What are your oppinions on Noble titles?

Argent Dawn
You are either born a noble or kick so much !@# in war another noble or the king confers a noble title to you. Or provide a valuable service (such as doubling the income of the fief) and be buddies with a noble. And old nobles tend to resent the newly declared nobles, so there's that.

Also, you can RP as a landless noble, especially from seven kingdoms (except Stormwind) so you'd not need an IC excuse to explain how come you only have a rusty suit of armor and a lame horse if you are the Baron of Rottinghamshire. If you have a retinue of warriors (players in your guild), your claim would look stronger, might makes right and all.

It's fine if you want to rub your nobility in people's faces IN CHARACTER. Even today we see some people who receive meager amount of power/authority/public affection behave like they are gods, so when you are a noble who was taught from birth that they were special and had actual servants, castles/manors, combat training and respect from everyone (even though a bit less from your superiors but even they are obliged to treat you with some fairness) it's easy to be arrogant.

Also, whose vassal are you? If your lands are lost, you are no longer legally bound to serve the king unless he compensates the loss of the land through cash or a land grant of roughly equal value. Still, you can follow your king out of personal loyalty and hope to restore your fiefdom if your character's personality inclines towards that.

But since this is an MMORPG, even a leper gnome and his dog can flip you the bird when you demand respect as the Duke of Whateverdam, which is good since if it's only an IC disagreement it creates IC drama to solve. Just don't be a jerk OOC and don't worry about people who want to see your nobility license.
Harold like any other Merenhall, follows the Menethil bloodline.
It's fine as long as you keep it in moderation. For instance, I've RP'd that my character here as a Baron for years now but I've not really gone out of my way to rub it into people's faces.

It's a matter of how you present it. In a way the Swedish Jante Law (Social Norm) applies here, you are not better than anyone else.
Also, you can RP as a landless noble, especially from seven kingdoms (except Stormwind) so you'd not need an IC excuse to explain how come you only have a rusty suit of armor and a lame horse if you are the Baron of Rottinghamshire.

My horse isn't lame, yours is lame
23/10/2018 12:20Posted by Wiptail
Also, you can RP as a landless noble, especially from seven kingdoms (except Stormwind) so you'd not need an IC excuse to explain how come you only have a rusty suit of armor and a lame horse if you are the Baron of Rottinghamshire.

My horse isn't lame, yours is lame

I'd be offended...if I had a horse *walks in pleb*
23/10/2018 12:15Posted by Jaggerhawk
It's fine as long as you keep it in moderation. For instance, I've RP'd that my character here as a Baron for years now but I've not really gone out of my way to rub it into people's faces.

It's a matter of how you present it. In a way the Swedish Jante Law (Social Norm) applies here, you are not better than anyone else.

Jante loven is scandinavian, we have it in buckets in Norway aswell.
I don't mind them personally, but majority of them try to rub their titles in your face constantly. It does become tiresome.
23/10/2018 11:17Posted by Syanidi
Be noble, as long you won't rub it into people faces.

You can't also justify your actions just by "I can do this. I am Lord of X"

And no, you aren't just given the title. You are born by it. Molded by it. You mearly adopted the noble title.

I would say you CAN rub it in peoples faces....just expect people to IC-ly diss you for it. I would say that as long as it all remains in the IC sphere, i dont see why not.
23/10/2018 12:15Posted by Jaggerhawk

Liar :P
23/10/2018 14:37Posted by Wilcöx
I would say you CAN rub it in peoples faces....just expect people to IC-ly diss you for it. I would say that as long as it all remains in the IC sphere, i dont see why not.

Silence, peasant. Nobles are talking here. Pffft...Working class scum
The dead have no rights.....your title died with you or was passed on to your next of kin.....so....bugger off, corpse.
I picked up the title Lord from the first guild I ever joined back in classic, I only keep it with me to remind me of the other players that I meet back then as all but I think 2 have left the game sadly.

To me I will always be Lord Belauron, to other players just use %T and i'll answer.
Noble titles are absolutely fine, you don't need to justify it to anyone. Though I also think that to pull it off properly, you (speaking generally, of course) need to show the decorum and etiquette associated with the rank. You often see noble(wo)men speak like salty sailors in public, which kind of diminishes their believability to me.

However, no matter if I OOC-wise agree with them played properly or not, I always try to address them courteously and befitting of their status in society, IC. For I think that little things like that improve the RP atmosphere for others around me.
Ah yes, the salty nobles, can't get enough of them haha. Tgey do their best to be posh, but falls further than the ground reaches. If you need a great example of poshness, look no further than Dame Elizabeth Smithen. Truly great person and pulls the posh to where it should be.
I'd love a "Princess" or "Lady" title in game - not that I'm noble, but it seems like the perfect bratty prefix!
An' I wants it NOW!
23/10/2018 15:48Posted by Pinchpenny
I'd love a "Princess" or "Lady" title in game - not that I'm noble, but it seems like the perfect bratty prefix!
An' I wants it NOW!

Clearly you haven't been to Stormwind. The Lady title is more common than the Lord title.
The main gripe is depth. Noble titles are often utilised as the entirety of a character and mask the vacuity of the character's personality. It can be said for most RP tropes; the most interesting characters I've ever interacted with are the simplest of concepts whose personalities and qualities have been bred through their experiences as opposed to something preordained before the character ever stepped foot in the game world.

I suppose that's why I stick to my guns in terms of roleplay and enjoy the interactions with my guild mates; it's always much more rewarding to have a down to earth conversation with a simple farmer thrust into a life of war as opposed to a baron of this and a viscount of that and a whatever the hell who just stands around all day and whose only personality trait is that "these other nobles sit in their castles and do nothing, i actually fight for my people!"

It's just boring, really.
23/10/2018 15:37Posted by Hârold
If you need a great example of poshness, look no further than Dame Elizabeth Smithen. Truly great person and pulls the posh to where it should be.

I must say that my encounters with that character during the Drums of War campaign were the exact opposite. A constant barrage of swearing and f-bombs, with a First Glance stating she speaks archaic and eloquently. No hard feelings of course and please don't think I'm trying to discredit the character, but from my experience posh is the very last word I'd use to describe her!
23/10/2018 06:56Posted by Barxton
and I know people are accepting of Boen and he has the 'Lord-Paladin' rank?

Yeah, it's a title that was worked towards with the Call of the Silver Hand and is a canon rank within the Knights of the Silver Hand. I do think it's very detached from the 'Lord' rank, often times Boen corrects those that call him 'Lord Boen' as he doesn't consider himself a noble in that regard.

It's a nice rank to have but I feel as if there not really any where else to go for my character as RPing as a Lord Paladin is already a unique and high rank and I'd not like to go higher.

Often times when it does come to rank or nobility it is often just for specific events or to roleplay within your guild. I find it often disrespectful to walk into a meeting or head onto a battlefield and begin barking orders that'd disrupt an event both IC and OOC.

It's a 'know your audience' kind of thing. Some people will respect the rank that you have, some people won't find it meaning much, and others will attempt to challenge it at every corner.

Be respectful with your ranks and titles even on an OOC level, disrupting peoples RP because of it when it's not needed (It hardly is) is not the right way to go about it, that's my opinion.

Hopefully I didn't ramble on.
Titles of nobility outside of Stormwind mean little considering the rest of the ruined nature of the human kingdoms.

Oh so you're Lord of some-place in Alterac? Alterac hasn't existed as a kingdom for at least 15 years, if not longer.

Even the nobility in Stormwind are not feudalistic powers with a law unto themselves, they are far more similar to the nobility of 18th century France, wealthy, prestigious but who's power is directly controlled by a strong crown and bureaucracy.

As tempting as it is to roleplay Robb Stark trying to reclaim the nerth or a scheming Cersei Lannister wanting to purge the city of undesirables, this isn't the universe for it.