Need suggestions for race change/new RP concept!

Role-Playing
Hi! I feel like I'm in need of a new character concept. As it stands, I'm curious to see what Mages mean to other races. Which race do you consider cool to be a Mage and why? Any other ideas for a fresh concept? I need some help thinking out of the box. (Also open to Horde races)

All help, ideas and suggestions will be much appreciated.
Draenei are the strongest mages out there. That comes to no surprise when you remember that the Eredar were so powerful that they caught the attention of Sargeras.
People don't generally RP this side of the Eredar, and instead stick to Vindicators, and it could be interesting if you were among those that swim against the current.

Humans were taught magic by the elves. They may have a short lifespan, but that doesn't mean they're to be underestimated, as magic comes easier for them. Humans are the most Titan-like race we have available, and that's why they're my favourite.

Dwarves are... Well, I don't think I can think of anything for them. You won't generally see a dwarf mage very often. Then again, that could mean unique points for you.

Gnomes are pretty interesting. They generally don't have a particular interest in magic. And if they ever were to learn it, it would be to assist them with their technology, effectively becoming techno-mages.

Worgen are not a particularly good choice. The Worgen form doesn't help the mage in any way. In fact, it could even force the mage to lose concentration. Indeed, if a worgen ever would be a mage, they would have become one before turning into a worgen.

These are the races. I don't think I'm biased at all when I say that humans are the best. cough
People generally look to Elves when it comes to magic, but it would be a mistake to underestimate humans.

Oh, and If you do start a new mage, please don't join the Kirin Tor. That's the most obvious path that you can take, and no mage likes magic cops.
Wow, thank you for all these ideas! You make some very valid points. I'd love to hear what you think of Mages + Horde races then! It's rather interesting. ^^
21/10/2018 16:12Posted by Ep
Wow, thank you for all these ideas! You make some very valid points. I'd love to hear what you think of Mages + Horde races then! It's rather interesting. ^^

Glad I could help.
Let's see, the horde races.

-Orcs-

Looking at Orcs first.. There is some potential there. Seeing how orc culture is very shamanistic, an orc mage will definitely stand out from the crowds of grunt and shaman Roleplayers.

Orcs were likely taught Arcane by the Draenei when they first arrived on Azeroth, which is why I would recommend a Mag'har. With the recent events with the Lightbound, it could lead to more interesting character progression.

One may also think that orcs aren't "intelligent" enough to be mages. But as we've seen with the ogres, that's not necessarily the case.

Don't quote me on this, but it is heavily Implied that orcs are descendants of the ogres, who are descendants of the orgron, who are descendants of the colossals, who are the descendants of Grond, a massive creature forged by Aggramar from within a mountain, as portrayed in Chronicles II.

This would technically mean that Orcs are titanic creations just as humans are, but it's difficult to be sure.

-Trolls-

It's difficult to be certain, with trolls. Some may simply call them users of all that voodoo nonesene. But it is important to remember that the trolls had an empire that stood for many years way before the Dark Trolls started using the Well of eternity.

It is entirely possible that the trolls discovered the arts of Arcane as well during that time. However, other than that, I don't think that there's anything else particularly unique about them in regards to magic.

-Forsaken-
The playable forsaken are former humans. Which means, that just like them, they are very flexible in terms of character.

The forsaken are very accepting of dark magic, which is why you may see a lot of forsaken warlocks around.

A forsaken mage may very well not like this, however. He could find the dark arts to be a disgrace on their history, he may think that only the noble Arcane magical that can guide their race to redemption!

Or on the contrary, the reanimation may have twisted his soul, and made him see the change of events as an opportunity to test out vile experiments. He may pick up blood magic and in a quest to restore himself back to life.
But from there, we're delving into warlock territory. You still want a mage, right~?

-Blood Elves-

Ehhh.. Come on, do you really want a blood elf? You're already playing an elf, so I'll just assume you don't, and skip over this one.

-Goblins-

There's really not much to say about these guys. Everything they do is for profit. Shamans make for interesting goblins because shamanism is about bargaining with the elements. And who else is better at bargaining than a goblin?

99% of the time, any class that a goblin may pick would be as a way to earn money.

If you want to break the cycle, then I'm not sure if there is anything to stop you. Another thing to note is that goblins are experiments of Mimiron, which would likely give them Arcane affinity in some form as well.
21/10/2018 16:59Posted by Blanes
Ehhh.. Come on, do you really want a blood elf? You're already playing an elf, so I'll just assume you don't, and skip over this one.

If you're talking about mages, you do have to talk about the finest wizards on Azeroth!
21/10/2018 17:42Posted by Karanash
If you're talking about mages, you do have to talk about the finest wizards on Azeroth!

Most of them are sorcerers, not wizards.
Nonetheless, OP wants a "fresh concept". Blood Elves bring anything but that. ;P
21/10/2018 17:48Posted by Blanes
Nonetheless, OP wants a "fresh concept". Blood Elves bring anything but that. ;P

I don't know, the difference between the Shen'dralar Highborne exiles and the Magistocracy of Silvermoon is a vast world of difference;

Where the Highborne are hated and mistrusted by the general Kaldorei people, due to Queen Azshara, the war of the ancients, and Dath'remar's magic storm- the Blood Elven magisters reign supreme in the society of Silvermoon, as governors. Their magi live lives as political as they are magical, full of constant back-stabbing and power plays.

In terms of aesthetics? Yes, they're pointy eared like Night Elves; but it's still a world of difference.
You skipped Void Elves! :(
21/10/2018 17:53Posted by Karanash
I don't know, the difference between the Shen'dralar Highborne exiles and the Magistocracy of Silvermoon is a vast world of difference;

I never said there wasn't, I admittedly went on a big limp and assumed that by "fresh" OP meant "unique". 99% of all horde mage RPers are elves.

This may seem hypocritical, coming from a human. But the human culture, unlike the elven one, wasn't built upon Arcane.

21/10/2018 17:58Posted by Coldsháde
You skipped Void Elves! :(

I skipped all allied races.
Actually, I thought to keep you updated, as I needed to have the possibilities shaped in my mind. As you can see on my profile... uh. I chose what you (@Blanes) thought I was least likely to pick. For the reason Karanash mentioned.

I was however -VERY- tempted with a Goblin Mage or a Mag'har Orc, though I find myself having a strange Elf addiction as my account is pretty much littered in Night Elves...

Though, I'm glad you explained a general description of all races combined to mages, because I hope it can help others too. ^_^

21/10/2018 17:53Posted by Karanash

I don't know, the difference between the Shen'dralar Highborne exiles and the Magistocracy of Silvermoon is a vast world of difference

^ This is true. I love the regal feeling and atmosphere that the Sin'dorei give.
21/10/2018 14:47Posted by Blanes

Gnomes are pretty interesting. They generally don't have a particular interest in magic. And if they ever were to learn it, it would be to assist them with their technology, effectively becoming techno-mages.

I don't know where this comes from, gnomes are curious and intelligent which makes them quite perfect for mages, Jaina's apprentice was a gnome and there are several gnomes in the Kirin Tor as you can see of the npc's in Dalaran. And if I recall correctly the gnome racial which increase resource used to be only intellect but I can be wrong on this.
As for OP's question, for Alliance I'd say human /worgen if you want a mortal race with normal lifespan which you can associate to with real life. Otherwise Dark Iron are well known for being sorceress, they fit perfect for fire mages, but you could also be one who take distance from fire after the whole Ragnaros thing. Bronzebeards works well as well, you could have learned from the humans or from their dark iron cousins. I've already stated why I think Gnomes are a good pick.

For Horde I'd say a power greedy goblin or an undead, IMO undead have the best casting animations in game next to blood/void elf. Also it gives a whole new experience being a former now (un)dead human after having played a night elf.
23/10/2018 13:15Posted by Doltri
21/10/2018 14:47Posted by Blanes

I don't know where this comes from, gnomes are curious and intelligent which makes them quite perfect for mages, Jaina's apprentice was a gnome and there are several gnomes in the Kirin Tor as you can see of the npc's in Dalaran. And if I recall correctly the gnome racial which increase resource used to be only intellect but I can be wrong on this.

That's why I specifically said "particular" interest. Yes, some are more interested in it than others, but that really applies to most other races. That is why it's not a particular interest.