Just remove item level

General
Removing the item level from gear would solve some big problems we have now...

Sure, I know (and I experienced) why it was implemented in the first place, but the long run problems of having Item Level are way way worse and impact the game in a more negative way when compared to a "Gearscore" add-on...

For example, the Azerite traits problem. When we didn't had Item level, most of us didn't really cared about the origin of that piece of gear. As long it was the better option we had... I remember in Vanilla and TBC to walk around with pieces of gear for many many months because it was simply the best option, even if it came from a lower raid tier. Zandalarian Hero Charm for example. Now people are freaking out and massively complaining that you get a 370 item that in theory is worse than a 355 because of the traits it has.

Another example, although this is more subjective, is that Item Level removes the mysticism of getting new gear. If you do a raid, you know from the start that you will get xxx item level gear from this boss and yyy from that boss. And in theory the higher number should be better. This sucks in a RPG. You should always have to think a bit when you get a new piece of gear if it is, or not better than what you have equipped. Sure, before Item Level we knew the bosses loot table, but that, by itself, doesn't remove that excitement and mystery of receiving a new item. Now everything is just so mechanized... You can just remove all stats of a piece of gear and just have the item level, because the stats are doing nothing there.

There are many more examples on how the Item Level impacts negatively the game. Plus, I'm pretty sure that you could block or at least make it very very time consuming to Gear Score addons to work so they wouldn't be viable for most players.
You can't remove item level. It's not really a title per se.

The higher the item level, the higher the stat budget.

That's basically what item level means. If a piece of gear has high item level, then it has lots of stats.
If a piece of gear has a low item level, then it has few stats.

Originally Blizzard didn't show the actual item level on items, it was just an internal number Blizzard used to balance the power of the loot in the game.

Then the addon community created an addon called Gearscore, which basically translated the stat budget of an item into its item level, and then everyone started using gearscore as a way to determine the quality of people's gear.

So now that the addon existed there wasn't any need to hide the item level number anymore, so Blizzard just made it show up by default, so now everyone can compare the stat budgets of items without having to count up all the stats.

So yeah, item level = number that describes how many stats are on a piece of gear.
So you can't really remove item level from the game, as that would mean removing gear entirely :P
i would love the removal of ilvl .. also the removal of stats and the removal of rng ..

doing that would turn the game into a RPG about the story , and not a slot machine based on progression.
Higher ilvl is not always better, and this is especially true in BFA.
This is especially true for trinkets/rings/and azerite, basically half your gear.
Ilvl is a fail, you have to think A LOT before equipping a piece of gear, even if it's higher than your current one, and the fact that it's not like that makes the ilvl a fail.

25/10/2018 01:51Posted by Darthtoon
i would love the removal of ilvl .. also the removal of stats and the removal of rng ..

doing that would turn the game into a RPG about the story , and not a slot machine based on progression.

If you think that people play WoW for the bit of story every 4 months you are wrong. With that design this game would die in 6 months.
We still had people using pieces of EQ from previous raids in Legion.
Unstable Arcanocrystal, raid tier 2-pieces, etc.

Item level is a progression system once you hit max character level. What's the point of hiding it?
Cuz that's how it was in the past - it was there but it was hidden from players.

I agree we should have more impactfull gear pieces from different sources/difficulties (like trinkets having extra Equip effect when dropped from mythic in comparison to normal/lfr).

But it's not itemlevel that is a problem. R.IO is.
I do not bother with R.IO, I've got a in-game community that hates it and we're doing our runs with chill.

:)
I’m not sure “Best mage world” will agree with you! :)

Thank god Blizzard doesn’t listen to people like you
If Blizzard remove ilvl, then the player base will simply switch to an addon that does something similar. Even way back before ilvl was even a thing, people were using addons, third party websites (does anyone remember be.imba from back in TBC/WotLK days). It has existed throughout most of WoW's history, removing the in-game ilvl one won't change anything.

And u would get bored after completing the story line . Thus u will play less then 1 month at best .
The game advanced here to this state because people love progression and it's embedded into our brains .
25/10/2018 10:53Posted by Aarna

And u would get bored after completing the story line . Thus u will play less then 1 month at best .
The game advanced here to this state because people love progression and it's embedded into our brains .

That's a bold statement. Source?
I play for the story (which I can't fully enjoy because it is locked behind a raid) besides the story I enjoy playing to make my character look cool. The only way I can get behind your statement is if you classify transmogs as progression, which I wouldn't.
Even if you remove itemlevel Gearscore will just come back as an addond and it will change nothing

RPGs are also about character progression and this will remove that too.
I lvl does not really matter. The gear you get is still the same you still know the stats you want and the breakpoints you want to reach. It would not really change anything.

Ilvl itself means nothing, it is just the sum of the stats you have acquired on your items, nothing else.

They could remove it, but it would not really achieve or change anything, so why bother?
My view on item level:

1. The more the add content, the more confusing item level will be.
2. They should do item level per content and not increase by difficulty.
3. They should do above and just increase the stats, including titanforge/warforge.

Simple and easy. Maybe add 5 item levels for each difficulty, but the way it is atm, its abit confusing.