Raid armor sets 8.1 Mail set is a joke WTF

General
So they have released the new armor sets from the next raid and they look amazing bar the mail armor.

WTF is this mail set its the worse armor set i have seen in years. Even if you just go on details its very basic:

1: lack of details on the armor
2: lack of 3D textures on the armor
3: looks just like a the cloth set but scrub version

How the hell can you call this a raid set when you compare it to any of the other 3 sets?

https://www.wowhead.com/news=288126/bfa-pvp-season-2-and-battle-of-dazaralor-raid-sets-now-available-in-the-dressing
mail sets were always a joke, no?
"What the...did you just see a glory hole with teeth move around over by the bushes over there?"
"Glory hole? That's just Steve-the-Hunter looking for his pet."
Not to mention that's the mythic version of the set, I can't imagine what the normal version looks like. I like simple mogs, but that's just plain and boring.

On a brighter note though, OMG the horde PvP leather set :O
Alliance cloth is also very cool.
This has always been the case for mail.

The only set that’s ever been good is the SoO full body set.

We need more of those to be honest. No idea why it wasn’t implemented on multiple classes.
Sure mail sets are usually ugly, but this is clearly unfinished.
Mail never looks good. It's part of the reason why I main changed from hunter to druid, though this was back in vanilla/TBC. No matter what I equipped, my hunter looked ugly, and that never changed. Even with transmog available, it's almost impossible to find anything that looks somewhat decent, because mail items ARE ugly.

I haven't seen the sets you are talking about, but I bet leather doesn't have a robe again, because Blizzard forgot caster leather wearers excist this expansion.

So I am feeling your pain so badly, even though I am playing a class that usually have some of the best tier sets in the game.
I just saw the sets. Well, I just made a really angry post as I realized druids are YET again being forced to wear effin pants. I misclicked away my angry post by mistake due to my strong reaction and annoyance over it, so sadly you didn't get to see my tantrum about it. I even managed to make Chrome go fullscreen mode and open some settings by some random key bashing. I guess it was for the best, because I think I might have been banned from the forums for activating a large amount of profanity filters, or something.

Let's just say I think Blizzard should deactivate their transmog filters right now, because my druid needs to start wearing cloth to be able to look like a druid again, and I guess the same goes for shamans who like their kilts and robes. I can't believe they went away from caster mail and leather. Makes me want to slap the designers quite hard.

I just don't understand what they are thinking. They worry about what people transmog into, but they have no issue what so ever with destroying iconic class apperances.
Uh some mail sets do look good, atleast to my eye

SHAMAN (on female troll shaman)
Tier 2 was bloody amazing
Siege of Orgrimmar Dark Shaman set looks amazing
Vengeful Gladiators Ringmail armor (season3) (take helmet off)
Firelands set for shaman (take hlmet off)
Dragonsoul set to some degree works

HUNTER (on female nightborn hunter)
Heart of fear, yangul hunter is decent
Siege of Orgrimmar, well shoulders work
Legion season 1&2
Nighthold is decent
Antorus (mythic apart from gloves) looks semi decent, love helmet

Best mail set is most parts combination of things, helmet is in sets always the crappiest (nearly always)

We have no sweet skulls like dks, warriors, we have no sexy furs like leather users have
Just a question, since mail is always in an odd place, could someone who has been repeatedly let down by the design link an image of what they envision mail armor should look like? Historically and also in typical fantasy it's just cloth and ringmail and in my opinion we have many of those sets.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, I'm just curious as to what expectations people have.
24/10/2018 08:22Posted by Thedice
Just a question, since mail is always in an odd place, could someone who has been repeatedly let down by the design link an image of what they envision mail armor should look like? Historically and also in typical fantasy it's just cloth and ringmail and in my opinion we have many of those sets.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, I'm just curious as to what expectations people have.

I expect the armor to look as good as the other sets. My main issue is that:

Feet
hands
legs
robe

All seem to have 0 to a very small amount of 3d textures on them hell looking at the armor its far more cloth than mail.
24/10/2018 08:22Posted by Thedice

The WoW hunter is usually portrayed through their armor sets as brutal murderers. The's grotesque tiers sets like the murloc set and the gronntalker set, and then you have tier 4 which was a demonic fel set.

When I started playing this game, I started as a Nightelf hunter going through Kalimdor as my first impression of the game. My impression was that hunters were connected to nature, and even though wearing mail I've always viewed them as wearing hoods and non grotesque armor sets, kind of like the dwarven hunters from the first cinematic, and then you have The Windrunner sisters, which are wearing pretty much exactly what I portayed the hunter class as wearing. Sadly, this is not Blizzard's idea of the playable hunter at all. If you go through the hunter sets through this game, you'll see hunters mostly having brutal looking sets and often with a lot of variations of colours going on. The sets simply look like a complete mess.

Obviously this is my opinion, but hunter apperance had been been brought up so many times in conversations with people I've played with through the years, and there seems to be a large agreement that if you want to look good, you don't play a hunter, or you just have to accept that you will never be able to look good.

This is Aylish btw, and I am now posting on my original main from 2006, which was this hunter. I have managed to mog her into what is closer to what I pictured when I leveled my hunter, but the options are very few and I have very little to play with to reach this idea of how I think hunters should look, simply because there are so many horrible looking pieces out there. I am not happy with this mog either, but I haven't been able to create something that works for me. This is the closest I got, but I am really missing the hoods! Just getting the hoods for the hunters would do a lot!

...And don't even get me started on weapons. The weapons often don't watch the sets at all. Most weapons seems to end up completely misplaced with the rest of the armor, and obviously there isn't as many weapon options either. Personally I have never liked guns for my nightelf. It looks completely wrong, and feel way more fitting for a dwarf. But yeah, obviously there aren't many bows to pick between.

As for actual sets in the game, I do like the SoO normal version tier set. Without the helmet obviously. The reason for that is that the set looks clean, and not like a dirty rainbow. Like I said above, for some reason mail have a tendency of having a lot of colours going on on many of the pieces, this is an eye sore to me. I can do various colors on sets, but they just don't seem to be able to make colours work together on mail sets. The normal version of the SoO set is an an example the only set of that series that where I feel the colours compliment eachother. The LFR and Mythic versions look messy to me again due to colour choices. This is not me not liking the WoW colour style, because I only seem to have this problem with the Hunter/Mail sets at large amounts. All the other classes seem to have far more esthetically(sorry, can't spell the word) pleasing sets even though color combinations are seen used for all classes. It just fails a lot more often for hunters in my opinion. Far more often.
Only cloth looks good anyway~
Oh my god what is that abomination? It looks like it should be the LFR version of the cloth set >.>
Not impressed with any of the raid sets so far.
Loving the warfronts gear though! I'll be happy with that.
I think there is alot of good looking mail sets and items, but theres also a ton of boring ones, especially greens and blues. This new set looks very boring, there doesn’t even seem to be any glow effects at all? And robe on hunters, really?

I feel like mail is the most useless armor type, since only 2 classes can use it. They should have just made hunters use leather and shamans cloth or leather.
24/10/2018 09:09Posted by Julia
And robe on hunters, really?

I actually missed that bit during my tantrum regarding no robes for druids..

But, either they need to lift the transmog restrictions greatly, or they need to start creating robe and tunic versions of the chest pieces for mail and leather. Preferably all chest pieces they create.

I absolutely adore robes on my druid. I always make her wear robes(and there are no leather robes from BFA content, for the first time in an expansion history I believe). I find them very iconic for the druid class, but for my hunter... I can't wear robes on her. That's just wrong, so yeah, I we really need two versions of these chest pieces, at least for mail and leather classes which have both casters and melee in their ranks.
24/10/2018 09:23Posted by Aylish
creating robe and tunic versions of the chest pieces for mail and leather

Doesn't most leather have this, at least all many WoD leather sets had both options?

24/10/2018 08:47Posted by Eyovy
Just getting the hoods for the hunters would do a lot!

https://www.wowhead.com/item=124294/coif-of-untrue-sight&bonus=1801
Did you check this one? I prefer the other version that is not pulled over the head because makes my goblin look like he's wearing a hoodie.

WoD and early Legion had alot of non-savage hunter sets, much akin to the overall theme of your current mog.

P.S. Thedice here on my hunter
Doesn't most leather have this, at least all many WoD leather sets had both options?

Sadly it don't.

BFA is completely stripped of leather robes. It's all tunics and pants. The first tier set of Cataclysm got a remake for this expansion though(Fire druid set, also used on the NPC's in Firelands), but if I remember correctly this set is a cometic rare reward from Island Expeditions(?), and after all... It is a rework of a very old set, meaning it doesn't have the BFA "naval" theme, which is very disappointing.
The only mail sets that are decent for a hunter are Nighthold and Antorus, and maybe shaman recolor from Heart of Fear or Terrace of Endless Spring (the neon feathery shoulders and chest). The rest are taxidermy horrors.