Dps/dmg done - frost

Mage
How come im 10-13k dps in mythic + and pretty much #1 or #2 on dps.. (single target)

BUT

My dmg done is very often much lower than the others in the grp.
I dont have any downtime regardig dps on trash/boss...

So i dont understand how i can be topish dps, but 3-4 on dmg done without any downtime @ doing dmg.

Same goes in raid too....top dps, but kust above tanks on dmg done...

Makes me depressed...
12/11/2018 12:03Posted by Elamandrii
How come im 10-13k dps in mythic + and pretty much #1 or #2 on dps.. (single target)

BUT

So i dont understand how i can be topish dps, but 3-4 on dmg done without any downtime @ doing dmg.

Makes me depressed...

Same here. 15-17k dps in raid, and I'm almost last everytime. Locks with 13k tops damage for a reason.
13/11/2018 06:45Posted by Coldfearxx

BUT

Makes me depressed...

Same here. 15-17k dps in raid, and I'm almost last everytime. Locks with 13k tops damage for a reason.

I don't want to be the a**hole here but dude, you have green parses on heroic, no way u do 15-17 k on boss fights.. on ttaloc for example your best dps was 9k or so. I'm afraid its a big L2P issue.
13/11/2018 11:35Posted by Skorge
13/11/2018 06:45Posted by Coldfearxx

I don't want to be the a**hole here but dude, you have green parses on heroic, no way u do 15-17 k on boss fights.. on ttaloc for example your best dps was 9k or so. I'm afraid its a big L2P issue.

Well, you were an !@#$%^-. Then help, instead of talking bull*!@# Mr. Ohsocleverwarlock.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Well, you were an !@#$%^-. Then help, instead of talking bull*!@# Mr. Ohsocleverwarlock.

<span class="truncated">...</span>

Man, this is my alt and I am no expert as frost, so i can't tell you details, but it's not the first time you tell wrong numbers and complain about how you don't know what's going on. look.. you should study several guides and work on your performance. This is the best advice for you. Go hit the target dummy for some hours, it sure helps. This is not only about frost spec, but any spec in the game. watch and learn. You tell smth about 15-17 k on bosses but warcraftlogs says completely different results on any fight... I am sure on some point at the fight, say at the beginning you will have 15-17 k dps. I believe that.

But whats happening then? You die? You fail your rotation? Or do you count overall damage done? Trash damage done? Something must went horribly wrong and you should know what. When i play my mage and i screw up a fight i KNOW that.
13/11/2018 18:39Posted by Skorge

Man, this is my alt and I am no expert as frost, so i can't call you details, but it's not the first time you tell wrong numbers and complain about how you don't know what's going on. look.. you should study several guides and work on your performance. This is the best advice for you. Go hit the target dummy for some hours, it sure helps. This is not only about frost spec, but any spec in the game. watch and learn. You tell smth about 15-17 k on bosses but warcraftlogs says competely different results on any fight... I am sure on some point at the fight, say at the beginning you will have 15-17 k dps. I believe that.

But whats happening then? You die? You fail your rotation? Or do you count overall damage done? Trash damage done? Something must went horribly wrong and you should know what. When i play my mage and i screw up a fight i KNOW that.

Hes probably using recount which tracks dps differently than other dps adding. It doesn't count downtime and !@#$ from what I can tell

Man, this is my alt and I am no expert as frost, so i can't call you details, but it's not the first time you tell wrong numbers and complain about how you don't know what's going on. look.. you should study several guides and work on your performance. This is the best advice for you. Go hit the target dummy for some hours, it sure helps. This is not only about frost spec, but any spec in the game. watch and learn. You tell smth about 15-17 k on bosses but warcraftlogs says competely different results on any fight... I am sure on some point at the fight, say at the beginning you will have 15-17 k dps. I believe that.

Hes probably using recount which tracks dps differently than other dps adding. It doesn't count downtime and !@#$ from what I can tell

Yes, I use recount. So it's not good? Using it since Wotlk. :thinking:

BUT

Makes me depressed...

There is a lot of trash mobs in Mythic+ dungeons, and most other DPS have faster AoE cooldowns than us Mages as Frost. Other classes seem to perform better on AoE because of it (for example, the Eye Beams of a Demon Hunter), hence it will outweigh your overall damage. Because after all, in M+ dungeons, AoE damage is also essential. It's why most Mages don't go Arcane for M+, they are heavily concentrated on single target fights.

14/11/2018 10:16Posted by Coldfearxx

Yes, I use recount. So it's not good? Using it since Wotlk. :thinking:

People generally don't use it, because it doesn't register the moments when you're not doing any damage anymore. For example, the moment before G'huun becomes vulnerable, when the light beam is shooting down. This is where data simply pauses. Or when you die, your DPS sticks to the numbers you were doing before you died.

Details! is a handy addon that shows damage and other data accurately. Or Skada, as a lighter, simpler Add On.

I also recommend looking at overall damage with DPS in parentheses, so you can see the overall damage done, as well as DPS. It perhaps won't show much difference, but it will show the true damage done, and not just a calculation of damage per second.
Based on what i feel, Frost is fundamentally designed for AOE damaging. Frozen orb combined with blizzard reducing its cooldown deals a hefty damage. But unless you're fully geared, you'll always lack in damage department when it comes to raid bosses where it's usually a solo focused target. Personally, i recommend changing specs before fights. Taloc for example is the perfect boss for arcane or even fire to replace your frost aspect.