What benefit underlies BGs at this point?

Battlegrounds
Spamming battlegrounds is by far one of the best things about World of Warcraft.

I could certainly understand it not rewarding high-end gear seeing as how anybody could participate in them regardless of qualification, but bringing such a great part of the game to the point where it's so ridiculously disproportionate in terms of reward (8 CP per win after the daily for an over-half-hour affair, which isn't even worth it for the first win granting 40) relative to other activities just seems maddeningly unreasonable to me.
The least battlegrounds could do is serve as a platform that's used to quickly and casually cap conquest for those who like to lock themselves into a certain rating and only get one rated win in their bracket every week for the PvP chest, but being as useless as they are, literally nobody queues to play them and as a result, the queues are unbearably long. Why miss out on such an incredible feature?

Could this be clarified to me, perhaps, by a representative?
Que as Alliance mercenary , pretty much instant que.
Problem solved.
The queue times problem may be solved through this extremely lackluster solution, but there's still no reward-based incentive present to make us want to queue battlegrounds. I'm just wondering what logic there is behind this ordeal.
There will be soon, apparently. Tokens should be available for playing randoms, not as much as rated, granted but there notheless. Also, I read somewhere, the scrapper may give tokens from gear sometimes obtained from pvp too.
If this happens I am sure more people will do randoms. As it is now, there's not much point.
As there are less alliance players who are doing battlegrounds, the queue times for horde is always going to be more than the alliance wait. I can queue in a couple of minutes for an alliance battleground. For a horde one it can take upwards to 10 to 15 minutes at times.
08/11/2018 02:23Posted by Slackalice
There will be soon, apparently. Tokens should be available for playing randoms, not as much as rated, granted but there notheless. Also, I read somewhere, the scrapper may give tokens from gear sometimes obtained from pvp too.
If this happens I am sure more people will do randoms. As it is now, there's not much point.

That's fantastic news. Thank you for addressing my most relevant point. Do you happen to know what these tokens will be used for?