Please reconsider 2-in-1 subscription.

Classic Discussion
More subscriptions? No thanks!

I was thrilled to hear it'll be on the same subscription! Awesome decision <3
Most of these are simply downsides of having a larger initial interest in the game. While that does really involve some problems I think the upside of Classic having more potential to be a success is well worth it.

Token trading will probably happen to some degree. However I don't know how you would directly handle the trade safely. Someone has to go first and since it is not a real money transaction there is no obligation on the other person to honor the deal. Maybe with some kind of paid service that functions as an intermediary.
08/11/2018 23:42Posted by Cai
08/11/2018 20:42Posted by Weper
think the 2 in 1 ist the best solution. BFA player would not play with separated subscription.

and how is this a bad thing, people jumping from 1 game to another, causing un predictable traffic spikes on classic realm populations.
08/11/2018 20:42Posted by Weper
Separating subscriptions makes no sense, since both subscriptions would have the same price. I mean why sould they lower the price? You guys said no changes, so there will be no changes at the subscription price.

it doesn't make sense to anyone who wants to play both games, someone who cares only about classic or retail, doesn't freakin care one bit.

truth is, there is 2 major flaws for classic for having shared subscription,

1. unpredictable population spikes
2. gametime token being basicly for classic also.

and for what ? so we get live players jumping in and out from classic because it's free for them, it doesn't add anything positive to the game, except mayby to show off e-peen to public how well classic is doing By showing how many people play it... and even this can be considered negative thing for someone.

1 and 2 you are reaching and YOU KNOW IT... come up with better arguments than these ones and maybe people will listen.
Please keep it an unique subscription, thanks.
Whats the problem with having them share the same subscription? it will allow both to gain players. While i really want to play classic and i still play every expansion for a little while ( going to buy bfa within the next 2 months). I do really not want to pay seperately, because i feel like paying 2 subscriptions for the same game just to play on 2 different kind of servers would be too much. Plenty of people who still hold nostalgia for early wow also still play the latest expansions tho they do not spent as much time on them.

Not every blizz customer is an adult with a decent salary, i cant really see the biggest marketgroup (teens and students) be very willing to pay for the base game, the expansions and 2 seperate subscriptions. Concidering paying subscriptions for games already is not that common. Or people in some eastern european countries for example also dont always have as high salaries as we do in western europe.

We get it, you want to feel like an elitist on your very own little vanilla server. But even in vanilla wow there were tourists. New players who came to see what the hype of the game was all about. This is essentially the same as more recent new players from bfa coming to vanilla and ending up not knowing what to do. Seriously, I dont get why obviously played alot on private servers are so elitists. Obviously if its an official released version there are going to be some fresh noobs even after all these years
10/11/2018 04:08Posted by Nukeblast
1 and 2 you are reaching and YOU KNOW IT... come up with better arguments than these ones and maybe people will listen.

there isn't any other reasons that i've come up or seen.

and i don't give a damn is people listening to me or not, it doesn't make my arguments anyless true or wrong whatever people listen them or not.

we are getting market's to classic that never existed, yes it might be non-existant problem or bigger than you think, but fact is it's going to be there, small or big.

we are getting population spikes in classic because of this, and again, this may or may not be anykind of problem, but it's going to be there.
08/11/2018 21:34Posted by Blurey
08/11/2018 21:23Posted by Araxie
But if the tokens are only in retail and not connected in any way to classic, How does the money get to classic from retail ?

Think they mean more like if 180k gold=1 token on Retail and lets say thats = 1000 gold on Classic.I would then find a guy on Classic who would trade me the 1000 gold and offer that guy on Retail 180k gold.

It is the same principle like with old Gold sellers back in the day,but no longer the value is 10€ for your package deal ,but the price of the Token.

And just like normal gold selling it would be a bannable offence. There are issues with a joint sub but this is not one of them imo.
08/11/2018 19:36Posted by Yathri
Blizzard is not expecting to bank on Classic in the long term and so, will have it operate on a shoestring budget.

I don't really see anything wrong with that. It's the logical assumptions. I also don't expect the Classic hype to last that long.
Admittedly I am probably not up to date with all the information as I don't follow the game anymore as I used to. So please correct me if I'm wrong or provide me with a link where I can read up on the latest info. But I think it is safe to say that there will only be a very small playerbase that actually enjoy Classic and want to play it longterm (but even these players will get bored when there is no new content coming - as I said, not sure if there is any info on how that will be handled). The majority of players has nostalgia-goggles, and they will soon, as you can already read in the Classic forums now - miss the conveniences that current WoW provides, and return to that. Like.. "Classic WoW is great, but can we remove the pet feeding?" "Classic Wow is great, but can we get LFG?" "Classic wow is great, but can we include current feature x that makes the game more convenient?"

I give Classic a year tops, then the servers will be empty.
11/11/2018 08:53Posted by Lavean
Blizzard is not expecting to bank on Classic in the long term and so, will have it operate on a shoestring budget.

The majority of players has nostalgia-goggles, and they will soon, as you can already read in the Classic forums now - miss the conveniences that current WoW provides, and return to that. Like.. "Classic WoW is great, but can we remove the pet feeding?" "Classic Wow is great, but can we get LFG?" "Classic wow is great, but can we include current feature x that makes the game more convenient?"

I strongly disagree with you due to two things:

1. The players that are arguing for conveniences to be put into Classic is a very small minority
2. Those players aren't the target audience for this project, it's the players who left WoW when the game changed or stuck with it but preferred the Vanilla experience

This is pretty much the main argument for having two subscriptions, that if we have a separate one for classic servers we wont have to deal with the people making threads about wanting sharding, loot trading, 16 debuffs, faster regen and an overall nerfed experience.

There are tons of big streamers saying they'll return to Vanilla if it's good, all the players who don't play retail anymore but loved the old game as well as the retailers who've been told for over 10 years what a great game Vanilla WoW was without being able to experience it.

Blizzard wont announce sub numbers but at least at launch I imagine it'll be more popular than retail which is what, 3-4 million now and will drop even more until then. Within six months it'll probably halve when the players with ADHD leaves the game but will steadily build up during the course of Classic/TBC/Wrath.
11/11/2018 00:19Posted by Bumkin
And just like normal gold selling it would be a bannable offence. There are issues with a joint sub but this is not one of them imo.

I like the system they implemented,its the best one they could do.And from what i heard while talking with my friends they agree.But then again we where playing the game on/off since MoP(we quit Cata) and most of them played Vanila.

Not to mention once you hear those programmer guys talking about the Classic,you just get the feeling "shut up and take my money" make the game you rock!
Its like 11€ if you sub for 6 months,not to mention its a very cheap way of entertainment these days.You dont have to buy the Classic game,all you have to do is have an active sub,and you can if you will play the Retail version untill level 110.At least show some support and stop nagging.
Whilst I think you phrased your argument well, I don't agree.

Separate subscriptions will likely lead to a divide, most people choosing to only play one game and when they get bored of it maybe neither.

This decision makes the most sense from a Blizzard perspective and a players. It boosts total subscriptions and allows flexibility in what you play. Also a couple of your points can be countered by the "well just make yourself another account and only use it for classic" argument.
The whole argument is pointless if you have retail spend a hour a day doing gold missions or old content raids. This over a month is good enough for the token and its free. The logic is floorless
Two subs would be best. No one going back to the game for classic are going to waste a second on retail.
11/11/2018 11:03Posted by Mortheria
The whole argument is pointless if you have retail spend a hour a day doing gold missions or old content raids. This over a month is good enough for the token and its free. The logic is floorless

It's kinda true what they say but I wouldn't have THAT much of a problem with it, doesn't change the amount of money in Vanilla and if you wanna spend 10+ hours farming a token worth $13 then I'm fine with it, since those players most likely don't have a job and probably have a hard enough time as it is. It would be a big gold sink for retail though, but I don't play it anymore so personally I don't care.

11/11/2018 17:33Posted by Naranious
Two subs would be best. No one going back to the game for classic are going to waste a second on retail.

Probably not long-term no, but I imagine we'll get a generation of players who grew up with ipads instead of books and who'll get frustrated when the zones take 5x time to level through compared to retail and quit.

I think subs are gonna spike at launch, drop off a bit after a few months but then steadily climb after that.
09/11/2018 15:47Posted by Laenthis
And for the die hard Classic fans that stopped playing a long time ago, they will be able to try the retail servers and join friends that might still be playing with the same sub they are using to enjoy the good ol' days. And who knows, they might like it a bit too.

Glorious Classic players being tempted by the tainted wart that is Retail?!
P R E P O S T E R O U S
I would like to see separate subs but with large reduction if you get both.

And little cheaper for Classic(this is not a must :p )

I.E.

Retail 13€
Classic 12€
Both 15€
I entirely disagree with the OP. You are wrong on so many levels. Separate subs make zero sense.

It gives Blizzard a reason to cut corners on both games
This point hardly makes sense at all.

It makes Blizzard assume extremely low retention rate
People should stay because they like the game, or leave if they don't. Not feel locked in by a sub, lol.

It makes Blizzard prioritize a controlled launch experience
Hardly related to sub, not even sure what the point really is.

It negates the obvious gameplay possibility
Really?? You need to play TWO toons at the same time. I mean ...if you really need to do this have 2 accounts... wtf.

It targets the wrong crowd
Oh come on.....do you really get to decide who is playing for the right/wrong reasons and who should/should not play? lol.

It may encourage trading Modern and Classic gold
How can you not the see the GIGANTIC fallacy? Not everything works the same backwards. What you are imagining here is a scenario where you use classic gold, to buy BFA tokens. Good effing luck farming hundred of thousand of gold for a BFA token in classic. This is utter nonsense.

I really can't see why people are complaining when they get a free client download and the same sub as 14 years ago.

I am shocked by the number of upvotes this post received :|
I want to play both and would hate it to pay two subs.
The obvious solution that benefits all PLAYERS but not Blizzard is to offer 2 options

1. Normal sub. £10 pm. You get Live and Classic is a free bonus. No change for retail only players except they can play Classic if they want. If not, they lost nothing

2. Classic only sub. £5 pm. Since Classic requires no development and won't be getting extra content the lower sub fee can be justified. This is for the hundreds of thousands of players who ONLY want Classic

This gives players the option to pick what they want.
Why doesn't it benefit Blizzard? Because they want to milk Classic only players for £10pm.

I think it's a mistake because a lot of people won't want to pay full price for a game that's not getting any updates. And frankly, why should they?