[Spoilers alert] 8.1 Discussion Thread 4

Argent Dawn
Prev 1 13 14 15 17 Next
08/11/2018 17:03Posted by Mithralles
Obviously the night elves and highborne don't count, it'd be zandalari, nightborne and blood elves working against Azshara for the Horde and the Kul Tirans for the Alliance.
Que Illidan coming straight out of the blue to steal kill Azshara, just like Gul'dan!
08/11/2018 17:03Posted by Mithralles
Obviously the night elves and highborne don't count, it'd be zandalari, nightborne and blood elves working against Azshara for the Horde and the Kul Tirans for the Alliance.

Probably be high elf npcs and void elves + Kul Tirans. The night elves will vanish back into the bushes.
I don't know if this was posted already but anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3RhdaMOqCk

The Darkshore warfront from the Horde point of view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q06ix3giQY

And here's the Alliance version.

Okay, at first I was kinda annoyed with an undead Sira, but after seeing the warfront and listening to the dialogue...Horde? You can have her!
The fact that the Alliance commander is Maiev Shadowsong, the most well-known Warden in the lore, and the Horde commander is literally her ex-lieutenant, is just inexcusable. It's supposed to be a Night Elf vs Undead warfront - you literally have Nathanos right there, !@#$ing use him.

I would be so much more invested into the warfront Horde-side if Nathanos was the commander and not someone who was Alliance-affiliated until literally five minutes ago.
09/11/2018 21:12Posted by Gerthram
The fact that the Alliance commander is Maiev Shadowsong, the most well-known Warden in the lore, and the Horde commander is literally her ex-lieutenant, is just inexcusable. It's supposed to be a Night Elf vs Undead warfront - you literally have Nathanos right there, !@#$ing use him.

Remember that Arathi has 3 rotating commanders. I think Alliance will have Maiev, Malfurion and Tyrande while Horde have Nathanos, Sira and Delaryn.
09/11/2018 21:19Posted by Skrauhg
Remember that Arathi has 3 rotating commanders. I think Alliance will have Maiev, Malfurion and Tyrande while Horde have Nathanos, Sira and Delaryn.

Sylvanas may not like being called the new scourge, but man when most of the enemy commanders are your risen friends from 5 minutes ago you certainly get that vibe.

I expected Maiev, Shandris and Jarod.
09/11/2018 22:15Posted by Aneerah

This - I'm not expecting to see racial leaders as Warfront commanders.

Edit: Apparently a recent interview stated that Sylvanas was complicit in the Wrathgate... Confused writer, or lore bomb?

Double-edit: Bearing in mind said writer is Afrasiabi.
I'm just anxiously waiting for any news around a new undead allied race or an alternative (preserved) Forsaken model. They were one of my fav races in WoW's early stages, partly because of WCIII and partly because of they were just cool (they even had a dreadlord as a racial leader!! 10 year old me was blown away by that!).

Kinda lost interest in them over time for multiple reasons. Besides overall just starting to develop a preference for Alliance (this was in early WotLK), I also didn't like their new architecture. It felt a bit too... eccentric. The Forsaken were at their most intriguing when they were simple human beings who had the unfortunate condition of being, well, dead, yet stuck to their spooky, ruined homes. They really were like a dark reflection of the Lordaeron of the past.

Then they became some undead war machine, especially as of Cataclysm. Unfortunately, the less decrepit looking death knights did a much better job of representing that fantasy for me, especially once tmog came around.

So I really hope we're gonna see some new kind of playable Forsaken come out of this. Preserved Forsaken in the vein Nathanos would be amazing. I just love the black-red aesthetics... I can already imagine playing a preserved Forsaken warlock! Either way, I hope this expansion will reignite my love for the Forsaken sooner or later, whether that would be because of the story (I'd like them be less expansionist once the war ends and go back to being sad, melancholy zombie bois) or because of a new model.

On another note, is it true that Tyrande uses an ability called "Void Bolt" in the Night Warrior scenario? Could this mean that Night Warrior elves (can we please call them "midnight elves" because I love that term) basically become infused with the Void? Because this would make for a really cool basis for a "Priestess of the Dark Side of the Moon" kind of night elf shadow priest.

Edit:

09/11/2018 22:26Posted by Aerandul
Double-edit: Bearing in mind said writer is Afrasiabi.

I already said so in another thread, but boys, don't forget Afrasiabi is the one who !@#$ed up and said "Outland is a death titan". OUTLAND IS A DEATH TITAN. I don't need to tell anyone how many things are wrong with this line.

For context, the full quote:

"When we say Battle for Azeroth a lot of people think about all the territories and all that we take for ourselves and you know, that's being selfish. Because reality is, look, Azeroth is a titan. A titan that is potentially dying. We need to save this world. Because you know what, a death titan, that's Outland, a shattered world, that's Argus. So we'll fight on two fronts, the surface, you know, and also, the heart of the world."
<span class="truncated">...</span>

This - I'm not expecting to see racial leaders as Warfront commanders.

You do know that Muradin Bronzebeard is the Racial leader of the Playable Bronzebeard Dwarves and High-Exarch Turalyon is the racial leader of the playable Lightforged Draenei, right?

So Malfurion and Tyrande being Warfront Commanders isn't that much of a stretch!

Although I would preffer Broll/Jarod, Shandris and Maiev!
Edit: Apparently a recent interview stated that Sylvanas was complicit in the Wrathgate... Confused writer, or lore bomb?Double-edit: Bearing in mind said writer is Afrasiabi.
I think it has more or less been implied since the beginning. I mean, it makes sense. Why would Sylvanas not do anything to get at Arthas, even if it meant sacrificing members of the Horde? Putress might even have volunteered to be her scapegoat.

Somebody on Twitter made a good point about what would've happened if the Forsaken had succeeded in killing the Lich King at the Wrathgate. That victory might even have overshadowed the deaths of the Horde soldiers and Sylvanas would have been hailed as a hero.

Though she might not have counted on that Putress and Varimathras would use this as an opportunity to overthrow her.
I was also surprised by this interview to begin with, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me.
This presumed fact about Sylvanas is not common knowledge however and should, at most, only be considered a rumor IC IMO.
10/11/2018 11:17Posted by Rottusk
even if it meant sacrificing members of the Horde?

She might have even meant to get rid of a rival in the Horde - one who could have been chosen to be Warchief later down the line...
10/11/2018 12:17Posted by Belok
one who could have been chosen to be Warchief later down the line...

Unless the writers are having Sylvanas' internal monologue lie to us* she had no aspirations to be Warchief.

*which would be the hackiest stuff ever and thus okay might be the case
10/11/2018 13:25Posted by Elenthas
one who could have been chosen to be Warchief later down the line...

Unless the writers are having Sylvanas' internal monologue lie to us* she had no aspirations to be Warchief.

*which would be the hackiest stuff ever and thus okay might be the case

To be fair, I wouldn't put it past Blizzard... That she even lies in her own mind! Must keep the mindreaders at bay, ya know!
10/11/2018 11:17Posted by Rottusk
even if it meant sacrificing members of the Horde?

She might have even meant to get rid of a rival in the Horde - one who could have been chosen to be Warchief later down the line...
If you mean Dranosh Saurfang, do not forget that it was Arthas who killed him, not the Forsaken blight.
10/11/2018 14:39Posted by Rottusk
If you mean Dranosh Saurfang, do not forget that it was Arthas who killed him, not the Forsaken blight.
wouldn't really matter who killed him, the Forsaken had already intended to bring the blight unto everyone at Wrathgate, which includes the young Saurfang too.
10/11/2018 13:25Posted by Elenthas

Blizzard has contradicted themselves before. Wrathgate being a Sylvanas' scheme according to an out of game dev claim is no different from Blizz saying forsaken are about free will (even though people who are risen onscreen have an interesting trend of instantly becoming cold disciplined Sylvanas fanatics no matter their past allegiances).
If Sylvanas had planned the Wrathgate attack.... she'd of planned for the idea of Arthas.... just walking back inside, surely?
10/11/2018 15:12Posted by Zanmarea
If Sylvanas had planned the Wrathgate attack.... she'd of planned for the idea of Arthas.... just walking back inside, surely?

Probably hoped to OHKO him. It was not the only time during Wrath that she was surprised by how strong he was (see Halls of Reflection).
Edit: Apparently a recent interview stated that Sylvanas was complicit in the Wrathgate... Confused writer, or lore bomb?

Sylvanas had an official bio way back when, which read: "Yet some of the Dark Lady's allies believe that she was complicit in the treacherous Wrath Gate incident."

So while this is the first time we have a definite answer, it was already being alluded to some 9 years ago.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=124995/character-bios-posted-on-the-official-site