Unreasonable limitations for RU players

General
29/10/2018 23:39Posted by Gnomewicked
29/10/2018 22:39Posted by Espanca
Please be a troll

As you can see, I am no troll, but a gnome, and a wicked one at that.

29/10/2018 22:39Posted by Espanca
I play portuguese in any language server except russian, no idea why.

I do not quite understand the point you are trying to make here. Could you kindly elaborate?

I misread a bit of what you wrote, but still, why would visiting Russia be a unpleasant experience?

What i meant is I need to change from portuguese to russian to play on russian servers, but dont dont need to change from portuguese to play on spanish, italian or english servers and I dont unserstand why.
Dont know if on german and french servers can play portuguese too
29/10/2018 23:55Posted by Espanca
I misread a bit of what you wrote, but still, why would visiting Russia be a unpleasant experience?

It was just a side remark from my personal experience of having lived there for many years.

29/10/2018 23:55Posted by Espanca
What i meant is I need to change from portuguese to russian to play on russian servers, but dont dont need to change from portuguese to play on spanish, italian or english servers and I dont unserstand why

Well, that is practically the same problem that I have.
I play on a EU server. So I guess I pay the same amounts as all European players. I have no problems in communication with English speaking people in game. My character name is in English. Most of time I use and want to use English interface. But sometimes when I level up my alts I would like to read quest descriptions in Russian. But I can't because Blizzard don't let me to switch to Russian language.

Why?

Blizzard says it's because of Russian grammatical cases. Sorry but I don't believe it. Using of grammatical cases is not a rocket science. And all quest descriptions have already been translated into Russian. So I don't understand why we have this restriction in WoW.
Is this an issue that could/would be solved by 'language packs' being available, like MS Office™ used to (maybe still does) offer?

The only difficulty I can see, as Lisma outlined, would be the sudden thinking of, "Bored with English, I want to 'play in Russian'..."; how would the game know which language set to use...?

As far as language grammar rules, I don't know how they work for Russian to know how badly the Russian translations are in WoW; if they are passable or accurate, then I can only think that Blizzard don't want to be bothered to have two language sets running at the same time, within the same instance of the game... for the player to jump from one to the other at a seconds' notice.

Add in the option to have Cyrillic Russian text & phonetic Russian text (does that exist?) & you make the problem even more complicated - voice files are easy; only two options.

If any of this is too wide of the mark to be relevant to the thread, please ignore it rather than berate me... I'm just offering input from an observation point-of-view.
To take an example from a film called Firefox, the main character was told that to use the thought-controlled weapon system of the 'plane he was stealing, he had to 'think in Russian, not transpose from English'.

If an individual player is equally able to think in Russian and English, then I can see how the problem of multi-language gaming would be present.
this is weird because the english client supports and can utilise cyrillic, ie; i can speak to others in russian without having to anglicise the words in the client

having the option to change the interface language to russian would be helpful
29/10/2018 09:18Posted by Elcowerino
29/10/2018 08:52Posted by Vaaleera
Reminds me of the time I bought a game card bound on Russia.

I think this limitations are due to the poor connections you might have if they would link the service. EU would probably have a hell of latency and you would depending with whom you are paired the same.

I don't have knowledge on how the info is getting transitioned across the globe for Russia but I am assuming it might be that as well.

lmao, russian servers are housed in the same data centers as the english servers
a russian player [edit] yes i know how big russia is, vladivostok residents excluded :P] is closer to the amsterdam data center than me and i have 60 ms
plus they already play with us...so how so do you came up with this?

and a more technical answer: hurricane electric has a strong presence in russia, so it doesn't "go around the globe" they tap directly to eu exchange points

Of course we already play with them that doesn't mean they don't lag.

I based my analysis on Dota servers, were the latency is pretty high on Russia.

Assumed he was the same case here.
30/10/2018 14:04Posted by Eighjan
I can only think that Blizzard don't want to be bothered to have two language sets running at the same time, within the same instance of the game... for the player to jump from one to the other at a seconds' notice.

No need to have two languages in the same instance of the game. One launch - one language.

Open Batttle.net client and log in into any EU account. Open "Settings", choose "Game Settings" tab. You will see two settings for WoW: "Text Language" and "Spoken Language". You can choose, for example, French. Run WoW on any English server and WoW will be successfully run in French. You can choose Russian. But when you try to run WoW you will get an error from server. Don't close Battle.net client, just relog into any RU account and again run WoW on Russian server. It will be successfully run in Russian.

So there is a restriction that you can't use Russian language on EU servers. At the same time you can use other non-English languages on the same EU servers.

Also in "General" tab there is a "BATTLE.NET LANGUAGE" option. You can choose "Russian" and Batttle.net client will be successfully restarted in Russian even if you have logged in into an EU account.

EDIT. If I remember correctly several years ago I could play WoW in Russian on EU English server. But I can be mistaken.
how would the game know which language set to use...?

Well, change the language in game settings?

As far as language grammar rules, I don't know how they work for Russian to know how badly the Russian translations are in WoW;

Russian translations are very bad in my personal opinion, but certainly passable by any standards imaginable.

I fail to see how grammar rules could be of any relevance here, it isn't like the game translates anything: it simply has separate sets of data tables with contents in respective languages, and some text is requested from the servers where, to my knowledge, it is stored in a similar manner.

If any of this is too wide of the mark to be relevant to the thread, please ignore it rather than berate me... I'm just offering input from an observation point-of-view.

Any input is valuable if made by a reasonable person with constructive intent
29/10/2018 23:46Posted by Gnomewicked
29/10/2018 22:48Posted by Someoneelse
  • You get your sub much cheaper than the rest of Europe.

• Personally, I do not, because I do not live in Russia.

In any case, what sort of deal is that? "You can pay less, but you can't have the premium language"? And, by the way, a deal that players in Russia are forced to accept. What if someone would rather pay more but have access to English localisation?

The opens more questions however...

I dont know how long you've been playing the game but the Russian region was separate when it launched and had it's own client. Eventually the numbers decreased so much they closed the Russian region and added the remaining servers into the European Region and still maintaining the Russian client.
    28/10/2018 22:51Posted by Calydor
    Unfortunately the developers don't care about the EU forums at all, your best bet would be poking them on Twitter as 140 characters per post is all they can focus on.

Ho ho, ha ha, hee hee.

Loved this a lot.
    30/10/2018 23:24Posted by Someoneelse
    I dont know how long you've been playing the game but the Russian region was separate when it launched and had it's own client. Eventually the numbers decreased so much they closed the Russian region and added the remaining servers into the European Region and still maintaining the Russian client.

But when Russia servers were joined with the rest of Europe didnt the clients merged?
    Cause I only have 1 Bnet install and can play in any server with it
    30/10/2018 23:41Posted by Espanca
    30/10/2018 23:24Posted by Someoneelse

But when Russia servers were joined with the rest of Europe didnt the clients merged?
    Cause I only have 1 Bnet install and can play in any server with it

Nope when you click on a Russian realm you get a language compatibility message and it stops you. I assume you get a similar message with the Russian client.
    30/10/2018 23:50Posted by Someoneelse
    Nope when you click on a Russian realm you get a language compatibility message and it stops you. I assume you get a similar message with the Russian client.

Yes but then I just go to Bnet settings and change language and can play. Client is still the same no?
    31/10/2018 00:00Posted by Espanca
    30/10/2018 23:50Posted by Someoneelse

Yes but then I just go to Bnet settings and change language and can play. Client is still the same no?

I suspect it'll re-download stuff if not a full reinstall. I suspect it's the latter judging by the OP's complaint.
    because of russia token prices are above 100k even
    31/10/2018 01:37Posted by Néckbeard

Zack?
    31/10/2018 01:37Posted by Néckbeard

I saw them range from 170 to 190, but according to the relevant statistics, it is in line with other european prices.
    31/10/2018 00:27Posted by Someoneelse
    31/10/2018 00:00Posted by Espanca

I suspect it'll re-download stuff if not a full reinstall. I suspect it's the latter judging by the OP's complaint.

Once you have had your client in both English and Russian, it retains the relevant localisation files and you do not need to download anything. You do need to go to settings and change the client language every time you wish to switch servers, which also means restarting the client, and is irritating.
    The more barriers there are to keep the Russians away from continental European servers the better, frankly.