since they no longer need to read boring questtexts and bad books to get the story.
I'm not trying to be "condescending"

You may not be trying to be, but some of your posts are rather incendiary in that regard.

I'm just sick of the horde = dindu nuffin storylines

You think People who main Horde, or play both factions are not sick of them either? I mean this is a recurrent theme, Horde does a nasty, Alliance gets a smack, Alliance Smacks back, Horde gets smacked, crisis over, Nobody is happy.

Horde players enjoy being edgy warmongers by a great majority, horde npc are written to be edgy warmongers - Saurfang the only exception, well not really, but about that later - and yet they'll have a !@#$ty redemption story in 8.3.

I'm going to grit my teeth and ignore the use of the word 'edgy' in its incorrect sense, that's just a pet peeve of mine. Where do you get this idea that 'Horde players enjoy it?' From the forums? From Reddit?. It is -awful- trying to main Horde right now if you enjoy the lore or RP. We have 0 idea where the story is going, the entire basic -premise- of our involvement in BfA has just been annihilated by the Alliance, again the Horde is getting cities invaded, and then we actually get directly told that the Horde is losing. It is shaping up to be similar to 'Legion' where it was essentially "The Alliance get super stuff and save the universe!, Oh, some Horde can tag along too, but only the ones who are nice!"

It is not a balanced story, so far, and it is turning a lot of people off. Sylvanas is not as well loved as Warchief as some people seem to think. She's effective, but Garrosh was effective at times, and this is the problem. It is just looking like the thought went into the Alliance storyline, with actual character development for some of the lore characters, and then Blizz just waved a hand and went "Ehh, we'll give the Horde another mental Warchief, they loved that!"

No, Nobody loved that. Neither Alliance players or Horde players were happy with SoO, and now they're doing a retread?

Whilst the Anduin and Saurfang exchanges of dialogue are plausible, and the idea of letting a charismatic leader who will destabilise a belligerent nation is utterly plausible, given that, well, it happened in real life, it is still sending the same message.

Well you did just describe an Orc.. I mean that is how they think...I mean we are talking about an Alien species. Not just Alien to our understanding as real life humans, but literally Alien to Azeroth. I mean that's what Saurfang is. An Alien. Why should his thought processes be understandable to us? We can empathise with some of them, but we can't understand how he thinks. Nor, really, should we be able to. I mean that is what 'Alien' means, in one of its definitions. I mean as you say, if he was sent to the tree, axe in hand, and cut down anyone who opposed him in armed combat he would have no problem with it.

Well, Yeah, of course he wouldn't. He's an Orc. That's not problematical to his morality. If you think that is not understandable then hells, I can suggest historical periods and cultures who had exactly the same mindset from our real world, but I will limit myself to two: Celts and Vikings.

You kill your enemies, but behave with honour.

There is nothing weird about Saurfang's behaviour, if you consider that he is a)an Alien, and b)well, stuff that happened in Real life?

He's understandable.

Why would he be? He's an enemy General to the Alliance. That's what he is. You don't win a War then kill all the enemy generals, that just makes martyrs and ensures the next generation will rise up against you. You win a War by forcing a surrender. I mean look at history, Admiral Doenitz, surrendered !@#$ Germany, was not punished because he was an enemy officer, died in the 80's I believe, Kaiser Wilhelm, the head of the German Empire in WWI, surrendered, was allowed to remain in charge but abdicated and was not punished for his part in the War, Emperor Hirohito, the ruler of Japan, surrendered and was allowed to remain in place as Emperor.

Once the fighting stops, you want a figurehead who can a)sign a surrender, and b) enforce it. If you try to push things too far, you start the fighting up again. That's an act of idiocy, and Anduin doesn't seem like an idiot.

Why the heck would they punish Saurfang? it is not only stupid, but makes no sense. Before anyone says "Its unrealistic storytelling" It -Happened- in our real world. -Multiple- times. You can't say something is unrealistic that happens in a Fantasy setting, if it actually happened in our own Factual Setting.

Anduin's smart. He knows he has to have someone in charge of the Horde when this war is over, who can call an end to hostilities and have the authority to do so. He knows Lor'themar is still pi$$ed at the Alliance because of Dalaran and Jaina, he probably knows that Baine is seen as too much of a peacenik. Saurfang however, he could do the job.

This is all plausible stuff. As I say, it has happened in real life...