What are your oppinions on Noble titles?

Argent Dawn
Howdy! After some comments on my previous post about looking for someone to play my chars son character, I was faced with some oppinions about nobility as my char holds a lordship title wich holds no links with the question first asked so I think to bring the discussion here instead as I find it a interesting theme to discuss.
I think they're most irrelevant and unnecessary. People don't tend to agree with hefty noble titles unless you've got either a significant guild backing or unless you're a respected guy in the community.
23/10/2018 06:48Posted by Barxton
I think they're most irrelevant and unnecessary. People don't tend to agree with hefty noble titles unless you've got either a significant guild backing or unless you're a respected guy in the community.

Are there any characters out there with noble titles that you support?
I think people mostly accept Shonn now as having some form of random title, and I know people are accepting of Boen and he has the 'Lord-Paladin' rank?

I think the best types of Lords are the ones who rarely mention it.
Shonn is maybe one of the longest existing and still living nobles.

And yes, I agree, the best nobles are those whom does not smudge it into others faces, hence the reason of why I play my char as more of a fighter and respect type char instead of a selfish noble only fighting his own battles. Like the prison isles Harold holds are buildt to actually grant criminals a second chanse instead of forever end up in bars for all time as most of his guardsmenn and farmers at the isles are former prisoners. But that does not go for all at all, as those bad sods are either kept closed up or ended at the gallows at the end of their service.

Pretty much this, if someone wants to have a noble title and have IC backing for it by a fief or something of the sort then by all means. The only things I would argue are titles such as Paladin-Lord, Grand Magister, High Warlock etc. would be limited to guild titles and only accepted when referring to people in the guild rather than an overarching claim of any lore organizations but others would probably disagree. It all comes down to acknowledging that not everyone is going to accept it and that's fine, it's just how RP is when anyone is welcome to come and join.
23/10/2018 08:00Posted by Hlaren

Pretty much this, if someone wants to have a noble title and have IC backing for it by a fief or something of the sort then by all means. The only things I would argue are titles such as Paladin-Lord, Grand Magister, High Warlock etc. would be limited to guild titles and only accepted when referring to people in the guild rather than an overarching claim of any lore organizations but others would probably disagree. It all comes down to acknowledging that not everyone is going to accept it and that's fine, it's just how RP is when anyone is welcome to come and join.

Pretty much, yes. Thank you.
The best community is where things are kept to some limits but everyone has diffrent oppinions, so I understand well when someone dislikes my char for beeing a Lord, but I feel it is too farfetched when they get angered by it or start to use the ignore hammer.
I must admit, I haven't been looking into how the noobles are presented in the WoW lore, but I don't dislike the idea.

The whole hierarchy theme can be well played, if people are aware of manners and what is normal in the higher steps of the society ladder.

And some just have the titles, but not the riches or bloodrelation to back it up, so I believe it gives a lot of colour to a char, that you want to build as a noble.

As some stated, a guild or several guilds could make up a grand play.
I think... If it has some influence on how your character is played sure throw on a noble title.
If it doesn't however I don't see the need.
Having appropriate title that fits your character/storyline is already a decent reason as to why have it. But to have it just for the sake of getting some invisible upper hand over others IC is quite pointless, cause, as was already said, no one will bother paying any attention.
Players (especially on AD) are generally skeptical of ranks or titles which are (or can be perceived to be) added to your character just for the sake of having "power" over their characters. An important aspect of playing any character is to be able to do so in a way that makes others want to play with you - roleplay gets pretty lonely otherwise.

That said, if you're aware of how human nobility works in the Warcraft lore (because it is a bit different from the real world!) and make an interesting character to engage that has such a backstory, I'm all for it.
23/10/2018 08:54Posted by Aeílmar
Having appropriate title that fits your character/storyline is already a decent reason as to why have it. But to have it just for the sake of getting some invisible upper hand over others IC is quite pointless, cause, as was already said, no one will bother paying any attention.
I totally agree.
One cannot just put on tge noble titles and expect love and all that, it must still be earned.
But it doesn't need to be earned. You don't need some kind of approval from the AD (forum) community to play a noble. Nor do you need to be an 'established roleplayer' or have a big guild to back up your character's claim. You do you. If you want your character to be a lord or a lady then have at it.

You'll find there's people who will accept your character's nobility and people who will not, probably based on how you pull the concept off in their eyes.

There's tons of lords and ladies out there, and I doubt they got a note with permission saying 'yes, you can play a noble. THE COMMUNITY has decided'.

Play a noble who is all about his title and very much rubs it in people's faces if you want. You don't have to play the humble hero who is v. low key about his heritage because some people think that's the right way to play a noble.

(Edited to add some ehm.. nuance?)
Be noble, as long you won't rub it into people faces.

You can't also justify your actions just by "I can do this. I am Lord of X"

And no, you aren't just given the title. You are born by it. Molded by it. You mearly adopted the noble title.
23/10/2018 11:17Posted by Syanidi
Be noble, as long you won't rub it into people faces.

You can't also justify your actions just by "I can do this. I am Lord of X"

And no, you aren't just given the title. You are born by it. Molded by it. You mearly adopted the noble title.

I agree, Harold is the son of Count Tendrios, however his titles were given once he was of age. But as you say, by law he held it since birth.
23/10/2018 11:10Posted by Clementine
But it doesn't need to be earned. You don't need some kind of approval from the AD (forum) community to play a noble. Nor do you need to be an 'established roleplayer' or have a big guild to back up your character's claim. You do you. If you want your character to be a lord or a lady then have at it.

You'll find there's people who will accept your character's nobility and people who will not, probably based on how you pull the concept off in their eyes.

There's tons of lords and ladies out there, and I doubt they got a note with permission saying 'yes, you can play a noble. THE COMMUNITY has decided'.

Play a noble who is all about his title and very much rubs it in people's faces if you want. You don't have to play the humble hero who is v. low key about his heritage because some people think that's the right way to play a noble.

(Edited to add some ehm.. nuance?)

I play Harold as this Hero noble as it suits the character better. And I think I never asked of approval for the title either, just to get that out. I just made this post to ask about oppinions on nobility itself, not my own title as a whole.
And just to add, there is a diffrence between nobility and lordship as nobility is by birth, and lordship is when you own land and become a landlord.
That's fair.

It's just several responses are 'you can play a noble, just don't rub it in people's faces' and that's just something I generally disagree with. I think it can be good fun to rp a lofty noble who is all about his title and likes to rub it in people's faces. I quite like a bit of conflict rp, but that might just be me.

Edit; noble, landlord. It goes for either.

My post was more general and less aimed at you in specific :D
People like to express/tell others what they can and cannot roleplay and how they should roleplay specific concepts and pass their views on as truth. The 'not a ... IC' thread is another good example of that.
There are also diffrent nobles, as some are more high on themself than others XD